• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekaijuu no MeiQ 3 Thread of Dear Lord, Save Us From our FOEs (Etrian Odyssey 3!)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Below follows a conversation between a simple man, and his God.

dl.gif

Dear Lord and saviour oh so gracious. How are you today? I'm good. I'm good. We, your faithful servants have been good. But may I ask one thing of you Lord? If I may be so bold, you in your graciousness have seen it fit as of late to bestow upon us the thirteenth of thy Final Fantasy games. And, oh good Lord, it was good. But some of the people, my Lord, they do ask, they do ponder what had happened to the good dungeons of your workings.

What is that, my Lord? You have an answer?

*insert jyan jigga jyan music here*

x28ink.jpg

Yes, my child. And while my good hand has not had its graceful touch upon this product, you should still find it to please you.

Etrian_Odyssey_III.jpg

Sekaijuu Meikyuu 3: Hoshiumi no Raihousha, which roughly translates to "Oh dear god: We're doing this again" is the third in series you know and love for making you wonder if 100 times through the first floor is really enough before proceeding onto the second.

dl.gif

Oh, thank you, good Lord. And, may I be so bold as to ask the date of release of such a game?

x28ink.jpg

Not at all, my child.

Nintendo DS (Japan) - 4/1/2010
Nintendo DS (Not-Japan) - Unknown to me.
Playstation 3 - Never

dl.gif

And Lord, what of the story?

x28ink.jpg

Go through dungeons again and again, make maps, destroy foul beast that roam in glowing orange balls. And do it well.

dl.gif

Thank you, my Lord. And what says the Holy Parchments?

x28ink.jpg

So sayeth Famitsu, taker of my yennies: "9/9/8/9"
So sayeth Penis Lords Weekly, knower of all: "Buy this game, heathens. / 10"

dl.gif

Thank you, Lord, thank you. And again to be so daringly bold, the word of the good people of the land?

x28ink.jpg

Of course. Of course, my child. Hereinnith follows the GAF Quotes.

Kandrick said:
Really ? :lol

Lack of ASS.

Zeliard said:
OH MY GOD THEY THINK SUPER MARIO BROS WII IS BETTER THAN FINAL FANTASY XIII OH GOD.

Rez said:
I blame Microsoft

batbeg said:
Dragona has hinted at it a couple of times, and she tends to be right on the money with her hints.

Fersis said:
We need GT5 info naaaao!!!

And of course any SNKP related news. (Of course)
slaughterking said:
Fighting big sea monsters will be awesome.

Hesemonni said:
Game of the Forever in the making.

NaughtyCalibur said:
Will FOE's be giving you EXP again? That's what turned me away from even giving EO2 a chance. I never did beat EO1, but I did get pretty far in. I enjoyed it a lot, surprisingly. I may get back to it one of these days.

Hex said:
Still working on II, can not wait!

jaundicejuice said:
I totally pussed out in the post-game content for both Etrian Odyssey I and II but I did at least complete the main campaigns for both games. RevnantKioku's thread for EOII kind of spurred me on to beat the first game.

dl.gif

Thank you, Lord, thank you oh so much. Now, may we have some pictures and maybe a little bit of stuff stolen from Wikipedia saying what is new in the game?

x28ink.jpg

You're losing it, aren't you rk?

dl.gif

Only a little. Make haste with the copy/paste, eh sir?

x28ink.jpg

Right, right.

neo2046 said:

Official Site

New classes!

Warrior - Strong in battle yet weak in battle! (attack/defense)
Zodiac - Power from the stars!
Beastking - Control monsters!
Farmer - Navigate the sea with your friendly Farmer! (What?)

And the newest thing?

It takes place at SEA, MOTHERFUCKER! SEA!

So who hasn't even finished EO1 and yet is going to pick this up?

I can't actually find any concept art, so please, help a Caucasian out.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The sad thing is that I can't even afford it right now. ;(

i haven't played any of these games before. are they like my japanese animes?

ask kawazu if I can just run forward and press X to unleash my limit buster shift of the glory of god's rear end on each rat i see.

RevenantKioku

EmCeeGramr said:

ask kawazu if I can just run forward and press X to unleash my limit buster shift of the glory of god's rear end on each rat i see.

x28ink.jpg

God dammit, Bobby.

do I have to control my party members for those "battle" thingies between the cutscenes? i don't like controlling things.

RevenantKioku

EmCeeGramr said:
do I have to control my party members for those "battle" thingies between the cutscenes? i don't like controlling things.
THIS MAN IS A TROLL AND HE SEEKS TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD ABOUT THE THINGS YOU LOVE! RUN PEOPLE, BEFORE YOU CRY.

RevenantKioku

As well it fucking should. If you don't think you won't not have too many negatives in your sentences after attempting to play this game, you won't be prepared for the soul crunching, yet exhilarating gameplay.

d+pad

I do believe this is the most entertaining OP I've read in quite a while. Good job :D

Oh, and mark me down for one copy -- as soon as this sucker is released in the States, I mean.

RevenantKioku

The idea for it came to me while I was naked!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dragona Akehi said:
English release can't come soon enough.
Well, this is generally the right time of year for Atlus handheld releases, so unless they intend to wait until next year, it should at least be out before the end of Summer.

Kishgal

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
English release can't come soon enough.
I'm fine with waiting, at least until I finish Strange Journey. (If anybody in this thread hasn't played/isn't playing SJ, you're dead to me.)
Then I'll be like "what is taking so long god."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm looking forward to the Shepherd class.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
RevenantKioku said:

Wait, wait. Farmer? I thought the class was a Shepherd and got all excited at the prospect of a solo Shepherd playthrough.

Interest waning, game is dead to me, Christmas cancelled.

RevenantKioku

Kishgal said:
I'm fine with waiting, at least until I finish Strange Journey. (If anybody in this thread hasn't played/isn't playing SJ, you're dead to me.)
I haven't. You got a problem with that?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kishgal said:

I own it already (not part of the problem, I swear!) but playing will have to wait until I finish off Glory of Heracles, Infinite Space, and possibly Sands of Destruction (which I find myself more and more keen on playing now that I'm getting close to the end of GoH!)

cress2000

I've beaten 1, 2 and am working on Strange Journey. Bring it on.
And 7th Dragon, too, goddammit.
Also, can't wait for the OST.

RevenantKioku

Kishgal said:
Aren't you still playing SaGa 2?
I trust you'll get to SJ eventually.
I am.
And it's all about money, really.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bought the original EO to fill the void from a lack of good Wizardry or SMT 1st person dungeoneering.

Now I'm playing SJ, the next best thing to a proper SMT game as a warm up for this title.

I can wait. I think. Last summer was pretty brutal being EO free.

Bebpo

Banned
Passing on this because of Strange Journey. I know they're fairly different games. But they also have a lot of similarities and SJ has just spoiled me too much on DS dungeon crawling. Can't go back to EO again.

Waiting for an English version is even harder when you have to look at the Japanese version every time you go to the shop, but I pulled through with EOII and I can do it here again.

Tain

*sigh* I will never beat this game, but I will buy it anyway.

That shouldn't really stop anybody! Games I'm not sure if I can beat (due to skill reasons, not shit-game reasons) are the best.

So is there any consensus on which is easier between EO and EO2?

Tain said:
That shouldn't really stop anybody! Games I'm not sure if I can beat (due to skill reasons, not shit-game reasons) are the best.

So is there any consensus on which is easier between EO and EO2?
I'm not sure about the consensus, but I found EOII to generally be the easier game. There's a combination of abilities that let you easily stomp through the main game of EO, though. I think they're both challenging without truly being "hard", except for the post-game stuff, which is brutally difficult and time-consuming due to needing specific party builds to have a decent shot at winning.

Can't fucking wait. I'm playing SJ now and it's fantastic, but EO3 is what I'm really looking forward to. I prefer my mapping done by hand, and building a party rather than collecting pokemon.

<---- Ready, even before the Japanese release!

ScrabbleDude said:
Can't fucking wait. I'm playing SJ now and it's fantastic, but EO3 is what I'm really looking forward to. I prefer my mapping done by hand, and building a party rather than collecting pokemon.

Megaten came first. *stink eye*

Halycon said:
I'm looking forward to the Shepherd class.

Amen, brother.

cress2000 said:
I've beaten 1, 2 and am working on Strange Journey.
Bring it on. And 7th Dragon, too, goddammit.
Also, can't wait for the OST.

A-FUCKING-men, brother.

emceegramr said:

:lol

"will the dungeons have a nerf-over-time feature? i just wanna know if i can farm it endlessly for loot. kalgan said i could"

lyre

Pity bump:

MANTY SHOTS!

Some Princely manty shots.
90c16r.jpg

2afzzo4.jpg

jgkr5u.jpg

Now that's a nice monkey ...

Also, some useless info, new characters shown at the last minute, with another manty shot!
beej38.jpg

24mxon8.jpg

2db80n6.jpg

I've wanted to dip into this series but the prices for a new version of EO and EOII are kinda putting me off. Is there some recommended way to go about procuring one of these delights without paying an arm and a leg? Also if I do choose to try to get a copy should I start with EO or EOII?

TheFightingFish said:
I've wanted to dip into this series but the prices for a new version of EO and EOII are kinda putting me off. Is there some recommended way to go about procuring one of these delights without paying an arm and a leg? Also if I do choose to try to get a copy should I start with EO or EOII?
If you're planning to play both, start with EO. There are interface tweaks in EOII that can make EO hard to go back to in some ways. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter which one you play. They both have some particular strengths and weaknesses but I think quality-wise there is not much of a gap.

No story connection in any meaningful way, either, so don't worry about that.

TheFightingFish said:
I've wanted to dip into this series but the prices for a new version of EO and EOII are kinda putting me off. Is there some recommended way to go about procuring one of these delights without paying an arm and a leg?

Just... buy them used? They're both readily available for ~$25 on Half.com and not too difficult to find for $10-20 at Gamestop (which will allow you to check your nearby stores for availability on the website, even.)

There's a pirate and a ninja on that boxart. A pirate and a ninja. The only thing that could make that more awesome would be having a bear high five-ing a shark somewhere in the background, with a mushroom cloud behind them. That might rupture the space time continuum with its awesomenicity though.

Given how much I enjoyed the first two EO's I'm almost tempted to import this iteration, I've just never had much luck with importing rpgs. Never made much headway through 7th Dragon or the Japanese iteration of DQM Joker.

RevenantKioku said:
New classes!

Warrior - Strong in battle yet weak in battle! (attack/defense)
Zodiac - Power from the stars!
Beastking - Control monsters!

Wait, what about the other classes in the youtube vid? Phalanx, Pirate, Monk, Shinobi, Prince(ss), and Ballista? Shinobi could be Ronin, Phalanx could be Protector, and Ballista could be Gunner, but that still leaves the Pirate, Monk, and Prince(ss) unnaccounted for.

Top Bottom