• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Birbo said:
Any ideas why my original Xbox controller S doesn't get recognized?

As long as the computer itself recognizes it, it should show up as one of the devices listed under the Device dropdown list under the Configure section in the Wiimote options.

Hieberrr

How come my 360 controller isnt showing up as a device under gcpad? :(

Also, can anybody help me get the most out of my system?
Here are my specs:

Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz
4GB RAM
Vista 32bit
ATI Radeon 5450 512MB

HD graphics isn't my concern. I'm more concerned with performance since I don't want to bring my Wii into my room (it's downstairs right now).

jediyoshi

Hieberrr said:
How come my 360 controller isnt showing up as a device under gcpad? :(

'XInput/0/Gamepad' doesn't show up on the list? Does the controller show up and function properly otherwise?

For people with other gamepads, x360ce is a useful program that let's your gamepad emulate a 360 controller which some games and programs like Dolphin are more partial to receiving input from.

Hieberrr

jediyoshi said:
'XInput/0/Gamepad' doesn't show up on the list? Does the controller show up and function properly otherwise?

For people with other gamepads, x360ce is a useful program that let's your gamepad emulate a 360 controller which some games and programs like Dolphin are more partial to receiving input from.

Oh yes, that shows up, but my controller wont respond to it.

Hieberrr

YEs, showing up as XInput/0/Gamepad, but its not responding to Dolphin. I tried the emulator with a keyboard and I can't even get Melee to play at a constant and decent framerate, so I'm giving up ={

Birbo

^ This is the same issue I'm having. My Xbox controller S works with my PC and is selectable in the Dolphin drop down, but doesn't respond.

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, but you are lying/have never played on your TV in 1080p if you think the the Wii-visuals are comparable.

Edit: Oh snap, you tried to troll earlier by hating on the 360 pad being used in place of a GC pad. This is cute.
Looks like you're the one trying to troll here.

Ssseth

Neo Member
Did you try copying the config file from the OP file over to your copy of Dolphin? That's what I did and it worked like a champ.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dolphin2010-10-0914-26agma.jpg

dolphin2010-10-0914-26pg06.jpg

dolphin2010-10-0914-26kix0.jpg

dolphin2010-10-0914-32idf7.jpg

IrishNinja

Stallion Free said:
Question: What are your PC specs Stallion Free?
Answer: I currently have a Q9400 clocked at 3.6 ghz, 4 gb RAM, an ATI 5850 (misread by Dolphin), and Windows 7 64-bit.

ah, so ive opted against a laptop and am looking to build a somewhat portable gaming rig, with the following specs:

i5-760 (its at 2.8ghz, i was gonna OC it to 3.4 and was told that wouldn't be a problem - should i shoot higher, or is this good for most games at high settings?)
ATI 5870 (i recall ATI's being good for either dolphin or PCSX2, no?)
4GB DDR3

and such. just need a good recommendation for the wiimote sensor, anything else i'd want to include to optimize this setup for dolphin/PS2 emu use? ideally, id love to all but replace these systems with this rig, whenever that's possible.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have heard a lot of people say it's worth ponying up the extra couple bucks to go with a similarly clocked i7 instead of i5, but I don't know for sure, maybe someone else can answer that. Other than that, the specs are excellent.

As for the wireless sensor bar, this one has been working great for me (not that it has to do much): Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey Stall, it looks like your screens got linked to by that banned Nintendo site.

Oh, you fancy huh?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Kyleripman said:
Can I request a couple shots from Wario's Gold Mine?

Do you mean Shake It on the Wii or Wario World on the Gamecube?

There are definitely some Shake It screens a few pages back in this thread.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crunched said:
What is that skeleton Bowser guy? I have a copy of MKW and have never seen him.
He's called Dry Bowser and he's unlockable. In the emulator you can right click on the game in the list and actually download the list of hacks and cheats people have made so I just have "unlock everything" check off in both MKWii and Double Dash.

