• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Silent Hill for PS3/360

UrbanRats

Jocchan said:
I may be weird, but I found the atmosphere in Shattered Memories to be as intense and unsettling as the best chapters in the series, and I consider myself "a true Silent Hill fan".

And even though I knew perfectly I was safe outside the frozen areas, the fact everything could freeze at any moment was more than enough for me to feel a constant tension while I was proceeding further in the game.

So, no, I don't agree with people saying the game had no atmosphere, no tension and no scare factor.
Similar.
Also, an important feature of the SH franchise, is the relation between the story and the visuals/gameplay elements.
Shattered Memories does it great, SH2 does it great and so on.

I hope that "VATRA" has a good art work team, more original monsters designs with great symbolism, plx.
Lime said:
The hair on the main character isn't really that good. I can't wait to see the finished product, although UE3 equates terrible hair. I mean, look at it:

http://www.abload.de/img/test9c3w.jpg

/nitpick

But like with Homecoming, I am not hyped at all and in this case a bit cautious with an unproven studio. But we'll see.
such a weak excuse.

Booser

Im not getting the praise for this really. The thing that lingered with me about that trailer was the PS2 era animation. It really was awful.

Pydte

Jocchan said:
I may be weird, but I found the atmosphere in Shattered Memories to be as intense and unsettling as the best chapters in the series, and I consider myself "a true Silent Hill fan".

And even though I knew perfectly I was safe outside the frozen areas, the fact everything could freeze at any moment was more than enough for me to feel a constant tension while I was proceeding further in the game.

So, no, I don't agree with people saying the game had no atmosphere, no tension and no scare factor.
Agree! Even as a long time Silent Hill fan, who should treasure the old installations above all else, right?, I can easily say that the chase sequences of Shattered Memories were among the most intense experiences I ever had with the series.

Konami always struggled with the combat system, failing to make it feel satisfying (unresponsive controls) or using it as an instrument for horror (often you became too powerful), which is why I admire Climax for taking the consequence and removing it altogether. While not perfect, the chase sequences instilled a truly terrifying feeling of helplessness that I had never experienced in the earlier titles.

Also, Climax seemed to grasp the basic principles of Silent Hill lore much better than, say, the people who produced the movie and the devloper's of homecoming, who basically copied fan-favorite elements of previous installations and added some visual flair, while neglecting what really made the original trilogy stand out - e.g. the storytelling, melancholic atmosphere and deep character development. Again, i think Climax did an excellent job in keeping those elements intact in SM, while at the same time managing to engage the player in the storytelling in a meaningful way.

As a result, for me SM became a unique, personal horror experience unlike anything I had previous experienced. The nightmarish representation of Silent Hill and the development of the story felt as a direct consequence of my personal playstyle and mentality, which is exactly what the old games have always been communicating through its plot and characters. Maybe I'm too easy to fool as I never managed to break Climax storytelling algorithm (and believe me, I tried), but honestly... I don't care. It worked for me, as it seems to have worked for many others - and as such it was a great accomplishment by the developers.

So, relating all of this rambling to the topic at hand. I'm slightly saddened to see that Vatra, judging by the trailer, is seemingly going back the, modern, traditional SH route of especially the movie adaptation and Homecoming. It looks like your standard thriller tv show with mystery, intrigue and cheap jump scares, and while this is not necessarily a bad thing, it doesn't have much to do with SH obscureness of old, nor horror in general.

As such, coming from Climax' fresh, but slightly flawed, take on a series, which had long since grown stale and desperately needed a breath of fresh air, it feels like Vatra is ready to bomb us several years back into SH existence, unfortunately. I wish them best of luck, but at the moment I'm not keeping my hopes high.

MYE

Pydte said:
Agree! Even as a long time Silent Hill fan, who should treasure the old installations above all else, right?, I can easily say that the chase sequences of Shattered Memories were among the most intense experiences I ever had with the series.

