• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

GodfatherX said:
Why are we still without a facebook app..ugh

also curious if anyone has jailbroken their ipad yet
I've jailbroken, I know Charred has. It was so much simpler than jailbreaking my iPhone--just connect the iPad and press one button.

Chorazin

mehdi_san said:
Bbbbbut... they can't do that right? They can't open it and start using it, right? RIGHT??

I mean, what if they had to open it and test it for a few days to make sure it wasn't a bomb or something? Your safety is of the utmost concern!

numble said:
I've jailbroken, I know Charred has. It was so much simpler than jailbreaking my iPhone--just connect the iPad and press one button.
why didn't the one-button jailbreak work with your phone? It's been a one-button thing since blackra1n.

rezuth said:
What makes it worth it?
full-fledged, real multitasking alone makes it worthwhile.

also the customization options and flexibility including access to the filesystem for saving whatever you want and other stuff make it more than worth it.

numble

Dreams-Visions said:
why didn't the one-button jailbreak work with your phone? It's been a one-button thing since blackra1n.
I haven't tried the new methods because I haven't had to update my firmware for a long time.

I have been jailbreaking since the 2G days, I remember the shit we had to do, I've never used any of the newer one button jailbreaks mainly because I've relied on quickpwn for so long and I'm weary of using a non dev team jb, but I know that's silly...I'll be using the spirit jailbreak later...ugh that means I have to redo my cloud readers library again

Costanza

Banned
GodfatherX said:
I have been jailbreaking since the 2G days, I remember the shit we had to do, I've never used any of the newer one button jailbreaks mainly because I've relied on quickpwn for so long and I'm weary of using a non dev team jb, but I know that's silly...I'll be using the spirit jailbreak later...ugh that means I have to redo my cloud readers library again
you don't have to restore with Spirit.

Gowans

Bah I was hoping it was gona be under £400, oddly that extra £30 makes a difference.

Still getting one but do I import or wait for someone traveling to the US to bring me one back? hmm..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got delayed a little at airport security today. Left the iPad in my bag on the outbound flight no problem. But coming back today the security guys were looking at their screens for a while before coming over and asking if I had a DVD player in there. I said it was an iPad, they asked me to remove it and show them, then they rescanned my bags. No mention that I should have removed it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Odd that the us and euro prices are all equal steps between models - €/$100. but the uk price is £70 for 16-32, then £100 for 32-64. That's a bit bloody cheeky. Should be another £70, so £669. If they're going to fuck us over on the high end, then they could have tried to get the 16gb at £399..

SuperPac

mrklaw said:
Got delayed a little at airport security today. Left the iPad in my bag on the outbound flight no problem. But coming back today the security guys were looking at their screens for a while before coming over and asking if I had a DVD player in there. I said it was an iPad, they asked me to remove it and show them, then they rescanned my bags. No mention that I should have removed it.

Because you don't have to remove it unless the screeners wanna double-check it.

http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2010/04/traveling-with-e-readers-netbooks-and.html

Purexed

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
Is the camera connection kit hard to find in stores?

Working okay on my end. Are you borwsing mobile espn or the iPad formated site? Care to post a screenshot of the problem? Try clearing your cache and cookies as well.

Clearing the cache worked.

*exhales*

:D

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Can you upload photos from your iPad?

I still use my iPhone for that. W/o a camera, having the FB photo upload option on iPad would be useless for me.

Using the full site is pretty amazing.

gkryhewy

krypt0nian said:
I still use my iPhone for that. W/o a camera, having the FB photo upload option on iPad would be useless for me.

Using the full site is pretty amazing.

With the camera connection kit, this is a useful feature for me. The less I have to use my old iBook for anything, the better.

dyls

Costanza said:
I have. Its so worth it.

Any noticeable issues with speed or stability?

I had my iPhone 3G jailbroken throughout the 2.x software, but once 3.0 hit the phone was already slow enough. When I tried to jailbreak it again it made it almost unusable.

I love the speed of the iPad and would hate for anything to compromise that.

Costanza

Banned
dyls said:

I had my iPhone 3G jailbroken throughout the 2.x software, but once 3.0 hit the phone was already slow enough. When I tried to jailbreak it again it made it almost unusable.

Nope. Since sbsettings got patched a couple days ago I haven't noticed any issues.

numble

dyls said:

I'm sure it's okay as long as you don't try to stretch the iPad's suability too much. I just use backgrounder, for instance, and only for Pandora and NPR at that. Everything still runs fine.

Schlep

Just want to say I love OmniGraffle on iPad. I've never used the Mac version, but I've had to use Visio on the PC for a while now, and I absolutely hate it. It feels like Omni took away the layer of complexity and my documents no longer look like Visio's butthole.

Tobor

Schlep said:
Just want to say I love OmniGraffle on iPad. I've never used the Mac version, but I've had to use Visio on the PC for a while now, and I absolutely hate it. It feels like Omni took away the layer of complexity and my documents no longer look like Visio's butthole.
That's an App Store quote right there. :lol

I did the jailbreak the second I was able to get my hands on the release, the iPad is so fast I don't have any speed worries - can't say the same for my jail broken 3G iPhone.

My killer jailbreak app is tethering my iPhone to my wifi only iPad.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
MyWi is the killer app for us Wi-Fi iPad users. Just set it up and it's frickin' amazing. Once we have the new iPhone with improved battery life -- drool. I just find the idea of having to pay more money to access the same data stream as my phone infuriating.

numble

SnowWolf said:
Does the iPad 3G network work globally? What if I travel to Asia or something, how would I use the 3G network there? Do I still use the AT&T subscription?♦
You can, but you wouldn't want to.

AT&T will charge you this for international 3G roaming:
$24.99/month: 20 MB Data
$59.99/month: 50 MB Data
$119.99/month: 100 MB Data
$199.99/month: 200 MB Data
[http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/04/atandts-international-ipad-3g-data-plans-will-make-you-yearn-for/]

Better to get a local data plan. The iPad 3G is unlocked, so it will work with any 3G sim card (you might need to manually cut them though).

SnowWolf said:
Does the iPad 3G network work globally? What if I travel to Asia or something, how would I use the 3G network there? Do I still use the AT&T subscription?♦

No, it works in most places with a 3G network, but can be problematic in Korea or Japan, for instance. It's the same restriction as with phones though - you're limited to wherever there is EDGE or 3G GSM support.

You can use your device as is, but you'll be paying roaming charges, which are pretty brutal and uncapped. It's always best to buy a travel plan for that sort of thing - you basically pay up front for a certain amount of data, but it's typically a lot cheaper than hoping the roaming bill you get later is affordable. I'm sure AT&T has a page with roaming charges though.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Hrm... damn it. My parents just realized that Wi-Fi isn't very widespread in Taiwan and Japan, which severely handicaps what they can do with the Wi-Fi iPad. They're out of the U.S. probably once a month every year so now we're considering selling this iPad and getting the 3G.

Flek

Banned
awesome so apple confirmed that germany can suck there big dirty apple cocks … 

we have to pay 655,478 USD for the 16 GB iPad wlan only … yeha you got it thats 156 USD more than you uslers have to pay for it. WTF.

but yeha apple knows we are bitches and we will still buy it

gonna preorder 32gb 3g on monday … 

Cr0wn0

If you jb your iPad check out fullforce in cydia. It makes some iPhone apps run natively on the iPad. Tweetie 2 works perfect. Theres also a compatibility page on the apps cydia page.

giga

Flek said:
awesome so apple confirmed that germany can suck there big dirty apple cocks … 

we have to pay 655,478 USD for the 16 GB iPad wlan only … yeha you got it thats 156 USD more than you uslers have to pay for it. WTF.

but yeha apple knows we are bitches and we will still buy it

gonna preorder 32gb 3g on monday … 
You germs have a 19% VAT included in your price. The $500 we pay doesn’t include our sales tax. (which is still at least 10% less than your taxes)

mrkgoo

Tobor said:
I went on an app spending spree today. Page 3 is go!

I have four pages of apps, and unlike my iPhone, I like to leave a gap at the bottom.

Page 1: Apple Apps plus drawing/notes apps.
Page 2: Tools (widgets) and reference apps.
Page 3: Entertainment apps (non-games).
Page 4: Games

japtor said:
Anyone make a stylus yet? I just made one a few minutes ago with a plain ol kitchen sponge and sketched it out:

I have a pogo sketch, its not as amazing as you would hope but i have a feeling its probably a lot more sturdy and reliable than a homebrew sponge stylus. I'm disappointed that I don't think we'll ever see a stylus built in the way resistive styluses are built. I would settle for a hard-tipped stylus that's as bulky as the tip of the pogo sketch is though, hopefully with really good conduction or whatever too.

Oh and external drives are mounted in the ipad, but official apps cant access the mount points, its only a matter of time before a jailbreak app is designed to allow at least copy/paste functionality.

xelv

So I played with an iPad at a local reseller store. The experience was magical. I have no idea what use I could give to it right now but just the elegance and commodity it offers attracts me a lot. I just smiled while playing with it. All I could think off was "this is magical". :lol

xelv said:
So I played with an iPad at a local reseller store. The experience was magical. I have no idea what use I could give to it right now but just the elegance and commodity it offers attracts me a lot. I just smiled while playing with it. All I could think off was "this is magical". :lol
AppleWeasel.png

Also, I just noticed the name of the above avatar image is "AppleWeasel.png" :lol

Blackhead

Redarse
Dreams-Visions said:
just an FYI. Winterboard (icon customization and more) is confirmed to be partially working now.

edit: FULL JAILBROKEN APP COMPATABILITY LIST HERE:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=tHnYEq4SmhIGOgbH9TVgXgA&f=true&gid=0

(sorry if already posted...but hey, redundancy is sometimes good)
Add UserAgentSwitcher (Pass) to that list.

Are there any iPad specific themes available?

Someone's figured out how to use external HDDs with the Camera Connectivity Kit.. I'm having some trouble with that. I couldn't get a HFS formatted volume to mount. Then the FAT32 volume mounted but none of the files on the drive showed. Has anybody had better luck? I'm using iSSH instead of Terminal, do I really have to get a laptop? This is as far as I got:

w2lh7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom