• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Nabs

dark10x said:
Using 6gb of DDR3-1666 (Corsair) memory.

I'm only at 3.0GHz, but I guess I could try cranking it up a bit.

just wondering, but how much CPU does Dolphin use while running Galaxy?

darkwings

Banned
dark10x said:
Using 6gb of DDR3-1666 (Corsair) memory.

I'm only at 3.0GHz, but I guess I could try cranking it up a bit.

lol exactly the same memory I am using as well (12GB). Yeah you can atleast go to 3.5 with those settings no problems.

I found a good deal for a 2.8GHZ AMD Phenom™ II X6. Would that be good enough to run Dolphin full speed with games like Galaxy or is it better just to go with a 3.2GHZ Phenom X4? The clock speed bothers me a bit on the X6 when it comes to emulation for Dolphin and PCSX2.

spons

Gold Member
riceandbeans said:
I found a good deal for a 2.8GHZ AMD Phenom™ II X6. Would that be good enough to run Dolphin full speed with games like Galaxy or is it better just to go with a 3.2GHZ Phenom X4? The clock speed bothers me a bit on the X6 when it comes to emulation for Dolphin and PCSX2.
Dolphin probably runs faster on my ageing 3GHz dual-core E8400 than on that hexacore processor, unless you crank up the clock speed on it. Dolphin/PCSX2 only use 2 cores anyway.

lherre

Accurate
Yesterday I tried the emulator, pretty impressive.

My specs are a little outdated, I only have 20 fps more or less in NSMB.

Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz (I didn't try to make OC yet, but I think this type of processor can get 3 ghz easily)
4gb ram
8800 GT Dog tag edition (OC by default)

What can I do with this configuration?

vazel

Banned
NSMB runs fast on my budget e5200 at stock speed. Be sure to set enable efb copy to texture in the gpu plugin.

Durante

dark10x said:
What's up with the hitching? Take F-Zero, for instance. Right from the main menu you get these initial hitches (sound skipping, low framerate, almost like disc access problems) before it smooths out to 60 fps. Any ideas?
Generating and caching shader code and JIT'ed program fragments. Should go away after a few "hitches".

jediyoshi

dolphin2010-06-0103-256oc9.jpg

dolphin2010-06-0103-176rgu.jpg

dolphin2010-06-0103-18yrga.jpg

theluma

Can I request a screenshot from Galaxy 1 of Buoy Base Galaxy? Can't find a single decent quality image on the web :/

Nabs

Now that I've finished playing through Galaxy 2 (120 stars), I'll probably go in and take some shots. I'll try to keep the posts spoiler free, so I'll probably just post links w/ world number.

Dascu

How well does REmake run? Any issues, like sounds or music dropping? Graphical glitches? Lisa Trevor appearing in every single room?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dascu said:
How well does REmake run? Any issues, like sounds or music dropping? Graphical glitches? Lisa Trevor appearing in every single room?
Seems like a bad candidate due to pre-rendered backgrounds.

has anyone heard if there will be a sound fix coming for galaxy 1/2? i read something on the official forum that sound dev wasnt being worked on currently...?

EGM92

jamaniek said:
DC T4200 2,0GHz, 3GB 1066 DDR3, GF 9600M GS 512MB- Any chances?

Don't bother, unless it's a 2d side-scroller that doesn't need to render a lot even something like muramasa may struggle to achieve full speed

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nolookjones said:
has anyone heard if there will be a sound fix coming for galaxy 1/2? i read something on the official forum that sound dev wasnt being worked on currently...?
Yeah, they are doing a massive overhaul on the DSP-LLE plugin for sound which is much more accurate to the actual Wii. Ideally this will fix the Mario issues and a lot of other sound issues games encounter while also improving performance (the current LLE plugin runs slowly).

Red

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, they are doing a massive overhaul on the DSP-LLE plugin for sound which is much more accurate to the actual Wii. Ideally this will fix the Mario issues and a lot of other sound issues games encounter while also improving performance (the current LLE plugin runs slowly).
That's great news.

Jin34

Templar Wizard said:
Grrrrrrr, i crash on Galaxy2 about 2 seconds into the castle at the start :(

I crash when first going to use the Mario face ship (revision 5572) using the SMG1 settings.

Edit: Oookay, tried it again in windowed mode (1360x768) down from my native 1680x1050 and it didn't crash this time, weird. So try again under different conditions Templar, maybe it will work.

Jin34 said:
I crash when first going to use the Mario face ship (revision 5572) using the SMG1 settings.

Edit: Oookay, tried it again in windowed mode (1360x768) down from my native 1680x1050 and it didn't crash this time, weird. So try again under different conditions Templar, maybe it will work.

Was the crash a "black screen" while the sound continued to work?

If so then it's the same problem SMG1 has. You'll have to play it a low resolutions.

Jin34

Metalmurphy said:
Was the crash a "black screen" while the sound continued to work?

If so then it's the same problem SMG1 has. You'll have to play it a low resolutions.

Yup, before that it says: "FramebufferManager::Create FAIL: Create Color Texture"

jediyoshi

Didn't realize there were new video options in the new revs. I'm getting Uncharted 2 awesome moments all over the place.

dolphin2010-06-0419-38kfxv.jpg
dolphin2010-06-0419-57jclg.jpg

dolphin2010-06-0419-38ecst.jpg

:D

Fitz

Has anyone actually had the RE: Remake crashing on start up issue and managed to overcome it? I've been searching around for ages trying to find a solution but despite every supposed fix I find, I can't sort the issue, specifically that the emulator output just goes black and gives me an error message after the game shows the "gore" warning.

MNC

jediyoshi said:
dolphin2010-06-0103-256oc9.jpg

[imag]http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-06-0103-176rgu.jpg[/img]
[imag]http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-06-0103-18yrga.jpg[/img]
Holy freaking damn.

JADS

Shawnishi said:
More from Endless Ocean, please.

The first or the second game? I have some old screenshots up from my first playtrough of the second game back in februari.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19630234&postcount=2179
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19660925&postcount=2186

I still haven't found the correct settings for the game, it still crashes on boot without using EFB to ram and after taking pictures with the camera ingame. I also have some weird issues when playing the game with a real wiimote, like the quick time events not working correctly. jediyoshi how far are you into the game?

ArjanN

Colkate said:
Has anyone actually had the RE: Remake crashing on start up issue and managed to overcome it? I've been searching around for ages trying to find a solution but despite every supposed fix I find, I can't sort the issue, specifically that the emulator output just goes black and gives me an error message after the game shows the "gore" warning.

Gamecube or Wii version?

DSN2K

slightly off topic but going back a gen or 2 I've been playing with OOT again with the upgraded texture packs, very impressive stuff.

THE-LEGEND-OF-ZELDA-1.png

THE-LEGEND-OF-ZELDA-3.png

THE-LEGEND-OF-ZELDA-0.png

John

Eh, other than the HUD, the original textures look better in HD. Those were blurred just right so that it's like it implies rather than states the environment. That just looks like they're bad textures, compared to games in 2010 anyway.

Dynamic3

DSN2K said:
slightly off topic but going back a gen or 2 I've been playing with OOT again with the upgraded texture packs, very impressive stuff.

Any chance you would post a tutorial/config on how to do this? Even just getting OoT to run in widescreen aside from the texture pack would be appreciated.

ArjanN

Colkate said:

Colkate said:
The Gamecube version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEp9IAtZeVw

Top Bottom