• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darkflight said:
UK:

* 16GB WiFi-only £429
* 32GB WiFi-only £499
* 64GB WiFi-only £599
* 16GB WiFi+3G £529
* 32GB WiFi+3G £599
* 64GB WiFi+3G £699r

:lol

That's the end of that then. Apple sure do love fucking us over.

No chance whatsoever of mass market adoption at those prices.

syoaran

Harry_Tequila said:
:lol

That's the end of that then. Apple sure do love fucking us over.

No chance whatsoever of mass market adoption at those prices.

Could be wrong - but isnt the price only about 40 quid more than the US when you figure in sales tax?

Also - it really depends on the cellphone companies monthly pricing for the 3g to really see the cost/value on those models. If o2 do 8 quid a month for 250mb's then I'd sign up - but if its dollar to pound match then ill pass.

the UK prices seem way more expensive at the low end than the high end, somehow.

where's the japan pricing! don't tell me everyone's asleep.

syoaran said:
Could be wrong - but isnt the price only about 40 quid more than the US when you figure in sales tax?

Also - it really depends on the cellphone companies monthly pricing for the 3g to really see the cost/value on those models. If o2 do 8 quid a month for 250mb's then I'd sign up - but if its dollar to pound match then ill pass.

£40 is a lot of money in an economic downturn. It also takes the base model above what could have been an acceptable sub-£400 price point.

That's just for the base model as well. I think people will find it difficult to justify spending £500 and above for a extra 16gb.

giga

$500 = £340

VAT = 17.5%?

£340 * .175 = £60 in taxes. Total = £400.

Why would they charge below that price point?

syoaran

Harry_Tequila said:
£40 is a lot of money in an economic downturn. It also takes the base model above what could have been an acceptable sub-£400 price point.

That's just for the base model as well. I think people will find it difficult to justify spending £500 and above for a extra 16gb.

Not really sure I see your point here. 40 might be a lot of money in an economic downturn, but for someone who is already willing to spend 400 its not much of a consideration.

For those that want it, they will justify the cost - even if it was 100 over the US price.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is the camera connection kit hard to find in stores?

Purexed said:
I'm concerned that there is something wrong with my iPad, can some try going to ESPN.com from their iPad. It hasn't been working for me for the past couple of days. It's doing this weird cyclical refresh thing that's super strange. Just want to make sure its not just me...
Working okay on my end. Are you borwsing mobile espn or the iPad formated site? Care to post a screenshot of the problem? Try clearing your cache and cookies as well.

syoaran said:
Not really sure I see your point here. 40 might be a lot of money in an economic downturn, but for someone who is already willing to spend 400 its not much of a consideration.

For those that want it, they will justify the cost - even if it was 100 over the US price.

It's not those people that already want it that would provide the bulk of the sales if it is to be successful.

syoaran said:
Sort of the opposite - the higher spec you go, the higher the price difference (starting at just below 50, going up to 72).

Orange UK have gone first here for pricing
http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/05/07/orange-uk-announces-data-plans-for-ipad-wi-fi-3g-2/
Bit pricey when an O2 simplicity data only package is £20 (£15 if you get a year) and you can just shave the sim down to micro-sim. That's what I'm looking at getting if I grab one and for my new iPhone in June.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity/smartphone/1_month

Unless I'm missing something?

mrkgoo

Charred Greyface said:

Working okay on my end. Are you borwsing mobile espn or the iPad formated site? Care to post a screenshot of the problem? Try clearing your cache and cookies as well.
Myguqrdiqn eyewitness app s totally borked. Blank photos. The AppStore description says to reinstall, buy even when I do I get crashes and a perpetual "loading images".

SuperPac

Purexed said:
I'm concerned that there is something wrong with my iPad, can some try going to ESPN.com from their iPad. It hasn't been working for me for the past couple of days. It's doing this weird cyclical refresh thing that's super strange. Just want to make sure its not just me...

Working fine here. No cyclical refresh thing. Is the URL you're on espn.go.com/?ipad ?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
mrkgoo said:
Myguqrdiqn eyewitness app s totally borked. Blank photos. The AppStore description says to reinstall, buy even when I do I get crashes and a perpetual "loading images".
I am getting this too

LCfiner

Terrell said:
Yeah, they've been hoping for our dollar to permanently hit the shitter for months and it hasn't. So I can only take solice that other regions were hit just as badly. Boo-urns Apple.

Yeah, at least they reduced the markup on their macbooks after the last update.

another point that's good news is that the ibookstore app has been announced to launch in canada the same day as the ipad. no word on how many publishers will be there - hopefully same as the states (and it better grow soon to match Amazon)

now all that's left is the announcement of Rogers 3G data plan pricing. now, I've been a bit of an optimist on this point and I'm expecting US style prices (plus/ minus 5 bucks or 50 MB) but let's see if I'm way off base here.

ravien56

LCfiner said:
Yeah, at least they reduced the markup on their macbooks after the last update.

another point that's good news is that the ibookstore app has been announced to launch in canada the same day as the ipad. no word on how many publishers will be there - hopefully same as the states (and it better grow soon to match Amazon)

now all that's left is the announcement of Rogers 3G data plan pricing. now, I've been a it of an optimist on this point and I'm expecting US style prices (plus/ minus 5 bucks or 50 MB) but let's see if I'm way off base here.
Rogers always fucks us over.

Purexed

Banned
Charred Greyface said:

Damn...

I'll try that when I get to my office with the wifi spot. It weird because every other site I use works fine... :(

Rubenov

The iPad is so good, that you may want to consider getting a second job just to get your hands on one.

j/k, please don't hurt me

Is it possible to stream music from my Windows Home Server, without using iTunes or any other program? Just access the files and play them? Or in general to map a network drive?

mrkgoo

scola said:
I am getting this too

Even the loading images thing?

It boggles how an app goes from one of the best at launch to not even functioning. I know it's just a bug in the version, but it would've seemed the developers knew what they were doing. Meanwhile, they are racking up dozens of one star reviews. Shame.

YES :D !!! Getting a 32GB Wifi Modell May 28th :D :D :D !

As for the preorders, how does that exactly work? Never did that, since we have a Apple store here in Munich/Germany. Is it possible to call there and preorder one or only online? Like creating an account and then? Thanks in advance guys!

Blackhead

Redarse
Chorazin said:
From what I hear, yes. Apple is on "ships within two week" on their site, IIRC.
:( Anybody want to sell me a Camera Connection Kit?

mrkgoo said:
Same here, even after a delete-reboot-reinstall, it's like new but doesn't download anything at all.

Purexed said:
DamnSheeiiiitttt...

I'll try that when I get to my office with the wifi spot. It weird because every other site I use works fine... :(
brotkasten said:
Is it possible to stream music from my Windows Home Server, without using iTunes or any other program? Just access the files and play them? Or in general to map a network drive?
FileBrowser

Oh fuck Shakepeare Pro was $5 yesterday and I missed it :(

Charred Greyface said:

Thank you, that's awesome. Can any other program access those files via FileBrowser? Lets say, iPhoto or a comic reader? I have stored my media files on my WHS, so I can access them from every device in my house. It'd cool if I could do that with the iPad as well.

LCfiner

nvm. this isn't new to the thread. anyway, here's a chart

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/07/orange-announces-uk-data-pricing-for-ipad/

114138-orange_ipad_pricing.jpg

ravien56 said:
Rogers always fucks us over.

Except that this time, the device is unlocked and there are three other providers that are probably going to try for day one support (Telus, Bell, Wind). Wind in particular has a pretty interesting price scheme, if they can get micro SIMs. So maybe (?) they might actually depart from regular pricing, for once...

(you're right, I'm expecting too much. :lol )

EDIT: Actually, does the ipad support AWS? Do tmobile users get 3G on it?

syoaran

lol - here, most wifi spots in public are part of a private network you have to pay for. For example - BTopenzone is practically everywhere in the city and linked into most universities in London; but you have to pay a silly amount for it if you want to use it. Considering the pricing place, I'm guessing that it allows you unlimited access to all Orange hotspots - which might not be that bad depending on where you decide to be all day drinking teh coffees.

donkey show said:
Damn, I keep touching my monitor's screen at work, thinking it's like my iPad. :lol :lol :lol
I did that the first time someone gave me a Kindle, couldn't understand why touching the screen didn't do anything.

mehdi_san

You know what I hate most in this world? When I am expecting a delivery on Friday, thinking I'll get to play with my new toy during the whole weekend, but it stays at the customs for too long, and I have to wait until Monday to get it delivered (in this case, I am of course talking about the iPad...)

LCfiner

ok, seriously, some of you guys are nuts, trying to touch everything connected to a battery or power source, like some kind of caveman.:lol

If I started touching my screen at work, actually thinking it would react to my fingers after nearly 10 years of that never happening, they'd be justified in firing my ass :lol

Barrett2

Can't seem to get AirVideo running. I got a timed out error, now im' getting a "URL Resolver error." I don't know what that means...

LCfiner

lawblob said:
Can't seem to get AirVideo running. I got a timed out error, now im' getting a "URL Resolver error." I don't know what that means...

you got the air video server app running on your computer?

also, I think you need to enable remote connections from within the server program preferences

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
mehdi_san said:
You know what I hate most in this world? When I am expecting a delivery on Friday, thinking I'll get to play with my new toy during the whole weekend, but it stays at the customs for too long, and I have to wait until Monday to get it delivered (in this case, I am of course talking about the iPad...)

Looks like customs want to play with your ipad during the weekend.

Chorazin

lawblob said:

You should have two servers on your list in the app, a Local and a Remote version of your home connection. You need to set up the remote on the server, it's not on my default.

The reason why you want a Local and a Remote version is because if you just have the remote it'll always go through the internet to get your video as opposed to just using your local network.

Barrett2

LCfiner said:
you got the air video server app running on your computer?

also, I think you need to enable remote connections from within the server program preferences

Yeah, the App is running on my computer right now. I told it to "enable access from internet." When I open the App, it shows up in the server list, but when I first click on it to add it, it says "loading" for about twenty seconds, then gives me an error message.

Barrett2

Chorazin said:
You should have two servers on your list in the app, a Local and a Remote version of your home connection. You need to set up the remote on the server, it's not on my default.

The reason why you want a Local and a Remote version is because if you just have the remote it'll always go through the internet to get your video as opposed to just using your local network.

How do I set up the remote connection?

Chorazin

lawblob said:
How do I set up the remote connection?

When you enabled access from the internet, the program gave you a Server PIN, unique to your 'net enabled AirVideo server.

Then on the app in the Servers list, you just tap the +, choose Enter Server PIN, enter it, and everything should work!

Barrett2

Chorazin said:
When you enabled access from the internet, the program gave you a Server PIN, unique to your 'net enabled AirVideo server.

Then on the app in the Servers list, you just tap the +, choose Enter Server PIN, enter it, and everything should work!

Edit: It appears to be working now! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom