• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnid

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if post-3DS devices start adopting this tech like mad assuming it goes over well.

But the PSP is likely to do the same thing Sony does every generation. Here's what I see as PSP2: PSP Go form factor, up the horse power, make it higher res OLED screen, add a second analog stick, slap a touch screen on there (maybe a camera and accelorometers to boot). I'd be very surprised to see something much different. Basically, an Ipod touch with buttons.

Guevara

Somnid said:
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if post-3DS devices start adopting this tech like mad assuming it goes over well.

But the PSP is likely to do the same thing Sony does every generation. Here's what I see as PSP2: PSP Go form factor, up the horse power, make it higher res OLED screen, add a second analog stick, slap a touch screen on there (maybe a camera and accelorometers to boot). I'd be very surprised to see something much different. Basically, an Ipod touch with buttons.

I can see this. Steve Jobs in 2014:

"Now we weren't the first to do 3D in a handheld, but we're gonna be the best. Just like cut and paste and multitasking."

-WindYoshi- said:
Maybe, unless the PSP2 with a 3D screen and much better graphics is somehow marketed at a similar price. Why else would Nintendo announce the 3DS so early, and at the (possible) expense of some DSi XL sales?

I think Sony has the same thing going on, screen wise.
Japanese news sources said that Nintendo probably didn't want to do it and interfere with the XL, but that stuff about the 3DS was going to be leaked by journalists and they wanted to clear the air.

Dedication Through Light said:
They must have some way to prolong or generate rumble without sacrificing battery life, I guess, lol.

Stylus rumble > Device rumble, in my mind.

But then you would only feel rumble in stylus games.
...unless the stylus rumbled when put away too.

Cep

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Japanese news sources said that Nintendo probably didn't want to do it and interfere with the XL, but that stuff about the 3DS was going to be leaked by journalists and they wanted to clear the air.

That does not seem like the best of decisions.

They could have just denied the shit out of the news and enjoyed healthier XL sales.

I am guessing there is more that we do not know that would place this in a better light.

Baki

Cep said:

They could have just denied the shit out of the news and enjoyed healthier XL sales.

I am guessing there is more that we do not know that would place this in a better light.

But how would Nintendo know what SCE is doing unless they have corporate spies or their friends at SHARP broke an NDA?

Cep said:

Actually, it seems perfect.

It kills two birds with one stone.

1. It stops speculations and rumors caused by said journalists.

2. It builds up even more hype for their E3 conference.

And honestly, I doubt Nintendo cares about sales of the XL in the West.
They've already sold hundreds of millions of DS systems.

Baki

AceBandage said:

To be honest, it not as if XL is going to cause a bump in sales like DSi did.

Cep

Banned
AceBandage said:

I am not saying that it does not make sense, I am simply saying that it may not have been the best of several viable paths, does not follow their MO (too rash).

I have trouble accepting that either point completely override the fact that this is not good for XL sales, and that they lose real money as opposed to theoretical damage and lack of 'hype'.

Busaiku

It's not like DS will die out in the West.
Maybe DSi XL won't do as well, but the entire line itself will continue to do very well.
After all, the GBA did manage to last much longer in the US than any other region, doing well into 2007.

Cep said:
I am not saying that it does not make sense, I am simply saying that it may not have been the best of several viable paths, does not follow their MO (too rash).

I have trouble accepting that either point completely override the fact that this is not good for XL sales, and that they lose real money as opposed to theoretical damage and lack of 'hype'.

Well, the thing is, they really won't lose any money this way.

The people that the XL is aimed at aren't going to know/care about the 3DS.

Deku

Banned
AceBandage said:

3. the DSiXL target market probably doesn't care.

The DSi XL was designed for people who have bad eyesight. It was initially made for the older generation of DS users. It made sense, if they truly wanted to cater to all the generations perhaps they should start with the differences in needs. Then they thought why not just market it at to as many as possible. There is no harm from excess sales. Then they thought why not the west too. So it was only to broaden the accessibility options.

yankee666

People, its not a big deal that they announced the 3DS before the Dsi Xl came out. I mean, they are a business company after all, its not like one morning Iwata waked up and said, ahh lets screw up the US DSi Xl launch by announcing the 3DS (laughs!!!). Besides not everyone that bought or will buy a DSi/DsiXl is 24/7 reading gaming news. Even if some people find out about the 3DS, maybe they don't care or don't want to wait a year for a new machine. BTW when is the next NPD? maybe then we'll know the truth :D

yankee666 said:
People, its not a big deal that they announced the 3DS before the Dsi Xl came out. I mean, they are a business company after all, its not like one morning Iwata waked up and said, ahh lets screw up the US DSi Xl launch by announcing the 3DS (laughs!!!). Besides not everyone that bought or will buy a DSi/DsiXl is 24/7 reading gaming news. Even if some people find out about the 3DS, maybe they don't care or don't want to wait a year for a new machine. BTW when is the next NPD? maybe then we'll know the truth :D

come on!!! if they were sneacy they would wait a week until all hardocore fans bought the XL and then announce the 3ds...

They took tje honest way and sayl.. hey we are launching a new 3d console in 12 months... but the XL if you dont want the 3d one

camineet

Banned
Damn, i'm so hyped about 3DS.

Give me a sequel to Twilight Princess instead of a port. That would be perfect since Wii Zelda is going to be different.

Also, Metroid Dread and Mario Galaxy 3DS at launch ^__^

Haunted

Old people don't give a shit about those threedee thingamajigs, so I don't see how this [forced] announcement is detrimental to potential XL sales. Which I've always seen as a novelty spinoff anyway, so it doesn't really matter in the first place.

TOSE 3DS participation is interesting, extending grips (à la Classic Controller Pro, I imagine) with rumble support are very interesting.

The thought of viewing things in crystal clear 3D without glasses is making me take a bit of a different stance on purchasing a 3D enabled TV. I'm pretty ignorant to most of the details(in fact, I've learned most of what I know from all of you), but its seems as if the TVs which support 3D with glasses will have a tad bit of blur and loss of vibrancy to them. These are two things that I care for GREATLY when it comes to viewing any particular set, and having them fall even a tad bit is enough to sway me to stay clear, especially after viewing something in full effect without glasses. I would gladly sacrifice viewing 3D with glasses if it isn't absolutely crisp and vibrant, but is this how it will be once the sets actually arrive?

I'm not saying 3D is a waste at all(I love the fact that we have such an option as a consumer), but it just may not be right for me if this is indeed the case. I know how I am, and if the 3DS does product a clear image, it will annoy me to view something of a lesser quality AND wear glasses while doing so. Hell, it will annoy me period, even without comparing it to a non-glasses display.

If possible, could anyone fill me in on the latest info when it comes to home 3D tech, because as I said, I'm pretty ignorant to most of it outside of what I read in bullet points. How will it be compared to the standard sets we have today as far as image quality and motion is concerned?

Surgeon Rocket said:
Jacked from YoPretendo:

"Rumble stuff"

Patent referring to internal rumble and other stuff

http://www.mediafire.com/?yyzwi4dooot
You know, this might be kinda cool with a movie, with the option to toggle it on/off of course.

-WindYoshi- said:
Maybe, unless the PSP2 with a 3D screen and much better graphics is somehow marketed at a similar price. Why else would Nintendo announce the 3DS so early, and at the (possible) expense of some DSi XL sales?

I think Sony has the same thing going on, screen wise.
Whether you look at it as the announcement coming within a year of the system launch, or the announcement coming 5 1/4 years after the previous system's release, neither seems very early.

abstract alien said:
The thought of viewing things in crystal clear 3D without glasses is making me take a bit of a different stance on purchasing a 3D enabled TV. I'm pretty ignorant to most of the details(in fact, I've learned most of what I know from all of you), but its seems as if the TVs which support 3D with glasses will have a tad bit of blur and loss of vibrancy to them. These are two things that I care for GREATLY when it comes to viewing any particular set, and having them fall even a tad bit is enough to sway me to stay clear, especially after viewing something in full effect without glasses. I would gladly sacrifice viewing 3D with glasses if it isn't absolutely crisp and vibrant, but is this how it will be once the sets actually arrive?

If possible, could anyone fill me in on the latest info when it comes to home 3D tech, because as I said, I'm pretty ignorant to most of it outside of what I read in bullet points. How will it be compared to the standard sets we have today as far as image quality and motion is concerned?

You know, this might be kinda cool with a movie, with the option to toggle it on/off of course.

Im quite sure that, A) if one is going out to buy a tv in relatively after the Fall/winter then most HDTVs should probably ship with 3D/2D Modes, furthermore. Also, I dont even think the best 3D weve seen in theaters has been truly that crisp or vibrate, even in IMAX, I guess 3D will always have blurred horizons?

Oh well, I aim to be one of the first adopters of both 3D on the homefront as well as in the handhelds.

What day is Nintendo's E3 talk?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dedication Through Light said:
Im quite sure that, A) if one is going out to buy a tv in relatively after the Fall/winter then most HDTVs should probably ship with 3D/2D Modes, furthermore. Also, I dont even think the best 3D weve seen in theaters has been truly that crisp or vibrate, even in IMAX, I guess 3D will always have blurred horizons?

Oh well, I aim to be one of the first adopters of both 3D on the homefront as well as in the handhelds.

What day is Nintendo's E3 talk?

June 14 I believe.

Shiggy

The developers of Disney Fairies: Tinker Bell posted this on their website. I wonder whether it's related to the 3DS.

wow02.png
wow03.png

They haven't done any large-scale project since DQ Sword for Wii. Classic Book Collection 3D to be announced soon? :lol

XPE

camineet said:
Damn, i'm so hyped about 3DS.

Give me a sequel to Twilight Princess instead of a port. That would be perfect since Wii Zelda is going to be different.

Also, Metroid Dread and Mario Galaxy 3DS at launch ^__^

I think you are setting your expectations a little to high there.

My guess for launch titles would be a port of sunshine and mayby a new wave race

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Haunted said:
Old people don't give a shit about those threedee thingamajigs, so I don't see how this [forced] announcement is detrimental to potential XL sales. Which I've always seen as a novelty spinoff anyway, so it doesn't really matter in the first place.

TOSE 3DS participation is interesting, extending grips (à la Classic Controller Pro, I imagine) with rumble support are very interesting.
TOSE is helping to develop 47 games this fiscal year alone. It would actually be far more notable if they weren't making 3DS games, as that could almost imply a lack of support given how much work they do.

Also, it must be kind of depressing to work at TOSE:

Gamasutra Circa 2006 said:
"We're always behind the scenes," said Masa Agarida, Vice President of Tose's U.S. division. "Our policy is not to have a vision. Instead, we follow our customers' visions. Most of the time we refuse to put our name on the games, not even staff names."

Employing over one thousand people, Tose has developed quite a few portable games as of late, including nineteen Sony PSP and seventeen Nintendo DS titles. In fact, Tose's entire back catalogue has surpassed 1,100 games, developed either in part or, in most cases, in full, with hardware ranging from arcade cabinets to classic consoles such as the Nintendo Entertainment System, to the Japanese MSX computer, to mobile phones, and even relatively obscure portable devices, such as the Wonderswan Color.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ShockingAlberto said:
TOSE has more competition now than they did five years ago.
That's true, but 8ing and Dimps are only a third the size of TOSE combined, so I would say they're definitely still one of the largest.

Of course, the most interesting question is which of their partners contracted them for games, as that would probably be much more telling.

wazoo

Busaiku said:
It's not like DS will die out in the West.
Maybe DSi XL won't do as well, but the entire line itself will continue to do very well.
After all, the GBA did manage to last much longer in the US than any other region, doing well into 2007.

3DS, the next 3rd pillar ??

Baki

Nirolak said:
That's true, but 8ing and Dimps are only a third the size of TOSE combined, so I would say they're definitely still one of the largest.

Of course, the most interesting question is which of their partners contracted them for games, as that would probably be much more telling.

Has TOSE ever tried making their own games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Baki said:
Has TOSE ever tried making their own games?

Starfy is the only IP they've worked on that they own.

They were working on an original IP for Nintendo called Wander Donkey which appears to have been cancelled.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
bmf said:
Joystiq has a pic up from Pokemon Black/White. Is it just me, or does it look like they're made for some 3D effects?
I have the same impression, specially with the battle scene.

I'm guessing Generation V will be like Generation II. GS were Color-enhanced, and Crystal was Color-only.

Which means... Region-locked Pokémon? :(

The 3DS being region locked isn't confirmed. I'm just kidding. Or I wish I was.

bmf said:
Joystiq has a pic up from Pokemon Black/White. Is it just me, or does it look like they're made for some 3D effects?

I think it signals that the generation 6 pokemon game would be 3D enabled with the way it is. The poke-models arent really full 3D models like in Pokemon Battle Revolution.

Though I wonder if the 3Ds could convert 2D games to 3D?

Games that are just 3DS enhanced seems really unlikely to me. If the "GameCube level" rumors are at all true, this isn't just a half-assed upgrade like GBC was to GB, or DSi was to DS, that would make games compatible across both easy.

Thinking on how it could still be done, though, maybe they'd have to do it through a sort of virtual platform? That is, have specs and standards for a true half-assed 3D upgrade to the original DS, which 3DS can then be backward compatible with. It's just... the half-assed 3D original DS never exists on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom