• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borecast 40: Off the Record, on the QT, and Very Hush-Hush

direct download - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast40.mp3

SEGMENT ONE: The Book of Revelations

We share our deepest and darkest with you. Shocking confessions! Scandalous secrets! Stupid decisions!

SEGMENT TWO: Movies & Games

(1:00:20) Sherlock Holmes - Janet joins us for a discussion of the recent movie, and the character's history.

(1:27:00) Quicksand (1950 Noir)

(1:33:30) The Hitchhiker (1953 Noir)

(1:40:00) Resonance of Fate

(1:47:35) Just Cause 2

Talk to you next week!

Strange Journuu is a big game and we're old and fall asleep too early :(

(I like it a lot, but can't rip myself away from Din's Curse and Settlers VII at the moment).

I Push Fat Kids said:
No Strange Journey or Perfect Dark? Wahhappen?

We ran waaaaaay long. I trimmed about 30 minutes off this episode, a segment which started off as a review of the DSi XL and splintered off into several rants. That will be included in next week's show, as well as talk about those games (I guess?).

"Revelations" was just a play on the biblical book, there's three of us.

Kevtones

I was sort of bummed to hear Kevin's preliminary negativity towards Perfect Dark last week. I haven't had a chance to play it but it can't be worse than Perfect Dark Zero..?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kevin, I don't blame you at all. It's really easy to throw in Mario Kart and play online, but only with random people. Once you have somebody specific in mind then the process becomes cumbersome and obnoxious.

I don't really play it much either these days. I just thought it'd be kinda fun to play a session or two.

Rufus

You seem to have more money than sense, which is nothing new and, dare I say it, almost enviable. I don't know what else you would say to that. The existence of the 'game' overshadows everything.

What I want to know: Can you play it with one hand?

KamenSenshi

so now that you've gotten your psp go and awii, have you considered an ipad? I will never buy one but considering you have the same tech fetish im curious what you would say if you got one.

Yoritomo

Drinky Crow said:
man, i haven't been mocked yet!

Sorry, I've been trying to see if archive.org had http://www.ecn.ou.edu/~douglas archived. Sadly it didn't. So I couldn't post your slayer's style anime fanart from your college days.

So did you rent Urotsuki Doji from the Hastings in Norman? I remember it being on the shelf. Glad I didn't rent it, my parents would have sent me to military school.

The best comedy has elements of self loathing. Embrace that shit.

KamenSenshi said:
so now that you've gotten your psp go and awii, have you considered an ipad? I will never buy one but considering you have the same tech fetish im curious what you would say if you got one.

I'll be getting the 16GB one in about a month, once I take care of some other personal business. I never really leave the house with my iPod Touch anyway (scared of dropping it and breaking it), so I'm selling that and putting the money towards the iPad. My only gripe with the touch was the screen size for reading, so it's ideal for my uses.

Yoritomo

I apologize for this Drinky. :lol

Castellan (Drinky Crow circa 1997) said:
Don't get me wrong - I like anime quite a bit. I even presuppose to
draw in the manga style every now and then. But I certainly know where the
appeal lies in it for many otaku - the cute and/or overproportioned female
images. Japanese dating sims are only popular because gibbering, socially-
-inept otakoids would like a chance to score with the Belldandy of their
creams, fulfilling a fantasy in lieu of actually having to face up to the
REAL dating environment out there. These "games" are desired because of
the titillating little fantasy they offer, not because they are actually
playable. In terms of actual skill, story, and play mechanics, they're about as
well-developed and entertaining as _Myst_ or any other of a host of
multimedia-type games.

I just wanted to reveal how truthful you were. After shifting looking for an archive of your college site I hit on this and it just really really applied to the podcast discussion.

I'll stop e-stalking you now.

I watched anime for a bit in college, but only because my friends liked to watch it and didn't always want to do what I really wanted to do (LAN party) every weekend.

Only exception is Slayers, which I can sit down and watch in the background while playing games on my laptop/psp to this day.

KamenSenshi

Eel O'Brian said:
My only gripe with the touch was the screen size for reading, so it's ideal for my uses.
comics? i think i remember a conversation about comics on the podcast last year. if you do use it for that im curious to see what you think of the quality

Yoritomo said:
Sorry, I've been trying to see if archive.org had http://www.ecn.ou.edu/~douglas archived. Sadly it didn't. So I couldn't post your slayer's style anime fanart from your college days.

