• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekaijuu no MeiQ 3 Thread of Dear Lord, Save Us From our FOEs (Etrian Odyssey 3!)

lyre

It's possibly, sure, but I think solo parties are only limited to only Protectors and nothing else.

Either way, my point is, EO2 is a far easier game because EO1 more or less require a combination of Immunize plus either Defender or Shelter ... well, for the casual EO player, they'll need two buffs. Most who know what they're doing can make due with just Immunize.

rk said:
I dunno if I want to do a challenge run for a game I've never beaten. :O
Well, what are you waiting for? Go beat one of the two right now!:lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EO II has an easier post game in general once you figure out how to cheese your focus attack or whatever it was.

EO I you pretty much need to figure out the pattern or a damn good way of resetting the pattern on the uber boss.

Both have easy enough to complete main campaigns.

lyre

Almost no one beat the post game of either EO games on their own time and effort; you really think anyone will try on an "rk random 5 rookies rumble"? :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
lyre said:
It's possibly, sure, but I think solo parties are only limited to only Protectors and nothing else.

Either way, my point is, EO2 is a far easier game because EO1 more or less require a combination of Immunize plus either Defender or Shelter ... well, for the casual EO player, they'll need two buffs. Most who know what they're doing can make due with just Immunize.

Well, what are you waiting for? Go beat one of the two right now!:lol
After SaGa 2! I just restarted that because of the damn Monster sucking ass.

It was hard for me to get into this series. I wanted to love it though, if it had a better narrative.

SMT Strange Journey has a nice balance of story and EO gameplay, which is what intrigued me.

Maybe EO 3 will be good. I just don't like it when sequels come out especially when I just bought EO 2 not to long ago.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
It was hard for me to get into this series. I wanted to love it though, if it had a better narrative.

SMT Strange Journey has a nice balance of story and EO gameplay, which is what intrigued me.

Maybe EO 3 will be good. I just don't like it when sequels come out especially when I just bought EO 2 not to long ago.
There is like, no EO gameplay in Strange Journey. Sure, they both take place in first person dungeons, but that's a pretty superficial similarity.

Also, this has hardly been a fast sequel. EO2 came out in Japan over two years ago. Heck, it's been almost two years since the US release.

Anyway, if what makes you dislike EO is the lack of story, this one isn't any different. You probably shouldn't even keep it on your radar screen.

ReyBrujo

lyre said:
That was if you actually knew about those skills, I did beat the game without defensive skills, hard as hell (and stopped shortly at beating level 30). I started reading online stuff about it after beating it, and there I discovered immunize was totally unbalanced.

I think 2 is easier because you can retire characters and get them back at level 30 instead of level 1 like in the first game, I think I got some capped at level 82 or so now before I got bored of spending half the bus riding on the hotel making days pass to have the bosses reset.

lyre

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
But EO games have the best narrative of all! The non-existent one! :lol

You do know SJ gameplay is based off of classic SMT gameplay which is based off of Megami Tensei gameplay which apes off of Wizardry right (and EO's existence is to purposely ape off of that series)?

ReyBrujo said:
That was if you actually knew about those skills, I did beat the game without defensive skills, hard as hell (and stopped shortly at beating level 30). I started reading online stuff about it after beating it, and there I discovered immunize was totally unbalanced.
Then more power to you, tho one of the fun aspects of the game, IMO, if toying around with skills among parties.

And I cannot imagine how you're able to do that without grinding your ass off for levels and cash and abusing items and gear.

Either way, did anyone here know EO3 has a subclass system and the official site has demonstrations? I know I did. :p

Takuhi

Played this for about six hours over the weekend and it's... An Etrian Odyssey game. With all the ship exploration stuff I was hoping for something a little bolder, but it feels just like EO1 and 2 with a little mini-game tacked on.

Some of the new classes are cool. The Prince/Princess is very interesting, and I like the Monk, Shinobi and Beastmaster as well. Most of the other "new" classes are just slight variations of existing ones, though. I do like the way they distributed healing and elemental-type abilities to many different classes so there's no feeling that you have to play a Medic and Alchemist like in the previous games. I also like how lots of characters use the empty party-member slot: The Beastmaster can summon beasts to fill it, the Shinobi can fill it with its shadow doubles, and the Phalanx can use it to go back and forth between rows to build up momentum for certain attacks.

The new Limit Skill system is cool too, where you earn Limit Skills in the game and can equip them to whichever characters you want. And Limit Bar energy is no longer lost when you leave the dungeon. But if you rotate your party a lot like I do you have to reequip the Limit Attacks every time, which is kind of annoying.

It's fun, but definitely feels like another cookie-cutter sequel as opposed to the evolution I was hoping for.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I need this in my DS like, yesterday.

Started a new game of EO2 though I never finished my last file.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Takuhi said:
Played this for about six hours over the weekend and it's... An Etrian Odyssey game. With all the ship exploration stuff I was hoping for something a little bolder, but it feels just like EO1 and 2 with a little mini-game tacked on.

Some of the new classes are cool. The Prince/Princess is very interesting, and I like the Monk, Shinobi and Beastmaster as well. Most of the other "new" classes are just slight variations of existing ones, though. I do like the way they distributed healing and elemental-type abilities to many different classes so there's no feeling that you have to play a Medic and Alchemist like in the previous games. I also like how lots of characters use the empty party-member slot: The Beastmaster can summon beasts to fill it, the Shinobi can fill it with its shadow doubles, and the Phalanx can use it to go back and forth between rows to build up momentum for certain attacks.

The new Limit Skill system is cool too, where you earn Limit Skills in the game and can equip them to whichever characters you want. And Limit Bar energy is no longer lost when you leave the dungeon. But if you rotate your party a lot like I do you have to reequip the Limit Attacks every time, which is kind of annoying.

It's fun, but definitely feels like another cookie-cutter sequel as opposed to the evolution I was hoping for.

They actually distributed the elements in the last title as you had three primary elemental damage dealers in Alchemist,Ronin,and Gunner.

Cookie cutter sounds good. My new goal is to recruit more local friends to multi play with me. One of my buddies got most of the way through II and all of the way through 1, so there is hope with him.

Totakeke

I tried to play EO2 two or three times now and I quit each time at around 12F because I couldn't stand playing the game anymore. Something with the game just doesn't click with me like EO1 did. I think one of the reasons is because there's just too many warp points (one on each third level that didn't exist on EO1) that lowered the tension and made the game too repetitive. So rather than going 1-5F in one exploration which could really be miserable, but very rewarding, the game is divided into 1-3F, 3-5F segments which are so boring. At least that's what I remember.

jaundicejuice said:
Beat ya to posting that, albeit from Anoop's other site.

Man, this thread is dying faster than usual.
Everyone is waiting for the English version, certainly. And rk is too broke-ass to afford it, so that's one main voice from the last import EO thread silenced.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What's stopping them from porting 7th Dragon to the DS? (And then localizing it so I don't have to buy a PSP and learn Japanese)

Halycon said:
What's stopping them from porting 7th Dragon to the DS? (And then localizing it so I don't have to buy a PSP and learn Japanese)

Uhh, 7th Dragon is a DS game.

pa.149267.1.jpg

It merely needs to be localised. As for what's stopping "them"? The idle speculation is that because it's taking so damned long Sega is localising the game for North American release.

jaundicejuice said:
Uhh, 7th Dragon is a DS game.

pa.149267.1.jpg

It merely needs to be localised. As for what's stopping "them"? The idle speculation is that because it's taking so damned long Sega is localising the game for North American release.

I don't know who's idly speculating with you, but when I idly speculate on this topic, it's about Sega having talks with Atlus to localize this and Shining Force: Feather and having those fall through.

All I can do is sincerely hope that you are wrong and that I am right. It would be a crime if 7th Dragon was left unlocalised while we get drek like Sands of Destruction. I'll give it a few more months to see if I'll be investing in a kanji dictionary so I can start working my way through my imported copy.

mutsu

In an attempt to rescue the thread and giving it something fresh rather than talking about 7th Dragon, here's my "diary" of my adventure.

Just started the game 2 days ago (the game shipped on 1st April from Play-Asia, arrived on 13th April... and I am in Hong Kong where Play-Asia is located. Great job).

Started with the following classes:
- Prince
- Sinobi
- Monk
- Zodiac
- Phalanx

The game starts just like EO2 (sorry didn't play EO1), you start with a mission where you have to draw the map for parts of the first floor, etc etc. After that mission you get to go set sail to the open sea, but I have yet to figure out how to play that part yet.

For class skills, they have now separated the skills into two sets - Class skills and Common skills. Common skills are like HP/TP boost, the skills for digging/harvesting, etc. Class skills are obviously where all the skills related to your class are.

Since the game allows you to change class and migrate the skills from your old class to your new class, there are skills that are labelled so that it says it is specific to that class. They are usually skills that boosts your class's speciality (e.g. Monk's is a skill to boost HP healing power, Phalanx's is a skill to boost defence, etc).

I am still on the first floor so I am pretty early in. Figuring out all the new skills for each class and how the skills tree look like is taking a majority of my time at the moment. I guess I can redistribute skills later, but I want to get it right (at least to a certain degree) from the get go.

The first floor is what you would expect from a EO game. When you are level 1 and you are not careful, you'll have party members die on you. After a few level ups then you will be more comfortable. Also after a few level ups you will also find that continuing to level up with the same enemies will be exponentially difficult, just like any other EO game.

Drawing of maps work pretty much the same way as they did before. A new tool is the auto-navigate function, which I have set to try. Now that I have walked through the entire first floor that should be the next thing I will try.

So... that's all I have right now. If you want to know any specifics let me know. I will try to answer them.

Hmm...how's the Enemy/Equipment/Item variety this time around....lots of already seen stuff or moreso new things to work into the mix? Side quests still floor based or something different this time?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Segata Sanshiro said:
Everyone is waiting for the English version, certainly. And rk is too broke-ass to afford it, so that's one main voice from the last import EO thread silenced.
If GAF can raise $1000 (or was it more?) for now defunct podcasts, you'd think they'd be able to pitch together to get me some games. I mean, fuck, I'm so awesome.

Edit: Nice to see someone got the game.

d+pad

charlequin said:
I don't know who's idly speculating with you, but when I idly speculate on this topic, it's about Sega having talks with Atlus to localize this and Shining Force: Feather and having those fall through.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but you're not saying 7th Dragon is no longer being prepped for release in NA, are you?!? :(

d+pad said:
Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but you're not saying 7th Dragon is no longer being prepped for release in NA, are you?!? :(

I did say I was idly speculating. :lol

But if you asked my, ahem, "professional" opinion on the matter right now, I certainly wouldn't put dollars to donuts that 7D will come out over here. We know that Sega never had any interest in bringing it over, and it seems fairly straightforward that Atlus would have been interested in both 7D (for its similarity to EO) and SF:F (for its similarity to, uh, the other Shining Force spinoffs Atlus published in the past) so if they fail to see US release I have to assume that Atlus tried, but in some fashion did not succeed in, licensing them.

mutsu

I am now on the 2nd floor in the dungeon. I have been able to try out the auto-navigate function, and boy is it useful. I haven't found any warping points yet (I suspect that's on 3rd floor, if it follows the same formula as EO2), so obviously I need to walk to the 2nd floor through the 1st floor. With the auto-navigate function I need to do exactly nothing more than pressing the "Play" button, and it will automatically walk my party to the second level. You have to draw the path out yourself, but you only have to do it once. Once you reach the stairs that goes up to the 2nd floor, it even automatically presses A for you! Pretty handy. The only thing I wished for is the ability to automatically reverse the path for me so that if I ever need to walk back to town it will automatically do that for me as well. Right now I need to walk back manually.

On the 2nd floor are the first sight of F.O.Es, the stupid kind that just follows a path and doesn't chase you around. But I have encountered these mud terrains where it takes 2 steps to walk through, and combining these on the path of F.O.Es, things get a bit tricky. This means if you want to walk through 1 square of these mud terrains, F.O.Es will get to walk 2 squares. This means it will require some thinking before you walk through these paths. A nice little addition I think.

2nd floor is already quite tough. I am seriously in need of money, and my Sinobi is constantly dying when encountering this enemy which does ridiculous amount of damage, even under the protection of my Phalanx... I guess I am about 60% done on 2nd floor, but it's tough. Which is why this game is fun though :D

ElectricThunder said:
Hmm...how's the Enemy/Equipment/Item variety this time around....lots of already seen stuff or moreso new things to work into the mix? Side quests still floor based or something different this time?

In terms of Enemy, much of what I have seen so far seems to be new. Sorry generally I don't have good memory on games that I've played a few years back, but I am pretty sure most of the enemies are new.

In terms of items it is pretty much exactly the same up until this point. The usual heal HP, TP, back to town, revive stuff is all I have seen so far. There is one new item called the "Tent", and it is a new item. To use the Tent you will have to find a specific spot in the dungeon that is designated to be a camping spot, and once there if you press A you can use the Tent item to heal your party's HP and TP to full. Not sure if it revives anybody but I doubt it.

In terms of equipment it is similar if not the same so far. There is a new bit to equipments and that is some items have some "attributes" on them. For example there's this item I've got which has the paralyse attribute on it, meaning if I equip it my character will be paralysed. So far I haven't found anything good yet, but I am sure that will come. There is also this new element in the game which allows you to do some forging. Forging allows you to give special attributes to weapons. Again I am still too early in so I haven't tried it yet so I will give you more details later.

colinp

Banned
charlequin said:
I did say I was idly speculating. :lol

But if you asked my, ahem, "professional" opinion on the matter right now, I certainly wouldn't put dollars to donuts that 7D will come out over here. We know that Sega never had any interest in bringing it over, and it seems fairly straightforward that Atlus would have been interested in both 7D (for its similarity to EO) and SF:F (for its similarity to, uh, the other Shining Force spinoffs Atlus published in the past) so if they fail to see US release I have to assume that Atlus tried, but in some fashion did not succeed in, licensing them.

Damn it. =(

mutsu

One thing I forgot to mention in my last update - completing a mission will now gain you not only the reward for that mission, but you will also gain some Experience Points. So far each mission I have completed gives you 1000 points of experience, not sure if that would change as you advance through the game.

mutsu

Now at B4F. Just
saw the first boss, but my party was dying and although I had items to recover HP/TP, I was scared to hell to face it anyway

My party is at level 13, and the skills tree is starting to take shape. My Monk can now resurrect which is really nice, and everyone else has their uses. Sinobi is the class that is giving me so much pain at the moment though because of its low HP and low defense. The only thing it relies on to survive is to evade and cast a skill to split itself or produce a replicate of yourself, but if you do get hit then you will be KOed in one hit most of the time. Plus the fact that he is not terribly strong in attack either so I am still to figure out how to best utilize him...

There are some changes in EO3 in that
each section is now only 4 floors, so that's why I encountered the boss at B4F. No teleport in between either, so you will have to walk all the way from B1F to B4F and then fight the boss. Luckily there are camping points so you can use the tent to recover from HP/TP before you fight.

Top Bottom