• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

darkpaladinmfc said:
Looks great, but I hate how the textures are mostly solid colours.
They work so much better with a low resolution though especially for iphone and ds games, once you apply gritty textures to anything 640 and below things slowly get messy looking.

Have to say the game looks stunning in HD.

JRW

Wow those Metroid Other M shots look great.

I'd love to see what it looks like with Dolphin in the area where you fight the branchy "Tree" boss, its a fairly big area and its raining at first.

I was looking around in 1st person thinking damn why did they have to make Wii only 480P lol , Even the rain is a jaggy mess.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
How is this even possible with today's technology?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JRW said:
Wow those Metroid Other M shots look great.

I'd love to see what it looks like with Dolphin in the area where you fight the branchy "Tree" boss, its a fairly big area and its raining at first.

I was looking around in 1st person thinking damn why did they have to make Wii only 480P lol , Even the rain is a jaggy mess.
I have at least one shot in the Album that is linked to at the start of every photo batch.

Gahiggidy said:
In the house of PC, there are no ceilings.

WillyFive

Gahiggidy said:

A combination of high end PC gaming hardware, an incredibly well done emulator, the existing knowledge of how the Gamecube and Wii work, and conspiracy theories.

vazel

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
It's not that amazing that it happened. It's a HLE emulator(speedhacks and game specific optimizations, not as accurate as the real thing) and even then it requires a beefy system. What I'd like is an emulator that favors accuracy. A GCN LLE emulator would use more resources though since it would mean no speedhacks so it's not going to happen for a long time if ever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Metroid: Other M

The album continues here. Beware: it contains spoilers.

Metroid%20Other%20M%20086.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20087.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20091.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20095.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20101.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20102.jpg

Spike

What kind of hardware would I need to run this emulator? I need to upgrade my PC, and I want to get this running perfectly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Spike said:
What kind of hardware would I need to run this emulator? I need to upgrade my PC, and I want to get this running perfectly.
Most games don't run perfectly, and those that do tend to have a flaw here or there.

ANyways, go for a quadcore that can be overclocked to over 3ghz, atleast 4gb of ram (any modern rig should have this much), and get a AMD5850/NV460 or better.

Stallion Free said:
Most games don't run perfectly, and those that do tend to have a flaw here or there.

ANyways, go for a quadcore that can be overclocked to over 3ghz, atleast 4gb of ram (any modern rig should have this much), and get a AMD5850/NV460 or better.

To add to that make sure you get an Intel, rather than AMD processor. You'll be able to get away with a much more humble GPU though considering you can get that level of performance for around $200 these days, well there's little reason to go any lower.

Datschge

brain_stew said:
To add to that make sure you get an Intel, rather than AMD processor. You'll be able to get away with a much more humble GPU though considering you can get that level of performance for around $200 these days, well there's little reason to go any lower.
Or get a top GPU with decent OpenCL drivers.

IrishNinja

Stallion Free said:

Stallion, is that first statement more for running Wii games, or should i expect the same of GC titles? laptop i'm looking at has similar specs to what you're saying here, but it's at 2.8ghz when in turbo mode, kinda wondering what to expect here (same specs otherwise, 6GB RAM, ATI 5870 etc).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
IrishNinja said:
Stallion, is that first statement more for running Wii games, or should i expect the same of GC titles? laptop i'm looking at has similar specs to what you're saying here, but it's at 2.8ghz when in turbo mode, kinda wondering what to expect here (same specs otherwise, 6GB RAM, ATI 5870 etc).
Few Wii and GC games run 100% speed all the time is what I meant.

IrishNinja

ah, i see - hopefully that changes over time, with updates & such as the scene grows...site says last official dolphin release was april, is that right? i can deal with choppy cutscenes and occasional sound synch hiccups, hoping it's not much worse than that most of the time, though.

has anyone else run dolphin in turbo mode on other setups? im assuming that's just an overclock button, wondering if it chops up performance a bit though.

IrishNinja

oh yeah? do we got a FAQ about on this? im taking notes on settings from this thread, but all i got on releases is the first google link, which i was assuming was the actual release page...i found one GC/wii game compatibility page, but its gotta be outdated, shit says Killer 7 doesn't work and ive seen awesome videos on youtube saying otherwise.

found this, mebbe it's better?

Reallink

IrishNinja said:
ah, i see - hopefully that changes over time, with updates & such as the scene grows...site says last official dolphin release was april, is that right? i can deal with choppy cutscenes and occasional sound synch hiccups, hoping it's not much worse than that most of the time, though.

has anyone else run dolphin in turbo mode on other setups? im assuming that's just an overclock button, wondering if it chops up performance a bit though.

