• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
If apple wants to charge more for their ebooks, they better fucking make a better reader for their damn device. as it is now, a >10 dollar pricetag is simply too much for a book on a sub par reading software.

Ashenor

Don't fight it, go get one :D.

I got to best buy twice and turned around the last week or so, but finally got one two days ago and I love it.

Sitting on the couch watching survivor and surfing Gaf on my iPad is great.

japtor

Freedom = $1.05 said:
There's no exporting in Keynotes? That's weird. At least in Pages you can export to either a doc or PDF file. That sounds crazy, if true.
It's true, Keynote and Numbers can only output their own types and PDF, no PPT or XLS...even when their desktop equivalents can.

What's more obnoxious is that Numbers default table style in the iPad doesn't even show up correctly in the desktop version. I also imported a file and it killed an equation which should've worked fine. The function was there but it didn't use the fancy reference format for the range for whatever reason (but worked fine for single cell references?).

That said I'm still going to use it, if at least for temporary entry. All the numbers are in tact so it works for that, I can copy paste into my desktop spreadsheet. I can do that from the iPad too at least over VNC, I use it for printing as well.

...native printing would be nice but I'm too cheap to pay for one of the print apps. It's kind of a pain emailing to myself, VNCing to my computer, switching to Mail, opening the attachment then printing. Printing has been rumored for a while so who knows, I'm guessing it'll require a print server on your computer but that's fine by me as long as it works.

Tobor

krypt0nian said:
At least no one ripped your finger off!

That reminds me, when I bought it, the guy at the Apple store handed me the bag by that string, no way was I holding it that way. :lol

Kodiak said:
If apple wants to charge more for their ebooks, they better fucking make a better reader for their damn device. as it is now, a >10 dollar pricetag is simply too much for a book on a sub par reading software.

What's wrong with it? Works fine for me so far.

Kodiak said:

Personally, I think iBooks is great. I have no issues with reading in it, and find that it is quite natural for reading books. I like the options for changing font size and screen brightness, and I love the option to tap on a word for a definition as well.

What are your beefs?

Kodiak said:

Wow I thnk the reader is pretty amazing. What's wrong with it?

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^^
I completed my first book with iBooks last night. I tried to stack the odds in iBooks favor by picking a book and file that would be a perfect fit: an epub that was already formatted by a publisher and wasn't a Calibre convert job; a book without tables or outline to avoid iBooks' problems without those; one without pictures so the experience won't diverge too much from the physical book; a novel that had the barest minimum of hyperlinks and one that didn't required adding notes.

Even with all those advantages, iBooks still couldn't get it right. Text reflow is a bitch; surely they could implement resizing fonts in such a way that didn't require that. Landscape and portrait views lead to different parts of the text. I had intended to occasionally switch between the two but I could never find my place in the book and gave up. iBooks needs an in-app browser (Last app was very useful here to get back from Safari to iBooks) and should immediately offer to search google and wikipedia if the dictionary turns up nothing. And iBooks makes every book look and feel the same way and that's sad imo :( (only five fucking fixed fonts)

Typekit now supports fonts on the iPhone
In our never-ending quest to provide fonts for all platforms and devices, we’ve rolled out support for Typekit fonts on the iPhone. This means you can now use @font-face across all supporting desktop browsers, as well as the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.

To start using fonts on these devices, open up the Kit Editor and choose Experimental Features in the kit settings. We’ve launched this as an optional setting like we did for the iPad due to the somewhat buggy behavior in Mobile Safari. Also, note that the fonts only work on iPhone OS 3.1 or higher. We’ve written up our notes on what works and doesn’t in a previous post, so be sure to read up about the implications of using these features and test carefully with your website.

We’re rapidly expanding our mobile support as we learn more about what works and doesn’t in a wide variety of devices. We’ll keep updating you here and on our Twitter feed as we launch more devices. It’s still very much the Wild West out there with @font-face, but look on the bright side: Your Typekit-enabled website will always represent the best practices and latest support for fonts on the web. We’ll keep sweating the details so you don’t have to.

LCfiner

krypt0nian said:
In my significantly less rigourous testing compared to charred, I just find that the fonts look awful pixelated and chunky compared to the kindle app.

Not the kindle device. The kindle app.

Seriously, Georgia is way nicer to read on the iPad screen than the five fonts that apple put in iBooks. The only iBooks font that looked decent to me was Cochin at a relatively small point size. The rest are all nasty looking. Worse than reading most web pages. Worse than the ny times app, worse than the kindle app. It's a shame.

Tobor

I guess I'm not a font guy, the ones that are in there look fine to me.

EDIT: I just took another look at the Kindle app and iBooks...and they both look fine to me. I guess I'm easy to please. Higher resolution would be welcome, don't get me wrong, but I have no beef as is.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
: < looks like i'm gonna have to wait until canadian launch... my buyer refunded my purchase as he noticed a slight crack bah

3G here i come!

3G iPads are sold out EVERYWHERE around my aread, and I have 2 Apple stores and 3 Best Buys around :< I don't want to sell my iPad WiFi and then be iPad less for God only knows how long :lol

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
krypt0nian said:

the main thing is that there is value in buying a hard copy book or even a nicely bound paper back edition that simply doesn't exist when you buy an e-book. They should be cheaper for that simple reason, and never exceed 9.99 in my opinion.

but the reader itself is pretty "meh"

I think this article covers all my qualms about the software rather nicely
http://gizmodo.com/5522341/how-to-fix-todays-ebook-readers

Tobor

Kodiak said:
the main thing is that there is value in buying a hard copy book or even a nicely bound paper back edition that simply doesn't exist when you buy an e-book. They should be cheaper for that simple reason, and never exceed 9.99 in my opinion.

This is a long read, but a great one, and explains the pricing situation from all angles:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/04/26/100426fa_fact_auletta

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Tobor said:
This is a long read, but a great one, and explains the pricing situation from all angles:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/04/26/100426fa_fact_auletta

this is a great read so far, but I'm a little confused. How are publishers selling digital copies of their books at 13 dollars? Is amazon buying individual codes or something? Why isn't it just a file that they host and then split part of the 10 dollars with the publisher for each download? Makes no sense to me that you would ever have to sell a digital file at a loss.

Tobor

Kodiak said:
this is a great read so far, but I'm a little confused. How are publishers selling digital copies of their books at 13 dollars? Is amazon buying individual codes or something? Why isn't it just a file that they host and then split part of the 10 dollars with the publisher for each download? Makes no sense to me that you would ever have to sell a digital file at a loss.

The publisher wants $13 for his book. Amazon pays the $13, then drops the price to $9.99. Amazon loses money on every book, but builds a monopoly long term.

Dreams-Visions said:
cool, thanks for the link.

No problem. I'd posted it before, but it got lost in the noise at launch.

Ember128

Ok guys. I'm tempted. But I need to be able to justify it. I would need to do a bunch of stuff on it.

1. Write, save as PDF
2. Draw, pictures, Diagrams, etc, save as PDF
3. Email
4. FTP, Filter by Mac Address would be nice
5. Upload things to my iPad from my Camera. Create smaller versions of JPG's from ones uploaded to send, batch processing preferable. Being able to handle Canon .CR2 RAW Files would be preferred.
6. Use Google Docs
7. Remotely Operate my Canon 7D
8. VNC to my Computer
9. I need some absolutely incredible Contact Management and Calender Software. I need to link Contacts and Calender and Photo and Client shit all together in some incredible way.
10. Keep up to date on Xbox live, PSN, NEOGAF etc.
11. Audio Transcription would be nice
12. Mount external drive from CF/SDHC Cards

Sell me, people!

Terrell

Advocating print media over digital is tough. Publishers are expecting me to pay for something twice because they can't get with the times and provide a digital copy with a print copy, so at this point, the fact that we're arguing over one format over another when we SHOULD be paying once and getting both is totally ridiculous.

Tobor

Ember128 said:
Ok guys. I'm tempted. But I need to be able to justify it. I would need to do a bunch of stuff on it.

1. Write, save as PDF yes, with an app
2. Draw, pictures, Diagrams, etc, save as PDF ?
3. Email Of course
4. FTP, Filter by Mac Address would be nice ?
5. Upload things to my iPad from my Camera. Create smaller versions of JPG's from ones uploaded to send, batch processing preferable. Being able to handle Canon .CR2 RAW Files would be preferred. ?
6. Use Google Docs at some point, I assume.
7. Remotely Operate my Canon 7D ?
8. VNC to my Computer yes
9. I need some absolutely incredible Contact Management and Calender Software. I need to link Contacts and Calender and Photo and Client shit all together in some incredible way. I have no idea what you mean by incredible, but it has all that.
10. Keep up to date on Xbox live, PSN, NEOGAF etc. Web Browser.
11. Audio Transcription would be nice Yes, with the Dragon app.
12. Mount external drive from CF/SDHC Cards :lol nope.

Sell me, people!

Blackhead

Redarse
Ember128 said:

1. Write, save as PDF
3. Email
5. Upload things to my iPad from my Camera. Create smaller versions of JPG's from ones uploaded to send, batch processing preferable. Being able to handle Canon .CR2 RAW Files would be preferred.
6. Use Google Docs
8. VNC to my Computer
9. I need some absolutely incredible Contact Management and Calender Software. I need to link Contacts and Calender and Photo and Client shit all together in some incredible way.

Sell me, people!

You can complete all those tasks on the iPad right now (except, perhaps, mounting an external drive from CF/SDHC Cards). However, you should be prepared to invest a minimum of $100 in apps and accessories to do all that stuff. Many of the solutions you'll be getting now aren't the best they can be, some are barely good enough, so you'll also be betting that the apps and accessories will receive further development. Else, in three months, you could be splurging another $100 on the 'the new best app' for Google Docs or Audio Transcription.

You can search for iPad apps here

mandiller

Ember128 said:

1. Write, save as PDF
3. Email
6. Use Google Docs
8. VNC to my Computer

Sell me, people!

Perhaps you want to buy yourself a laptop? The iPad isn't meant to do everything.

I've got a quick question for iPad users. Would I be able to use my Nokia e71 as a 3G modem by using some software like Joikuspot on it, then connect my iPad via wifi to browse and use apps etc? I'm waiting for the iPad release here in Australia, but I don't want to fork out for the 3G model.

Blackhead

Redarse
Kodiak said:

What's up with that webpage? Is it broken for everybody else?

japtor

Tobor said:
2. Draw, pictures, Diagrams, etc, save as PDF ?
4. FTP, Filter by Mac Address would be nice ?
5. Upload things to my iPad from my Camera. Create smaller versions of JPG's from ones uploaded to send, batch processing preferable. Being able to handle Canon .CR2 RAW Files would be preferred. ?
7. Remotely Operate my Canon 7D ?
12. Mount external drive from CF/SDHC Cards nope.
2. Adobe Ideas is a relatively simple vector drawing app, outputs in PDF. For more complex stuff on the high end (like if you really need hardcore diagramming) there's OmniGraffle. I've seen a bunch of stuff in between too.
4. I'm pretty sure there's FTP apps but it probably depends a bunch on what your specific usage is, like I would guess that the apps are limited.
5. Camera connection kit can import pictures (and I think it does handle RAW). I believe there's uploader apps from that point (I vaguely remember a Flickr one for example) but I have no experience with them.
7. Kind of, but that requires a computer to be connected to the camera...and it's an iPhone app (it'll run on the iPad, but it'll be pixel doubled and not taking advantage of the extra space).
12. I'd guess nope but it depends what you mean. If you mean for importing pictures, yeah you can do that with the camera connection kit for SD, for CF you'll need a USB reader for it (the kit is only SD and USB). If you mean for whatever other usage, there's nothing there (at least officially, I'd expect jailbreakers to make use of external storage at some point).

Anyone make a stylus yet? I just made one a few minutes ago with a plain ol kitchen sponge and sketched it out:

24buuea.png

Edit - kitchen stylus is dead, guess I need better foam/sponge. It kind of works, but I have to push pretty hard to get it to register, not really useful that way.

f@luS

More than a member.
anyone willing to send over an IPAD 3G for me to france?
1000$ with shipping, it gives u some extra bucks :D

ravien56

So I was browsing through some sites yesterday, watching some "videos", trying out what sites work and what don't and the one video loaded, played maybe a few seconds, I skipped to the 2 minute mark, the video paused but the audio was still going. I tried pressing back or changing the tab, great the browser is frozen, ok no worries I'll just go back to the home screen. Nothing. Ok, I'll just do a restart. So I do the restart and the lock screen, the slide bar has extended to the whole screen. So I unslide then the home screen pretty much ended up looking like my iphone, the dock was in the corner, and was very little and the apps looked so tiny. I then tried restarting it a few times, nothing. This morning, I tried just using spirit to jailbreak it again, nothing, had to do a restore and its all working well now. Gave me a huge worry though.

CAVE343

I just got one today and it's a great device. I' m typing this now on it and it feels pretty good already. Great gadget :)

I'm also looking for a twitter app which can tweet pictures, I have Twitterific right now but it doesn't allow you to tweet pics.

Chorazin

bad-joey said:
I just got one today and it's a great device. I' m typing this now on it and it feels pretty good already. Great gadget :)

I'm also looking for a twitter app which can tweet pictures, I have Twitterific right now but it doesn't allow you to tweet pics.

You can download TweetDeck for free and it'll upload pics.

I've tried most of the "good" Twitter apps, and Twitterific is still the best. The 1.1 update is pending with Apple right now and that adds pic uploading, but who knows when it'll be out in the store. :(

lawblob said:
Why is the App store layout so shitty on the iPad?

I think it's excellent on the iPad, what don't you like about it?

LCfiner

Canadian Prices are also up.

Just add 50 bucks to each American price point

550 for the cheapest model, 880 for the most expensive.

Could be better but the loonie is dropping a bit recently so I guess they're bumping up the price difference expecting a stronger US dollar for the next year.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Going on a long car ride (6 hours or so) and I loaded up the end of S3 and the start of S4 onto the sucker for my wife, as well as a few other movies in case she drives for whatever reason.

Good chance to test the battery life if she tries to watch stuff straight through, but somehow I doubt she will (more of a car sleeper).

Macally Bookstand case is on it's way, though. Looking forward to that.

Terrell

LCfiner said:
Canadian Prices are also up.

Just add 50 bucks to each American price point

550 for the cheapest model, 880 for the most expensive.

Could be better but the loonie is dropping a bit recently so I guess they're bumping up the price difference expecting a stronger US dollar for the next year.
Yeah, they've been hoping for our dollar to permanently hit the shitter for months and it hasn't. So I can only take solice that other regions were hit just as badly. Boo-urns Apple.

Purexed

Banned
I'm concerned that there is something wrong with my iPad, can some try going to ESPN.com from their iPad. It hasn't been working for me for the past couple of days. It's doing this weird cyclical refresh thing that's super strange. Just want to make sure its not just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom