• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekaijuu no MeiQ 3 Thread of Dear Lord, Save Us From our FOEs (Etrian Odyssey 3!)

I really want to buy this but at the same time, I purchased the first two, played the hell out of 'em and subsequently, never beat them. I imagine I'd do more of the same with the third one.

On a side note, 7th Dragon is never being released outside of Japan, is it?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Segata Sanshiro said:
this is going to be a really weird thread, isn't it?
You expected what exactly?
Journeywalker said:
Wait, what about the other classes in the youtube vid? Phalanx, Pirate, Monk, Shinobi, Prince(ss), and Ballista? Shinobi could be Ronin, Phalanx could be Protector, and Ballista could be Gunner, but that still leaves the Pirate, Monk, and Prince(ss) unnaccounted for.
I was commissioned from above to do this thread. Really, I don't know anything about this game other than I cannot afford it right now. Thereby, I keep myself sane by ignoring media and playing shit like The Guardian Legend. Which is rocking my balls at the moment. But the little I have read about EO3 makes it sound sooo goood. Were I not in the middle of SaGa2 I might consider working may way through EO1/2 and then hoping 3 babambas and I can pick it up cheap.

faridmon

The best game that won't come to Europe, and i still refuse to import.

I'll just play the first EO game that was published eher by Nintendo themself in the meantime.
carry one guys.

ksamedi

faridmon said:

I'll just play the first EO game that was published eher by Nintendo themself in the meantime.
carry one guys.

Why would you refuse to import?

Aad

faridmon said:

carry one guys.
The first game is badass! Importing the second and third games isn't too difficult. You should try it.

Aad

Journeywalker said:
Wait, what about the other classes in the youtube vid? Phalanx, Pirate, Monk, Shinobi, Prince(ss), and Ballista? Shinobi could be Ronin, Phalanx could be Protector, and Ballista could be Gunner, but that still leaves the Pirate, Monk, and Prince(ss) unnaccounted for.
Maybe they're unlockable classes.

Journeywalker said:

They're all different classes.

duckroll

EO3 uses brand new classes. It does not use any of the old classes, and you should not be comparing the new ones as simply different "versions" of older classes. The idea is for the game to feel brand new and for new skill sets, gameplay styles and synergy experimentation.

I love rk's OP and all but if someone who's been following the JP news could put together a thread with the list of classes and descriptions of how each one works that'd be awesome. :p

lyre

charlequin said:
I love rk's OP and all but if someone who's been following the JP news could put together a thread with the list of classes and descriptions of how each one works that'd be awesome. :p
Lucky for you, someone already did so no one here will else will have to. For general information:

Part 1: http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1232889_1124.html
Part 2: http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1232943_1124.html

For more a in-depth and personal experience and hot hot panel on panel skill tree action, click on this advertisement banner:

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
another rk thread in which he plays a game and never finishes it.

lyre

Well, that's the reason why he, just like every other gaffer here, didn't buy or import it. Even rk can't be fooled a third time.

TheChaos

Tain said:
That shouldn't really stop anybody! Games I'm not sure if I can beat (due to skill reasons, not shit-game reasons) are the best.

So is there any consensus on which is easier between EO and EO2?

EO1 is MUCH easier because of a few key skills (and the ability to whore out item farming). The second one does not have them.

On a side note, 7th Dragon is never being released outside of Japan, is it?

Like a dagger through my heart. =(

Boogiepop

God I want this.
Oh, and as I who thoroughly enjoyed playing EOII (and got to the true final boss, but haven't quite gotten to the point where my team can beat it yet. Plan to due that as soon as I get the time though, darn college) would you guys recommend going back and grabbing EOI, or would it feel waaaay too off to bother with?

TheChaos

Mank said:
God I want this.
Oh, and as I who thoroughly enjoyed playing EOII (and got to the true final boss, but haven't quite gotten to the point where my team can beat it yet. Plan to due that as soon as I get the time though, darn college) would you guys recommend going back and grabbing EOI, or would it feel waaaay too off to bother with?

No. The first and second games are very similar to one another (too similar IMO), except for a few tweaks and added classes. If you've play the second, you've pretty much played the first too.

I think Sega is bringing over 7th Dragon simply because they're slow as shit at localising games, and if Sega was not bringing 7th Dragon over to North America they wouldn't have cock blocked another publisher from picking it up for release like Nintendo or Bamco. 7th Dragon is the perfect kind kind of game for niche publishers like Atlus, Xseed or *shudder* Ignition, if it was up for grabs we likely would have had some news by now. We also have Dragona's promise of "soon", but that's months old ;P.

If you're despairing about never playing 7th Dragon you can import the game from your online retailer of choice and use this wiki to muddle your way through. It has been updated periodically and has pretty decent break downs of the missions, quests and skill sets of each job class.

/7th Dragon tangent.

jaundicejuice said:
I think Sega is bringing over 7th Dragon simply because they're slow as shit at localising games, and if Sega was not bringing 7th Dragon over to North America they wouldn't have cock blocked another publisher from picking it up for release like Nintendo or Bamco. 7th Dragon is the perfect kind kind of game for niche publishers like Atlus, Xseed or *shudder* Ignition, if it was up for grabs we likely would have had some news by now. We also have Dragona's promise of "soon", but that's months old ;P.

If you're despairing about never playing 7th Dragon you can import the game from your online retailer of choice and use this wiki to muddle your way through. It has been updated periodically and has pretty decent break downs of the missions, quests and skill sets of each job class.

/7th Dragon tangent.

The thing that worries me about this is how they'd be bringing it out between or after its cousin games SMT:SJ and EO3. BUT I HAVE FAITH.

SatelliteOfLove said:
The thing that worries me about this is how they'd be bringing it out between or after its cousin games SMT:SJ and EO3. BUT I HAVE FAITH.

Oh, I expect the standard Sega shenanigans, no advertising and a horrible release day that coincides with the release of Etrian Odyssey 3 or, worse, something epic like a new Pokemon. Possibly coupled with a limited print run.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Error said:
another rk thread in which he plays a game and never finishes it.
This is incorrect. I actually will probably never play this game.

faridmon

Aad said:
The first game is badass! Importing the second and third games isn't too difficult. You should try it.
a policy that makes my games readily beatable and controls my budget within limits.
if i import any game i want, i wouldn't even afford the games that was released here in EU land.

Hesemonni

Banned
While waiting for EO3 to reach western shores I guess this is the perfect place to ask: where the hell is English release of the 7th Dragon?

RevenantKioku

Red Scarlet said:
You should start up another FF5 job lottery thingy again. That was a lot of fun.
I was actually looking at my collection yesterday for some inspiration for another thing like that. Don't want to do the same thing but something would be fun.

Ricker

Umm,I got the first 2,didn`t even start 2 because I`m caught in the grinding hell parts of 1,on the way to a Boss I can`t beat,I don`t even come close in beating him and the ennemies on the way are a very slow grind for exp,so I kinda gave up on it...maybe I should forget 1 and start 2 and hopefully finish it at one point and look forward to 3...

Is 2 `easier` then 1?

7Th

Is that guy in the OP supposed to be Niinou? Wasn't he not involved with the EO franchise anymore?

7Th said:
Is that guy in the OP supposed to be Niinou? Wasn't he not involved with the EO franchise anymore?
HOW DARE YOU

You apologize to God now!

Confusing him for that hack... the shame. As penance you are going to have to punch yourself in the testicles for a few hours. But don't worry, doing so will make your dong grow! Such is the way of our Lord.

7Th

Segata Sanshiro said:
HOW DARE YOU

You apologize to God now!

Confusing him for that hack... the shame. As penance you are going to have to punch yourself in the testicles for a few hours. But don't worry, doing so will make your dong grow! Such is the way of our Lord.

I don't recognize game developers that aren't edited into funny images like Miyamoto or Kojima. ;_;

I tried to tell myself that I wouldn't buy a third installment. However it is difficult to resist when they have changed the classes and brought interesting new elements. I did enjoy a lot EO2 (was my first), but it felt very plain and forgettable at times that if I sequel came out it had to be a big improvement and it seems like this is. Looking forward the inevitable atlus US release. Wish I could understand japanese.

Jokey665

I want this game sooooo bad. I've done everything in EO1 except get the rare drops from two of the dragons, even though I've fought them dozens of times with obscene amounts of luck and 3 people with max scavenge. I got to floor 27 in EO2 before stopping, didn't really have the drive to finish the "extra" stratum.

Takuhi

It does indeed! From the silhouettes in the manual, it looks like one of them is a Samurai variant, and the other looks like some sort of cyborg...?!

RevenantKioku said:
4 Warriors of Light! Another I have to pick up someday! I should make a list or something.
4WoL is getting bargain-binned these days, rk. You should try to get it soon while it's around 2000 yen.

RevenantKioku said:
I was actually looking at my collection yesterday for some inspiration for another thing like that. Don't want to do the same thing but something would be fun.
Could be good with a 5 man random selection for EO1. No additional guild members allowed. Can retire into the same class. Or FF1, FFT, or DQ3.

I'd love to be able to participate in one of these on a group level.

RevenantKioku

Segata Sanshiro said:
4WoL is getting bargain-binned these days, rk. You should try to get it soon while it's around 2000 yen.
Ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.... I'll check with the boss.
ScrabbleDude said:
Could be good with a 5 man random selection for EO1. No additional guild members allowed. Can retire into the same class. Or FF1, FFT, or DQ3.

I'd love to be able to participate in one of these on a group level.
Heh, one of these games I was actually thinking about!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Not trolling, but I've never played an EO game because I actually AM afraid of them.

If I ever jump in, play the original or 2? I heard 2 is actually worse.

lyre

Man God said:
So I hear this game has TWO hidden classes ala EO1.

Takuhi said:
It does indeed! From the silhouettes in the manual, it looks like one of them is a Samurai variant, and the other looks like some sort of cyborg...?!

And yet a certain someone I know complains about always being ignored.

CLICK!

ScrabbleDude said:
Could be good with a 5 man random selection for EO1. No additional guild members allowed. Can retire into the same class.
Not really feasible due to a really limited job system (only nine characters, seven in the beginning). There'll be a lot of overlap (between two random players) unless it's possible to randomise a person's party to include more than one of the same character type within the same party.

Or FF1, FFT, or DQ3.
Scarlet beat the first with just a single Thief; that's not very difficult, nor fun, wouldn't it?
And take away the job system of Tactics, you're just left with a crummy and slow as molasses battle system.
DQ3 isn't bad so as long as one of the rules could be your hero has to remain dead the entire time. :p

ICallItFutile said:
Not trolling, but I've never played an EO game because I actually AM afraid of them.

If I ever jump in, play the original or 2? I heard 2 is actually worse.
Either is fine. EO2 has some interface tweaks to make it friendlier to play, but they're not really all that different in terms of the broad strokes.

Don't be afraid of them. They aren't really hard, they just take some persistence and planning ahead. Well, for the first five strata anyway.

lyre said:
Scarlet beat the first with just a single Thief; that's not very difficult, nor fun, wouldn't it?
DoS? NES FF1 is almost impossible to get past Astos without cheating or spending a thousand hours grinding. But yeah, I had the same concern. It really is an easy game with any party other than solo thief.
lyre said:
And take away the job system of Tactics, you're just left with a crummy and slow as molasses battle system.
I think there would still be some fun to be had here. You lose the satisfaction of changing jobs -- also lost in the FF5 lottery, but you gain the challenge of completing the game in a random job party, and the fun of doing it while others are doing the same.
lyre said:
DQ3 isn't bad so as long as one of the rules could be your hero has to remain dead the entire time. :p
I've never really played DQ3. Have created a party in the SNES translation, but stopped there.

EO2 would be a better candidate than EO1, due to the larger job pool. Especially if randomization allowed for a class to be repeated. Of course there'd still be a ton of overlap.

I can't think of too many other games that would be good candidates in my collection.

lyre

ScrabbleDude said:
I think there would still be some fun to be had here. You lose the satisfaction of changing jobs -- also lost in the FF5 lottery, but you gain the challenge of completing the game in a random job party, and the fun of doing it while others are doing the same.
There is no satisfaction with FFT's job system because it's so easy to break, with almost no penalties, and doesn't take very long to unlock all the good skills of each respectable job. I stopped at the beginning of Ch3 on my regular play of FFT due to maxing out everything I wanted out of the party early and not wanting to put up with wading thru the mess of a battle system.

I've never really played DQ3. Have created a party in the SNES translation, but stopped there.
I beat this once and found it fun but lacking dept in the class system (but it is a 20 year old game). Well, I found it fun enough to beat.

EO2 would be a better candidate than EO1, due to the larger job pool. Especially if randomization allowed for a class to be repeated. Of course there'd still be a ton of overlap.

I can't think of too many other games that would be good candidates in my collection.
EO1 would be better since people randomly chosen to have a party without a Medic, Protector or Troubadour are thoroughly screwed.

With EO2, just about any party will get you to the ending. Hell, some people got to the ending with a single Dark Hunter, Ronin, Protector, War Magus or Beast.

RevenantKioku

I dunno if I want to do a challenge run for a game I've never beaten. :O

Top Bottom