• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quite possibly the most intriguing "vs" match-up of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
4445294527_01cc742e47.jpg

VS.

4445294549_b0034d64ff_o.jpg

One-on-one naval engagements to the death.

There would be two "home" and "away" rounds. One in Aubrey's time with wooden sailing ships, another in the 24th Century with Sovereign-class ships. Both matches allow sufficient time for each captain to familiarize themselves with the technologies and practices of the time. I think Picard would have a slight edge there since he's already quite familiar with age-of-sail tactics whereas Aubrey would have a lot to learn about sensors and shields and whatnot. But at the end of the day my money would still be on Lucky Jack.

PS: Don't tell me you wouldn't pay top dollar to see this in theaters.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't want to choose a winner (both are too awesome), but I will say this:

They need to make a Master and Commander sequel as soon as fucking possible. One of my favorite movies of all time.

The more I think about it the more it's Aubrey all the way. Hell even with the Surprise versus the Enterprise I'd give him a fighting chance.

wRATH2x

Banned
Sean Connery in a Darth Vader costume VS. Jack Nicholson in a Batman costume in a sword fight over platform which is slightly higher than a volcano infested with Killer Whales and Sharks.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Picard won't be able to anticipate Aubrey's moves because he'll think no one is that stupid, hence Aubrey will win by sheer stupidity.

usea

Gary Whitta said:
Both matches allow sufficient time for each captain to familiarize themselves with the technologies and practices of the time.
Well this line basically reveals the fantasy for what it is. A man's skill is mostly just a summary of his knowledge and experience. But then you're letting each "sufficient time to familiarize" which basically means you let them become equals.

Are you trying to measure some sort of "innate" quality of the men? Does this boil down to nature vs nurture? What's the point of it again?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Chinner said:
Gary Whitta VS William Shakespeare.
The duck wins once again.

I tip my hat to you.

to be fair, i haven't read the books, but Aubrey got lucky multiple times in his battles, so even though i pretty much never watch Star Trek, it'd probably be Picard

that said, i want a Master and Commander sequel so, so, so, so bad

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
usea said:
Well this line basically reveals the fantasy for what it is. A man's skill is mostly just a summary of his knowledge and experience. But then you're letting each "sufficient time to familiarize" which basically means you let them become equals.

Are you trying to measure some sort of "innate" quality of the men? Does this boil down to nature vs nurture? What's the point of it again?

Leadership and strategy. Familiarizing oneself with the technology and general practices doesn't mean you're letting them become equals. He's basically saying you give Russell Crowe the Star Trek technical guide and let him figure out how the ship works.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gary Whitta said:
4445294527_01cc742e47.jpg

VS.

4445294549_b0034d64ff_o.jpg

There would be two "home" and "away" rounds. One in Aubrey's time with wooden sailing ships, another in the 24th Century with Sovereign-class ships. Both matches allow sufficient time for each captain to familiarize themselves with the technologies and practices of the time. I think Picard would have a slight edge there since he's already quite familiar with age-of-sail tactics whereas Aubrey would have a lot to learn about sensors and shields and whatnot. But at the end of the day my money would still be on Lucky Jack.

a0jaxw.gif

Davidion

Gary Whitta said:

Not a cent.

On the other hand, I would pay great money to see the two captains command their respective fleets against each other. Here I even wrote the screenplay.

*Starfleet approaches Colonial period Earth*

"Captain Picard, Jack Aubrey has issued his challenge, shall we commence orbital bombardment?"

"Make it so"

*15 minutes of glorious apocalyptic massacre*

"Ensign, set a course for Deep Space Nine...Engage"

Best movie ever.

Gary Whitta said:

I'm going to suggest a modest improvement: A sub-plot in which Scarlett Johannson disguises herself as a man so she can join the crew and take revenge on the rogue captain who murdered her father. The plan goes awry when a shipmate accidentally catches Scarlett giving herself a sponge bath and is treated to 3 1/2 minute exhibition of her glistening, full breasts.

Make the adjustment and my $10.50 is yours.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Megadragon15 said:
But why would Denzel Washington fight himself?
Evil twin perhaps? Give one of them a goatee and it can work.

Sullen

I'd give it to Picard, probably because: Picard is older and more experienced. On top of that, Picard is used to having to deal with a lot of weird alien shit and oddball situations, so I think that he also has an edge in terms of dealing with the unpredictability of the battlefield. Which is not to say that Lucky Jack doesnt also have that ability, but I just think Picard has been through more of it.

It doesn't even make any sense.

Picard knows about sailing. He also knows starship combat.

That pirate dude knows how to sail his boat around the water but knocks jack shit about combat in a 3dimensional environment (let alone its technology)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Aubrey would be just like Khan in Star Trek 2. Khan had plenty of time to learn about starships and the time he was thrust into. But Spock figured out early that his patterns were that of someone thinking 2 dimensionally, thus giving Kirk/Picard the advantage.

::nerdoff::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom