• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

sfried

jediyoshi said:
dolphin2010-06-2323-08nciy.jpg
Hot damn!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Help me GAF. I can't get OpenCL working :(. I have a PowerColor ATI Radeon 5870.

I made sure I installed the Ati Stream SDK for the OpenCL drivers, a guy I know says he got it running on the 10.6 Catalyst drivers, however AMD's site mentions it only working on 10.4 and other sites report that OpenCL support is broken in 10.5 and 10.6.

So uh, what do I do? :lol I cleaned out my old Nvidia Forceware drivers as well as I could.

I'd really like to try it out to see how well games run in comparison :D

I just downloaded a new Dolphin-build (r5775, x64), but I can't seem to get the old save states to work with it, any idea of how I should proceed?

One more thing, I used to be able to hit the "Esc"-button to minimize the game and change settings, but everytime I do that now it shuts down the game. Any ideas?

JADS said:
Are you using an OpenCL enabled build? Do you have the ati stream sdk installed http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamSDK/Pages/default.aspx ?

Yeah, I think that was it, didn't have the SDK installed. Now that I do though I still don't notice a huge framerate bump if any at all. As I understand it, OpenCL offloads some of the texture loading from CPU to GPU right? So I should notice some improvements? My Phenom II is clocked to 3.9 but I still cant get a steady 60fps in all areas. Also, someone mentioned there's a new compiler. Should I be using that in general settings?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Still having issues with OpenCL, no tools I use seem to acknowledge the fact that my GPU should support it :(.

Edit: Er, you need to update Direct X runtimes? I'll do that before complaining further about my situation :D

Edit #2: I am dumb. This was just to make the newer plugins work :|

Fitz

Djungelfrukt said:
I just downloaded a new Dolphin-build (r5775, x64), but I can't seem to get the old save states to work with it, any idea of how I should proceed?

How did you copy the saves over? Did you just directly copy the entire Wii/GC folders?

Djungelfrukt said:
One more thing, I used to be able to hit the "Esc"-button to minimize the game and change settings, but everytime I do that now it shuts down the game. Any ideas?

Personally pressing escape has always stopped the game for me, perhaps just use alt-tab instead.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Huzzah! Got OpenCL working. Had to delete the dll's in the system folders and reinstall the StreamSDK, works fine now :D

Fitz

Djungelfrukt said:
I copied the Config/Wii/GC/StateSaves folders but everytime I try to launch a SaveState Dolphin crashes.

Save States are known to be a bit temperamental, perhaps the new revision has simply changed something making older save states incompatible.

Colkate said:
Save States are known to be a bit temperamental, perhaps the new revision has simply changed something making older save states incompatible.
Gah, well then, I guess I'll have to stick to the old version as far as Wind Waker goes. Thanks anyway :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I tried downloading Stallion's config file for 360 controllers and put it in config tho it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Did anything change in the recent builds? Since the GCpad plugin isn't there anymore either.

Nabs

Djungelfrukt said:
Gah, well then, I guess I'll have to stick to the old version as far as Wind Waker goes. Thanks anyway :)

Just save your Wind Waker game like you would on a Gamecube and then copy over the User\GC folder. Save States aren't necessary with Dolphin unless you're having serious technical issues.

Teetris said:
I tried downloading Stallion's config file for 360 controllers and put it in config tho it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Did anything change in the recent builds? Since the GCpad plugin isn't there anymore either.

Yeah, the old GCPad plugin got phased out.

JADS

suikodan said:
Thanks! I really hope that it'll speed up Twilight Princess. I get a maximum of 75% in performance in large areas. :p

It wont. Zelda TP has some nasty bugs that can't be fixed without using a special build , that breaks everything else, or until someone patches the code.

Anony

r5786

i have no access to DX9 plugin anymore, only opengl and software renderer, and the dx9 dll is in the plugin dir

Magnus

So is everyone emulating their Wii games on PC actually using their wiimotes and such in front of their PC monitors? I'm sure the upgraded resolution makes games look great, but is it worth the screen size downgrade?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anony said:
r5786

i have no access to DX9 plugin anymore, only opengl and software renderer, and the dx9 dll is in the plugin dir
Go to Microsoft's homepage and get the DirectX Web Installer. You need new DX Redistributables. After you install them you'll be able to use the DirectX plugins again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Magnus said:
So is everyone emulating their Wii games on PC actually using their wiimotes and such in front of their PC monitors? I'm sure the upgraded resolution makes games look great, but is it worth the screen size downgrade?
Wii games look like shit in general on big hdtvs and you can easily plugin your PC to a TV. All modern videocards have HDMI ports and quite a few even support sound through that same port.

brassica

I can run most games just fine on my PC (C2Q9400, 4 Gb Ram, ATI 4870 1 gb ) @ 1920*1200, the only problem is the pad : I don't have Bluetooth included in my PC, so I use the XBOX 360 pad.
Anyone can give a link to their pad .ini file ? I can't get the best mapping to match most games.

