• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Really? Weird!

Well then if anyone would have the original image it'd probably be you.

Yep, I went digging:

dolphin2010-04-2718-51wq1w.png

Dolphin runs fantastic on my rig. Sonic Colors is the only game with lag issues. I may post some screenshots of games not listed on the OP. As a hint, getting the Flingsmash bundle gives you a Wiimote that works with Skyward Sword With no TB Stack.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Haven't seen this great news posted yet: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/03/15/pixel-processing-problems/

This is a fairly technical article, but it is written well enough such that even non technical people should be able to follow pretty well. In short, expect a lot of graphical glitches to be fixed now.

this is a great writeup! thanks for sharing!

It reminds me of one of the very first lessons I learned when I started taking programming classes: how computationally expensive some operations that look completely harmless can be.

I remember thinking this:

Code:
int x;
double y=x;
or this:
Code:
float y;
cout<<4.0*int(y);

was as trivial as throwing away the decimal part, or adding a bunch of pointless zeros and a decimal point, which is what we do in our head when making the conversion.

NOPE

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The post on Reddit says it was enb. He's just not using bloom like most people.

I think the original poster may have been mistaken.

Regardless of that, there's nothing I see in the image specific to ENB that wouldn't be done with SweetFx. It just looks like he increased the vibrance/saturation.

If it's the one from this thread

http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1680&start=10

Then he's definitely using sweetFx, possibly in collaboration with ENB but I'm not sure what ENB features he's even adding.

Haven't seen this great news posted yet: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/03/15/pixel-processing-problems/

This is a fairly technical article, but it is written well enough such that even non technical people should be able to follow pretty well. In short, expect a lot of graphical glitches to be fixed now.

Thanks for sharing. It was a totally interesting read and seems huge.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Thanks for sharing. It was a totally interesting read and seems huge.

If you notice the last part of the article where various blocks of the rendering pipeline are colored to show how they were affected by the switch to integer pixel math, there are two blocks colored yellow, meaning it is now possible to improve them as well in a future release based on this one.

I'm not certain about this, but there are two very popular games that just might see significant improvement as a result of those yellow blocks being addressed.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If you notice the last part of the article where various blocks of the rendering pipeline are colored to show how they were affected by the switch to integer pixel math, there are two blocks colored yellow, meaning it is now possible to improve them as well in a future release based on this one.

I'm not certain about this, but there are two very popular games that just might see significant improvement as a result of those yellow blocks being addressed.

For a second I thought you were talking about the Galaxy games, then I remembered it was the GPU pipeline, not audio (Whatever it's called) pipeline.

I finally figured out why my controller wasn't able to have both triggers working at the same time.

It turns out I didn't have one of the dropdown menus specifically set to the 360 gamepad. Instead it was on some default gamepad setting that didn't let you configure the triggers correctly.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
For a second I thought you were talking about the Galaxy games, then I remembered it was the GPU pipeline, not audio (Whatever it's called) pipeline.

to be clear, this is just a guess on my part. I don't have any inside information.

but I'm thinking about 2 gamecube games that may benefit a lot from improvements in culling and z-sorting.

aravuus

Seems like Xenoblade runs perfectly now with a new GPU and a Dolphin build specifically for it, time to replay it in HD soon I think

It did crash once already during a cutscene though, hope it's not frequent

Seems like Xenoblade runs perfectly now with a new GPU and a Dolphin build specifically for it, time to replay it in HD soon I think

It did crash once already during a cutscene though, hope it's not frequent

Should be picking up my copy tomorrow from Argos here in the UK although will be playing through my WiiU instead of Dolphin.

Zoolader

I haven't been keeping up to date but just read somewhere that the heat distortion issues in Wind Waker have been resolved!! This is great, time for another play through if this is true!

aravuus

Should be picking up my copy tomorrow from Argos here in the UK although will be playing through my WiiU instead of Dolphin.

I've heard it looks great on the Wii U too, so have fun!

I'm definitely skipping most if not all of the side quests this time around, they really burned me last time

Pachimari

How do I play these games in full-screen?

I mean, my games are in full-screen but I can see the window around it and the Windows taskbar at the bottom.

Also, how do I run my Gamecube and Wii game in widescreen and HD?

PGamer

fucking juniors
How do I play these games in full-screen?

I mean, my games are in full-screen but I can see the window around it and the Windows taskbar at the bottom.

Check "Use Fullscreen" in the graphics configuration screen.

Also, how do I run my Gamecube and Wii game in widescreen and HD?

To run in HD change the internal resolution in the enhancements tab. 2x native and up is HD.

Widescreen can depend on the game. If the game natively supports widescreen change the aspect ratio to "Force 16:9" if you're having problems. If it doesn't natively support widescreen also check "Widescreen Hack" in the enhancements tab. This can cause issues though.

BIGWORM

Finally got my i5 4670 @ 4.0. Wow, it's so nice to play SMG2 in HD smoothly. Looks glorious. I'm only using a 360 controller right now though, with the wiimote pointer on the right stick.

I had sold my Wii a while back, but I just picked up another (for $40! so good) and have been getting back into playing with Dolphin a bit too.

About the Widescreen hack: In games like Wind Waker, I've noticed that in widescreen mode certain objects don't actually load in until they reach the standard 4:3 area of the screen, even though you can see the environment and stuff past that range. Is there a fix for this or is it just a limitation for how the games are made?

One of these days I need to look into overclocking my CPU too. I can play Mario Galaxy at a smooth framerate and high resolution and it looks INCREDIBLE, but unfortunately that's with the sound setting that makes the music stop playing after a while. With the more accurate sound setting I only get a smooth framerate at below 720p and even then the framerate and audio both stutter and it's not a great experience. Same situation with Metroid Trilogy.

I've been playing those games straight on the Wii and I'm still really loving them, but MAN do they have some jaggies! I remember I played about 20-30 hours of Paper Mario on the 3DS and when I switched back to PC gaming it was like I couldn't see aliasing anymore even without any on, it was amazing!

Nabs

Wind Waker now has a widescreen cheat that should be a bit better than the standard widescreen hack. It's an AR code that you can enable by right clicking the game and going into the properties. Just remember to enable cheats and to force 16:9.

Wind Waker now has a widescreen cheat that should be a bit better than the standard widescreen hack. It's an AR code that you can enable by right clicking the game and going into the properties. Just remember to enable cheats and to force 16:9.

Nice! I'll definitely have to try that out once I finish up with Mario Galaxy.

Anyone have some good settings to use for Resident Evil Archives? Just started using Dolphin for the first time and it work awesome with Muramasa but I seem to get some hiccups here and there for REmake.

SummitAve

Banned
Finally got my i5 4670 @ 4.0. Wow, it's so nice to play SMG2 in HD smoothly. Looks glorious. I'm only using a 360 controller right now though, with the wiimote pointer on the right stick.

How does the 360 controller work for that? I'm tempted to switch to that for games that don't require a lot of pointing.

Anyone have some good settings to use for Resident Evil Archives? Just started using Dolphin for the first time and it work awesome with Muramasa but I seem to get some hiccups here and there for REmake.
Not performance related, but I recommend rendering the game at native resolution with high SSAA, it makes the models blurrier/softer and fit into the low-res pre-rendered background a lot better.

The games I'd be interested in are the two No More Heroes and MadWorld, I've heard those run like ass though, is that true?

Also, slightly off topic, but how does Wii U w/ upscaling compare to Wii w/ component cables? For the same games I guess.

Decado

The games I'd be interested in are the two No More Heroes and MadWorld, I've heard those run like ass though, is that true?

Also, slightly off topic, but how does Wii U w/ upscaling compare to Wii w/ component cables? For the same games I guess.

It was an older version of Dolphin, but I played MadWorld and it looked and ran fine. Problem is the controls...without a Wii remote it is a total pain in the ass. Was trying it with a 360 controller.

Harro

Can someone confirm Sweet FX working on Dolphin 4.0 > ?

It works on the previous version but nothing happens when I try with 4.0.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can someone confirm Sweet FX working on Dolphin 4.0 > ?

It works on the previous version but nothing happens when I try with 4.0.

SweetFx is for DX9, so I don't think it will work with Dolphin any longer since they switched to DX11.

Mesoian

Do I need anything special to play Mario Galaxy with all the motion stuff removed? I'm assuming yes

No lie, it was easier to just bite the bullet and go buy a bluetooth dongle for 8 bucks so I could use real wiimotes than it was to remap everything to play galaxy appropriately.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
No lie, it was easier to just bite the bullet and go buy a bluetooth dongle for 8 bucks so I could use real wiimotes than it was to remap everything to play galaxy appropriately.

Yeah but it's also not that hard to map everything to play galaxy appropriately either.

I got it working with my dualshock 4 via bluetooth, no need for silly waggle :)

I can tell I'm in for a treat, this game is already fun as hell and I only just passed the handholding intro.

It's actually 60, but the game pauses when I hit my fraps screenshot key (some global pause hotkey in dolphin I guess)

now I just need to find that DKCR roll fixing hack and a copy of Xenoblade and I'll be all caught up on Wii games I missed

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's actually 60, but the game pauses when I hit my fraps screenshot key (some global pause hotkey in dolphin I guess)

now I just need to find that DKCR roll fixing hack and a copy of Xenoblade and I'll be all caught up on Wii games I missed

What roll fixing hack?

Top Bottom