• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stallion Free said:
I have heard a lot of people say it's worth ponying up the extra couple bucks to go with a similarly clocked i7 instead of i5, but I don't know for sure, maybe someone else can answer that.
There shouldn't be any big difference that I can think of. The main one is HyperThreading, but Dolphin only uses 2 cores so it's not like having 8 threads vs 4 would help any. SSE should be the same as well.

poweld

Stallion Free said:
Look, I'm not going to tell you not to play the game, but there is a reason I had to borrow it from my girlfriend.
I disagree with you somewhat. I had it for DS and it was the perfect game to play when you just had a few minutes (the average time spent pooping or waiting for a bus). On a set-top system, however, I agree that I could never really see myself sitting down and playing it.

Nabs

I like Animal Crossing. I go on marathons every few years and then forget about it. Lots of fun doing nothing. I don't have the DS version, but it does seem like the perfect portable game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I might be a little harsh because I feel that Tom Nook is bordering on being a Tingle-level asshole.

I hate Tingle with a burning fucking passion.

Wow, those Wario's Gold Mine shots are fantastic - thank you! It's such a rollicking, roller-coaster of a track, and I think it's one of the most creative ones on the Wii version. Now if only I didn't suck at it...

I'd like to make a couple requests, if anyone would be willing to take them.

I want to see Modern Warfare Reflex and Dead Rising Chop till You Drop just to compare them with the 360 versions. Just for fun. =)

JADS

Rush2thestart said:
I'd like to make a couple requests, if anyone would be willing to take them.

I want to see Modern Warfare Reflex and Dead Rising Chop till You Drop just to compare them with the 360 versions. Just for fun. =)

There is nothing to compare here move along. Why I wasted €10,- on this piece of crap I don't know. Its hard to believe that this is using the RE4 engine, lazy shitty port.

Does Kirby Epic Yarn look way too high res to any of you? It seems like it was created with perhaps a high-def console in mind? a future Wii HD perhaps?

I'm probably just blinded by the cuteness though.

Platy

TouchMyBox said:
Does Kirby Epic Yarn look way too high res to any of you? It seems like it was created with perhaps a high-def console in mind? a future Wii HD perhaps

I can totaly see the artists in the team taking pics of fabric with their insane japanese cams with 800000000000megapixels and then looking at the coding dudes and ...

Artist : "how much should we resize this ?"

Coding dude : "we are doing a plataformer !
we have WAY too much space in the disk ... forget about it !"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well I had some free time today and I decided to test out Nabs WIP config for Kirby's Epic Yarn (a benefit of being tight with him and having him as the thread co-creator) and my god does it look spectacular. After the underwhelming results of Wario being emulated, the team really knocked it out of the park with the art assets in this game. They also didn't use pre-rendered cutscenes!!!!

Anyways, the game feels great on the Wiimote, has been a near perfect 60 fps, and the music is goddamn amazing. If you are a sucker for incredible graphics/art, this game is a must buy. It instantly shot to the top of my favorite graphics of the year and I'm digging the laid back gameplay too.

Anyways, I have begun my photo album as promised. If you want to save a picture, click "view on Skydrive" in the upper left and then middle-click the pic to open the raw file in a new tab:

Stallion's Photo Album for Kirby's Epic Yarn

And some samples:

Kirby%20005.jpg

Kirby%20013.jpg

Kirby%20014.jpg

Kirby%20016.jpg

Kirby%20019.jpg

jett

D-Member
I thought for sure the yarns were polygons, but apparently it's all sprite work? That makes the amazing animation even more amazing.

atomsk

Party Pooper
huh, I had problems with the stage where you first use the surfboard

crashed 4 times and I gave up and played on the Wii

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
atomsk said:
huh, I had problems with the stage where you first use the surfboard

crashed 4 times and I gave up and played on the Wii
I have had two crashes I think in the first 2 worlds, but no repeat crashes. Nabs has a pro config I guess.

Cdammen

I tried Mario Kart Wii (EU) and it ran in like 10fps even on native resolution and all the extra stuff like AA turned off. It worked fine in the menus but got incredibly slow as soon as it loaded the track. What am I doing wrong? And can I turn off the bloom/glow, it's annoying?

I have a i5 760, 4GB DDR3 and a GTX460. Other games run well on my system, it's just this one that's acting up.

Luigiv

MarkMclovin said:
Will my system run Dolphin fine?

Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 2.2GHz
3GB RAM
ATI HD4570
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
No. That CPU is seriously outdated and Dolphin is a very CPU intensive program.

Edit: Wait what? The T4400 is a q4 2009 model processor?... I wasn't aware Intel still made Pentiums.

jett

D-Member
Emonga said:
Nah, most of it is polygons.

Why do the characters looks so blurry in the emulator shots then? Truthfully I've no idea how they've achieved the animation of the characters in Kirby. It's so beautiful in motion. It's just perfectly smooth.

I think I need to try playing this on my dell ultrasharp u2711. Looks sooo good.

Baiano19 said:
Whoa... that actually looks like Little Big Planet.

Incredible :O

If you showed me Epic Yarn on dolphin and told me it was running on the ps3, I'd believe the shit out of you.

Baiano19 said:
Whoa... that actually looks better than Little Big Planet.

Incredible :O

Fixed. :D

It's kind of ridiculous that a Kirby game is the most beautiful on the system, right? Even in SD with the component cables on a nice television, the game could easily fool a passerby into thinking it's a X360 or PS3 title.

Nabs

Nice pics Stall.

I'm loving the skydrive as well. I now have a place for LKS pictures (I hate picking a few to post). Hopefully I'll post that config soon.

I'm also loving Kirby :) So laid back and cool. It looks fantastic in motion and at 1080p.

6ygma.jpg

71dc5.jpg

Snow = awesome.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Stallion Free said:
Runs at a nice sharp 60 for me :(
What config to get that?
No matter what, AC refuses to run more then 50-55 for me, regardless of any settings I change (it's 60 only in black-screen+character intro). This on an I7 with GTS 260, just for reference.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fafalada said:
What config to get that?
No matter what, AC refuses to run more then 50-55 for me, regardless of any settings I change (it's 60 only in black-screen+character intro). This on an I7 with GTS 260, just for reference.
Honestly, I used the exact same config as I do for Mario Kart Wii. Try right-clicking the ISO and turning on D-list caching (available in new builds).

GaimeGuy said:
We need to get some Xenoblade shots/vids
Is that out or will it ever be out in the US?

Stallion Free said:
Honestly, I used the exact same config as I do for Mario Kart Wii. Try right-clicking the ISO and turning on D-list caching (available in new builds).

Is that out or will it ever be out in the US?

It's out in Japan. Came out in June. So far there's been nothing on a release or a fan translation so an FAQ is the next best thing.

Nabs

title-kirby0nxj.jpg

Background
Kirby's first console platform game since the Nintendo 64 days introduces an amazing new look based on animated yarn and a world of
cloth and textiles. The creative approach is woven directly into the game play and allows the ever-morphing Kirby to take on a variety of
new forms. A simultaneous two player mode will have players of all skill levels enjoying this one-of-a-kind experience.
  • Region: NTSC
  • Completion: 60%
  • Default FPS: 60
  • Average FPS: 60
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • Widescreen: Yes
  • Dolphin Build: r6269

Issues
There are no serious issues with the game. During especially hectic moments the framerate will drop below 60 fps and you may encounter
a crash here or there. Individual ISO settings are changed by right-clicking the ISO in the games list and selecting properties.

Settings

Config / Basic Settings
  • Enable Dual Core: Yes
  • Enable Idle Skipping: Yes
  • Framelimit: Auto
  • Use FPS For Limiting: No
Config / Advanced Settings
  • HLE the IPL: Yes
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler
  • Lock Threads to Cores: No
  • DSPLLE on Thread: No
Config /Interface Settings
  • Confirm on Stop: No
  • Use Panic Handlers: No
Graphics / Direct3D
  • V-Sync: No
  • Widescreen Hack: No
  • Aspect Ratio: Auto
  • Anti-Alias Mode: 4x SSAA
  • Enable CPU->EFB Access: Yes
  • Safe Texture Cache: Normal
  • Use D-List Caching: Yes
Graphics / Enhancements
  • Force Bi/Trilinear: No
  • Enable 16x Anisotropy Filtering: Yes
  • Enable Hires Texture Loading: No
  • EFB Scaled Copy: Yes
  • Enable Pixel Lighting: Yes
Graphics / Advanced
  • Disable Fog: No
  • Enable EFB Copy: To Texture
  • Enable XFB: No
  • Use Native Mips: Yes
  • Overlay FPS Counter: No
  • Enable Hotkey: No
  • Enable Wireframe: No
  • Enable Real XFB: No
DSP / Sound
  • Enable HLE Audio: Yes
  • Enable DTK Music: Yes
  • Enable Audio Throttle: No
  • Audio Backend: DSound
Individual ISO Settings
  • Watermark Tightness: 1000

Screenshots

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs just made it big getting his screen and the thread linked to on everyone's fav banned Nintendo site. And his guide is linked to in the OP.

He's rather popular today.

Can someone make a compilation post of all the custom game settings? Searching through the entire thread is such a hassle. I wish they hadn't completely crippled the search function of GAF.

Top Bottom