Fitz

Magnus said:
I'm sure the upgraded resolution makes games look great, but is it worth the screen size downgrade?

My monitor is larger than my TV. :lol Ah the budget of a student.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
brassica said:
I can run most games just fine on my PC (C2Q9400, 4 Gb Ram, ATI 4870 1 gb ) @ 1920*1200, the only problem is the pad : I don't have Bluetooth included in my PC, so I use the XBOX 360 pad.
Anyone can give a link to their pad .ini file ? I can't get the best mapping to match most games.
It really changes from game to game as different games have different needs. You can't really have a good for most games set up.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Magnus said:
I've got my PC hooked via HDMI to my TV.

Even though the Wii is hooked to the TV too I choose to play on the PC. :lol

The difference in quality between Wii and emulator is ridiculous on a 42" tv.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hey all, I have a few questions regarding bluetooth adapters.

1. I'm having trouble finding Windows 7 compatible adapters. Many say vista compatible. Will those be compatible with 7 as well?

2. How come some adapters are dirt cheap? I won't be forced to purchase software to make them work will I?

Thanks for the help. Up until now I've mainly been playing non Wii remote games with dolphin, but I'm ready to start ripping my entire Wii collection to try out!

Magnus said:

My PC monitor is 37" well at least one of them is anyway.

Honestly in this day and age I can't fathom people not having their PCs hooked up to their HDTVs, they work with them much better than consoles do.

forrest

formerly nacire
Magnus said:

I have my pc connected to my 55 inch samsung tv and I play tons of games on it with a xbox 360 wireless controller. Some of the games I play were even made for pc, but are very playable with the right controller config. It's definitely worth it and blows all of my friends away when they see the IQ difference between the pc gaming and console gaming (especially on the Wii/Gamecube games).

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Stallion Free said:
Here's the fixed GCpadnew.ini with the rumble setup: http://www.mediafire.com/?vzwygnmzm4z
Nice! Thank you, works great. :D

After setting everything up, this runs waaaay better than I expected it would on a laptop. Running on an i5-430m plus HD5650M this thing can handle Wind Waker pretty much perfectly at 20-30 fps.

Didn't try the DX11 plugin yet though, I imagine with optimizations coming up this thing should handle the game even better at 40-50 fps in a year or two :D

Magnus said:
Hell yeah, just played with a Wiimote infront of the laptop, looks great on a 15.5 inch screen. I now know how Ben Heck feels everytime he finishes one of his projects.

Yep, PC->HDTV through HDMI here too.

I use it primarily for controller based games for the comfy couch factor. Works wonderfully.

I use my Android phone with RemoteDroid as a mouse and keyboard. That works surprising well for simple navigation.

georgc

I just got a new laptop and I want to see if I'm good to play some of my wii games. It's a i7 720 6 gigs ram. And a mobility radeon hd 5870 with a gig dedicated.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
georgc said:
I just got a new laptop and I want to see if I'm good to play some of my wii games. It's a i7 720 6 gigs ram. And a mobility radeon hd 5870 with a gig dedicated.
Yeah you're good :lol

Jin34

Easy_D said:
Huzzah! Got OpenCL working. Had to delete the dll's in the system folders and reinstall the StreamSDK, works fine now :D

So how does it work? I installed the StreamSDK and chose the OpenGL plugin but it runs slow as hell, I probably don't have OpenCL working properly.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Jin34 said:
So how does it work? I installed the StreamSDK and chose the OpenGL plugin but it runs slow as hell, I probably don't have OpenCL working properly.
Just because you have OpenCL doesn't mean everything will magically work faster you know, play around with the settings.

Personally, I find that the DX9 plugin gives much better framerates than the OpenGL one does.

mr_nothin

Banned
Ok, can someone explain all the excitement over OpenCL? I've been away for a few months. Also, how do I go about getting the new speed improvements? Are they just general optimizations or do I have to use a certain DirectX version or what?

Radeon 5770 on this pc right now...

Rur0ni

Seems pretty good so far. Purely emulated controls though. Need to hook my Wiimote and stuff up via the bluetooth or whatnot. Can easily replace my Wii.

Top Bottom