• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borecast 39: A Balut Easter Egg

direct download: http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast39.mp3

SEGMENT ONE: BOOKS AND MOVIES

(2:24) Earth Strike: Star Carrier: Book One by Ian Douglas

(20:02) The Infernal City: An Elder Scrolls Novel by Greg Keyes

(29:08) Too Late for Tears (1949 Film Noir)

(37:05) Detour (1945 Film Noir)

SEGMENT TWO: GAMES

(43:40) God of War III
(1:06:00) Avencast: Rise of the Mage
(1:09:45) Rondo of Swords
(1:19:00) Infinite Space

(1:31:50) Listener Comments - More on Difficulty and FF13
(1:54:23) Contest - win 5 PC games

Talk to you next week!

PowderedToast

this cast has really grown on me recently to the point were i'm regularly checking to see if there's a new ep. you guys can be very entertaining, look forward to hearing this one.

dionysus

Yaldog
Is this a shitty April Fool's joke. My download was 20s of silence. If it is, for shame for participating in stupid absurd lie day hijinks. I hate April 1st. If it is just a technical problem, I will no longer consider yall humor-impaired troglodytes.

Edit. It appears it was a technical problem. Working now. Troglodyte status removed.

dionysus

Yaldog
Yall ever find that you eventually burn yourself out of those pulp novels? I used to devour 30+ fantasy books a year. Most of them of the pulp high fantasy variety. Then one year, I started being unable to finish the books, when before I used to read 1000 page novels in 2 days. They just all started to read the same, with the same plot twists, same themes, and same character archetypes. Even books I used to enjoy, when I reread them, disgusted me. Case in point, the Belgariad and the Mallorean. (Every character has the exact same snarky personality.)

Now I am switching to Sci-fi, but taking it alot slower so I don't burn myself out on the genre.

Edit. Totally support the trolling of Elder Scrolls.

Hahaha, consider it an accidental April Fool's joke. I forgot to clip the lead-in I give myself when I'm editing.

dionysus, I don't really read pulp fantasy or science fiction, but I've burned myself out on schlock horror fiction a few times over some of the same reasons you state.

i hope folks don't take my nitpicking gow3 too seriously as i really liked the game. it was manly and awesome. it's ultimately disposable, like uncharted 2, but as an old man with limited time and plenty of money, i'm starting to appreciate intense, overproduced, largely unreplayable experiences.

I only read a pulp scifi maybe book maybe once or twice a month, tops. It makes a good break from what I normally do in the evening (gaming) and if I burn out on scifi I just swap to nonfiction for a bit.

GeoramA

Drinky Crow said:
i hope folks don't take my nitpicking gow3 too seriously as i really liked the game. it was manly and awesome. it's ultimately disposable, like uncharted 2, but as an old man with limited time and plenty of money, i'm starting to appreciate intense, overproduced, largely unreplayable experiences.
That's okay. It's easy to nitpick the great ones :D

Sweet, hey have any of you guys on the cast played infinite Space? I kinda remember Frag mentioning it(maybe), what did you think if you did?

in silent hill no one can hear you waggle

avencast :)) cool game. clockstone released another game earlier this year or late last. urr greed black border. seemed ok

The Borecast has made me more open minded. I used to hate southern accents, but after listening to countless hours of the Borecast I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me at all anymore!

Great episode, folks.

EDIT: Frag, please pimp Section 8 on the next recording to celebrate the PSN release! You're the man who can lay it down for all and sundry.

Joseph Merrick said:
in silent hill no one can hear you waggle

avencast :)) cool game. clockstone released another game earlier this year or late last. urr greed black border. seemed ok

I found Silent Hill: Semaphore Edition a bit annoying. One game where waggle detracted from the experience.

Also losing the run down industrial look in favor of an ice box really didn't endear the game to me. :\

Kevtones

The Take Out Bandit said:
I found Silent Hill: Semaphore Edition a bit annoying. One game where waggle detracted from the experience.

Also losing the run down industrial look in favor of an ice box really didn't endear the game to me. :\

Hogwash! It did away with cult bullshit and the rusty feelbadery for the better!

Also, I heard Kevin mention LA Confidential... Are you a James Ellroy fan?

I Push Fat Kids said:
Hogwash! It did away with cult bullshit and the rusty feelbadery for the better!

Kinda. I'm enjoying the LA Quartet of novels, and plan on checking out the Lloyd Hopkins trilogy when I'm done. Dunno if I'd dig the Underworld USA stuff, I'm not big into sweeping conspiracy tales.

wRATH2x said:
And you will now never know what I did!

what did you do

Kevtones

Eel O'Brian said:
Kinda. I'm enjoying the LA Quartet of novels, and plan on checking out the Lloyd Hopkins trilogy when I'm done. Dunno if I'd dig the Underworld USA stuff, I'm not big into sweeping conspiracy tales.

His personal journey is almost as interesting as his novels... Funnily enough, I actually just did coverage on his newest script at work and it was quite good. The main character's name was Date-Rape Dave :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I Push Fat Kids said:

But feelbadery is part and parcel with SH. It is not a pleasant place.

Kevtones

HK-47 said:
But feelbadery is part and parcel with SH. It is not a pleasant place.

I think the ice fits better with the tone and SM really doesn't play like a Silent Hill game anyway. It's closest to II in story but reminds me of II/IV's personal hell concept. It's a lot better and more functional than IV was however and there's minimal tedium throughout. Also, Doug mentioned consciously involving oneself into a game to get more out of it and I think that totally applies to SM. It's a real 'experience' game that rewards the player for being honest in the profiling sections and letting oneself be immersed as much as possible (you definitely get what you put in).

I Push Fat Kids said:

But I like industrial abandonment aesthetics. D:

Anybody able to find Too Late for Tears on Netflix? I found Detour, but not Tears.

Also I'm ashamed to admit your high level RPG/SRPG discussion makes me feel even more stupid. I'm the guy that likes to grind mindlessly for maximum damage. Speaking of which SEGA is being all coy about the PSP2 release date for the US.

Slightly related, 27 hours into SRWT:EF. The robots never came, but I booted the annoying cowboy wanna-be out of the line-up and am playing animu girls gone wild grindfest. I still really wish there were more robots, and not the type with boobie lasers. Actual robots. Like Dairugger, GaoGaiGar, and Mazinger.

Alex

I really think the option to instantly skip all puzzles in action games is one of the best I've heard in years. I'm all for variety can even understand why they'd want a wind down period, but at least keep it consistent with the genre of the game.

I also outright quit around the middle of the first God of War due to them, I should really just move onto the second but I'm one of those OCD types who has to finish up before moving on, ugh.

I'm kind of interested in Infinite Space, all of the mechanics and shipbuilding sound great though I'm kind of worried the walls of jargon and fantasy tech terms these space titles use lately since I hear the game has very little logging in it.

Kevtones

The Take Out Bandit said:
But I like industrial abandonment aesthetics. D:

I do to but I think the ice world is the right complement to SM. The game really changes up the series and I think doing away with the whole cult/mythos business made it logical to change the aesthetic as well. I'd rather they weight for a next-gen OMGORSH engine to utilize the next iteration of rust.

Haw!

Yeah, conceptually the game sounded really interesting to me. Especially since it was sort of a retelling of the first game, roughly, which was my favorite entry in the series. I just have low tolerance for waggle controls so that's probably coloring my impressions.

Also thanks a ton for the plug Kevin!

At some point I'm going to overhaul the podcast site design and link to awesome podcasts and websites on the right. At some point. Lazy ass is lazy.

I need to see if I can get the other two guys to handle some of the leg work on forum posts and content. AUGH!

swoon

do ya'll normally talk about noir? detour is one of my favorite films. check out the early anothny man movie Raw Deal for a similar rough noir.

too late for tears is also called killer bait, and is in the public domain so it becomes tricky to find among all the releases. same with detour but because it's well known it's easier.

because of this status both movies can be found on the internet archive

http://www.archive.org/details/TooLateForTears

swoon said:
do ya'll normally talk about noir? detour is one of my favorite films. check out the early anothny man movie Raw Deal for a similar rough noir.

too late for tears is also called killer bait, and is in the public domain so it becomes tricky to find among all the releases. same with detour but because it's well known it's easier.

because of this status both movies can be found on the internet archive

http://www.archive.org/details/TooLateForTears

How awesome are you?

So awesome!

Thanks man.

swoon said:

I just started getting into noir and crime fiction, so they'll both probably pop up regularly from here on out. I don't have a lot of time to play games right now (and won't for about another month), but I can squeeze in a noir film (which are usually pretty short) in the free time I do get. I'll definitely hit up Raw Deal, thank you for the recommendation.

Limedust

Although I've already formed my opinion about it, I hope Doug and Robert give their impressions about the SMT: Strange Journey in a coming episode.

You should check out The Third Man if you haven't already. Not only my favorite noir film but one of my favorite films of all time.

Top Bottom