• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of Japan tempts Xenoblade owners with The Last Story

duckroll

It seems included within the Xenoblade package are inserts promoting Metroid the Other M and The Last Story. For the purpose of this exercise we are only interested in The Last Story, because this means I can finally post a direct feed scan of The Last Story without banning myself. :)

2mpc5er.jpg

CruxisMana said:
C'mon - The Last Story, Xenoblade and Tales of Graces for Europe.
Graces is not coming.

I will freely admit I am wrong if it is announced at E3, but everything I've been told is that it was at some point planned, but no longer is.

ShockingAlberto said:
Graces is not coming.

I will freely admit I am wrong if it is announced at E3, but everything I've been told is that it was at some point planned, but no longer is.

I know... I just like to keep thinking that it'll happen...

D:

Beth Cyra

Hmm, I was pretty down on the character art's in the other thread, but damn that looks alot better even if some of it is CGI, am actually much more excited after seeing that.

Sohter.Nura said:
:/ I don't think they are even coming to America, in all honesty.

Xenoblade probably is (announced at last years E3 and been on every NA Release list since).
And Last Story has a decent chance.

Amir0x

Banned
To me The Last Story looks like easily the most appealing of Mistwalker's games to date. I still can't call it anticipation after how horrible Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on it.

Cep

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Graces is not coming.

Alright, time to mod my Wii.

ShockingAlberto said:
Graces is not coming.

Nintendo should localize/market it themselves.

They could release TLS/Xenoblade/ToG within a few months of each other in 2011 and call it RPG Season or something, like what Square did in 2000 leading up to FF9.

Narcosis

My only worry with Last Story is that because Nintendo is the publisher the chances of an Atlus, XSeed or Ignition picking the game up if NoA drops the ball are practically nil.

I hate having to depend on NoA to localize stuff like this, but given the reception of Mistwalker's other 2 console RPGs here I have to think there's a decent chance.

alf717

Ah the Summer of Adventure stuff right? I still own all three soundtracks to Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate and Chrono Cross.

I was looking forward to Tale of Graces since on Youtube a English dub of the opening scene was floating around on there. Day ones all around even if I'm broke I'll find a way to buy them. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Amir0x said:
To me The Last Story looks like easily the most appealing of Mistwalker's games to date. I still can't call it anticipation after how horrible Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on it.

I loved BD's look (Toriyama rocks), I loved Ash's look. LO was....ok looking, Away was kind of awful looking, and to me Last Story looks like a mixed bag. I like the medieval detailed and gritty aesthetic borrowed from ASH and LO, but I hate the character designs in Last Story. The girl looks like a generic long haired male antagonist and the guy looks like he stepped out of Castlevania. Where is the great character design from ASH :(

ShockingAlberto said:
Graces is not coming.

But in doing the research for the game industry mission statement thread I just noticed Namco says this is one of their corporate goals:

Namco Bandai said:
[To] Actively supply products to overseas customers
and a corporation would never deceive me, right?

On topic: do we know any battle system details for Last Story yet?

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
But in doing the research for the game industry mission statement thread I just noticed Namco says this is one of their corporate goals:

and a corporation would never deceive me, right?

On topic: do we know any battle system details for Last Story yet?

It seems to be based on an agro system where you taunt enemies onto you, and sneak other character into the battle to do special attacks.

Fritz

This and Xenoblade are surely coming over. Its obvious Nintendo wants to establish the genre on Wii, if only to pave the way for DQ X.
Sadly, Namco probably didnt get the message.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fritz said:
This and Xenoblade are surely coming over. Its obvious Nintendo wants to establish the genre on Wii, if only to pave the way for DQ X.

Normally the argument about "paving the way" involves umbrella titles; AAA high profile titles which create an ecosystem under which b-tier titles can survive and prosper. Not to insult either Xenoblade or The Last Story, but it would be pretty surprising if either of those were super high profile when they were brought over here.

