• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Google said:
Understood - but I'm not on 3G, and I like the idea of downloading the paper in the morning via the app, and reading it on the way to work.
Does the App work that way? I thought you needed to be connected to the Internet every time you clicked on a story in the App itself, in which case, you are better off clicking a bunch of stories in the morning on the main website and saving the ones you want to read to Instapaper for offline viewing. Maybe I'm wrong, in which case by opening the App once in the morning it downloads all the stories on the App to an offline viewing mode, which would be useful.

Google

lawblob said:
Does the App work that way? I thought you needed to be connected to the Internet every time you clicked on a story in the App itself, in which case, you are better off clicking a bunch of stories in the morning on the main website and saving the ones you want to read to Instapaper for offline viewing. Maybe I'm wrong, in which case by opening the App once in the morning it downloads all the stories on the App to an offline viewing mode, which would be useful.

I'm not sure - but I'd imagine that if you subscribed, you'd be able to download the daily paper.

Crazymoogle said:
WTF?!

There ya go, US-GAF. Some insight into the garbage canadian cellular users have to deal with.

Wow, this is fail. I was considering selling off my wi-fi for a 3G when I saw that deal. No more.

EDIT: It's still mentioned on Apple.ca

LCfiner

So I just jailbroke my 3gs and installed mywi over the weekend.

totally worth it. I might only use the tethering service for the ipad once a month or less but it'll be great that I can use it when I want.

the only hassle for me will be waiting for an OS 4.0 jailbreak before upgrading the OS in the summer.

Anyone in this joint work with video/intense rendering?

My MBP is dying once again and it's time to upgrade to the 27' iMac.
I'm debating between 8GB RAM and 16GB RAM.

Obviously the 16 would be faster, but it's also $720 more and hey every little bit counts.

Please halp. <3

LCfiner said:
So I just jailbroke my 3gs and installed mywi over the weekend.

totally worth it. I might only use the tethering service for the ipad once a month or less but it'll be great that I can use it when I want.

the only hassle for me will be waiting for an OS 4.0 jailbreak before upgrading the OS in the summer.

Is there a way for the iPad to accept bluetooth tethering via a jailbreak? Instead of jailbreaking the phone, you would just jailbreak the iPad.

Sorry if posted but, if this comes out to be as good as it looks then SOLD:
clamcase_03_610x436.jpg

rezuth

Buckethead said:

Obviously the 16 would be faster, but it's also $720 more and hey every little bit counts.

Please halp. <3
I doubt it would be worth it seeing as you are considering the iMac and it will have bottlenecks elsewhere however if it was the Mac Pro I would go for it.

Buckethead said:

Please halp. <3

iPad?

Also, don't buy Ram from Apple. Way overpriced.

LCfiner

DoctorWho said:
Is there a way for the iPad to accept bluetooth tethering via a jailbreak? Instead of jailbreaking the phone, you would just jailbreak the iPad.

not yet, but I expect it at some point soon. i didn't want to wait but I could see myself using that solution down the line.

LCfiner said:
not yet, but I expect it at some point soon. i didn't want to wait but I could see myself using that solution down the line.

I'm very tempted to do this but I'm worried about killing my iPhone's battery. Still, so tempting. :D

Google

DoctorWho said:
Also, don't buy Ram from Apple. Way overpriced.

You say this, but when purchasing a MacBook I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB myself.

4GB of RAM cost around $80.

To upgrade to 4GB of RAM from Apple, cost $80.

Google said:
You say this, but when purchasing a MacBook I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB myself.

4GB of RAM cost around $80.

To upgrade to 4GB of RAM from Apple, cost $80.

Hmm... $80 sounds like a steal from Apple. I'm used to seeing their prices at twice as much than online retailers.

Google

DoctorWho said:
Hmm... $80 sounds like a steal from Apple. I'm used to seeing their prices at twice as much than online retailers.

The MacBook comes with 2GB of RAM, so you're effectively paying $80 for 2GB of RAM, which is double the price.

However, because they throw in 2 x 1GB modules, you have to purchase 2 x 2GB, which will cost $80.

So they're being awfully clever.

As far as prices, it's definitely overpriced in the Mac Pro department but not as much in MBP and iMac Land. It still is, but not as much.

Also Apple has more money now, they don't have to overcharge as much
unless it's on an iPad
Yeah it's off-topic, but trying to make a quick decision so I can get it ASAP.

mrkgoo

Google said:
The MacBook comes with 2GB of RAM, so you're effectively paying $80 for 2GB of RAM, which is double the price.

However, because they throw in 2 x 1GB modules, you have to purchase 2 x 2GB, which will cost $80.

So they're being awfully clever.

When I bought my MBP with 2x1GB, I bought my own 2x2GB, and then sold the 2x1GB for a little bit of a return.

Also, I was able to sell it as "MacBook Pro RAM, certified by Apple, and completely new".

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
DoctorWho said:
Wow, this is fail. I was considering selling off my wi-fi for a 3G when I saw that deal. No more.

EDIT: It's still mentioned on Apple.ca

http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/rogers-announces-data-plans-for-ipad-in-canada/#comments

and rogers.com/ipad

RogersMary said:
It’s great to see everyone so excited!

Many of you have asked about the shared data plan listed on the Apple website. This reference was an error and is being removed.

edit: and now it's been removed from apples website

numble

Interesting feature: You can fuss with the settings to enable activating/deactivating voiceover mode in Settings > General Settings > Accessibility. If you ever feel the need to have quick access to a text to speech option.

