• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flek

Banned
Darkflight said:
Oh shit - go go go!

Edit: Goddamnit - the first 2 pages worked, then the buy button didn't :(

Sorry for the false hope

dude that whas a shocker i hit refresh and it sayd "ipad is here" and i whas like YEHHHHHA untill i found out i had the us apple site running :(

Anyway downloadet a auto refresh plugin for ff gonna refresh stupid apple store every 10secs now ;P

I love the way I ordered and then made sure I had enough money :lol. I am a financial genius.

Grabbed a 32 WIFI + 3G + Dock + Case + 02 SIM + Applecare - £739.20

I grabbed the O2 SIM because I'm probably gonna grab the Simplicity plan they have - need to change my phone to that deal as well - half my current (out of 18 months finally) contract with the £15/month over 12 months scheme - not sure if that SIM can be used for that, but it was 20p :lol

Gary Whitta said:
Amen to that brother!

The list of legitimate words WWF won't allow and the list of utter bullshit words it happily will grows longer day by day...

Ut - the syllable once generally used for the first tone or keynote of a scale and sometimes for the tone C: now commonly superseded by do.

I almost feel guilty for some of the words I used in the game I had with Gary. The game definitely needs an updated dictionary that wipes out all the bullshit words and brings in some more legitimate ones.

Also, I know I'm not the only one guilty of this, but I'll just dump groupings of letters into the game and hope I get lucky. It's evil, but with so many others doing it I find that I need to do this myself in order to compete. The game needs to penalize you for attempting more than three incorrect words. In table top Scrabble, you face humiliation by your peers for attempting to use a bullshit word on the board. In WWF, you either receive a message that it isn't a real word or a nice surprise when the word is accepted as is.

I refuse to use a dictionary though. That would kill the fun.

Flek

Banned
ordered a 64gb 3g and a 32gb 3g also 2 docks and 2 cases <3

What sucks - they didnt give any kind of employe rebate on the ipads themself…anyway got the docks for onyl 23 euros each and 2 cases for arround 60 :)

well i too can go to bed smiling now ;P

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wonder if I can use just a second copy of my existing O2 SIM with the iPad. It's not like they wouldn't get their data costs from me anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse
Fusebox said:
If it works anything like Categories, you'll need your App Store link to be outside of any custom folders or iLinks won't launch properly.
Folder is from the App Store. I don't why it's associated with the .swf file or why that 'Open With...' dialogue only happens on that page.

Anyway, what app can I get from the UK AppStore to unlock emoji on iPhones/iPod Touches?

Fusebox

Banned
Jill Sandwich said:
Bummer, you can't pre-order for pick up.

Same as Aus store, unless I just couldn't see the option. As long as they deliver 'by' the 28th as they claim on their website I won't mind, but if people are picking them up locally before mine has been delivered I might have to go to the Apple store and push over a rack.

lostzenfound

Just had a friend help me with jailbreaking the iPad last night. I like the little extras, but there's not too much you can do now (unless you're a rampant pirate). I'm too wary to try most of the UI tweaks when they're not optimized for the iPad. However, when they are it will probably be so awesome. Things like Winterboard for the iPad will let you make some crazy sexy themes and you won't have to worry too much about the battery hit like you do on the iPhone.

On a side note, I too am enjoying Words with Friends -- If anyone is looking for yet another game, hit me up: StorytellerCody

jambo

Anyone been using Air Video with their iPad? Thinking about setting it up when I get my iPad, sounds like a good way to stream media to the device at home.

LCfiner

jambo said:
Anyone been using Air Video with their iPad? Thinking about setting it up when I get my iPad, sounds like a good way to stream media to the device at home.
Yeah, I'd say almost everyone in this thread has used it at one point or another. It's damn awesome. Works great. Three thumbs up.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Air Video is the single most impressive iPad app. I can't believe it's only $3

My mom sold her Wi-Fi iPad and will be getting a 3G model. I'm going to tell her to reset the iPad to factory defaults. Is there anything else she should do before parting with the iPad permanently? Particularly with iTunes on her computer? I'm not sure if I have to deauthorize anything.

