• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

vgamer1 said:
Not smash bros... it's very similar to the GC controller there, actually.

It's usable... but I just really hate the feel of the 360's face buttons. They don't feel designed to be pressed 100 times per minute. Also, the analog stick doesn't have the notches in it, so it's slightly harder to pull of smash moves.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, is it kind of sad that I'm looking forward to building a new computer just to run Dolphin?

atomsk

Party Pooper
morningbus said:
Man, is it kind of sad that I'm looking forward to building a new computer just to run Dolphin?

i need to upgrade my video card/ram and overclock my 2.8 to about 3, and i'll be good to go

... as soon as this stupid settlement check gets here, fucking lawyers

but yeah, upgrading pretty much for Dolphin

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bleepey said:
Of course!

Either call someone out for pirating games and we'll ban them if you're right (and you if you're not, naturally!), or get out of the thread if you're not interested in discussing the Dolphin emulator.

Elfish

TouchMyBox said:
I suppose I should have clarified... I need something to play Smash Bros on.

The Xbox 360 controller is kind of the worst controller ever for fighting games

Yeah, your cpu is somewhat lame, but not terrible either. If you're not overclocking already, try it out as it may help a lot.

If you're going to go out and buy a CPU specifically because you want to use Dolphin, You'd want to get a modern intel cpu that runs at a minimum of 3 GHz, I'd say. An e8400 would suffice, but I wouldn't recommend investing in a dead platform. Get a Core i5 750 and overclock it a bit. Or perhaps if you're feeling like a high roller, get a i7 930.

I use a phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6 on my main rig and it does a decent job running dolphin. You really want an intel chip since they have the full SSE4 instruction set, but if you don't want to invest in a new motherboard (and new ram) look up on the manufacturer's website as to what is the best AMD chip you can put in your motherboard. If it can take phenom IIs, you could do worse.

Thx for the info man.
I've always bought AMD though.
My last Intel was 10 years ago, a Celeron 400 ;)

Elfish said:
Thx for the info man.
I've always bought AMD though.
My last Intel was 10 years ago, a Celeron 400 ;)

Yeah man, I feel you. AMD parts have always treated me right. Apparently Bulldozer should bring AMD up to par with Intel as far as these emulators are concerned though.

I got incomplete answer on the last page so I will ask again - is it really best way to buy X360 wired for Windows, or is there a GCN-->USB adapter somewhere I can buy? I cannot imagine playing any of it using keyboard.

Castor Krieg said:
I got incomplete answer on the last page so I will ask again - is it really best way to buy X360 wired for Windows, or is there a GCN-->USB adapter somewhere I can buy? I cannot imagine playing any of it using keyboard.

I was just asking the same question ;)

Mouse and Keyboard is actually a surprisingly good control scheme for many Wii games, as you've already got the best pointer device money can buy. I actually prefer to play Mario Galaxy with K&B over wiimote+nunchuck. For other games though, I've just been using the Wii Classic Controller or a 360 controller though.

is a Phenom XII 555 good enough against an i5 if i clock it close to 4ghz. its under 100 now, and the whole intel socket business is looking like upgrades in the future may not happen within the same socket range like they did with the core duo series.

John

morningbus said:
You can't wait to drop almost $1000 so you can run ten-year-old games with anisotropic filtering?

Yeah, me too.

Nabs

Castor Krieg said:

there is a gamecube > usb adapter, but i don't know if there are any left on amazon. it's supposed to work pretty well.

John said:
You can't wait to drop almost $1000 so you can run ten-year-old games with anisotropic filtering?

Yeah, me too.
Ironic, considering the Wii and Gamecube combined didn't cost even half that. I'm having to hold out for a few years until high end PC parts are cheap enough to get a rig capable of running SMG and F-Zero GX at max settings for £500.

Ceebs

Krauser Kat said:
is a Phenom XII 555 good enough against an i5 if i clock it close to 4ghz. its under 100 now, and the whole intel socket business is looking like upgrades in the future may not happen within the same socket range like they did with the core duo series.
I have a X2 550 and have no trouble running most of this stuff once I overclock it. Half the games I have tried ran fine at stock speeds. Galaxy 2 for instance runs at about 40-50FPS @1440X900 at stock clock speeds. It does not take much to get it up to full speed.

Wozz

Neo Member
Wow awesome work.. Someone posted a link (im sure it was on this thread but I can't find it now) to a Build 5460 I think it was with a custom config..
Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart run 100% speed now so damn awesome (got no other games yet) at 1920x1200..
Only prob is when I was running latest builds I had a large rectangle in top left corner where everything in it was blurry, I saw a prev. post with someone having same issue and the suggestion was to try an earlier build though I didn't know what number to try..
Anyway with the current revision the problem is not nearly as pronounced, I didn't even notice it for about 30 min until I looked - its a smaller rectangle but it's not actually blurry, just has a purple tinge to everything in that top left corner.
Using D3D9 plugin, anyone else know a specific revision number that won't have this?

For those curious -
Q9400 @ 3.35Ghz, Sapphire 5970, 4gb RAM, Samsung 27" 1920x1200

Wozz

Neo Member
Wow awesome work.. Someone posted a link (im sure it was on this thread but I can't find it now) to a Build 5460 I think it was with a custom config..
Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart run 100% speed now so damn awesome (got no other games yet) at 1920x1200..
Only prob is when I was running latest builds I had a large rectangle in top left corner where everything in it was blurry, I saw a prev. post with someone having same issue and the suggestion was to try an earlier build though I didn't know what number to try..
Anyway with the current revision the problem is not nearly as pronounced, I didn't even notice it for about 30 min until I looked - its a smaller rectangle but it's not actually blurry, just has a purple tinge to everything in that top left corner.
Using D3D9 plugin, anyone else know a specific revision number that won't have this?

Ok just found the config im using, post #490 By Stallion Free

Since I know you are all hyped for Super Mario Galaxy 2, try out this pre-configed build I have been testing on SMG1 and let me know how it runs SMG1 for you. I hadn't been getting the FPS I had wanted on Nab's config, so I made a number of tweaks and it did improve the FPS for me.

http://www.mediafire.com/?udmjo4ymynt

Definately upped the FPS tho as I said SMG 2/mario kart is perfect, except for that purple tinge in top left corner of screen

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wozz said:
Ok just found the config im using, post #490 By Stallion Free

Definately upped the FPS tho as I said SMG 2/mario kart is perfect, except for that purple tinge in top left corner of screen
Use "disable fog" to fix the top left corner, I updated my Mario Kart config with that fix.

man this thread is amazing to browse through. If, hypothetically, Nintendo released a WiiHD, is this what the games would look like, or is that not how it works? Would it include GC games as well getting this kind of boost?

Aon

Should that custom config work on x86 machines? I tried to run it and it chrashed with a generic error message.

Ps: Thread is awesome.

Ninja Scooter said:
man this thread is amazing to browse through. If, hypothetically, Nintendo released a WiiHD, is this what the games would look like, or is that not how it works?

It depends on how powerful the Wii HD would be. Remember a long time ago when the PS3 could play PS2 games, even then the games didn't look nearly as good as they do running on PCSX2 (the PS2 emulator). Then again, there are those PS2 game collections for PS3 like God of War and Sly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Aon said:
Should that custom config work on x86 machines? I tried to run it and it chrashed with a generic error message.

Ps: Thread is awesome.
Nah, it's limited to 64-bit. You really should switch to a 64-bit OS btw.

Jin34

I don't see what's so special about that config, SMG2 runs at the same speed as the normal config I use. Dips to 30 on the Yoshi star galaxy.

jediyoshi

epic hair

dolphin2010-06-2203-17psaz.jpg

ggp759

Banned
Can someone recommend me a wireless sensor bar that i can use with the pc so i can use my reall wiimote? Thanks

npm0925

morningbus said:
Not really. I have yet to use my PC to run anything apart from souped-up versions of console games (GTA4, Mass Effect 2, Resident Evil 5, Batman, etc.). Apart from MMORPGs and the occasional worthwhile PC exclusive, that's the nature of PC gaming nowadays.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Getting a Sony Vaio tomorrow, was on sale for 700 euros. Includes i5 430m/HD 5650M

Fat chance on running this proper, tho I'm curious to see how far I can push things. The dude who sold me the thing said the processor actually overclocks temporarily if you want it too, I didn't know what he was talking about since I'm not familiar with the i processors.

Anyone been running this or PCSX2 on their notebooks? I love the idea of a portable gamecube! :lol

neoism

Guys, I really would like to try some of my games with this.. Can you just use the DVD drive, for Wii games, or do you have the make an iso... I suck at that stuff...?

Nabs

any wireless sensor bar will do. it doesn't actually communicate with the pc, just gives the wiimote a reference point. check the op for a recommendation from stallion free.

and you need a softmodded wii & hd to rip your games. there are some drives that work w/ wii games, but those are uncommon.

I decided to jump in as well, so I downloaded Dolphin and I am now playing Wind Waker in all it's High-Definition glory. I've got some slowdown when it gets busy on-screen, which is perfectly understandable given my outdated system specs and 32-bit version, but my god WOW! This is just amazing.

It was always a beautiful game but now the colors pop more, the ultra-hi-res quality of the visuals is just amazing. I never noticed things like that you can still see people strolling around Outset Island while standing on the bridge above it.

The only letdown I noticed up til now is something I already pointed out. Due to the slowdown jumps are not timed well so I just end up falling down.

Pizza Luigi said:
I decided to jump in as well, so I downloaded Dolphin and I am now playing Wind Waker in all it's High-Definition glory. I've got some slowdown when it gets busy on-screen, which is perfectly understandable given my outdated system specs and 32-bit version, but my god WOW! This is just amazing.

It was always a beautiful game but now the colors pop more, the ultra-hi-res quality of the visuals is just amazing. I never noticed things like that you can still see people strolling around Outset Island while standing on the bridge above it.

The only letdown I noticed up til now is something I already pointed out. Due to the slowdown jumps are not timed well so I just end up falling down.

What's your CPU?

If that means my processor (I suck at these things), it's the probably well know Quad-Core Q6600, but it's not overclocked. I believe I posted that on the first page of this thread as well.

I googled the overclocking but I'm afraid I will fry it because I don't know if my fan is strong enough. I'm just really careful about these things.

Anony

looking at the latest svn's, alot of the settings have changed

there's no option of gamecube pad plugins anymore from the options->configure menu
and when i go into the options->gamecube pad settings, there's no 360 option anymore

and as mentioned previously, there's no 2xAA anymore, lowest starts at 4 now

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dynamic3 said:
What game is this?

Also, is there an English version/patch for Xenoblade?
That game is SSB Brawl and there is an English version of Xenoblade coming out in the US at some point this year under the title "Monado: Beginning of the World"

Another shot from Brawl:

dolphin2010-05-2101-19w28i.jpg

Pizza Luigi said:
If that means my processor (I suck at these things), it's the probably well know Quad-Core Q6600, but it's not overclocked. I believe I posted that on the first page of this thread as well.

I googled the overclocking but I'm afraid I will fry it because I don't know if my fan is strong enough. I'm just really careful about these things.

Yep, that's what I was asking. :)

Just trying to gauge CPU requirements. That's clocked at 2.4GHz I believe.

Glix

Stallion Free said:
That game is SSB Brawl and there is an English version of Xenoblade coming out in the US at some point this year under the title "Monado: Beginning of the World"

Another shot from Brawl:

You wish buddy. We'll be lucky if we get it, surely not this year, or it would have gotten at least a mention at E3 :(

gregor7777 said:
Yep, that's what I was asking. :)

Just trying to gauge CPU requirements. That's clocked at 2.4GHz I believe.

It is clocked at 2.4GHz yes, that's right, I know as much. ;)

I though do not know if the slowdown in Wind Waker has anything to do with the CPU but I'm not really the one to know that.

Do you have an idea what could cause the slowdown and what I can do about it?

Top Bottom