Luigiv

TestOfTide said:
does the wii naturally make textures that smooth or is the texture anti-aliasing an added effect of the emulator?
The Wii's native texture filtering is fairly decent, though in these shots you're seeing that being overridden for 16x Anisotropic filtering. The Super Sampling also helps.

DarthButcher said:
Right now, I am using a PS3 controller, because I left my Xbox 360 wired controller with a friend back up at college so I probably won't see it again until the Fall. It works beautifully. Now I'm ripping my GCN catalog of 1,000,000 games(actually 30-something) to my PC.

I saw this post above a long time ago, and it got me on a quest to not simply get the PS3 controller functioning as a controller (which was easy enough via MotioninJoy), but to get the tilt working as-well. The goal was to get the controller to serve as a Wii Controller replacement (better buttons, ergonomics), but retain the tilt without having to map it as a button.

I tried my hardest to find a working driver, and MotioninJoy seems to have the options, but it is not detecting the tilt.

Windows7/64.

MightyKAC

I'm sure this has been asked before (searched the thread, couldn't find it) but how well does this emulator run on the Alienware M11x notebooks.

The one I have specifically is:

Core I5 1.3mhz
8gigs ram
Nvidia Geforce GT 335M

Thanks in advance.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MightyKAC said:
I'm sure this has been asked before (searched the thread, couldn't find it) but how well does this emulator run on the Alienware M11x notebooks.

The one I have specifically is:

Core I5 1.3mhz
8gigs ram
Nvidia Geforce GT 335M

Thanks in advance.
Do you mean 1.3 ghz? You are kinda fucked with a processor that speed. The emulator is wicked processor needy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can Dolphin connect to Nintendo's Wifi right now, or even been deemed possible? I really hope to get the money for a new PC soon.

JADS

Drkirby said:
Can Dolphin connect to Nintendo's Wifi right now, or even been deemed possible? I really hope to get the money for a new PC soon.

No it can't connect to Nintendo Wifi, but it is deemed possible. There was a proof of concept NDS emulator that did exactly that. It was never released to the public though if I recall correctly. Dolphin does support netplay but that really isn't up to snuff yet.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think when I get home from work I will try the task of seeing if Animal Crossing will boot on my Laptop. I doubt it, but a man can dream!

morningbus said:
Do you mean Shake It on the Wii or Wario World on the Gamecube?

There are definitely some Shake It screens a few pages back in this thread.

Actually, I meant the track on Mario Kart Wii. I think it's one of the more visually interesting tracks.

M3d10n

ombz said:
Would the emulator ever work with the 3DS?
Usually for emulation you need a host that is at least five times more powerful, in raw computing power. You sound like people I've seen asking about N64 emulation on the DS years ago.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Wind Waker... good lord. I WANT TO PLAY THAT.

Also, after poking around a while I'm still not exactly clear on whether dolphin runs normally on os x (Snow Leopard)?

IrishNinja

Stallion Free said:
I have heard a lot of people say it's worth ponying up the extra couple bucks to go with a similarly clocked i7 instead of i5, but I don't know for sure, maybe someone else can answer that. Other than that, the specs are excellent.

ah, thanks man. looks like im sticking with the i5 for what it's worth, but opting for an Nvidia GTX 460 for cooler temps in a smaller case. im still looking into the benchmarks to see what kind've tradeoff im looking at going with that vs ATI 5870, but again, either this thread or the PCSX2 one, i was told ATIs were ideal, no? should i expect any trouble/dropoff in performance (despite the emu being processor heavy) or just more tweaking of settings? the latter i can totally do.

abstract alien said:
I'm sure he was just ignorant to the resources needed for proper emulation and simply had an honest question.
Even so, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a system with a 266/133 MHz CPU/GPU and 64 MB of memory isn't going to be able to emulate a system with a 729/486 MHz CPU/GPU and 91 MB of memory.

Top Bottom