• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Mithos

DSN2K said:
slightly off topic but going back a gen or 2 I've been playing with OOT again with the upgraded texture packs, very impressive stuff.

Texture pack link please... :D :D :D :D :D :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
John said:
Eh, other than the HUD, the original textures look better in HD. Those were blurred just right so that it's like it implies rather than states the environment. That just looks like they're bad textures, compared to games in 2010 anyway.

Cel shading hack looks much better than either.

ArjanN

Colkate said:
Nah no dice, set my settings to the exact same as linked from that video but still no luck, I've even tried a 4xxx revision that someone had already setup for Remake which they claimed works perfectly but again no luck.

Maybe it's your ISO then.

John

nyprimus2 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5eUwDgKaI&hd=1

sup

(720p and max screen that video + that guy's channel has the entire game played in widescreen HD with the HD textures)
That hasn't changed my opinion. Maybe it's my rose-tinted glasses.

Got Muramasa running ace with 9xMSAA and 60FPS with just the default config in the OP.

Dolphin2010-06-0718-32-30-21.jpg

Dolphin2010-06-0719-16-13-51.jpg

Only problem is that my controller (360) disconnects from Dolphin (not from my PC) every few minutes, requiring me to press OK on a Dolphin window (not in-game) and hope I don't get mauled in the meantime. It says the Wiimote disconnected, but I haven't got one.

Shawnishi

JADS said:
The first or the second game? I have some old screenshots up from my first playtrough of the second game back in februari.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19630234&postcount=2179
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19660925&postcount=2186

I still haven't found the correct settings for the game, it still crashes on boot without using EFB to ram and after taking pictures with the camera ingame. I also have some weird issues when playing the game with a real wiimote, like the quick time events not working correctly. jediyoshi how far are you into the game?
I didn't mind if it was the first or second, just wanted to see some nice underwater shots. :D Thanks.

I'm quite jealous of everyone with the specs to be doing this.

Nabs

John said:
Only problem is that my controller (360) disconnects from Dolphin (not from my PC) every few minutes, requiring me to press OK on a Dolphin window (not in-game) and hope I don't get mauled in the meantime. It says the Wiimote disconnected, but I haven't got one.

i'm guessing you set up your 360 controller to be your GC controller? i'd recommend setting it up to be your CC or wiimote. i'm not exactly sure why it happens, but thats how i deal with it.

Zeliard

What makes it even sadder is that the Wii has so many games with art styles that just pop when you have a cleaner, higher-res image.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
John said:
That hasn't changed my opinion. Maybe it's my rose-tinted glasses.

Got Muramasa running ace with 9xMSAA and 60FPS with just the default config in the OP.
Uh, the SSAA is kinda pointless in Muramasa because the only thing it is effecting is the health bar and maybe one or two other elements on the hud. AA won't effect the art in the game.

Jin34

Was wondering if it's true Intel CPUs are better for for Dolphin/emulation. I have a Phenom II X4 at 3.5ghz and I can get some drops to 30fps in SMG2 (720p) in the first Yoshi part for example. Just interested in the different framerates people are getting and their CPU/clock speed.

Jin34 said:
Was wondering if it's true Intel CPUs are better for for Dolphin/emulation. I have a Phenom II X4 at 3.5ghz and I can get some drops to 30fps in SMG2 (720p) in the first Yoshi part for example. Just interested in the different framerates people are getting and their CPU/clock speed.

It is indeed.

Jin34

brain_stew said:
It is indeed.

I take it is SSE4 that makes the difference? How much of a boost are we talking about? My Kuro's SD inputs stopped displaying an image and so I'm more interested in Dolphin as a serious replacement and not just a nice thing on the side.

These Nintendo HD threads are popular, I always click on them and marvel at the screenshots, can't wait for Nintendos next home console!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
intheinbetween said:
hey guy how will Dolphin run with these specs?

E8500
2GB DDR3 1066
ATI 4550
I have pretty much the same, save the GPU which is a HD5870 and twice the ram.

The CPU should be capable of running games smoothly, I can safely say Mario Sunshine and The Wind Waker run at very nice speeds, no overclocking.

Though you might have to fiddle with priority settings in the task manager to get rid of stuttering, I had to, at least. But you should give it a try :D

tehbear

John said:

You need to check the "reconnect wiimote on disconnect" part. Or better yet, disable wiimote and configure your 360 controller as a GC controller.

vazel

Banned
Wow is there no way to be able to play Zelda Four Swords multiplayer without GBAs on Dolphin? That was so stupid even on the original hardware. Fucking Nintendo what were they thinking. After playing through NSMB on Dolphin me and my friend were pumped for Four Swords and we come across that bullshit.

vazel said:
Wow is there no way to be able to play Zelda Four Swords multiplayer without GBAs on Dolphin? That was so stupid even on the original hardware. Fucking Nintendo what were they thinking. After playing through NSMB on Dolphin me and my friend were pumped for Four Swords and we come across that bullshit.

That... would probably require emulating not just one Gamecube, but four GBAs, too. It's not like the GBA was worthless in Four Swords; it ran a completely separate instance of the game when you went inside a cave and your three other buddies were still outside.

Don't count on it ever being supported, unless Dolphin magically becomes a Wii, GC and GBA emulator.

There's also the inherent problem of emulating all of that stuff all at once, keeping it synchronized, and having it run smoothly. I doubt many people could have a setup like that running well.

The only other solution would be some sort of USB-to-GBA connector to fake the GC-to-GBA data cable connection.

So I decided to install this on my new pc I built, and my god, it's so awesome. I was bummed when I tried to run my copy of eternal darkness though :(

Anyway, without having to read through the entire thread, I'm trying out the new Wiimote new plugin (Incomplete) to emulate the wiimote with my 360 controller. Does anyone have a recommended set up to do so. I don't really understand this Shake, Tilt nonsense. I understand that they are the wiimote gestures but I guess I cant' figure out the implementation on the pad.

Thanks!

Teetris said:
Can anyone do HD video/pics of Twin Snakes for me please? =)

If no one else posts any, I'll get a few shots up a bit later for ya!

jediyoshi

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So I decided to install this on my new pc I built, and my god, it's so awesome. I was bummed when I tried to run my copy of eternal darkness though :(

Anyway, without having to read through the entire thread, I'm trying out the new Wiimote new plugin (Incomplete) to emulate the wiimote with my 360 controller. Does anyone have a recommended set up to do so. I don't really understand this Shake, Tilt nonsense. I understand that they are the wiimote gestures but I guess I cant' figure out the implementation on the pad.

You configure the Gamecube Controller controls through the GCPad button on the toolbar. Stick with using the original control plugins, you change them in the options > configure > plugins section. Mapping shake/tilt is probably more simple than you're thinking. Just bind them like regular buttons.

jediyoshi said:
You configure the Gamecube Controller controls through the GCPad button on the toolbar. Stick with using the original control plugins, you change them in the options > configure > plugins section. Mapping shake/tilt is probably more simple than you're thinking. Just bind them like regular buttons.

I've got the Gamecube portion all set. Since I'm trying to use it as a Wiimote, I suppose where I'm getting confused is the necessity of Tilt and Shake in the games. I guess I'll just have to keep working out a config until I get something that makes sense. I was hoping someone had a config (no not a file) to share.

jediyoshi

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I suppose where I'm getting confused is the necessity of Tilt and Shake in the games.

Well for example if you wanted to play NSMB with a 360 pad (which requires a shake to pick up items, etc), you'd just map it to something like the Y button and hit Y whenever you needed to shake.

If you needed precise control over tilt to play something like Super Monkey Ball, you'd select Analog (1 or 2) on the dropdown next to Wiimote and you'd use that stick to control the tilt as if you were tilting an actual wiimote.

jediyoshi said:
Well for example if you wanted to play NSMB with a 360 pad (which requires a shake to pick up items, etc), you'd just map it to something like the Y button and hit Y whenever you needed to shake.

If you needed precise control over tilt to play something like Super Monkey Ball, you'd select Analog (1 or 2) on the dropdown next to Wiimote and you'd use that stick to control the tilt as if you were tilting an actual wiimote.

Alright, makes sense. It is more like a game-to-game config then it seems.

Nabs

i'm not totally sold on the latest revisions (i liked 2.5x ssaa) but fixing the luma texture problem is nice

lumalzpt.jpg

there is also a new dx11 plugin in the works (it should work w/ a dx10 card as well). it's very early, so no aa options that i can see... http://www.abload.de/img/dx119adu.jpg

jediyoshi

What's the deal with the first person view bug in SMG? It seems like it's fixed and then broken every revision. Works correctly with the DX11 plugin but playing without any AA just feels wrong ]:

Also, curse you HUD!

dolphin2010-06-1502-21xcj9.jpg

Top Bottom