• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

JADS

Scythian Empire said:
Is there anything like this that is compatible with Mac?

I haven't installed Boot Camp yet since I can't get hold of a windows XP disc.

There is a mac port, its however far behind the Windows port in terms of speed. No Directx plugin is a big mis. You will get the best performance under a 64 bit Windows operating system.

Cow Mengde said:
Holy hell this game looks amazing. Is it just me or do the screens look darker than normal though?

Hmm, you may be on to something. It indeeds look a bit darker when compared to what is outputted on the Wii.

bee

Super Mario Galaxy 3D

works ok, water reflections are broke and of course it runs slow but the 3D effect can look quite nice at times, although nothing compared to the pc games designed for 3D. rename to .jps and view in stereoscopic viewer or use another technique

Just got Wind Waker up and running (with my brand new overclocked CPU!) and so far as I can tell, it's holding a steady framerate in HD with 4xAA on a 3.5 GHz overclock. :)

My only problem with it is that the music seems to be skipping around and getting out of sync. The music in the title screen jumps all over the place, and it's really noticeable in the opening cinematic where the music is synced to the little storybook thing. Is there any way to fix this? This happens regardless of whether or not I have audio throttle enabled in the DSP settings.

Edit: The sound seems to not be skipping during events that aren't actually synced to the music, such as the BGM for Outset Island. But the MIDI seems like it's not quite emulated properly, like some of the notes aren't being held as long as they should. Is this a known issue or is there a solution?

Zomba13

bee said:

Super Mario Galaxy 3D

works ok, water reflections are broke and of course it runs slow but the 3D effect can look quite nice at times, although nothing compared to the pc games designed for 3D. rename to .jps and view in stereoscopic viewer or use another technique
Is that on Dolphin 2.0? Because that won't work in 3D for me, I have to use an older revision to get 3D.

bee

Zomba13 said:
Is that on Dolphin 2.0? Because that won't work in 3D for me, I have to use an older revision to get 3D.

its an older build yeah, 5331 to be precise but not sure if that's after or before the official 2.0 release

[url=http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dolphin09_85v1qv.jpg][/URL]

the 3D effect on excite truck is MUCH better, in fact i'd say its excellent, shame about the performance, but on that note twilight princess actually runs full speed in 3D and looks great but the 2D map on the hud is corrupt and spoils it, gonna try some other builds for that

Ramenman

bee said:
its an older build yeah, 5331 to be precise but not sure if that's after or before the official 2.0 release

[url=http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dolphin09_85v1qv.jpg][/URL]

the 3D effect on excite truck is MUCH better, in fact i'd say its excellent, shame about the performance, but on that note twilight princess actually runs full speed in 3D and looks great but the 2D map on the hud is corrupt and spoils it, gonna try some other builds for that

Impressive ! How about a screen in this forest race where you jump super high ?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
bee said:
Super Mario Galaxy 3D

What are you using to make these 3D screenshots?

M3d10n

brain_stew said:
Nope, when running Dolphin though an i5-750 will actually turbo upto ~3ghz and considering Intel's chips are significantly faster clock for clock than AMD's in Dolphin, there's no contest. I'd still recommend a slight overclock though, a proper OC should actually run cooler than a stock setup.
The dual core i5s are a tad too expensive for dual cores. Also, this is my main rig and it'd be nice to have four cores since I also game and develop on it.

I'm leaning towards the i5-750, does anyone in the thread has run Dolphin on one?

M3d10n said:
I'm leaning towards the i5-750, does anyone in the thread has run Dolphin on one?

I use an i5 750 running at 3.2ghz with a 4890. Works pretty well I find. I've only played Windwaker and New Super Mario Brothers on it though but they both run at a stable 60FPS.

-edit- I use PCSX2 more and games run perfectly on that as well.

Fitz

M3d10n said:

Got one here, not much to say really though, the performance is great at 1080, any dips in fps I get can be attributed to either my GPU or the Emulator not fully supporting a specific game yet. Although I've got the turbo feature turned off because I've overclocked it to 4GHz.

I've managed to launch Dolphin through Crossover to use this on my Mac but I'm having some trouble setting up my 360 controller.

What plug-ins do I need to use a 360 controller for my Mac?

jediyoshi

dolphin2010-07-0602-515f10.jpg

dolphin2010-06-2323-084fzy.jpg

JADS

Just a heads up: r5846 is awesome. The compatibility of EFB to Ram with the speed of EFB to Texture. Super Mario Sunshine at full speed, Wii Sport Resort without ugly faces, working mini map in Zelda TP without any slowdown, Endless Ocean 2 that doesn't crash at random. A bit unstable at the moment but more compatibility without sacrificing speed is always nice.

@Jediyoshi The first screenshot was my wallpaper for quite a while, when I did my playtrough :D

Fitz

JADS said:
working mini map in Zelda TP without any slowdown

That is brilliant, by slowdown, do you mean the Hyrule field slowdown? If that is fixed, and you can have a working minimap without a blurred corner of the screen, then the game is near perfect.

EDIT: Oh never mind, I've seen the description.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bee said:
Super Mario Galaxy 3D

Outside of the text neither of those images are stereoscopic.

Platy

IRONY !!!!

I helped 3 friends (even to the pointing of giving the games for that time) to get this works on windows 7 64bits ...

....but my XP 32bits explodes (in the "double click -> this program needs to be closed" sense) =/

And i only want to rip some light trax music ><

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Metalmurphy said:
What game is this? Is that Claire Redfield?

Looks like Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles.

JADS said:
Just a heads up: r5846 is awesome. The compatibility of EFB to Ram with the speed of EFB to Texture. Super Mario Sunshine at full speed, Wii Sport Resort without ugly faces, working mini map in Zelda TP without any slowdown, Endless Ocean 2 that doesn't crash at random. A bit unstable at the moment but more compatibility without sacrificing speed is always nice.

@Jediyoshi The first screenshot was my wallpaper for quite a while, when I did my playtrough :D
Damn I didn't know EFB to ram was slow for everyone, thought it was my shitty ddr667 ram's fault. :lol

Edit: What changed exactly? I still have the two EFB options in DX9 and DX11 seems to use EFB to texture still, which presents the same bugs as before.

does anyone know if they fixed the sound issue in mario galaxy 1/2 yet? also are there any opencl builds available for download (i use ati 5850)?

JADS

BishopLamont said:
Damn I didn't know EFB to ram was slow for everyone, thought it was my shitty ddr667 ram's fault. :lol

Edit: What changed exactly? I still have the two EFB options in DX9 and DX11 seems to use EFB to texture still, which presents the same bugs as before.

Experimental EFB to ram for directx9 (Select EFB to Ram). Just try it on some games, it should be near the speed of EFB to Texture on some of them http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=5846

Diablohead said:
What have they done to her! obvious cleavage and a pointy nose?
And you know what? it looks GOOD.

Unlike that thing on your avatar, that I'll agree, worst redesign in a long time.

Good ole Deadly Creatures. I would love to see some of the later environments. The just started to look better and better as it went along, with some awesome final segments to cap it off :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
abstract alien said:
Good ole Deadly Creatures. I would love to see some of the later environments. The just started to look better and better as it went along, with some awesome final segments to cap it off :D

Indeed, it's a really well crafted game! Bargain price for those that want a nice $10 pickup for 10 hours of play time.

Aeonin

Hey you guys,

I remember seeing a boat load of high rez Wind Waker shots out of the Dolphin emulator. But they aren't in this thread.

Anyone remember where they are all at? Been looking around all kinds.

Thanks alot!

Aeonin

Jocchan said:
They are in the old thread about Dolphin:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356785
They start around page 50 (if you have 50 posts per page).

Thank you so much Jocchan! Those shots are gorgeous, flat out amazing.

Although I have to request something, maybe from Stallion Free - if you're available and have got to this part. But I didn't see any of the Wind Waker shots show any ice areas - snowy landscapes. So Stallion (or anyone else capable), if you've got any free time I'm sure people would love to gaze upon that sight. Thank again, great thread.

Fitz

nolookjones said:
if you want to use a real wii mote/nunchuck im assuming you would also need the sensor bar, right?

If you want to use the pointing function then yes, otherwise most blue tooth adaptors are fine. If your Wii is near you PC you can leave that powered on and use the sensor bar that's plugged into it.

Nabs

The new revisions run Super Mario Sunshine extremely well. I'm going to try to play through the game and then post up a config (if someone else doesn't beat me to it).

For those interested now, remember a few things: use dx9, efb copy > ram, efb scale x2 or x3, and force 30fps (with it checked off in configure).

I haven't played much yet, but I hear that the freezing has been fixed. Also, the heatwave effect looks much nicer now.

JADS

Nabs said:
The new revisions run Super Mario Sunshine extremely well. I'm going to try to play through the game and then post up a config (if someone else doesn't beat me to it).

For those interested now, remember a few things: use dx9, efb copy > ram, efb scale x1 or x2, and force 30fps (with it checked off in configure).

I haven't played much yet, but I hear that the freezing has been fixed. Also, the heatwave effect looks much nicer now.

I can pretty much confirm that. The only thing totally busted is the widescreen hack, so no 16X9 goodness.

Red

I just discovered Dolphin can run GC games at Eyefinity resolutions with the widescreen hack, holy shit. I can't recommend this enough.

Red

jediyoshi said:
It doesn't add too much to Melee, I find, since the camera zooms out so far anyway. It's really cool for Wind Waker (though object pop in gets a little distracting). I really need to try it for Metroid Prime.

All 3 screens I'm using are different sizes, which makes bezel management impossible. It's still pretty neat to see.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
It doesn't add too much to Melee, I find, since the camera zooms out so far anyway. It's really cool for Wind Waker (though object pop in gets a little distracting). I really need to try it for Metroid Prime.

All 3 screens I'm using are different sizes, which makes bezel management impossible. It's still pretty neat to see.
Metroid pop-in is even worse than Wind Waker. Whole chunks of the environment don't render on each side even on 16:9 at points. Just pan left and right once you land on Tallon IV.

Fitz

Loving those screens, the colours of Mario Sunshine are just fantastic, must find my disc so I can try it on Dolphin.

Top Bottom