• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Sanjay said:
Playing SMG on Dolphin is like having sex with a prostitute, theres zero bond, zero connection, zero warmth because of the no background music bug but it looks so goooooood:D
You sure know your stuff when it comes to prostitutes :O

JADS

KAL2006 said:
Question is it possible to play

Tales of Symphonia GameCube full speed on:
4870 1GB
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz (i think I can overclock that to 3.2GHz though)
4GB RAM

also what other games will work fullspeed on my hardware

ToS isn't working correctly.The background music isn't working, missing instruments sounds and graphical effects aren't up to what they should be.

So I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Animal Crossing: City Folk played so badly on Dolphin on my computer. Then I happened to uncheck the "Enable USB keyboard" option under Wii in Config. Now it runs at full speed. So in case anyone else runs into a similar problem, there it is!

Animal Crossing works really well on Dolphin with a mouse, I have to say. I still might bust out my old GameCube-controller-to-USB adapter down the line, though, if only because my Logitech G5 clicks so loudly and Animal Crossing is such a quiet game.

So my friend and I are trying to get multiplayer to work in Brawl using Dolphin, but with two Wiimotes connected, we've never been able to get both characters to control properly. Here's a screen shot of what's happening.

2j671ur.png

Notice how it's not recognizing player one? What are we doing wrong?

GaussTek

Mr. Wonderful said:
So my friend and I are trying to get multiplayer to work in Brawl using Dolphin, but with two Wiimotes connected, we've never been able to get both characters to control properly. Here's a screen shot of what's happening.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2j671ur.png[IMG]

Notice how it's not recognizing player one? What are we doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, you need to go to the Dolphin Config, select GameCube and then go to Port 1 and select there "Nothing" instead "Standard Controller".

Edit. Actually I don't know if that could be the cause, but try that anyway.

jediyoshi

GaussTek said:
AFAIK, you need to go to the Dolphin Config, select GameCube and then go to Port 1 and select there "Nothing" instead "Standard Controller".

Edit. Actually I don't know if that could be the cause, but try that anyway.

This. Pretty sure GC controllers take priority as far as Brawl is concerned.

JADS

How About No said:
My god. It makes the original TP look like OoT :lol

Basically what Nintendo should have done with the Wii version instead of the lazy tacked on Gamecube port :lol. I hope the texture pack is released, can't wait to play trough TP with those graphics, especially since the Hyrule field bug has been fixed and TP is now completely playable.

I haven't yet tried out Dolphin, but I'm just about to get a new computer that should be able to do it.

The question I have is whether or not F-Zero GX has been fixed to resolve some of the issues like its story mode not working.

Also, how well do the Pikmins and Mario Sunshine work with Dolphin?

JADS

Rodney McKay said:
I haven't yet tried out Dolphin, but I'm just about to get a new computer that should be able to do it.

The question I have is whether or not F-Zero GX has been fixed to resolve some of the issues like its story mode not working.

Mario Sunshine runs really well (Here are some screenshots and here is a youtube movie), there are some issues though but these can easily be fixed. One major thing that doesn't work is the widescreen hack, so no 16x9 resolution. Pikmin I have not tested yet, according to the dolphin forums it should work.

Nabs

Rodney McKay said:

I'm not sure how well Story Mode works, but I was able to play the first chapter. It doesn't crash when you select it.

Like JADS said, Sunshine works great.

sunshine1rfw8.jpg

sunshine2jcym.jpg

[Nintex]

This is quite amazing as well(from the same texture pack)

Dolphin2010-08-0120-16-56-96.jpg

Dolphin2010-08-0120-07-13-85.jpg

I'll never understand why TP has textures that would look out of place on N64 in certain areas. They had to work really hard to make the textures that ugly.

vazel

Banned
The game maxed out the GCN's mini-dvd storage size. Yea the textures were ass. The game also has the worst dithering I've seen in any GCN/Wii game.

Is there a way to backup your Wii games to your PC without using a Wii console? I want to start Mario Galaxy 2 again but am unable to since my Wii sensor is busted apparently. How would I go about backing it up to my PC to use with Dolphin?

Red

brain_stew said:
The textures in TP never fail to crack me up. :lol
The entire in-game world looks like it was dragged through a mud pit and coated in vaseline. I often liked the layout of areas and the art direction in general, but yes, those textures are horrid.
LovingSteam said:
Is there a way to backup your Wii games to your PC without using a Wii console? I want to start Mario Galaxy 2 again but am unable to since my Wii sensor is busted apparently. How would I go about backing it up to my PC to use with Dolphin?
You need an LG-8164b, LG-8163b, LG-8162b, or LG-8161b DVD drive. Not sure what others might work.

JADS

LovingSteam said:

Do you own a LG-8164b or LG-8163b or LG-8162b or LG-8161b dvd drive? If so http://wiki.nintendo-scene.com/index.php?title=Wii_Disc_Backup. What do you mean with Wii sensor exactly though?

Zomba13

LovingSteam said:
Got a classic controller? You could use that to get into the homebrew channel/the disc backup thing. Other than that you'll have to buy a certain LG dvd drive. Cant remember what ones though.

Zomba13 said:
Got a classic controller? You could use that to get into the homebrew channel/the disc backup thing. Other than that you'll have to buy a certain LG dvd drive. Cant remember what ones though.

Or just stick a couple of candles beside your Tv for the time being.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
vazel said:
The game maxed out the GCN's mini-dvd storage size. Yea the textures were ass. The game also has the worst dithering I've seen in any GCN/Wii game.
You must not have played Wind Waker or Excite Truck then because those games are far worse with dithering. Those new pics look fantastic btw. I hope Nintendo pulls out all the stops for their next console.

JADS

LovingSteam said:
When I try to load the discs, the screen just goes black. It happens with every Wii game I have tried. I loaded them fine on my inlaws Wii.

Maybe your Wii's diskdrive has kicked the bucket, does the same happen when you run Wiiware or VC games? Is your Wii homebrew enabled?

JADS

LovingSteam said:
Yes. It's homebrew enabled. When I play Wiiware and VC games its fine.

Do you have access to an external HD? See if you can use an USB loader to dump your discs, those should work fine with dolphin. As long as they are in ISO format.

JADS said:
Do you have access to an external HD? See if you can use an USB loader to dump your discs, those should work fine with dolphin. As long as they are in ISO format.

Nope. Also, its weird. When I try to start Super Mario Galaxy 2 or anyother Wii game, my Wii mote shuts off, and the console just freezes. I have to manually turn it off and then on again. The same thing occurred when I tried to get out of the Homebrew channel.

Zomba13

evlcookie said:
Looks like Metroid M works well under dolphin? Looks stunning.
Speaking of M:OM, I can't wait to see how it looks/runs on dolphin. Still don't know if I'm going to get it though.

Red

Zomba13 said:
Speaking of M:OM, I can't wait to see how it looks/runs on dolphin. Still don't know if I'm going to get it though.
As soon as I get it, I'm trying it on Dolphin. Hopefully there are no major issues. Would love to play through it in HD.

Top Bottom