Turbo Boost is an automatic feature, not a button or setting you can directly control (at least not in pre-built laptops). It boosts to different speeds depending on how many cores a program utilizes. 2.8Ghz would only be for single core applications in a current laptop. Dolphin officially uses 2 (which would be 2.4Ghz), but in my experience, something will spread a pretty high workload across all 4 cores if you have a Quad (windows perhaps?), so by default, you will likely see no (or a very low) Turbo Boost using Dolphin.

IrishNinja

Stallion Free said:
Daily builds: http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

Amazing resource for figuring out how to set up games: http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/forum-8.html

bookmarked both, thanks a lot man!

Reallink said:
Turbo Boost is an automatic feature, not a button or setting you can directly control (at least not in pre-built laptops). It boosts to different speeds depending on how many cores a program utilizes. 2.8Ghz would only be for single core applications in a current laptop. Dolphin officially uses 2 (which would be 2.4Ghz), but in my experience, something will spread a pretty high workload across all 4 cores if you have a Quad (windows perhaps?), so by default, you will likely see no (or a very low) Turbo Boost using Dolphin.

crap...really? I'm looking at this one which has a core i7-720QM, if im reading it right, runs at 1.6 ghz, which i understand to not be adequate...ive been told here that a quad core wont necessarily affect performance (supposedly dolphin doesnt currently take advantage of this), was really hoping having it on at 2.8 ghz would be more than enough, for this and PCSX2 as well. or am i misunderstanding?

vazel

Banned
I'd be wary of those cheap mini-bluetooth dongles if you're planning on playing in front of your HDTV some distance from the PC. I had one that had shitty range. I finally settled on this dongle that while still dirt cheap is at least full sized and I haven't had range issues.

M3d10n

Kard8p3 said:
Can't believe how amazing Other M looks on the Dolphin.
Samus' 3D model is of such high quality that it still looks amazing even in much bigger resolutions. I have seen blockier fingers in PS360 games.

This stuff looks absolutely amazing! If Nintendo would just release a Wii that looked like this, they'd be back in the game! (Not looking for some war or whatever, just saying most people consider "next gen" HD-gaming, like PS3/360).

Does anyone have pix of Metroid Prime? In particular the 1st level? I've always marveled at how great that level looked and wondered what it would look like "hi-res".

Also, more Sin & Punishment, please!

DSN2K

how well would this run on i5 laptop with middle tier ATi Graphics, example HD 5160 ?

not too bothered by resolution or AA if it ran in native res I'd be impressed :lol

DSN2K said:
how well would this run on i5 laptop with middle tier ATi Graphics, example HD 5160 ?

not too bothered by resolution or AA if it ran in native res I'd be impressed :lol

The fuck is a 5160?

You mean a 5650? If so it might do well at your laptop's native resolution so long as you're not expecting lots of supersampling.

SOLDIER

Question about Wiimote emulation. Is it possible to use Xpadder or something to get the Wiimote to act as a literal remote for the PC, like with selecting folders or playing movies (and dare I say...Starcraft)?

Someone mentioned a $2 dongle for those that lack bluetooth on the PC. Can I get that link again?

kurahadol

I have everything running perfectly but I'm noticing some issues when running Other M. I haven't gone past the training area but the graphics seem a bit out of wack in that area. The blue lines that highlight throughout the room glow and extend much too far and make everything look blue. I also ran into an issue where when I was wall jumping out of the pit everything clipped out and the screen stayed black. Was wondering if anyone knew of a solution to this?

I'm running this on my i7 iMac on Windows 7 through bootcamp if that makes a difference.

I'll see if I can't take a screen cap later if it's needed.

Edit: Here are the caps...can't seem to figure this out, other games seem to run fine.

mMuIH.png

PQBeH.png

Hbznw.png

kinggroin

Banned
SOLDIER said:
Question about Wiimote emulation. Is it possible to use Xpadder or something to get the Wiimote to act as a literal remote for the PC, like with selecting folders or playing movies (and dare I say...Starcraft)?

Someone mentioned a $2 dongle for those that lack bluetooth on the PC. Can I get that link again?

Use GlovePie onces your synced via bluetooth.

Nabs

i played through the entire game @ 1080p and i am still amazed at those pics.

hey kurah, what version of dolphin are you on? settings?

jediyoshi

Bluetooth dongle finally coming in = time for the games that actually use the Wiimote.
I love when sd 2d art scales up well.

dolphin2010-09-0602-13cfxb.jpg

dolphin2010-09-0602-17yd3o.jpg

dolphin2010-09-0521-33oi08.jpg

dolphin2010-09-0602-16depx.jpg

Top Bottom