• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tobor said:
That screenshot is so not what I want to do with this device. Revoke my geek card, please.
That's exactly what I want to do with any device. :lol

It's weird. I have no real use for it, but ever since it got jailbroken, I've wanted one real bad.

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah that looks like a nightmare :lol

ninja'd :p I can't actually see why i would want an external drive right now, but consider the random obscure geeky things that are likely possible with an ipad in the future, I could see an external drive being useful in some possible scenarios.

Odious Tea said:
That's exactly what I want to do with any device. :lol

It's weird. I have no real use for it, but ever since it got jailbroken, I've wanted one real bad.

iDevices without a jailbreak have so many less fun things to dick around with than their jailbroken brothers!

I've successfully tethered my ipad to my external bluetooth gps dongle for example. No 3g=gps argument for me, thanks!

krypt0nian said:
Seriously. That crap makes me want to puke in my mouth.

wait, command line stuff in general or command line stuff on ipad when theres nothing really to do with it yet? I launch cmd.exe and terminals multiple times a day! Fastest way to encode videos too, screw GUIs give me excel, notepad, cmd.exe and ffmpeg.exe any day and I'll ninja videos to h264 in half the time as most GUI-driven crap.

Blackhead

Redarse
Tobor said:
That screenshot is so not what I want to do with this device. Revoke my geek card, please.
Gary Whitta said:
:lol I was expecting that. Yeah, It does look like too much work. There should be a nice GUI over it eventually, Apple geeks are also design & UI geeks too.

Ice Monkey said:
ninja'd :p I can't actually see why i would want an external drive right now, but consider the random obscure geeky things that are likely possible with an ipad in the future, I could see an external drive being useful in some possible scenarios.
I don't need an external hard drive either, I was just testing it out as a proof of concept so to speak. The thought of getting full file access to an SD card has me salivating though...

cvxfreak

Softbank has announced their data plan pricing for the iPad in Japan.

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/ipad/price_plan/

There are two versions:

1. ¥2910 per month unlimited data (plus a few misc. fees that bring it to ¥3600) with a 2 year contract. [$40] :lol :lol :lol

2. ¥4410 for 1GB of data each month, but no contract [$50]. :lol :lol :lol

Conclusion: :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stupid fucking Softbank. Their service sucks enough already. Japan-GAF should just put up with the lack of GPS in the WiFi model and invest in an Emobile Pocket WiFi modem. That way they can stop using the 3G service on their iPhones and actually save money in the process.

2 year contract, what the hell? the first price would be okay if not for that, the second is bizarre. i actually have no problem with softbank's service otherwise - i never have dropped calls or slow 3G access or any of the stuff that AT&T-GAF talks about.

any hardware prices up yet? i'm going wi-fi only, i guess...

mehdi_san

Fuck I should have waited. With the 10% points you get at Bic or Yodobashi, and the 2 years free wifi hotspot access, it's cheaper and more interesting buying the wifi model from softbank than importing from the US :(

cvxfreak

345triangle said:
2 year contract, what the hell? the first price would be okay if not for that, the second is bizarre. i actually have no problem with softbank's service otherwise - i never have dropped calls or slow 3G access or any of the stuff that AT&T-GAF talks about.

any hardware prices up yet? i'm going wi-fi only, i guess...
Softbank has prices up on their site for both models, but I don't know if standalone prices have been announced.

Softbank isn't as bad as AT&T, that much is true. Even China's mobile companies provide better cellular service than AT&T. :p

The hotspots should be wherever Yahoo BB hotspots are. McDonald's, Beck's Coffee, etc.

Tobor said:
it has been revoked. :D

Gary Whitta said:
really? you've never used Terminal on a Mac before? or Linux? It's not bad at all. It just showed a bunch of folders/files and a command line.

you guys are funny.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
mehdi_san said:
Bbbbbut... they can't do that right? They can't open it and start using it, right? RIGHT??
I hope not for your sake. Kind of nice posting from my iPad. Just downloaded the app called Captains blog, looks really cool. I bought my iPad with my co worker, she loves gadgets and all things apple.

dyls said:
Any noticeable issues with speed or stability?

I had my iPhone 3G jailbroken throughout the 2.x software, but once 3.0 hit the phone was already slow enough. When I tried to jailbreak it again it made it almost unusable.

Just don't install Winterboard. It seems to me that jailbreak seems to fuck with battery life, but not speed so long as Winterboard isn't installed.

mehdi_san

Fuuuuuuu!!! I didn't know the Japanese post delivers on Saturday. I just saw that there was an attempted delivery at 2pm, but I wasn't home!!!! I'm gonna wait until 10pm and go grab it at the 24h pickup window :D

cvxfreak said:
Softbank has announced their data plan pricing for the iPad in Japan.

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/ipad/price_plan/

There are two versions:

1. ¥2910 per month unlimited data (plus a few misc. fees that bring it to ¥3600) with a 2 year contract. [$40] :lol :lol :lol

2. ¥4410 for 1GB of data each month, but no contract [$50]. :lol :lol :lol

Conclusion: :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stupid fucking Softbank. Their service sucks enough already. Japan-GAF should just put up with the lack of GPS in the WiFi model and invest in an Emobile Pocket WiFi modem. That way they can stop using the 3G service on their iPhones and actually save money in the process.

wait, am i reading this right?

softbank_ipad2.PNG

it looks like the ipad itself is actually subsidised by the contract. i don't know all the kanji but as far as i can tell the first pink row says monthly payment, the second says number of payments, the third says total payment and then the first white row gives a basic up-front figure.

but i don't know how any of this relates to the wi-fi only version, or why that would even have anything to do with softbank at all :/

are they just monthly payments for the hardware itself, like buying on credit?

Tobor

Dreams-Visions said:
it has been revoked. :D

really? you've never used Terminal on a Mac before? or Linux? It's not bad at all. It just showed a bunch of folders/files and a command line.

you guys are funny.
It's not a question of having done it before. I've built my own PCs, and putzed around with all this type of shit, I'm just not interested in it anymore. All I want now is a leisure device that works as advertised.

Look at it this way, what seems like fun to you seems like work to me.

brotkasten said:
Thank you, that's awesome. Can any other program access those files via FileBrowser? Lets say, iPhoto or a comic reader? I have stored my media files on my WHS, so I can access them from every device in my house. It'd cool if I could do that with the iPad as well.

Anyone?

Flek said:
awesome so apple confirmed that germany can suck there big dirty apple cocks … 

we have to pay 655,478 USD for the 16 GB iPad wlan only … yeha you got it thats 156 USD more than you uslers have to pay for it. WTF.

but yeha apple knows we are bitches and we will still buy it

gonna preorder 32gb 3g on monday … 

Steve Jobs:
Blame your government. Germany just added a new copyright levy for computers.

Tobor said:
It's not a question of having done it before. I've built my own PCs, and putzed around with all this type of shit, I'm just not interested in it anymore. All I want now is a leisure device that works as advertised.

doesn't look like fun to me either. It just doesn't bother me.

Blackhead

Redarse
brotkasten said:
Thank you, that's awesome. Can any other program access those files via FileBrowser? Lets say, iPhoto or a comic reader? I have stored my media files on my WHS, so I can access them from every device in my house. It'd cool if I could do that with the iPad as well.

Anyone?
No, not now, but it's a feature that the developer can choose to offer. The developer of File Browser would have to add the "Open In..." functionality and then each of the comic readers would also be required to register for the particular file types (zip, cbr etc). At the moment, none of my Comic book reader apps are registered for any file formats, not even zip. So you should send a couple of emails, requesting the feature, to the developers of FileBrowser and your favorite comic book app

Actually, I'm not sure in if it's possible to register an app for a non native file format, has anyone found something unique? 'm using Folder to quickly test and sort

Tobor said:

Besides the fact that some people would like to use their iPad as a sysadmin tool and what not, many people also only interested in the iPad as a "leisure device" spend time setting up AirVideo servers, VNC clients etc. Sometimes you have to put in a little work to have even more fun.