So did you rent Urotsuki Doji from the Hastings in Norman? I remember it being on the shelf. Glad I didn't rent it, my parents would have sent me to military school.

The best comedy has elements of self loathing. Embrace that shit.

i think we did rent it from the norman hastings! jesus, that's a flashback. i pathetically remember the day i at LONG LAST found a copy of r-type 3 snes available for rent there more than i remember one or two of the girls i dated in college. man, i was a NERD.

and wow, i am shocked that i am still consistent in my hatred of anime tards, since i thought i'd mellowed since those dark, dark days.

Alex

I've never even seen Slayers. I still somewhat regret that. If I had to pick a "one and only" favorite anime that I can still really dig, I'd pick Captain Tylor. I always loved that show.

I wanna try Just Cause 2, but I can only do so much open world and I'm kind of saving that for Red Dead Redemption. I'm a pretty big classic Western nut. That style really doesn't have much of the atmosphere or fun tropes really exploited much in games. Couple of vague shooters, Wild Arms games which attempt to pretend they're all about the Wild West for about 10 minutes and two songs, then it's just an excuse to not color shit.

KamenSenshi said:
comics? i think i remember a conversation about comics on the podcast last year. if you do use it for that im curious to see what you think of the quality

Yeah, I have a ton of public domain Golden Age Comics in .cbr/.cbz format. I played with one today at my local Best Buy, it has a really nice screen.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There really should be a game of who can make Doug perform the most degrading or hypocritical purchase. Mastery of this game includes being able to somehow convince him to buy a furry rape sim.

You know it's possible. Doug will buy anything.

Fragamemnon said:
I watched anime for a bit in college, but only because my friends liked to watch it and didn't always want to do what I really wanted to do (LAN party) every weekend.
Speaking of shameful confessions that didn't appear on the show...

Yoritomo

None of you seem to be the type to buy into the 3d tech stuff coming out soon... but I'm sure Doug will pick some up anyway.

Eel O'Brian said:
It was Days of Our Lives, btw.

Meh. If you grew without easy access web stuff there wasn't much of an alternative. Hell sometimes you would just pray for that hair metal video to come on MTV....

When you're 15 anything will do.

Kevtones

On the subject of horrible eating bets, in Middle School I paid my best friend $5 to drink roughly a shot of jerky grease out of the bottom of a Slim Jim tube. This same friend is now getting his Master's Degree in Economics at Stanford.

Also, I almost crashed my car when I heard Doug's DOA confession.

Drinky Crow said:
there's gonna be some major ROG ROUND 2 pimpage in a coming ep

the asus g73 is wow just wow

wow that thing looks awesome.

we could use a midyear hardware round up at some point soon anyway.

No show this week, one of us had some other business to take care of. The "Name Episode 41" contest has been extended to April 18th.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm catching up with this podcast. I just finished the episode where Doug complained that FF13 was too anime pop and ten minutes later expressed his love for FFX-2

edit: relistened in order to get the guy's name right...he complains about anime storylines and then compliments the Tales series. WTF?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gattsu25 said:
I'm catching up with this podcast. I just finished the episode where Doug complained that FF13 was too anime pop and ten minutes later expressed his love for FFX-2
Kinda like how he was down on SF4 but loved the more complex fighting game with anime art and high pitched voice sampling for every button.

Maybe because of it.

i'm not a huge fan of ffx-2 -- i've never gotten more than four hours into it. that doesn't stop it from being a better game than ff13, though!

and i liked tales of vesperia and tales of eternia, but i can pass on the others. the stories/characters are crap. i think i just approach jrpgs from a different vector than the typical fan.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I still wanted to hear you break down everything that was wrong with FFXIII's story and characters. Mainly cause I find you ripping into things hilarious and sometimes insightful.

Rufus

HK-47 said:
I still wanted to hear you break down everything that was wrong with FFXIII's story and characters. Mainly cause I find you ripping into things hilarious and sometimes insightful.
I read Tim Rogers' 18k word long review of the game and felt like he said everything worth saying. He breaks it down piece by piece and doesn't even make up random stories like he usually does to illustrate his point.

Limedust

I didn't know who Tim Rogers was, so I googled it and started reading his FFXIII review. I think he's a great representative of Generation Y: Completely unorganized and easily distracted. I really had to work to follow his train of thought.

Top Bottom