Narcosis said:
My only worry with Last Story is that because Nintendo is the publisher the chances of an Atlus, XSeed or Ignition picking the game up if NoA drops the ball are practically nil.

I hate having to depend on NoA to localize stuff like this, but given the reception of Mistwalker's other 2 console RPGs here I have to think there's a decent chance.
Xenoblade is already coming at least (it was announced at E3 when it was still Monado).

Don't see why they'd bring that over but not TLS.

MrDaravon

I'm really over Namco fucking us on the Tales games. I understand that they don't sell great over here, but what really pisses me off is the scuttlebutt that they won't allow other publishers to localize them either.

The only way Graces is coming is if it's being published by Nintendo. I really see no other way.

Anyway, TLS looks great and I really hope we get a story trailer and gameplay footage. Especially the battle-system need explanation.

Boney

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Normally the argument about "paving the way" involves umbrella titles; AAA high profile titles which create an ecosystem under which b-tier titles can survive and prosper. Not to insult either Xenoblade or The Last Story, but it would be pretty surprising if either of those were super high profile when they were brought over here.
That's just Opiate's theory, which is of course fairly rational. But it's not a proven fact. It could easily work with big announced titles. Like FFXIII and after we get some videos of DQX.

Cipherr

Stumpokapow said:

Its all they have, so thats why its likely to happen regardless of these not being high profile.

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:

I hope they keep the story book guy from LO, though. And the character designers (characters were some of the few JRPG characters I can stand this generation).

This has been on my radar for a while; I'm hoping that they will show it in more detail at E3.

Do we know yet if Uematsu is doing the score for this game? The music on the official website is beautiful.

Rpgmonkey

I like Mistwalker enough (console efforts anyway), so I'm hoping this is pretty good.

SailorDaravon said:
I'm really over Namco fucking us on the Tales games. I understand that they don't sell great over here, but what really pisses me off is the scuttlebutt that they won't allow other publishers to localize them either.

At this point I think Namco hopes that's how everyone outside of Japan feels. :lol

WillyFive

Stumpokapow said:

It's Nintendo's job to make them high profile.

Mario, Zelda, Halo, Uncharted, Final Fantasy, and Gears didn't become high profile 'just because'.

duckroll

Willy105 said:
They didn't do it in Japan, and they didn't do it for most of their new IP's this gen.

Yeah, Nintendo seems to be adopting a "sink or swim" perspective on all new IPs. They don't seem to be interested in really pushing or promoting any IP heavily unless the initial title somehow succeeds beyond expectations on its own first, which is really silly.

Rhythm Paradise is a good example. The original GBA game was released with very little fanfare or marketing and was massively undershipped. It became a surprise hit, and for the DS sequel Nintendo actually pushed it pretty hard and got it released in the US as well.

Like you said, the really BIG IPs for core gamers don't get insanely popular by themselves. They require proper marketing and a strong push. It's very clear that Nintendo is not going to get any sort of success from core gamers on new IPs this gen because they are not willing to take a risk at all on anything that might be remotely uncertain. Even if they invested 3 years of development into interesting games with large scopes and lots of polish, they don't care to actually sell them.

Cep

Banned
They are so shrewd when it comes to other things that their unwillingness to actually nurture new IPs is extremely baffling.

Why waste several million getting a game developed if you are not willing to follow through?

I cannot imagine them making enough money to justify this practice.

ivysaur12

Banned
Darthdevidem01 said:
The Last Story will DEFINETELY come over.

Ninty want it to be their big RPG Franchise.

I'll eat my hat if it doesn't come to US/EU.

Also, don't ever call Nintendo "Ninty". You look like an idiot.

Instro

To be honest I dont see Xenoblade having the stuff to be a hit, but Last Story on the other hand seems to have everything going for it in terms of looks. I cant imagine Mistwalker would agree to make a major exclusive Wii rpg without making sure it gets localized elsewhere.

Top Bottom