Konami always struggled with the combat system, failing to make it feel satisfying (unresponsive controls) or using it as an instrument for horror (often you became too powerful), which is why I admire Climax for taking the consequence and removing it altogether. While not perfect, the chase sequences instilled a truly terrifying feeling of helplessness that I had never experienced in the earlier titles.

Also, Climax seemed to grasp the basic principles of Silent Hill lore much better than, say, the people who produced the movie and the devloper's of homecoming, who basically copied fan-favorite elements of previous installations and added some visual flair, while neglecting what really made the original trilogy stand out - e.g. the storytelling, melancholic atmosphere and deep character development. Again, i think Climax did an excellent job in keeping those elements intact in SM, while at the same time managing to engage the player in the storytelling in a meaningful way.

As a result, for me SM became a unique, personal horror experience unlike anything I had previous experienced. The nightmarish representation of Silent Hill and the development of the story felt as a direct consequence of my personal playstyle and mentality, which is exactly what the old games have always been communicating through its plot and characters. Maybe I'm too easy to fool as I never managed to break Climax storytelling algorithm (and believe me, I tried), but honestly... I don't care. It worked for me, as it seems to have worked for many others - and as such it was a great accomplishment by the developers.

So, relating all of this rambling to the topic at hand. I'm slightly saddened to see that Vatra, judging by the trailer, is seemingly going back the, modern, traditional SH route of especially the movie adaptation and Homecoming. It looks like your standard thriller tv show with mystery, intrigue and cheap jump scares, and while this is not necessarily a bad thing, it doesn't have much to do with SH obscureness of old, nor horror in general.

As such, coming from Climax' fresh, but slightly flawed, take on a series, which had long since grown stale and desperately needed a breath of fresh air, it feels like Vatra is ready to bomb us several years back into SH existence, unfortunately. I wish them best of luck, but at the moment I'm not keeping my hopes high.

THIS

Couldn't have said it better myself.

<3

Teknoman

Booser said:
Im not getting the praise for this really. The thing that lingered with me about that trailer was the PS2 era animation. It really was awful.

Most of the praise is coming from the environmental design/graphic quality and music.

Replicant

I liked Climax when they did Silent Hill: Origins. But Shattered Memories was just too much of a departure from the traditional Silent Hill for me. It was an okay game on its own but it wasn't the Silent Hill that I knew and love. They'd be better off calling it something else instead of Silent Hill.

To me Silent Hill was a game that exploits one's fear of otherness, especially one that can happen to yourself. The faceless 'monsters', the amputated 'creatures', invasive procedure/entity, etc along with the concept of False Gods, loneliness, and dilapidated city. The irrational fear that your own flesh/body might turn into one of those abominable freaks. At least that was the original idea that made the original Silent Hill scary (especially when you saw it happened to Lisa). Most SH games from 1 to Origins more or less deal with this issue or psychological issue of the characters.

What they did in Homecoming by introducing human enemies completely defeated the idea of the game's fear originating from fear of otherness. What they did in Shattered Memories was just too much of a change into psychological territory and ghost/spectre issue.

Teknoman

Well I hope Climax takes what they learned in Shattered Memories, and either make it a sort of side story series, or teams up with konami once again to make a wii centric survival horror series. I mean seeing Silent Hill run at 60fps and with a new spin on the other world was kinda cool (no pun intended). And the flashlight controls paired with the shoving to get monsters off you makes me wish for move controls.

Mar

What's the (spoiler free) consensus on Homecoming anyway? I'm interested because I've only just started playing it. Initially I thought it was awesome and a welcome return to old school Silent Hill. The story and atmosphere is really well done. However quickly that was destroyed by perhaps the worst combat in any Silent Hill, if not any game. Getting trapped in a corner by a never pausing slashing nurse and watching all my health and health items waste away while I can't do anything has infuriated me. To the point where I question how the game even got released as it is.

What the fuck were they thinking?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Mar said:
What's the (spoiler free) consensus on Homecoming anyway?

