• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Those Other M shots are simply unfuckingbelievable. I was on the fence before, as I don't play Wii all that much anyway, but I think I'd play it a lot more if my games ran in 1080p. I'm definitely setting this baby up on my PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For the new page:

Metroid: Other M

The album continues here. Beware: it contains huge spoilers.

Metroid%20Other%20M%20138.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20139.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20143.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20152.jpg

Metroid%20Other%20M%20161.jpg

kurahadol

Nabs said:
i played through the entire game @ 1080p and i am still amazed at those pics.

hey kurah, what version of dolphin are you on? settings?

Dolphin 2.0
-Direct3D9 Plugin
-w/ Enable CPU->EFB access checked
-EFB Scaled Copy checked
-Disable Fog checked
-Enabled EFB copy checked with to Ram selected
-Running at 1280x720

That's everything within the graphics settings, I don't think I'm missing anything but there' something wrong if it's looking like that.

Weird thing is other games run and look great. And the FMVs in Other M looked great as well.

kurahadol

So it's running great in game now but during the in game cutscenes the audio goes out of sync and plays things early by about 2 seconds. Any ideas?

Edit: Seems to be only with voices too, I've tried a bunch of different things and if I hear "Remember Me?" one more time I might cut myself haha

Red

kurahadol said:
So it's running great in game now but during the in game cutscenes the audio goes out of sync and plays things early by about 2 seconds. Any ideas?

Edit: Seems to be only with voices too, I've tried a bunch of different things and if I hear "Remember Me?" one more time I might cut myself haha
Cutscenes have trouble. Audio gets de-synced and sometimes the screen will go black. Only other issue besides that is an extra bright screen during forced first person segments if you don't point the Wii remote at the screen. Everything else works very well (and some parts seem to run better than on a real Wii; could be imagination, but I'm not noticing any slowdown on my Dolphin playthrough).

ArakniD

Neo Member
Stallion Free said:
For the new page:

The album continues here. Beware: it contains huge spoilers.

Holy cow, Metroid: Other M is such eye candy.

The team really did an excellent job on the art style as well as the execution.
The "cinematography" is just great.

With a bit of Photoshop tweaking, one of those screenshots will make it's way onto my desktop as a wallpaper.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is not the best thread to ask this, but it's somewhat related, so i'll just ask:

Anybody know of any current and cheap GameCube to USB (as in, PC) adapter? I want one so I can use the kickass hori SNES-Like controller for gamecube:

zvr3q1.jpg

I can't find anything on Ebay or the eventual crazy videogame converters....

Anybody have any ideas?

Rich!

drizzle said:
This is not the best thread to ask this, but it's somewhat related, so i'll just ask:

Anybody know of any current and cheap GameCube to USB (as in, PC) adapter? I want one so I can use the kickass hori SNES-Like controller for gamecube:

zvr3q1.jpg

Anybody have any ideas?

www.retrousb.com will suit your every need, and then some.

edit - goddamn, they don't have a gamecube - usb adapter on there! they have everything else though. Ah well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
richisawesome said:
www.retrousb.com will suit your every need, and then some.

edit - goddamn, they don't have a gamecube - usb adapter on there! they have everything else though. Ah well.
I know, retrousb.com was one of the places where I looked for one. I can't find one anywhere. Not even multi adapters. :(

kurahadol

Crunched said:
Cutscenes have trouble. Audio gets de-synced and sometimes the screen will go black. Only other issue besides that is an extra bright screen during forced first person segments if you don't point the Wii remote at the screen. Everything else works very well (and some parts seem to run better than on a real Wii; could be imagination, but I'm not noticing any slowdown on my Dolphin playthrough).

Ah ok thanks for the info. So I take it that it's best to give the first playthrough a go on the wii?

sfried

Those Other M screens in the album are pretty. Any way to not have them in Silverlight for *cough*wallpaper purposes*cough*?

Could I technically use a wired 360 controller to play this on the PC? I already bought the game but I forgot the Wii at my parents' :x

So what I really want to know, is this

Wiimote (Recommended): many games require motions that cannot be mapped to the keyboard.

still true?

Luigiv

mescalineeyes said:
Could I technically use a wired 360 controller to play this on the PC? I already bought the game but I forgot the Wii at my parents' :x

So what I really want to know, is this

still true?
I assume by "this" you mean Other M? If so then I don't see how you could emulate the controls without some sort of custom plugin.

Got wireless sensor bar and dongle today, but for whatever reason cannot connect to mediafire to download dolphin svn. Blood pressure rising....

edit: thanks

jediyoshi

blackMamba1187 said:
Got wireless sensor bar and dongle today, but for whatever reason cannot connect to mediafire to download dolphin svn. Blood pressure rising....

Looks like mediafire is gonna be down for a bit,
here's a good alternative.

mescalineeyes said:
for anyone wondering, this YT video explains how to play Other M with the Xbox Controller exclusively.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdLoHRDK9t0
Will go home and try this instantly after work. Beyond excited.

Lovely video :D

Reallink

I played Other M through in it's entirety on Dolphin using a 360 pad. The analog stick works 100x better than the Wiimote's Dpad. I just followed this guide to set it up. 6164 SSE4.2 was also a very stable build for playing through it.

drizzle said:

zvr3q1.jpg

Anybody have any ideas?
As I've used an EMS Trio Linker Plus in the past for connecting Gamecube (and Playstation and Dreamcast) to PC I would suggest that (though having a look on their site I might be out of luck anyway as it doesn't look like there are any Windows 7 drivers) but having a look on Play-asia for one now it seems they are not made anymore. The other alternative is Super Joybox 13 by Mayflash which, yes is also out of stock (and given when it was made could also have the same driver issues).

I wonder if you could daisy chain these things by going Gamecube > Playstation then Playstation > PC. Not that it matters as I cannot find a Gamecube > Playstation converter; only an Xbox > Playstation one.

Does Donkey Kong Jungle Beat run on dolphin? We were talking about the games and comparing them with DKCR, but I couldn't find any good screens of the game. Can anyone take some screens of it? It doesn't matter which version.

Rented Batman the Brave & the Bold. Runs slowly during the animated parts, but seems alright during gameplay. Fraps keeps making it freeze so I only have the 1 shot so far.

does someone have those metroid configs? god-damn mediafire.

also, which version has the incomplete Wii Remote Plugins? the ones that support profiles...

blackMamba1187 said:
Rented Batman the Brave & the Bold. Runs slowly during the animated parts, but seems alright during gameplay. Fraps keeps making it freeze so I only have the 1 shot so far.

Can't you just use the print screen button on your keyboard to capture a screen shot without fraps?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
And so it ends:

The album finishes here. Beware: it contains fucking enormously huge spoilers.

There are so many spoilers I can only leave you with one screen. However, if you have finished the game I highly recommend taking a look. Also, I just zipped up the whole batch and uploaded them for anyone interested here: Megaupload link.

Metroid%20Other%20M%20169.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wow, Metroid looks really nice, but how does it run?

I got all excited from this thread, and felt all nostalgic for SotC, so I DLed PCSX2 and spent like 3 days capturing my bios and trying to get my PS2 discs to work, and then the game runs like ass. Should I bother trying out Wii games or is it more of the same.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jungle Beat would look nicer if the art wasn't hideous.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dr.Acula said:
Wow, Metroid looks really nice, but how does it run?

I got all excited from this thread, and felt all nostalgic for SotC, so I DLed PCSX2 and spent like 3 days capturing my bios and trying to get my PS2 discs to work, and then the game runs like ass. Should I bother trying out Wii games or is it more of the same.
It ran between 40-60 fps for the most part. It's not hard to get games in a playable state (near target fps, minimal glitches) and from my experience it's far easier than the PS2 emulator to figure out.

JADS

yurinka said:
That guy said he started to port to PS3 the DC and PS2 emulators. Someone has to port Dolphin to PS3!

Ector creator of the Dolphin emulator said:
believe that it can be done BUT it would be a MASSIVE undertaking. Not one that I'm likely to take on, that's for sure

Main pieces of work necessary:

* Writing a new JIT, Gecko->Cell PPC.
* Getting an OpenGL implementation (will involve porting MESA + Nouveau) OR porting the emu to directly access the nVidia GPU (might be even harder)
* Getting a working Cg-compatible shader compiler that can run directly on the PS3 OR rewrite the whole shader generation to generate binary GF7800 shaders directly
* Tying up all loose ends and optimizing

I think all of the above are possible but seriously difficult and time consuming. Full speed is probably attainable, at least on GC games but possibly also Wii games, after a few years of solid work. - http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-11893-post-111733.html#pid111733

There you have it. Buy a PC if you want to run Gamecube/Wii games in 1080P now or wait several years.

jediyoshi

Dr.Acula said:

Wii games tend to run smoother, then again SotC ran fine for me as well.

jediyoshi

LovingSteam said:
Ok, so I have been playing around with this lately but cannot seem to get my 360 controller to work. What do I need to do?

Are you using the Wiimote New Incomplete plugin? Does

XInput/0/Gamepad

show up under the Device dropdown?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JADS said:
You know, I wonder which of these will end up best looking in Dolphin:
Donkey Kong
Epic Mickey
Kirby

Donkey Kong is pretty much guaranteed to look fantastic. Epic Mickey will look good, but let down by large environments with stretched, muddy textures and so-so lighting (though the more focused levels will look great). Kirby will depend entirely on the texture resultion of all the sprites. In a higher res it will be cleaned up and naturally look gorgeous. If the textures are abnormally high res for a Wii game (like the HUD in NSMB Wii), it will be one of the nicest looking 1080p games of all time.

Top Bottom