Ice Monkey said:
wait, command line stuff in general or command line stuff on ipad when theres nothing really to do with it yet? I launch cmd.exe and terminals multiple times a day! Fastest way to encode videos too, screw GUIs give me excel, notepad, cmd.exe and ffmpeg.exe any day and I'll ninja videos to h264 in half the time as most GUI-driven crap.

I'll take the default programs any day of the week. I used to like playing around with that stuff as a teenager but as I got older and realized I just want quick, easy solutions that require very little learning with programs. :lol

Flek said:
awesome so apple confirmed that germany can suck there big dirty apple cocks … 

we have to pay 655,478 USD for the 16 GB iPad wlan only … yeha you got it thats 156 USD more than you uslers have to pay for it. WTF.

but yeha apple knows we are bitches and we will still buy it

gonna preorder 32gb 3g on monday … 
Your calculation is wrong actually.
The $499 for the iPad 16GB WiFi is net., while the 514€ is gross. So you need to subtract the tax first before you compare, which would be 416,34€ = $530.23. As you see, thats a extra 30 bucks in Germany, which isn't a huge deal.

mrkgoo

Mailenstein said:
Your calculation is wrong actually.
The $499 for the iPad 16GB WiFi is net., while the 514€ is gross. So you need to subtract the tax first before you compare, which would be 416,34€ = $530.23. As you see, thats a extra 30 bucks in Germany, which isn't a huge deal.
Glory be for Oregon - no sales tax!

Tobor

Charred Greyface said:
Besides the fact that some people would like to use their iPad as a sysadmin tool and what not, many people also only interested in the iPad as a "leisure device" spend time setting up AirVideo servers, VNC clients etc. Sometimes you have to put in a little work to have even more fun.

No doubt, but the less work the better. I'm getting realllyyy lazy when it comes to this stuff. So lazy that I'll buy a movie from iTunes if it's on sale rather than rip the DVD I already own.

mrkgoo

I just noticed that my iPad clock was 15 minutes behind. I wish there were an option to sync the clock to my computer when I plug it in like the original iPhone os.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
mehdi_san said:
Holy shit at the screen quality!!!! That's all I have to say. It's truly magical :lol
I don't understand these comments. The screen is decent and usable but it's not holy shit nice.

Charred Greyface said:
No, not now, but it's a feature that the developer can choose to offer. The developer of File Browser would have to add the "Open In..." functionality and then each of the comic readers would also be required to register for the particular file types (zip, cbr etc). At the moment, none of my Comic book reader apps are registered for any file formats, not even zip. So you should send a couple of emails, requesting the feature, to the developers of FileBrowser and your favorite comic book app

Actually, I'm not sure in if it's possible to register an app for a non native file format, has anyone found something unique? 'm using Folder to quickly test and sort

That's pretty meh but thanks for sharing.

Bboy AJ said:
I don't understand these comments. The screen is decent and usable but it's not holy shit nice.

Most people don't have experience with IPS or PVA panels, that's why they're blown away by the iPad screen.

Not iPad-related per-say, but I I thought this was interesting, as it kinda refutes a common troll meme RE: Apple:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/05/08/what-apple-spends-for-sizzle/

20100508-kucqip533rc3bk6aed712rqgu1.jpg

What Apple spends for sizzle

Posted by Philip Elmer-DeWitt

As a percent of revenue, Steve Jobs' ad budget is relatively modest

Silicon Alley Insider's chart of the day Friday makes a terrific point, but it took some time for me to see it.

The chart, assembled by Jay Yarow and Kamelia Angelova from data provided by Kantar Media, shows the total 2009 ad spend — across print, online, radio, tv, and outdoor — of selected tech companies, both in dollar terms and as a percent of revenue.

20100508-k6umrbqxmkuf1ynn1wb9qbxbrh.jpg

The takeaway message for me is that Apple (AAPL), which has a reputation in tech circles of selling more sizzle than steak, actually spends relatively little on advertising for a company its size. The $249 million it shelled out last year is less than half of what Microsoft (MSFT) spent for ads I find nowhere near as effective. And as a percentage of revenue, it's less than half of the expenditures of eBay (EBAY), whose ads I don't remember ever seeing.

LCfiner

Charred Greyface said:
Uselesscomparison imo. Compare Apple to HTC, Palm, HP, Dell, Sony not eBay and Yahoo.

Not useless compared to Windows/ MS.

but then again, this is the iPad thread, not the OS battlefront thread (sorta)

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah, they are in different markets. Microsft is a software company while Apple is a hardware company. If you're going to compare the two then break it down, compare Zune ad spending to the iPod then Microsoft Office spending to iWorks (although some of the useful ads for iWorks, specifically prominent placement in the AppStore, is not easily monetized). Likewise it's hard to say just how valuable Amazon's homepage placement for the Kindle has been and monetize it in advertising dollars. Does Google even advertise for any of the Android phones? Google put a Superbowl ad for their homepage while Apple used their ad for the iPad. Completely different advertising strategies as I see it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Charred: Is there a way to permanently keep some of the Apple processes killed until I activate them? need moar rammmmmm. I actually managed to use SlingPlayer and MLB At Bat simultaneously :lol

Blackhead

Redarse
Y2Kev said:
Charred: Is there a way to permanently keep some of the Apple processes killed until I activate them? need moar rammmmmm. I actually managed to use SlingPlayer and MLB At Bat simultaneously :lol
Yeah, you can delete them from the system and they'll never run. I've seen guides to do so for the iPhone but I've never tried it. I honestly wouldn't recommend it. The really cool iPad tweaks havent been made yet, you'll probably have a had time running even Winterboard at this rate :lol

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah, it is.

I think the most accurate statement would be to say that the ipad's screen is amazing when compared to other mobile devices.

Some folks don't know or care about TN vs IPS, but for those of us that do, it is excellent.

I'd like it to be higher resolution, but that's my only complaint.

LCfiner

Ice Monkey said:
what type of processes wouldnt be necessary? does apple run a whole lot of stuff that isnt important? Reminds me of Windows.

there’s not a lot of stuff running in the background. the problem is trying to view multiple modern webpages on 256 MB of RAM. nothing stays in memory for long. once you leave a page, it’s out of memory and has to reload.

If you run an A/V heavy app like MLB at bat, it’ll use up almost all the RAM and good luck trying to do that AND do something else in the background (if you’ve jailbroken).

Apple’s only got a few things running in the back but it’s much else than what runs on Mac OS X or Windows.

japtor

Charred Greyface said:

I think I've seen stuff where it was done with OmniGraffle files. I'm pretty sure it's possible to register your own formats. I believe 3.2 added a lot of stuff related to file access and support.

Fletcher

I've had my ipad since monday and I love it. I'm so fucking excited to use it on my trip in two weeks. My carry on bag isn't going to have all sorts of shit crammed in it. I just need to buy a sleeve for it now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LCfiner said:
If you run an A/V heavy app like MLB at bat, it’ll use up almost all the RAM and good luck trying to do that AND do something else in the background (if you’ve jailbroken).
It's not that limiting. I was watching TV with Slingplayer and managed to keep the video running while checking the scores in MLB.TV with Safari open. But, for whatever reason, if you open iPod eighty years ago and played a podcast, both iPod and the video player stay in memory. You can't kill them without the system freaking out.

Steve made a comment about "once you include a task manager, you've lost" or something comment in the OS 4 presentation, but he's basically backed his users into a corner by sticking 256mb of RAM into a computing device like the iPad. If I don't manage my own memory, the system will start closing programs as it sees fit. This means you could be logged out of AIM by the system. I am much happier just managing my memory.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well killing daemons is not the only way to get more RAM to work with. You should try the swapfile method...

I hope the comicbook apps follow Omni's lead and register cbz/cbr as their formats.

Sycing is taking too long these days. Both iPad and laptop has been locked up for the past hour and I'm not even halfway done. All for a few measely fonts :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom