• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

When exporting textures with D3D9, it exports PNG files.

When exporting textures with D3D11, it exports TGA files.

So the incompatibility comes with that they export differently and as a result, the file names may be different as well.

The two may just be wholly incompatible.
I'm running D3D11 and when dumping / loading textures it does so with PNG files.

What changed with the newest version of Dolphin is the folder to / from which it dumps / loads textures. If you don't move your textures over to the new folder (found in My Documents / Dolphin Emulator), then it won't work.

TheBear

Will my rig support dolphin?
i5, Gtx560ti & 8Gb ram

also, how difficult is it to get a 360 controller working for the wii games? Want to give Xenoblade a try.

Will my rig support dolphin?
i5, Gtx560ti & 8Gb ram

also, how difficult is it to get a 360 controller working for the wii games? Want to give Xenoblade a try.
Which gen i5?

It's not difficult at all to get your 360 working for wii games (assuming you've got the controller working with your PC in general).

Nemesis_

I'm starting to dabble in both N64 and GCN emulation right now and thankfull Dolphin runs a treat on my system.

Which just leaves controls - which is the best? I realise that the 360 controller is apparently the best but I would rather a wireless option (I have PS3, PS4 and Wii U Pro) instead.

Are any of these recommended? Are they easy to get set up? If I connect a 360 controller with a Play N Charge kit would that be the same as a wired one? Money is tight right now so I can't afford to go out and get a new one, unfortunately :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm starting to dabble in both N64 and GCN emulation right now and thankfull Dolphin runs a treat on my system.

Which just leaves controls - which is the best? I realise that the 360 controller is apparently the best but I would rather a wireless option (I have PS3, PS4 and Wii U Pro) instead.

Are any of these recommended? Are they easy to get set up? If I connect a 360 controller with a Play N Charge kit would that be the same as a wired one? Money is tight right now so I can't afford to go out and get a new one, unfortunately :(

To use a wireless 360 controller you need a Wireless dongle for your PC.

For the PS3, PS4, Wii Remote and Wii U Pro I believe you can use Bluetooth.

I'm certain about the PS3 and Wii Remote part, not 100% sure on the other two but pretty sure.

You could get a bluetooth dongle for your PC on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Of them all, the 360 is the most hassle free controller to use and set up.

Nemesis_

To use a wireless 360 controller you need a Wireless dongle for your PC.

For the PS3, PS4, Wii Remote and Wii U Pro I believe you can use Bluetooth.

I'm certain about the PS3 and Wii Remote part, not 100% sure on the other two but pretty sure.

You could get a bluetooth dongle for your PC on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Of them all, the 360 is the most hassle free controller to use and set up.

I actually have one of those dongles! I found it in an old laptop bag.

This is kind of a relief tbh. Now to get myself all set up.

JakeD

It's a 4xxx. I already have a 360 wireless controller running. Do I need drivers or anything like that?

you shouldn't. in your "wiimote settings" select "emulated wiimote" then configure. under extensions select "classic" then configure that. then bind to your 360 controller.

also - i haven't tried it, but theres custom textures to make the replace the button prompts with 360 buttons - https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Xenoblade_Chronicles#XBox_360_Button_Icons

Sentenza

make sure to overclock if you can. On my 4440 xenoblade drops below 12 fps almost constantly.
I have a 4560k and even without overclock it never, EVER drops under 30 fps. Is the difference this large?
According to what people said in the past, I thought those i5/i7 performed pretty much all the same.

I have a 4560k and even without overclock it never, EVER drops under 30 fps. Is the difference this large?
According to what people said in the past, I thought those i5/i7 performed pretty much all the same.
My CPU should be clocked at 3.1Ghz, and haswell supposedly should be good for emulation, but still...
If it sounds weird, tell me! I'd be glad to keep playing xenoblade on my PC :p

I'm trying to get back into Xenoblade Chronicles. Before, I was using the hacky Xenoblade build of Dolphin 3.5 to play the game, and it was relatively stable. I've since changed HDDs and switched to Windows 8.1. When I tried running my old Dolphin build the audio was completely messed up.

I figured I would go ahead and upgrade to Dolphin 4.0 since the hack is no longer needed for Xenoblade. Now I can't get my custom textures to load propery. In Direct3D mode, the textures are all messed up (see image below). In OpenGL mode I just get a black screen. Is there a good way to make Xenoblade work with custom textures in 4.0, or should I just try and get my 3.5 build to work again?

The custom textures only work on Direct 3D 9, if you choose Direct 3D 11 it bugs out.

paolo11

Question. Is it legal for me to ask about my hacked WiiU not being able to play my ISO games on my portable HDD in this thread? I just want to play safe.

Question. Is it legal for me to ask about my hacked WiiU not being able to play my ISO games on my portable HDD in this thread? I just want to play safe.

This isn't the thread for it. This is strictly about the dolphin emulator. Do a search for the Wii homebrew thread (since the Wii U HDD loader is technically just Wii homebrew running in virtual wii mode on the system).

So I'm giving Donkey Kong Country Returns a go in Dolphin and I get to the first silhouette stage, expecting things to look like this

i18uQ1OnSxZLV.jpg

but instead I get this, no matter what I try

Any ideas? Is there a certain projection hack I need to be using or do I just need to use a much older revision?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I'm giving Donkey Kong Country Returns a go in Dolphin and I get to the first silhouette stage, expecting things to look like this

but instead I get this, no matter what I try

Any ideas? Is there a certain projection hack I need to be using or do I just need to use a much older revision?

I believe it's either texture filtering or SSAA.

Edit: It's actually both! Don't use SSAA and disable "Force texture filtering" (it shouldn't have any benefit in this game anyway.

Oozer3993

After years of being vaguely interested in Dolphin, I finally bit the bullet today and gave it a shot. I modded my Wii (remarkably easy) so I could dump my games (again, remarkably easy). My first game under Dolphin was Super Mario Sunshine. It runs amazingly well on my bargain basement rig. Except for the sound. Using HLE, the sound is great for the first minute or so, then the last sound effect just starts looping and no other sound works. Using LLE, the frame rate struggles and the sound skips. Is there anything I can do to get HLE working? Specs:

Radeon HD 6850
Intel G860
8 GB RAM
Windows 8.1
Dolphin 4.0.2 x64

Hugstable

Banned
I've been trying out Dolphin recently since I got a new computer rig and wanted to play my old Tales of Symphonia discs since I heard that the new PS3 port runs at only 30fps. Whenever I try to play the game, the emulator is telling me I'm getting 60fps but it seems incredibly choppy like the frames are skipping or something. I've tried vsync on/off and I honestly have no idea why it's having problems like this. I even get sound crackling every once in a while.

My PC is
i5-4670k
GTX 770 4GB

I mean I run other games perfect on steam, but I'm confused as to how this game runs for everyone else. I just tried going into my Nvidia Control Panel and changed the power management mode from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance and it seemed to run a tiny bit better (also 61fps instead of 60, first thing I've changed that actually made somewhat of a difference). I'm worried about this setting though since it's a new computer and I don't want to be putting that much stress on the GPU (if it even does). Just really want to get this game working as I don't want to settle for the new PS3 port, but right now I'm thinking I may have too, since constant 30fps is still better than a choppy unstable 60fps with sound crackles. I'm on the newest dolphin also 4.0.2

So I got a new laptop from the office (surprisingly it is fair-spec'd) and I instantly wanted to try Dolphin Emulator and Xenoblade Chronicles...

The specs are:

i7-4500U 1.8GHz upto 2.40GHz
8GB RAM
AMD 8800M series 2GB GDDR5 + Intel HD 4400

Wanted to know which configuration would be best to optimally play the game? 720p is no issue for me (the native res of laptop is 1366x768)

Also D3D9 or D3D11?

Garteal

I've been trying out Dolphin recently since I got a new computer rig and wanted to play my old Tales of Symphonia discs since I heard that the new PS3 port runs at only 30fps. Whenever I try to play the game, the emulator is telling me I'm getting 60fps but it seems incredibly choppy like the frames are skipping or something. I've tried vsync on/off and I honestly have no idea why it's having problems like this. I even get sound crackling every once in a while.

My PC is
i5-4670k
GTX 770 4GB

I mean I run other games perfect on steam, but I'm confused as to how this game runs for everyone else. I just tried going into my Nvidia Control Panel and changed the power management mode from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance and it seemed to run a tiny bit better (also 61fps instead of 60, first thing I've changed that actually made somewhat of a difference). I'm worried about this setting though since it's a new computer and I don't want to be putting that much stress on the GPU (if it even does). Just really want to get this game working as I don't want to settle for the new PS3 port, but right now I'm thinking I may have too, since constant 30fps is still better than a choppy unstable 60fps with sound crackles. I'm on the newest dolphin also 4.0.2
What settings etc are you using and have you tried the latest build?
The fact that you're getting audio crackles means that you're not maintaining a stable 60FPS for some reason.

So I got a new laptop from the office (surprisingly it is fair-spec'd) and I instantly wanted to try Dolphin Emulator and Xenoblade Chronicles...

The specs are:

i7-4500U 1.8GHz upto 2.40GHz
8GB RAM
AMD 8800M series 2GB GDDR5 + Intel HD 4400

Wanted to know which configuration would be best to optimally play the game? 720p is no issue for me (the native res of laptop is 1366x768)

Also D3D9 or D3D11?
That 4500U will turbo boost up to 3GHz on one core, but since Dolphin is primarily a dual-core application you'll get to 2.8GHz or so on two cores if you aren't overheating.

You should be able to play Xenoblade fine for the most part with that setup. Not sure which exact GPU that is, but you should be able to set the internal resolution to x2 at least.

As for D3D9 vs D3D11. Do know that D3D9 has been removed after 4.0.2. The next stable release won't have it anymore. You're better off using OpenGL for the most part or D3D11 if it works better for you.

That 4500U will turbo boost up to 3GHz on one core, but since Dolphin is primarily a dual-core application you'll get to 2.8GHz or so on two cores if you aren't overheating.

You should be able to play Xenoblade fine for the most part with that setup. Not sure which exact GPU that is, but you should be able to set the internal resolution to x2 at least.

As for D3D9 vs D3D11. Do know that D3D9 has been removed after 4.0.2. The next stable release won't have it anymore. You're better off using OpenGL for the most part or D3D11 if it works better for you.

It's the 8850m (according to the clock speed which shows 625mhz)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sorry to post this but how do I set up my sensor bar on my laptop so I can play Skyward Sword and SMG?

If it's wired you gotta connect it to your Wii and turn your Wii on.

If it's wireless then just put it down there and you're good.

XDDX

I've been trying to run Luigi's Mansion on Dolphin but I get frame drops as soon as i start using the vaccum. It's a solid 30fps and then drops to anywhere between 20-25fps with the vaccum. Anyone know why it's doing this?

Running it on an i5 760 and 650ti.

finalflame

Gold Member
I've been trying to run Luigi's Mansion on Dolphin but I get frame drops as soon as i start using the vaccum. It's a solid 30fps and then drops to anywhere between 20-25fps with the vaccum. Anyone know why it's doing this?

Running it on an i5 760 and 650ti.

I'd venture a guess that the i5-760, being a first gen i5, just isn't holding up to whatever heavier calculations is needed for emulating the use of the vacuum. My i7-870 had trouble with a lot of the heavier GC/Wii games.

Dr. Buni

Tried to run Dolphin with a i7-2600 and without any dedicated GPU. All the games I've tried run perfectly in native resolution, some of them run perfectly at 2x also.

Can't wait to buy a GPU to run the games with some other graphical enhancements.

Sajjaja

I can't seem to get Viewtiful Joe to look clean. I have antialiasing on max, anisotrophic filtering as well. Widescreen hack enabled. Internal resolution is auto (windows size), D3D11, fullscreen resolution 1360x768, aspect ratio is force 16:9. Help? First time using dolphin. It still looks all jagged and blurry.

My specs:
FX 6350
R7 260X
8GB RAM
1TB HDD

mace999

Neo Member
I'm playing my 1st game on the Dolphin and it's glorious ...... Xenoblade Chronicles is so much better than the Wii version, I tried playing it on the Wii but couldn't get over the shitty graphics ..... Now playing it 1080p it's amazing

Don't know why I took so long to try Dolphin, I thought you had to have a beast of a computer to play it but it runs fine on my i5 and Nvidia 560ti

I can't seem to get Viewtiful Joe to look clean. I have antialiasing on max, anisotrophic filtering as well. Widescreen hack enabled. Internal resolution is auto (windows size), D3D11, fullscreen resolution 1360x768, aspect ratio is force 16:9. Help? First time using dolphin. It still looks all jagged and blurry.

My specs:
FX 6350
R7 260X
8GB RAM
1TB HDD

Set the internal resolution to 3x or 4x.

I can't for the life of me get Xenoblade working to a good framerate. Even at 1:1 resolution, it runs around 17 fps.

The audio stuttering is a problem too.

I've tried Googling and doing the solutions that various forums have suggested to no avail.

I bought my gaming laptop in 2010. It was top of the line then but maybe it's getting too old to do stuff like this. Though I can run PCSX2 without problems?

I think I'm going to go back to playing it on Wii. I really want to play this game in hi res but the slow framerate just saps any enjoyment out of it.

Garteal

It's the 8850m (according to the clock speed which shows 625mhz)
I see, that'll get you up to 4x internal resolution depending on the game. There will be a merge to the master soon which will increase the GPU requirements a bit. AMD users will be affected less than NVIDIA users.

Hey guys, would a Core i5 3350P and a GTX 660 run games with a high resolution?
Yes, your GPU is fast enough to handle 4x internal resolutions in all games. You can even crank up some AA depending on the game.

I can't for the life of me get Xenoblade working to a good framerate. Even at 1:1 resolution, it runs around 17 fps.

The audio stuttering is a problem too.

I've tried Googling and doing the solutions that various forums have suggested to no avail.

I bought my gaming laptop in 2010. It was top of the line then but maybe it's getting too old to do stuff like this. Though I can run PCSX2 without problems?

I think I'm going to go back to playing it on Wii. I really want to play this game in hi res but the slow framerate just saps any enjoyment out of it.
It depends on your specs, game and what build of the emulator you're using. There are also games that are 'tough' on PCSX2 such as Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have a i53570k, 760 2gb, 8gb RAM.

I just ripped DKCR on my wii using CleanRip.

Dolphin is 4.0.2

The game loads ok, but when I try to start a file, it freezes at the clouds when heading to the world map.

Where should my troubleshooting begin? I have tried a few different options, but nothing has worked so far.

Dr. Buni

The map issue in Twilight Princess (GC) is really annoying. If I try to fix it as suggested on dolphin wiki, the framerate goes to 20fps at most (even at 1:1 res). If I don't, I can't see shit on both mini and the full maps. I really wanted to play it, since I stopped playing it on the last dungeon and never got to properly finish this gem. ;_;

Top Bottom