What the fuck were they thinking?

The combat is ass (and infuriating!), the difficulty on normal is ridiculous compared to older SH games on normal, the story is Silent Hill by the numbers, the graphics are extremely hit or miss (quite a few of the character models look seriously atrocious, far worse than the ones from SH3, and SH3 was a PS2 game), there are some strange bugs and glitches here and there (I don't know if this works in the console versions, but in the PC version, when you first meet Alex's mother, after you've talked to her, go over to her and stab her with the knife a few times, and she'll hover above the chair :lol ) and it's basically Silent Hill - The Movie: The Game. It's still miles better than Shattered Memories IMO.

I guess they thought 'let's make a game sort of based on the movie but not really based on the movie, fuck yeah'.

Edit: And it's also fucking cheap on health drinks, medkits and ammo.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I just finished Homecoming last week and was surprised just how much I enjoyed it. I'm not a Silent Hill fanboy, but I really enjoy the series and feel that Homecoming was a very worthy addition. I'm playing through it again to see more of the endings.

And I find combat complaints strange. This is the first Silent Hill were I've actually enjoyed the combat. In other SH games I'd run from enemies because I didn't want to deal with the half-assed combat system. In Homecoming I'd run because fighting actually posed a threat.

The new silent hill trailer peaks my interest. I like what was shown and hope it turns out well.

Mar

Combichristoffersen said:
The combat is ass (and infuriating!), the difficulty on normal is ridiculous compared to older SH games on normal, the story is Silent Hill by the numbers, the graphics are extremely hit or miss (quite a few of the character models look seriously atrocious, far worse than the ones from SH3, and SH3 was a PS2 game), there are some strange bugs and glitches here and there (I don't know if this works in the console versions, but in the PC version, when you first meet Alex's mother, after you've talked to her, go over to her and stab her with the knife a few times, and she'll hover above the chair :lol ) and it's basically Silent Hill - The Movie: The Game. It's still miles better than Shattered Memories IMO.

I guess they thought 'let's make a game sort of based on the movie but not really based on the movie, fuck yeah'.

Edit: And it's also fucking cheap on health drinks, medkits and ammo.

Well, I'd argue none of the following SH games have looked better than SH3. While the environments look incredible in Homecoming, the characters are a long way off.

As you mentioned, it feels very much like SH The Movie The Game. I don't have a problem with that though. They came up with some really cool ideas in the movie.

Zoso said:
I just finished Homecoming last week and was surprised just how much I enjoyed it. I'm not a Silent Hill fanboy, but I really enjoy the series and feel that Homecoming was a very worthy addition. I'm playing through it again to see more of the endings.

And I find combat complaints strange. This is the first Silent Hill were I've actually enjoyed the combat. In other SH games I'd run from enemies because I didn't want to deal with the half-assed combat system. In Homecoming I'd run because fighting actually posed a threat.

Interesting. Any tips for the combat then? Specifically what to do if you're trapped in a confined space with a nurse that won't stop swinging? I haven't tried turning the torch off yet, does that help?

I don't mind if the combat is hard. But when you're backed in a corner and the only choice is to die and restart your game from half way through the level, I get a little angry.

brandonh83 said:
I did too. Yeah some of the acting was bad and it had a few terrible lines, but for a film version of Silent Hill I walked away pretty impressed. It was like the most well-made B-movie of all time. :lol

FILTH AND LIES

Replicant said:
I liked Climax when they did Silent Hill: Origins. But Shattered Memories was just too much of a departure from the traditional Silent Hill for me. It was an okay game on its own but it wasn't the Silent Hill that I knew and love. They'd be better off calling it something else instead of Silent Hill.

To me Silent Hill was a game that exploits one's fear of otherness, especially one that can happen to yourself. The faceless 'monsters', the amputated 'creatures', invasive procedure/entity, etc along with the concept of False Gods, loneliness, and dilapidated city. The irrational fear that your own flesh/body might turn into one of those abominable freaks. At least that was the original idea that made the original Silent Hill scary (especially when you saw it happened to Lisa). Most SH games from 1 to Origins more or less deal with this issue or psychological issue of the characters.

What they did in Homecoming by introducing human enemies completely defeated the idea of the game's fear originating from fear of otherness. What they did in Shattered Memories was just too much of a change into psychological territory and ghost/spectre issue.

You pretty much summed it up. If Shattered Memories had some kind of combat or danger in the overworld, it could have been better, but other than the trial-and-error chase sequences, it was just a point-and-click game with really dumb puzzles.
I'm also tired of people complaining about the old games' combat system. You get weapons and you hit enemies with them. It's fun to hit things with pipes. Where's the problem? You run from half that shit anyway!

Teknoman

People say the combat sucked in past SH games, but I never had a problem defeating anything in 2 or 3. 4 maybe, but with 2 and 3 I could bash in the head of anything...unless it caught me off guard...or in the case of 2, was Pyramid Head.

lead-pipe-o.gif

It wasnt one of the main draws, but it wasnt overly complicated either. Also i'd have no problem if Shattered Memories threw in degradable weapons during the chase scenes. Nothing to add in the inventory, but taking a pipe or random object laying around and using it as a weapon wouldn't have hurt.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope I'm not the only one who hated Shattered Memories. The story seemed interesting but I didn't like the gameplay.

There's always been an element of strategy in the combat, simply because if you take on two or more enemies at a time, you're gonna get your shit fucked up and need a health drink. Always. If you plan and lure enemies through narrow entrances/hallways/etc, you stand a better chance at saving health and ammunition. Also, the lead pipe is your friend. :)

Perhaps it has to do a little with the idea that no protagonist in any of the games is a superhero. You're gonna get injured and health items aren't always that plentiful.

Teknoman

I hope the composer looks to Silent Hill 2-3 for inspiration. I know he might want to bring a new sound to SH, but it doesnt hurt to check out Yamaoka's earlier work.

Shattered Memories has great tracks as well.

daxter01 said:
human enemies destroyed homecoming plz dont do the same mistake vatra

Bring back abstract off putting enemies please.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Mar said:
Interesting. Any tips for the combat then? Specifically what to do if you're trapped in a confined space with a nurse that won't stop swinging? I haven't tried turning the torch off yet, does that help?

I don't mind if the combat is hard. But when you're backed in a corner and the only choice is to die and restart your game from half way through the level, I get a little angry.

Turning off your flashlight gives you a surprisingly large advantage against nurses. If you walk slow with your light off they'll never notice you. I always use the knife because its attack is usually fast enough to prevent them from attacking you. Plus you probably noticed that nurses get much more aggressive once you reach the Grand Hotel. I've never gotten caught in a corner by them, but I can see it happening when they're attacking like crazy. I suppose there wouldn't be much you can do except try to dodge or try to bring up a gun to blast them away.

I'm don't think the combat is perfect or anything, I just find it much more satisfying than any of the other Silent Hill games I've played. There's something enjoyable about learning how to dodge a new enemy's attack and what weapon works well against them. In SH2 & 3 I always dreaded combat. Like any type of boss fight just bummed me out. But when Homecoming threw bosses at me I was legitimately excited.

Teknoman said:
Bring back abstract off putting enemies please.

Provided they are relevant. The early enemies in the series were based around the characters or if they tied into the overall narrative. After SH4 it seemed they started to slip a little.

Silent Hill 4 gets major props for the twins, Billy and Miriam Locaine. Brilliantly done.

Teknoman

The only thing I didnt like about Homecoming's bosses, is that I couldnt figure out how to dodge the first one's ground attack.

Combichristoffersen

Teknoman said:
Btw how is the PS2 version of Origins?

It's pretty good. Graphics are somewhere between SH2 and SH3. But closer to SH2.

Oh, and yeah, the dodge move bullshit in Homecoming is full of fuck. Easily the worst combat to date in any SH game IMO, even worse than in SH4 and 0rigins.

Teknoman

disappeared said:
Provided they are relevant. The early enemies in the series were based around the characters or if they tied into the overall narrative. After SH4 it seemed they started to slip a little.

Silent Hill 4 gets major props for the twins, Billy and Miriam Locaine. Brilliantly done.

Well yeah, but then i'd be worried about getting enemies that looked like they were ripped out of The Suffering. Unless they dive deeper into the character's past, instead of just going with the usual prison stuff (electric chair, needles, shivs, gas, guns, etc.).

EDIT: I wonder if Konami customer support has a special message in every SH game that lets you use a phone. Just tried it in Shattered Memories.

BTW, how's the PS2 version of Shattered Memories..? i've never seen anyone mention it, anywhere! it's like it doesn't even exist.

i dont have a Wii and that's the only Silent Hill i don't have :( unless it's particularly atrocious on PS2, i'm thinking i have to get it.

disappeared said:

Too bad they don't scream as they run towards you. I'm sure it would be annoying after a while, but it looked scary in the trailer.

Teknoman said:
EDIT: I wonder if Konami customer support has a special message in every SH game that lets you use a phone. Just tried it in Shattered Memories.

I'll have to try it in Silent Hill 4. Is the number in the manual?

Aren't the developers from the former Mafia 1 team? I think there's some promising stuff there if I'm not talking shit.

I'm just worried about whether they'll pull off the story/atmosphere and the music.

Teknoman

RadioHeadAche said:
Too bad they don't scream as they run towards you. I'm sure it would be annoying after a while, but it looked scary in the trailer.

I'll have to try it in Silent Hill 4. Is the number in the manual?

Should be. If not, it's 220-8330.

astroturfing said:
BTW, how's the PS2 version of Shattered Memories..? i've never seen anyone mention it, anywhere! it's like it doesn't even exist.

I talked about it tons in the OT. Great game, solid control (they even simplified the Wii control stuff). Best-looking visuals I've seen on PS2. The snowfall is surreal, and I've lived through 25 Canadian winters.

RadioHeadAche said:
"No answer, just like I thought."

I tried several other Konami numbers including the ones in the SH4 manual, and got nothing. That's rather disappointing.

First number I ever tried was, predictably, 911. Cops showed up and I got the "Coward" ending.

disappeared said:

Although the game lacked a bit Homecoming had amazing bosses themed around certain characters. Scarlet is still one of my favourite SH bosses, combined with the eerie music. Asphyxia was great as well.

disappeared said:
I talked about it tons in the OT. Great game, solid control (they even simplified the Wii control stuff). Best-looking visuals I've seen on PS2. The snowfall is surreal, and I've lived through 25 Canadian winters.

oh, +1 sale.

thanks!

Jigsaw

Banned
disappeared said:
I talked about it tons in the OT. Great game, solid control (they even simplified the Wii control stuff). Best-looking visuals I've seen on PS2.

it looked pretty good but nowhere near as good as the best looking games on ps2,sh 3 & 4 looked way better

controls were great,though the nightmare chases still sucked balls

Speaking of Robbie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l18tj_U7t0

OLD.

Jigsaw said:
it looked pretty good but nowhere near as good as the best looking games on ps2,sh 3 & 4 looked way better

controls were great,though the nightmare chases still sucked balls

Granted. I haven't touched SH3 in years. But yeah, maybe I was exaggerating a bit on the visuals. But still, best snowfall in any game to date. Speaking from experience with snow. :lol

Combichristoffersen

disappeared said:
Granted. I haven't touched SH3 in years. But yeah, maybe I was exaggerating a bit on the visuals.

A bit? :p Granted, it's not really an ugly game by any means, but I'm sure you could probably find at least 10 PS2 games that all look better.

Top Bottom