And when she gets the 3G iPad, can she connect it to her computer and have all the Wi-Fi iPad settings and apps automatically transferred?

japtor

Charred Greyface said:
Folder is from the App Store. I don't why it's associated with the .swf file or why that 'Open With...' dialogue only happens on that page.
Yeah that's weird. My only guess is that maybe you have something that makes the site think you have Flash so it's serving you up the swf file...then I don't know. Maybe some other hack that enables opening web files in apps, perhaps Folder associates itself with everything or something went screwy at that point.

Tried going into Settings and resetting cache and stuff on Safari?
SnowWolf said:
Air Video is the single most impressive iPad app. I can't believe it's only $3

My mom sold her Wi-Fi iPad and will be getting a 3G model. I'm going to tell her to reset the iPad to factory defaults. Is there anything else she should do before parting with the iPad permanently? Particularly with iTunes on her computer? I'm not sure if I have to deauthorize anything.

And when she gets the 3G iPad, can she connect it to her computer and have all the Wi-Fi iPad settings and apps automatically transferred?
Just do a backup then wipe the iPad I guess. When she gets the new one I think it'll ask if you would like to restore from the previous device (warning: may take a long ass time). Once it finishes the new iPad should be set up just like the old one. Should.

Gotta say, finally took the time to look into instapaper, as I never really got the idea of it for the iphon. But on the iPad, it's bloody fantastic!

I just wish Kindle and iBooks had the exact same control over line-heights. The reading experience is much more pleasant on instapaper than the others for me.

Terrell

Jill Sandwich said:
Pre-order and pick it up from a nearby Apple Retail Store on the day. This, it seems, you cannot do.
I understood your meaning. I just think it's a huge load of shit, that's all. SO unhappy about being forced to use a credit card to purchase this thing, I HATE using my credit card.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
preorders up for canada

edit: wtf how long does it take for apple to email you?

got an email for the case i ordered seperately... but not my ipad... wtf. :(

Gowans

Ordered Mine,

Gutted there was no in store pickup option, now I have to work from home and wait for the postie.

Can't Wait!

DopeyFish said:
preorders up for canada
edit: wtf how long does it take for apple to email you?

If you use 1-click it goes into a 90 minute holding pattern...but yeah, no idea what the system is at this point. Hope I'm not way back in the queue. Not having in-store pickup is ridiculous. They went to all that trouble to implement it in their international stores, and now they decided against using it? :lol

Just ordered a 64GB+3G. Interesting to see that Apple has revealed Rogers data plans!

Options:
1. 250MB/month: $15
2. 5GB/month: $35
3. Nothing, but it burns data off your current data plan: $20

Once again, Rogers has found the sweet spot for gouging. :lol The microsim is what, 25c though? May as well give it a try.

Flying_Phoenix: Sounds like some of the styluses aren't so great, and it's up to the software in terms of how to deal with what happens if your hand touches the screen. It's not going to be a tablet PC level experience. But best to look deeper into this thread or do some google research.

DopeyFish

Crazymoogle said:
If you use 1-click it goes into a 90 minute holding pattern...but yeah, no idea what the system is at this point. Hope I'm not way back in the queue. Not having in-store pickup is ridiculous. They went to all that trouble to implement it in their international stores, and now they decided against using it? :lol

Just ordered a 64GB+3G. Interesting to see that Apple has revealed Rogers data plans!

Options:
1. 250MB/month: $15
2. 5GB/month: $35
3. Nothing, but it burns data off your current data plan: $20

Once again, Rogers has found the sweet spot for gouging. :lol The microsim is what, 25c though? May as well give it a try.

Flying_Phoenix: Sounds like some of the styluses aren't so great, and it's up to the software in terms of how to deal with what happens if your hand touches the screen. It's not going to be a tablet PC level experience. But best to look deeper into this thread or do some google research.

REALLY?>! THEY ALLOW THAT THIRD OPTION?~?~

FUCKING YES ROGERS DOES SOMETHING RIGHT!!!!

edit: fuckshit i noticed the $20 thing stupid rogers *drinks alcohol*

fun fact: I've had an iPhone for 22 months and have still only used 10 gigs total (I have a 6gb plan)

DopeyFish said:
edit: fuckshit i noticed the $20 thing stupid rogers *drinks alcohol*

Hence "gouging". :lol

Basically, everyone with an iPhone 1GB or 6GB plan will have to carefully weigh whether they think they can really use more than 250MB a month on a secondary device (that probably has the same stupid 20MB content cap over the iTunes store). :(

So what accessories are you guys ordering? It's probably smart to preorder that stuff too, but I can't decide if the keyboard-dock or bluetooth keyboard and standalone dock is the better idea...

DopeyFish

I did preorder the case and dock but because apple decided to bombard my credit card with credit checks, it ducked me over, forcing me to remove the dock

for keyboard I have a microsoft arc keyboard which is amazing :D

edit:

i'd like to point out the rogers plans are NO CONTRACT (holy shit)

jambo

We currently don't have WiFi at work and there's no chance of getting anything set up any time soon. I remember I used to have a USB WiFi drive for my DS but I sold it (along with my DS) ages ago. Are there similar devices that allow you to broadcast your own mini WiFi network?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Thank you for your order.
We’re processing it now. You will receive an email confirmation shortly.

iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB
Part Number: MB292B/A
1 £365.11 £365.11

mAcOdIn

jambo said:
We currently don't have WiFi at work and there's no chance of getting anything set up any time soon. I remember I used to have a USB WiFi drive for my DS but I sold it (along with my DS) ages ago. Are there similar devices that allow you to broadcast your own mini WiFi network?
Yes, most cell phone carriers sell them straight from their store or websites. Also many phones are capable of being turned into a "hotspot," the Iphone can be turned into one if it's jailbroken, Android phones can be turned into one if they're rooted and the Palm Pre on Verizon can be turned into one for free out of the box, so there's the phone option as well. * No luck if you're a Blackberry fan.

I got the Palm Pre on Verizon since the mobile Hotspot was supported out of the box, it just worked on day one, no fussing with anything and it's one device I need to carry, and do carry with me anyways. With the portable wifi routers that's yet another device you have to carry, and usually another plan as well, which made them not worth it in my opinion. Then again, if your phone is mission critical and even an extended battery wouldn't give you enough time when using a wifi hotspot feature every once in a while I could see where a second dedicated device with it's own battery or that can even be plugged into a wall would come in handy, although I can also plug my phone into the wall!

Yeah no confirm email at all for me after a half hour. Guess it will show up in the morning.

DopeyFish said:
I did preorder the case and dock but because apple decided to bombard my credit card with credit checks, it ducked me over, forcing me to remove the dock

Once I saw the cost of everything building up I bailed on accessories. :lol The kb-dock seems interesting as it has iPad-specific functions (which I'm guessing the BT keyboard doesn't?) but maybe it's better to have the keyboard untethered. Does it help or hinder the stand to have the keyboard part of the frame balance, I wonder.

DopeyFish said:
I'd like to point out the rogers plans are NO CONTRACT (holy shit)

If true, that's pretty surprising. (It at least sounds like the case.) What I'm a bit skeptical about is how well (if at all) that they decide to handle the idea of opting in or out...

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Keyboard and stand is for decadent elitists. I'm propping the iPad up with a plank of wood and using the USB connection kit to plug a dodgy 4 year old Sytek keyboard in. Living the highligh, yeeeeah boooy.

mrkgoo

jambo said:

Do you have a Mac? You can turn any mac that is using ethernet into a wifi hotspot.

mAcOdIn

I'd ask around before doing something like that to a work computer, you might really get in trouble if you set up a wireless network within your work's network, I know I sure as fuck would. Ask before you do something like that.

DopeyFish

Crazymoogle said:
If true, that's pretty surprising. (It at least sounds like the case.) What I'm a bit skeptical about is how well (if at all) that they decide to handle the idea of opting in or out...

probably through about 30 layers of retentions and erroneous cancellations fees (plus don't forget the mandatory GRRF! (ugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom