• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Crunched said:
As soon as I get it, I'm trying it on Dolphin. Hopefully there are no major issues. Would love to play through it in HD.
I was looking at the Dolphin forums a couple of days ago and some asshole with a pirated copy made a post saying that it ran decently. I went to link it here but it seems mods deleted it off of their boards. But the dude posted screens in 720p so I am assuming it works.

Red

darkressurection said:
I was looking at the Dolphin forums a couple of days ago and some asshole with a pirated copy made a post saying that it ran decently. I went to link it here but it seems mods deleted it off of their boards. But the dude posted screens in 720p so I am assuming it works.
Sounds promising.

It will be a good Tuesday.

Portugeezer

Cow Mengde said:
I got this screen shot in the e-mail today.

1.jpg
HOLY SHIiiiiiT

Wish my computer could run that.

WillyFive

The highres texture packs for OoT never looked good, but it makes a HUGE difference for TP!

Tournament of Legends also looks fantastic in HD, and I want to see more of The Crystal Bearers!

NHL 2K11 works in older revisions (r5899 and earlier), but the depth buffer seems to be broken.. and only runs at 50% speed on my i5-750@2.67ghz (with Panic Handlers disabled, and using D3D 9 -- everything unchecked except: efb scaled copy, disable fog, enable efb copy -> to texture and DSP-HLE, don't enable audio throttle)

SH3E54-16.jpg

More pictures: http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/2k11/?start=all

edit: NHL 2K11 actually works up to r6122. Seems like they broke it in r6123.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm planning on screenshotting as much as I can play of Metroid: Other M in Dolphin when it releases this week. Hopefully the game is completable. Skydrives have these really this really slick slide show feature for folders that have pictures (it mattes the picture against the most prominent color in the picture) so I'll put most of what I take there and pick out favs to post here in full as I go along. I can't fucking wait for the game.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Stallion Free said:
I'm planning on screenshotting as much as I can play of Metroid: Other M in Dolphin when it releases this week. Hopefully the game is completable. Skydrives have these really this really slick slide show feature for folders that have pictures (it mattes the picture against the most prominent color in the picture) so I'll put most of what I take there and pick out favs to post here in full as I go along. I can't fucking wait for the game.

pirate (?) already tried it and it looks really weird. could be his/her pc tho

JADS

Cruceh said:
Is he only doing the GC version? :\

Left handed Link = superior version. I haven't seen any of the Other M videos or screenshots and I plan to keep it that way. I don't want to be spoiled by anything.

Cruceh

Banned
Maybe I'll wait for the texture pack before I beat TP. Just finished the Forest Temple, but textures are pretty awful. How much do these projects usually take

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cruceh said:
Maybe I'll wait for the texture pack before I beat TP. Just finished the Forest Temple, but textures are pretty awful. How much do these projects usually take
Generally a very long time and they are sometimes never finished. I also want to point out that he is getting 15 frames a second there. It might destroy performance.

JADS

Stallion Free said:
Generally a very long time and they are sometimes never finished. I also want to point out that he is getting 15 frames a second there. It might destroy performance.

He is getting 16 frames without the texture pack though, most likely his computer isn't fast enough to run the game.

carlosp

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
NHL 2K11 works in older revisions (r5899 and earlier), but the depth buffer seems to be broken.. and only runs at 50% speed on my i5-750@2.67ghz (with Panic Handlers disabled, and using D3D 9 -- everything unchecked except: efb scaled copy, disable fog, enable efb copy -> to texture and DSP-HLE, don't enable audio throttle)

SH3E54-16.jpg

More pictures: http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/2k11/?start=all

i know psx titles which look better then this.

carlosp said:
i know psx titles which look better then this.
If it rendered properly (seeing the gloves and legs through the body and the empty crowd are an emulation glitch) I think it'd look fine, at least from the gameplay camera angle.

Cruceh said:
Is he only doing the GC version? :\

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same game. If GC version works, it'll probably work for the Wii version. Well, maybe the textures are named differently. I don't know, go to the link and ask the guy making it.

Doomsayer said:
That's Darkside Chronicles? What the fuck? I wish I knew that before I sold my Wii. That looks damn near incredible.

I've got it on the Wii. Doesn't look anywhere as good as those screenshots. The low, blurry resolution hurts it.

Luigiv

riceandbeans said:
I've got it on the Wii. Doesn't look anywhere as good as those screenshots. The low, blurry resolution hurts it.
Not all HDTV internal up-scalers are built equal. Whilst no up-scaler is going to get the game to look as good as it does in Dolphin, on a decent TV the game still looks quite pretty.

IrishNinja

hey guys - quick question, as im looking at gaming laptops/desktop replacements and hoping to emulate PS2 and mebbe GC along the way...what do you think of this, for running Killer 7, Wind Waker, Paper Mario, mebbe RE4? is it up to snuff, or whats lacking?

i was looking at a cheaper dualcore, and the PS2 emulation thread said id have trouble with SoTC and a few others, as emus apparently rely more on CPU than GPU, im told.

JADS

IrishNinja said:
hey guys - quick question, as im looking at gaming laptops/desktop replacements and hoping to emulate PS2 and mebbe GC along the way...what do you think of this, for running Killer 7, Wind Waker, Paper Mario, mebbe RE4? is it up to snuff, or whats lacking?

i was looking at a cheaper dualcore, and the PS2 emulation thread said id have trouble with SoTC and a few others, as emus apparently rely more on CPU than GPU, im told.

The i7 720Q should emulate most GC and Wii stuff if you can force it to run at 2.8 Ghz. Otherwise, running at 1.6Ghz will be inadequate for most games except for maybe some 2D and some early 3D games. Dolphin does not benefit from more than two cores, chances are it will stay that way, so a quad core is kinda pointless for emularing GC and Wii. As long as you stay away from integrated graphics or extreme low end your GPU will not make much of a difference.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mikespit1200 said:
How does Other M run? 60fps?
Drops to 40 when the next room is loading/there is alot of effects, otherwise 60 fps. The cutscenes go black at random points and will drop below their 30 fps target. Prerender cutscenes run fine. Sound occassionally crackles, but is otherwise fine.

It's crazy what a resolution boost and some AA can do to a game. I've been disappointed by the graphics in a lot of areas, but after seeing that, I might have to rethink about that. The details in Samus's armor really come out. Looking forward to more screenshots in the later sections.

Reallink

JADS said:
The i7 720Q should emulate most GC and Wii stuff if you can force it to run at 2.8 Ghz. Otherwise, running at 1.6Ghz will be inadequate for most games except for maybe some 2D and some early 3D games. Dolphin does not benefit from more than two cores, chances are it will stay that way, so a quad core is kinda pointless for emularing GC and Wii. As long as you stay away from integrated graphics or extreme low end your GPU will not make much of a difference.

Dual Core TB runs at 2.4 Ghz on the 720qm, and forcing it in dolphin (locking threads to cores) actually yielded worse performance than the default where presumably Windows manages all the cores/threads at lower clocks. Admittedly, I only tested it once or twice, and this was older builds that could have possibly been broken, but that was my experience. In general though, regardless of settings, it wouldn't run anything in Dolphin at full speed except 2D fare like Muramasa and NSMB. I'm not sure what kind of strides they've made in OpenCL since then, I quit trying around the 5600 or 5800 builds.

Top Bottom