LCfiner

Buckethead said:
As far as prices, it's definitely overpriced in the Mac Pro department but not as much in MBP and iMac Land. It still is, but not as much.

Also Apple has more money now, they don't have to overcharge as much
unless it's on an iPad
Yeah it's off-topic, but trying to make a quick decision so I can get it ASAP.

not sure how many folks of Gaf have the kind of setup where they can comment on the benefits of 16 GB of Ram.

From my limited experience, I can say that the speed increase running parallels on a 4 GB to 8 GB iMac was incredible.

no swapping required and startup never slowed down the system whatsoever. I tried running as many apps as possible on both the VM and the Mac and it was smooth as butter with 8GB.

I would just order 8GB now and then upgrade to 16 GB from 3rd party Ram vendors when prices go down in time.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Just pulled the trigger on the i7 2.8, 8GB RAM, and 2TB Hard Drive.
Next month new iPhone and iPad. It shall be glorious.

mrkgoo

Dreams-Visions said:
I think it's brilliant. but with that configuration, how does the keyboard actually work? its just bluetooth, I assume?

I think it's kind of cool. It's like a case with a cover with a built in keyboard.

That said, it has to be bulkier than they are showing there. That practically looks thinner than the iPad. Also, it's a mirror image, obvious by the screen shot and the speaker grill location.

anyone use an Ipad as " review device " with a Reflex ( with nikon nef files ) ? I'd like to view and select the photos after a shooting ( no need to retouching with an Ipad, just view, select, delete the others)

it would be very useful for me ( i travel a lot and when finally i 'm at home.. i've too many photos to handle :( )
any feedback ? usability, battery lifetime, transfer the pictures from ipad to mac after the selection process ?

mrkgoo said:
I think it's kind of cool. It's like a case with a cover with a built in keyboard.

That said, it has to be bulkier than they are showing there. That practically looks thinner than the iPad. Also, it's a mirror image, obvious by the screen shot and the speaker grill location.

Well, I would imagine that the keyboard can be incredibly thin. Just look at the Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

mrkgoo

DoctorWho said:
Well, I would imagine that the keyboard can be incredibly thin. Just look at the Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

The keyboard, sure. I was referring to the housing the iPad was in.

Do cursor keys work for navigating a typing cursor?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Three issues with that case:

1. If the screen doesn't swivel around, you'll be hitting the keys from the other side. No go.

2. You think the screen its self is a magnet, imagine the fingerprints on that thing. :lol

3. It's trying to turn a device that isn't a netbook into a netbook. Seems a bit counter productive to what the iPad is. Though I guess it would be handy in Pages. ^_^

OneEightZero said:
Three issues with that case:

1. If the screen doesn't swivel around, you'll be hitting the keys from the other side. No go.

2. You think the screen its self is a magnet, imagine the fingerprints on that thing. :lol

3. It's trying to turn a device that isn't a netbook into a netbook. Seems a bit counter productive to what the iPad is. Though I guess it would be handy in Pages. ^_^

It's good for those who need it for long word processing sessions but still want Apple's patented tablet interface - like me. Yeah, that keyboard definitely needs to swivel around or I'll have to pass and a matte black finish would be prefered.

Google

Spriig said:
I think the picture looks ok. But irl i think it will look cheap and horrible.

Seems fucking useless also.

If you need to do a decent amount of typing, either buy a bluetooth keyboard, or use your laptop/desktop.

Google said:

If you need to do a decent amount of typing, either buy a bluetooth keyboard, or use your laptop/desktop.

But you are buying a bluetooth keyboard that also doubles as a case/stand for your iPad. I fail to see what is useless about it. I don't want to carry a laptop around with me and I don't want to carry a separate bluetooth keyobard with me, but I would use a case with my iPad that had a bluetooth keyboard built into it.

DoctorWho said:
But you are buying a bluetooth keyboard that also doubles as a case/stand for your iPad. I fail to see what is useless about it. I don't want to carry a laptop around with me and I don't want to carry a separate bluetooth keyobard with me, but I would use a case with my iPad that had a bluetooth keyboard built into it.
Bingo. Could be very very useful for what I plan on using my iPad partially for. Besides, one of the major complaints people have with the official keyboard dock is that it's not portable enough.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Google said:

I was gonna suggest this, but I didn't want to sound like an ass.

Thanks, Google. Your search engine is boss. :lol

Chorazin

Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
anyone use an Ipad as " review device " with a Reflex ( with nikon nef files ) ? I'd like to view and select the photos after a shooting ( no need to retouching with an Ipad, just view, select, delete the others)

it would be very useful for me ( i travel a lot and when finally i 'm at home.. i've too many photos to handle :( )
any feedback ? usability, battery lifetime, transfer the pictures from ipad to mac after the selection process ?

I just did this, actually. It works as smooth as you'd expect, plug in your camera or SD card into the camera adapter and put it in the iPad. Photos automatically launches with import mode, and you can import them all or pick and choose. If Photos crashes while importing, it'll ask if you want to import dups again.

You don't need to worry about battery life while importing, I doubt it even took away a percentage or two to do the import.

Transferring pics to Aperture was very easy, I docked my iPad and launched Aperture. It recognized my iPad as a device to import from, and treated it just like a camera.

Importing took a while, and I did have to re-dock the iPad once to finish syncing because something timed out (either the iPad, iTunes, or Aperture) during the import. Outside of that it didn't seem to take any longer than plugging my D90 into my MacBook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom