• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spriig

Banned
So the UK price has thrown me off a bit. Think i'm going to wait until I get my hands on one until i make the big decision. Im almost certain to get the 16gb if anything, I cant justify spending £100 for an extra 14gig. Any screenshots of Winterboard modded iPad's yet?

Y2Kev said:
It's not that limiting. I was watching TV with Slingplayer and managed to keep the video running while checking the scores in MLB.TV with Safari open. But, for whatever reason, if you open iPod eighty years ago and played a podcast, both iPod and the video player stay in memory. You can't kill them without the system freaking out.

Steve made a comment about "once you include a task manager, you've lost" or something comment in the OS 4 presentation, but he's basically backed his users into a corner by sticking 256mb of RAM into a computing device like the iPad. If I don't manage my own memory, the system will start closing problems it sees fit. This means you could be logged out of AIM by the system. I am much happier just managing my memory.
here here.

Charred, can you tell us more about "the swapfile method"?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Charred Greyface said:
Read this WARNING Vroom is fake very carefully. Then see here iPhone/iTouch Virtual Memory, iPhoneVM - Extra RAM for 3G, and/or iPhone Swap Space. Or skip all that, search for iPhoneVM (for 3.0x) in Cydia. Don't forget to backup before trying anything ;)

Still syncing. This might be a new personal record...
The only real negative here seems to be the wearing of the flash drive. That makes me very hesitant to do this. That and I don't really have a RAM problem as long as I carefully monitor my usage.

japtor

Charred Greyface said:
Well killing daemons is not the only way to get more RAM to work with. You should try the swapfile method...

I hope the comicbook apps follow Omni's lead and register cbz/cbr as their formats.

Sycing is taking too long these days. Both iPad and laptop has been locked up for the past hour and I'm not even halfway done. All for a few measely fonts :/
You might as well try suggesting it to them directly, not really sure it'd work though to be honest. To do the open with thing from another app I bet it has to download the file first (I'm guessing official included formats just get downloaded to a cache and viewed with the system wide preview thing), if so there'll still be a long wait somewhere in the process.

As for virtual memory, other than being bad for flash memory, the flash memory itself is also slow. The more you have to swap the shittier the experience becomes. Not that I'm saying killing apps isn't shitty, but if the effect is hidden enough (like with what they're trying in 4.0) then it's less of an issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Spriig said:
So the UK price has thrown me off a bit. Think i'm going to wait until I get my hands on one until i make the big decision. Im almost certain to get the 16gb if anything, I cant justify spending £100 for an extra 14gig. Any screenshots of Winterboard modded iPad's yet?
Isn't it only £70 more for the 32gb over the 16gb? It's £100 for 32->64 which seems out of step because the US price steps are all uniform

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Arse. Hope the UK iPad store comes soon, just got stuck. I bought popular science from the UK store on iTunes and synced it across. Unlike Time, they have notifications of new issues and in-app purchasing. But that means you can only buy new issues direct from the iPad. And the iPad only currently works with a US account, so I'm stuck..

LCfiner

mrklaw said:
Arse. Hope the UK iPad store comes soon, just got stuck. I bought popular science from the UK store on iTunes and synced it across. Unlike Time, they have notifications of new issues and in-app purchasing. But that means you can only buy new issues direct from the iPad. And the iPad only currently works with a US account, so I'm stuck..
Same here. Waiting till next months international launch before I can get the new pop sci issue.

Also of note. Time came out with a new free app that will let you buy issues inside the app. They've abandoned the silly single app per issue thing.

They also said they're doing some subscription thing later on.

ridley182 said:
Yup, it's got tons of support from developers, tons of content, and amazing hardware...

...oh wait :lol
actually, webOS is a good platform with good support.

it's ideal for a tablet. though if you've never used it, I can imagine the skepticism.

giga

ridley182 said:
Yup, it's got tons of support from developers, tons of content, and amazing hardware...

...oh wait :lol
While it is an infant platform, the potential is huge. A far more polished OS than Android. I hope HP doesn’t fuck it up because the iPad needs competition.

Dreams-Visions said:
actually, webOS is a good platform with good support.

it's ideal for a tablet. though if you've never used it, I can imagine the skepticism.
WebOS is a good OS (I agree that it's the best multitasking OS), not a good PLATFORM. As a platform it is incredibly mediocre and limited. Content is KING.

On a side note: WebOS means "balls" in Spanish

EDIT: I really need to stop using so many smileys...

LCfiner

ridley182 said:
WebOS is a good OS (I agree that it's the best multitasking OS), not a good PLATFORM. As a platform it is incredibly mediocre and limited. Content is KING.

On a side note: WebOS means "balls" in Spanish

EDIT: I really need to stop using so many smileys...

"WebOS" to "huevos" is a stretch but it’s still funny, I guess :lol

The platform term can be interpreted different ways on the forum, I guess. I think it’s a decent platform as defined by it being a good base to start a tablet. since it’s based on touch and multitasking and efficiency.

Win 7 was not a good platform, in that regard, to start a tablet.

I was really thinking of getting Palm OS for my future Tablet, but it just doesn't have enough support. Hopefully that will change.

But being honest even the Android doesn't have the plethora of apps to support some my interests (so far).

LCfiner said:
"WebOS" to "huevos" is a stretch but it’s still funny, I guess :lol
Oh I know, but when you read it it sounds exactly the same :D

It reminds me of that story used in marketing classes, where an American company tried to market a car named "Nova" in Latin America which sounds like "No go" in Spanish and so the car bombed.

ridley182 said:
Oh I know, but when you read it it sounds exactly the same :D

It reminds me of that story used in marketing classes, where an American company tried to market a car named "Nova" in Latin America which sounds like "No go" in Spanish and so the car bombed.

Or when Microsoft tries to market the Xbox in Japan.

ridley182 said:
wait...you're blaming the platform for having less content? :lol

that's like saying OSX isn't a great platform because it doesn't have the sales or content to compare with Windows' endless supply of...everything. Content is "King", right? :lol

I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about, good sir. Content on platforms is a function of sales and popularity...and is not typically a barometer of the quality of the platform itself less OSX, Linux, Android and everyone else with "less content" than some other competitor all be condemned by your measure of good and bad.

WebOS is an excellent platform (OS) with the best multitasking and alert implementation in the business by far. on a tablet, it should be very good. It enjoys strong support and easy cross-OS programming (very easy to port to and from). It's biggest problem was that Palm was on their way out. Now that they have a deep pockets to spend on marketing and such...I suspect it will be an excellent competitor.

but whatever. no big deal.

mAcOdIn

WebOS is a much better fit for a tablet than Android is. WebOS is a great base of code to launch anything on to be honest. People bitch about hardware and that's probably the easiest problem to address in the phone and tablet industry, I just don't think it's an issue at all. If Palm and Apple's app stores were equal and the hardware was more or less equal I'd say the WebOS device had the better chance of fulfilling all a person's needs. Apple has a great store, a good OS but I think they've gimped their OS a little too much. That said, I think Apple's still in a better position than Palm because they can open up their software some and that's entirely within their control where as attracting developers to Palms app store, that's not completely in Palms hands.

Palm would need to work out some quirks in regards to their OS though, just thinking about it I think I'd find having to move a "card" all the way off the top of the screen to close it would be a pain in the ass on a tablet, it's fine on a little phone where it's basically a flick of the finger but I don't want to have to traverse 9 damn inches. But I think Palm can do it. Apple and Palm have shown they can make UI's that are consistent and fairly user friendly, the one thing Google has not shown it's able to do. I think that's the biggest thing. You may have excellent coders but if you suck at making a coherent user experience and a friendly interface I think you'll ultimately fail in this arena. I can be wrong though, a lot of people allow their "techiness" to shine through on their mobile devices by Jalibraking their iphones/ipads or rooting their Droids so perhaps there is a big enough market for people who will willingly put up with a lot of bullshit just for flexibility.

I still think Android is too much of a mess for a tablet, or a phone, to be honest.

mAcOdIn said:
WebOS is a much better fit for a tablet than Android is. WebOS is a great base of code to launch anything on to be honest. People bitch about hardware and that's probably the easiest problem to address in the phone and tablet industry, I just don't think it's an issue at all. If Palm and Apple's app stores were equal and the hardware was more or less equal I'd say the WebOS device had the better chance of fulfilling all a person's needs. Apple has a great store, a good OS but I think they've gimped their OS a little too much. That said, I think Apple's still in a better position than Palm because they can open up their software some and that's entirely within their control where as attracting developers to Palms app store, that's not completely in Palms hands.

Palm would need to work out some quirks in regards to their OS though, just thinking about it I think I'd find having to move a "card" all the way off the top of the screen to close it would be a pain in the ass on a tablet, it's fine on a little phone where it's basically a flick of the finger but I don't want to have to traverse 9 damn inches. But I think Palm can do it. Apple and Palm have shown they can make UI's that are consistent and fairly user friendly, the one thing Google has not shown it's able to do. I think that's the biggest thing. You may have excellent coders but if you suck at making a coherent user experience and a friendly interface I think you'll ultimately fail in this arena. I can be wrong though, a lot of people allow their "techiness" to shine through on their mobile devices by Jalibraking their iphones/ipads or rooting their Droids so perhaps there is a big enough market for people who will willingly put up with a lot of bullshit just for flexibility.

I still think Android is too much of a mess for a tablet, or a phone, to be honest.
and all of that will be why the iPad wins. But WebOS and Android will field decent alternatives for the anti-Apple crowd.

Terrell

So how does this in-store pickup reservation thing work? Vancouver Apple Stores are gonna be mighty busy, wanna make sure I can get one set aside for me.

Terrell said:
So how does this in-store pickup reservation thing work? Vancouver Apple Stores are gonna be mighty busy, wanna make sure I can get one set aside for me.

You gotta order online starting May 10th, and on the shipping address I'm guessing you can point it to an in-store pickup. (That's how it would work with BB or FS or whatnot) Otherwise, get ready to wait in a lineup.

EDIT: Maybe US-GAF can speak as to whether you get billed first, but I'm guessing you give em payment info online and they don't charge your card until pickup.

Dreams-Visions said:
WebOS is an excellent platform (OS) with the best multitasking and alert implementation in the business by far. on a tablet, it should be very good. It enjoys strong support and easy cross-OS programming (very easy to port to and from). It's biggest problem was that Palm was on their way out. Now that they have a deep pockets to spend on marketing and such...I suspect it will be an excellent competitor.

but whatever. no big deal.
....really? Wow :lol sounds like someone is chronically out of touch with reality. Also, OS ≠ Platform, the OS is just an element of a platform. A platform is much more than just an OS, thinking otherwise just shows how shortsighted you are (http://www.wisegeek.com/in-computing-what-is-a-platform.htm).

- WebOS App catalog and quality sucks. Who do we blame here, Palm or developers? http://www.gadgetteaser.com/2009/11/16/facebook-for-webos-is-as-weak-as-the-app-catalog/
- WebOS hardware sucks (and with HP it looks like this trend will continue) http://www.pcmech.com/article/hp-support-problems-cheap-hardware-or-both/
- The few WebOS developers are migrating to either Android or iPhone
- There is absolutely ZERO synergy between WebOS and ANYTHING out there (which Palm pathetically tried to solve by hijacking iTunes from time to time). There are exceptions like Facebook, but everything nowadays comes with Facebook integration, not exactly a WebOS strength http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/palm-webos-1-1-now-available-fixes-itunes-sync/
- SEVERE lack of a comprehensive ecosystem
- Heck, even Web OS users think it sucks, beating WinMo on the suckage scale http://www.mediabistro.com/mobileco...mobile_webos_are_in_for_tough_2010_147839.asp)
- "Now that they have a deep pockets to spend on marketing and such..." Oh yes, let's patch up WebOS suckage with marketing monies. Yup yup, sounds like a plan alright.

But by all means, let's carry on with this fantasy of yours. No big deal am i rite :lol

EDIT:

Schrade said:
It's pronounced Web Oh Ess.
Come on now, spanish-speakers don't read acronyms like that. Example: FIFA = Fee-fuh, UNAM = oonam, etc.

mAcOdIn

Regarding Pre-ordering an iPad. Apple will place a 10 day hold on your CC, so, technically you aren't actually billed as your bank still has your money but you ccan't spend that money either.

I went through a shitty period where I put the money on a prepaid credit card to order my iPad. 2 days or so go buy and I notice that BestBuy has several 32GB in stock. Since it was payday I cashed my check, canceled my pre-order and went down to Best Buy and bought my iPad. Mind you, that gutted my paycheck. But no worries, as I should get the funds released that night or the next day on my prepaid card and pay off my bills and buy food with that, right? Wrong. You can't stretch 3 packages of Ramen very long.

Dreams-Visions said:
and all of that will be why the iPad wins. But WebOS and Android will field decent alternatives for the anti-Apple crowd.

Jesus, just because you don't want an iPad, you're not anti-Apple. You know, few moments ago, I realized that due to its software limitations/restrictions, the iPad is just not for me. Yet. So, am I anti-Apple? Hell no. The iPad is a really awesome piece of tech. It's fast, it has a great display with IPS panel, at least 10 hours of battery life and the best thing? It just works™. And all that for only 499? As I said, it's awesome. And the only "competitor" out there sucks (yes, I'm talking about you, Fusion Garage. Your JooJoo really sucks). I guess what I really want is the barebone hardware of a slate for 350 or 400 bucks. I have RAM lying around, 4h battery is fine by me, since it won't leave the couch or bed and piss off with anything pre-installed. I want to do whatever the fuck I want with it, play with different operating systems (Windows, Android, MeeGo etc) and it seems that I don't give a fuck about a (central) app store. And, you know, there's nothing anti-Apple about that. Awesome, right?

mAcOdIn

I like the idea of a centralized store that you know their app isn't going to do any funny shit to your system but it was also a step back because with that control Apple can effectively ban things from release and the user ends up paying for shit that should have been in the OS in the first place, like fucking bluetooth printing.

I still maintain that a future iPad will be better than a future open platform tablet, at least for the next 10 years or so, but some of the hoops you have to jump through because Apple's being Apple is mindboggling. An open Tablet would be awesome but on such an open platform battery life will be the first thing to go. I really hope that in 10 years time or so that batteries and computer hardware will be sufficiently powerful enough to multitask using unoptimized code for around 10 hours at which point I'd like the industry to move to a cross platform type OS, where everything can run anything. Kinda like Java.

ridley182 said:
EDIT:

Come on now, spanish-speakers don't read acronyms like that. Example: FIFA = Fee-fuh, UNAM = oonam, etc.

uh it's nothing to do with being spanish, english speakers say FIFA and NATO and stuff the same way. it's just that for something that's only two letters, saying "oss" is kind of excessive.

rule of thumb in english; if it makes something that looks like a word, say it like a word. if it doesn't, like OS, don't.

though that's without even getting into the messy area containing things like "jpeg" and "MS-DOS"...

mrkgoo

So apparently I'm not alone with my "iPad loses time" syndrome. I have a feeling it's being abducted by aliens - it's a pretty cool device for them as well.

Man I can't wait for the Table Wars! :D I know I always say this, but I'm so excited! A new wave of operating system competitors. :)

I just really hope that one OS doesn't have like 90% of the market like a certain one has in personal computing.

Though this may be the wrong place to ask but, how does Android's and Palm's app market compare to Apple's?

ridley182 said:
....really? Wow :lol sounds like someone is chronically out of touch with reality. Also, OS ≠ Platform, the OS is just an element of a platform. A platform is much more than just an OS, thinking otherwise just shows how shortsighted you are (http://www.wisegeek.com/in-computing-what-is-a-platform.htm).

- WebOS App catalog and quality sucks. Who do we blame here, Palm or developers? http://www.gadgetteaser.com/2009/11/16/facebook-for-webos-is-as-weak-as-the-app-catalog/
- WebOS hardware sucks (and with HP it looks like this trend will continue) http://www.pcmech.com/article/hp-support-problems-cheap-hardware-or-both/
- The few WebOS developers are migrating to either Android or iPhone
- There is absolutely ZERO synergy between WebOS and ANYTHING out there (which Palm pathetically tried to solve by hijacking iTunes from time to time). There are exceptions like Facebook, but everything nowadays comes with Facebook integration, not exactly a WebOS strength http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/23/palm-webos-1-1-now-available-fixes-itunes-sync/
- SEVERE lack of a comprehensive ecosystem
- Heck, even Web OS users think it sucks, beating WinMo on the suckage scale http://www.mediabistro.com/mobileco...mobile_webos_are_in_for_tough_2010_147839.asp)
- "Now that they have a deep pockets to spend on marketing and such..." Oh yes, let's patch up WebOS suckage with marketing monies. Yup yup, sounds like a plan alright.

But by all means, let's carry on with this fantasy of yours. No big deal am i rite :lol

EDIT:

Is that you?

EDIT -
WordAssassin said:
I say GIF because saying JIFF sounds fucking stupid.

Also I've always heard it said (and said it myself) as EMM ESS DOS.

Speaking of pronunciations I have another question.

When saying OS X is the X pronounced "Ecks" or "Ten"?

Schrade

layzie1989 said:
gif is the one i understand the least...is it JIFF or GIF?!!
http://www.olsenhome.com/gif/
CompuServe used to distribute a graphics display program called CompuShow. In the documentation for version 8.33 in the FAQ section, it states:

The GIF (Graphics Interchange Format), pronounced "JIF", was designed by CompuServe and the official specification released in June of 1987.

Pronunciation of things get kind of skewed due to the internet. For example, newB, n00B, nooB, etc.. all originally were pronounced "Newbie" and were just a shortened slang for the word. Kids growing up after the terms came about started mispronouncing it and now mostly everyone pronounces it that way. (Except for us old timers)

Speaking of pronunciations I have another question.

When saying OS X is the X pronounced "Ecks" or "Ten"?
I use Mac Oh Ess Ecks a lot but I sometimes will say Mac OS Ten, too.

The one thing I never understood was why people say "linicks" instead of "lye-nucks" for Linux. Linus Torvalds once propegated a .wav file that had him pronouncing his name. He said it like "leenus" for "Linus". Now he, of course, has an accent. So really, Linux should be pronounced as one pronounces "Linus".

Okay, so I've been hearing how Steve Jobs wants to put an iPad to every college student or whatnot, but how does this thing actually compare in relation to taking notes, or having text books?

Right now I have a Hackintoshed Dell Mini 10v, which works fine for most things but has its bugs and stutters here and there. I'm also big into photography and am getting into film editting and such, which poses me with two options.

1. Get a Macbook Pro.
2. Get an iMac + iPad down the line for school and random surfing throughout.

It would be nice to have an all in one shell like the MBP, but in all honesty its not all that portable, and I'd be losing around 50 percent power in relation to an i7 iMac.

So does the second option prove viable to anyone else or is it just me? Has anyone taken their iPad to class and taken notes from lecture? Are there any good note taking apps?

mAcOdIn

I think Palms problems with user satisfaction stem from two things:

1: It's not as business oriented as the older Palms where so business users coming from a Treo or something are kinda miffed at it and...

2: People wanting the hip new smartphone to replace their aging Nokia get fed up with it's lack of apps compared to Android/iPhone.

In other words, I don't think that WebOS's problems are actually because of WebOS. Had it NOT been Palm that made WebOS I think the business consumers gripes would be moot because they wouldn't have expected it to be a Treo and I think RIM gets the same hate from people who bought that shiny Blackberry as a consumer smart phone only to realize it's not really that great of a consumer smart phone. Poor WebOS is just in the middle of two worlds, neither the best businesses smart phone or the best consumer smart phone but extremely competent in both areas.

Slightly related is the lack of any hardware to get excited about, if you were on Srint and had been rocking a Palm Pre for a year or so and someone asked you what phone you were excited for what carrot has Palm been dangling in your face? The same phone with more ram and storage. Yawn. It's not exciting. Android gets traction because new manufactures are spitting those devices out like candy, Apple users even get a timely refresh each year, but Palm's been pretty slow.

Nor would I really fault Palm for trying to sync with iTunes, that's more Apple being a Draconian bitch, making it hard for people to move their music to non Apple devices, I applaud Palm for trying to screw around and find a way around them, even if it was by spoofing a USB identifier. But, you're right, it's been about a year now and they should have come up with their own solution.

Edit: Not that Palm really needs media syncing software anyways since you can just copy everything you want anywhere onto the phone pretty much, but it'd be nice.

Palm has a hell of a lot of "synergy," ironic considering their buzzword, between internet services, but since you also mentioned iTunes I guess you really mean computer applications, which I agree with, but then doesn't every phone outside the iPhone have that problem? I mean, if syncing to Apple's iTunes is the test to determine synergy in your opinion than only the iPhone can win, and frankly I'm getting tired of that because while I like the iPad, I don't like the iPhone, I don't see why everything needs to be Apple, if people's music and video aren't DRM protected Apple shouldn't make it hard for you to move it around devices just to make you want an iDevice just so you can access your shit without jumping through hoops. It's ridiculous.

Their App store does suck though. Hands down. Indefensible. While Apple's App Store also sucks, to me and for my needs, Palms in comparison is total trash, although I did get a handy Missile Command clone.

mAcOdIn

killertofu said:
Okay, so I've been hearing how Steve Jobs wants to put an iPad to every college student or whatnot, but how does this thing actually compare in relation to taking notes, or having text books?

Right now I have a Hackintoshed Dell Mini 10v, which works fine for most things but has its bugs and stutters here and there. I'm also big into photography and am getting into film editting and such, which poses me with two options.

1. Get a Macbook Pro.
2. Get an iMac + iPad down the line for school and random surfing throughout.

It would be nice to have an all in one shell like the MBP, but in all honesty its not all that portable, and I'd be losing around 50 percent power in relation to an i7 iMac.

So does the second option prove viable to anyone else or is it just me? Has anyone taken their iPad to class and taken notes from lecture? Are there any good note taking apps?
I'd give it mixed marks for schoolwork. For note taking I'd say it'll probably suck. Typing on it all class would blow, writing on it all class would blow, but I'm a pen and paper guy, I hate the tap of keys in a classroom. But I do think doing some touchups of school work on it is possible and doable, Pages is weak but it's a workable first effort.

I honestly can't think of trying to do photography on this thing. Look, I like my iPad, I'll say it again, I use it hours every day, several days in a row before even having to charge it, it's a great device for accessing content but it's a mediocre device for making anything, outside maybe being a turn table or some shit for music.

That's not really a strike against either of your two choices you've outlined. I got this iPad to be my only notebook type portable computer and it works for me and I don't think you need a gaming PC to do school work or photoediting. In fact the best workout my PC gets is Master of Orion II, which isn't really a workout. I would choose the latter option because I think it's more fun but there will be times where you'll be cursing the iPad if you're trying to do serious work on it.

Tobor

mAcOdIn said:
I like the idea of a centralized store that you know their app isn't going to do any funny shit to your system but it was also a step back because with that control Apple can effectively ban things from release and the user ends up paying for shit that should have been in the OS in the first place, like fucking bluetooth printing.

I still maintain that a future iPad will be better than a future open platform tablet, at least for the next 10 years or so, but some of the hoops you have to jump through because Apple's being Apple is mindboggling. An open Tablet would be awesome but on such an open platform battery life will be the first thing to go. I really hope that in 10 years time or so that batteries and computer hardware will be sufficiently powerful enough to multitask using unoptimized code for around 10 hours at which point I'd like the industry to move to a cross platform type OS, where everything can run anything. Kinda like Java.
Oh, absolutely. I was showing my iPad to an elderly neighbor and when I told him you get all your software from the App Store, he got excited.

"So all the software has been tested first and it's safe?"

"That's right."

"Wow, that's fantastic!"

I think we forget about these people who have been shellshocked by shitty software over the years. How many times have you had a relative or friend complain about the computer acting screwy or slow, and the culprit is the CD that came with their new printer installing bloatware garbage? To them, the restrictions of the App Store are an absolute blessing, a green light to try out new things without fear of hosing their device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom