• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev-Gaf: What skills are needed to work in the games industry in Japan?

Outside of the obvious job you're going for (Programmer, artist etc)
Obviously speaking Japanese is the main advantage. But what if you know minimal Japanese?
I'm just curious because at some point in my career I would love to work for a few years in Japan (as well as Canada for example)

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Near fluency in Japanese (spoken and written) is absolutely the key, primary factor -- equal to or greater than your abilities within your area of expertise (programming, art, whatever).

You have to be able to communicate effectively with your team, and 95% of them won't be confident speaking a word of English. Unfortunate but true.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Dabookerman said:
Obviously speaking Japanese is the main advantage. But what if you know minimal Japanese?
I'm just curious because at some point in my career I would love to work for a few years in Japan (as well as Canada for example)

Ability to survive on a much lower salary. Hope you have some nice savings!

Brannon

Dabookerman said:

Then either up your language proficiency or forget about it.

Crap, beaten, but there you go.

Amir0x

Banned
Why would you want to work in the game industry in JAPAN? Are you native Japanese? Do you speak it fluently?

If not then the advice would be to go work with a Western game company. Chances are, the work environment would be infinitely more inviting and you'll get along better too because you'll have the understanding required.

Only creepy weeaboos would want to work in the Japanese game industry if they don't know much Japanese.

Amir0x said:
Why would you want to work in the game industry in JAPAN? Are you native Japanese? Do you speak it fluently?

If not then the advice would be to go work with a Western game company. Chances are, the work environment would be infinitely more inviting and you'll get along better too because you'll have the understanding required.

Only creepy weeaboos would want to work in the Japanese game industry if they don't know much Japanese.

Fluency is the main thing. That, and understand the customs.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh hey, have you ever considered working in the Netherlands? I hear there's a dev there hiring.

Amir0x said:

Jeez, what the hell is this generalization? Is the game industry in Japan that bad that only "creepy weaboos" would want to work there? What if the guy wants to work on Mario instead of Gears?

Amir0x said:

Probably because he works in the game industry and wants to live in Japan? Or maybe not.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
BananaBomb said:
Jeez, what the hell is this generalization? Is the game industry in Japan that bad that only "creepy weaboos" would want to work there? What if the guy wants to work on Mario instead of Gears?

Hi, are you new here? Let me introduce you to Amir0x.

B-But fish is teh delicious.

Have you been there before? Perhaps you should take a vacation over there and be certain it's what you want to do. I went to Korea for a month with stars in my eyes and a pretty good grasp on the language, and it wasn't quite what I expected.

But anyways, good luck. And if you go, make me some good Jrpgs.

Amir0x said:

To be honest, it doesn't really have to be in the games industry. It could be any that I could utilize my skill in. I just want an excuse to work there for a year or two, that's all.
I already work in the games industry, and I'm sort of looking ahead really.

Amir0x

Banned
BananaBomb said:

Well it is pretty bad, but mostly the fact that the implication is that he doesn't speak fluent Japanese. Then, yes, you have to be a creepy weeaboo to want to work there

Dabookerman said:
To be honest, it doesn't really have to be in the games industry. It could be any that I could utilize my skill in. I just want an excuse to work there for a year or two, that's all.

Do what a large minority of Japan-obsessed GAF does, and do that teaching program thing?

I forgot what it is called. Although, i heard some really bad things about that teaching transfer program thing a year ago. Like some implosion of some sort.

Oxymoron

Dabookerman said:
Um, what is your skill? You don't even seem to mention that you have a specific area you're good in.

Oxymoron said:
Um, what is your skill? You don't even seem to mention that you have a specific area you're good in.

Well I'm a Character Artist. I aim to expand my skill set so I can work on CG/games/films etc.

Chinner said:
being able to name all 151 original pokemon.
It's funny you saying that. A few years ago, I could name the first 251 Pokemon. In order.

Oh. Also, I've been there already.

Mik2121

I've actually worked on a Japanese company already and I'm looking for job on a couple others. I've done the test for CAPCOM and a few other companies so I know what they ask you for, and trust me, if you even slightly like the kind of mood you get on US game companies, you will probably not like what's going on in Japanese game companies.

First, as for what they ask for:

- Level 1 or 2 of JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) (I have Lvl 2)
- Being able to fluently express your ideas in Japanese, besides just having whatever JLPT level you have
- 9 to 5 job with "zangyou" (working extra time), sometimes up to until 10pm in many companies.

These are some of the things that I've seen in most companies. Now, there's another difference between many US companies and many Japanese companies, at least as far as I know.
In many US companies, when you try to look for a job, you say you can do textures, or models, or concept art, or level design, etc.. In many Japanese companies you have to be able to draw pretty well besides doing 3D, even if you are never ever going to draw a single sketch in your job.

Other than this, you will have to stay with lots of incredibly ridiculous people that are stuck in the 90's and early 00's when Japan was the leader in the game industry and think of foreigners as people that "don't get it" (seriously, I've met a few of those even in my current school, and it's.. sad). But then again there's people like this everywhere, so whatever.

But if you ask me, right now there aren't all that many reasons to look for jobs in the Japanese gaming industry, unless you enjoy challenging yourself.

Ah, also, Japan has this weird thing where they do all the recruiting thing during the months of March up to September (with most ending in June/July, actually), so if you don't apply during that time, you will have to wait a year.
There are some companies like Grasshopper that don't work like this, though. But that company doesn't pay very well either, so I would not suggest it :p

EDIT - I actually forgot to say what the CAPCOM test was like. Basically they first ask you to fill in some curriculum and send it to them. Afterwards they call you in to this big event in some hotel where another 200+ people is applying for the same jobs. You are given a couple pages with "questions". Basically give you a couple themes and you have to choose one of them and make a drawing for it. Then they ask you some other stuff and whatnot.

After that, if you are lucky you get selected for the next 'round' where they do group interviews with another 6 or 7 people applying, plus the company president and a few other guys. IF you pass this one, you have yet another interview and you will get paid not very well for the first year, only to see if you can still stay there or not.
And all of this to make something like Lost Planet... (not that it was bad, but.. ehh...)

Amir0x

Banned
Dabookerman said:
Well I'm a Character Artist. I aim to expand my skill set so I can work on CG/games/films etc.

Wouldn't you have a better chance at meeting your goal if you went to a Western Company?

The main thing is "Why does it have to be in Japan?" Why do you want an excuse to live there for a year or two? What is your purpose?

The industry in Japan is an insulated, xenophobic thing. I hear the apologists rushing in to argue against it, but that's the truth. You're gonna to face extremely difficult hills to your dream if you want to work there and you don't know fluent Japanese or have never really been to Japan.

You're better off trying to expand your portfolio by working in the industry where you're best served, in some Western Company.

Mik2121 said:
I've actually worked on a Japanese company already and I'm looking for job on a couple others. I've done the test for CAPCOM and a few other companies so I know what they ask you for, and trust me, if you even slightly like the kind of mood you get on US game companies, you will probably not like what's going on in Japanese game companies.

First, as for what they ask for:

- Level 1 or 2 of JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) (I have Lvl 2)
- Being able to fluently express your ideas in Japanese, besides just having whatever JLPT level you have
- 9 to 5 job with "zangyou" (working extra time), sometimes up to until 10pm in many companies.

These are some of the things that I've seen in most companies. Now, there's another difference between many US companies and many Japanese companies, at least as far as I know.
In many US companies, when you try to look for a job, you say you can do textures, or models, or concept art, or level design, etc.. In many Japanese companies you have to be able to draw pretty well besides doing 3D, even if you are never ever going to draw a single sketch in your job.

Other than this, you will have to stay with lots of incredibly ridiculous people that are stuck in the 90's and early 00's when Japan was the leader in the game industry and think of foreigners as people that "don't get it" (seriously, I've met a few of those even in my current school, and it's.. sad). But then again there's people like this everywhere, so whatever.

But if you ask me, right now there aren't all that many reasons to look for jobs in the Japanese gaming industry, unless you enjoy challenging yourself.

Ah, also, Japan has this weird thing where they do all the recruiting thing during the months of March up to September (with most ending in June/July, actually), so if you don't apply during that time, you will have to wait a year.
There are some companies like Grasshopper that don't work like this, though. But that company doesn't pay very well either, so I would not suggest it :p

Thanks! Very insightful. I mean, going into this industry, I fully expected overtime. I've been doing some already, and really, I don't mind it. So that's the least of my worries. The only thing that's a major hurdle is the fact that I can't speak it all that well now. Well not at all now.. I forgot most of it ;x.

Amir0x said:
Wouldn't you have a better chance at meeting your goal if you went to a Western Company?

The main thing is "Why does it have to be in Japan?" Why do you want an excuse to live there for a year or two? What is your purpose?

The industry in Japan is an insulated, xenophobic thing. I hear the apologists rushing in to argue against it, but that's the truth. You're gonna to face extremely difficult hills to your dream if you want to work there and you don't know fluent Japanese or have never really been to Japan.

You're better off trying to expand your portfolio by working in the industry where you're best served, in some Western Company.

I don't aim just for Japan. I would, in my lifetime, love to be able to work in multiple countries, Canada, Germany, America (maybe) etc. Japan just simply happens to be on that list as well. I can't see it being a huge problem getting a job in Canada, especially for me anyway. If I was given a job, it would be very easy for me to go to Canada. Japan is a total unknown for me, hence why I made this thread.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I have a feeling Japan isn't exactly short on character artists. Although some bigger companies have expressed the desire to make more western-oriented games, so someone with experience in western designs might be useful.

Somnid

Somehow I don't think the prospects of a gaijin entering the dev community in Japan without some serious connections is a likely prospect. I'd love to do it but I don't really see how one would manage that. I'm curious about being able to somehow work in Japan through an American company or subsidiary though, that'd be pretty cool. Is there anyone on NeoGaf with even that sort of situation?

Nessus

It's hard enough for white people to find any work in Japan that isn't teaching English, let alone breaking into a rather insular industry that has been in decline for the better part of a decade.

entremet

Dabookerman said:
Thanks! Very insightful. I mean, going into this industry, I fully expected overtime. I've been doing some already, and really, I don't mind it. So that's the least of my worries. The only thing that's a major hurdle is the fact that I can't speak it all that well now. Well not at all now.. I forgot most of it ;x.

I don't aim just for Japan. I would, in my lifetime, love to be able to work in multiple countries, Canada, Germany, America (maybe) etc. Japan just simply happens to be on that list as well. I can't see it being a huge problem getting a job in Canada, especially for me anyway. If I was given a job, it would be very easy for me to go to Canada. Japan is a total unknown for me, hence why I made this thread.
I think he's just saying that you will have a big hill to climb without any basic fluency in the native language of said country and without any relevant contacts.

Mik2121

Dabookerman said:

Yeah, overtime is a given in this industry (see the deal with R* San Diego and RDR), but still sometimes shit can get crazy over here :lol . Anyway, dunno exactly what you want:

A) Work in Japan just because it's Japan, or
B) Work on a Japanese title, even if it's not from Japan.

If it's A, then yeah you will have to come. But if it's B, you might want a couple years until Japan receives the memo about outsourcing (they still don't seem to know shit about it) so you might be able to work on some Japanese companies from your country :p

As for what Tempy said, that's actually kinda true, lol. Japan is FULL of character artists (mostly manga, which is sort of starting to be considered "low level", thanks god..) and no environment artists nor anything. So dunno how it would be for you.

And Somnid, as I said, I already got a job here and I'm looking for my next one, on a game company. It's not impossible and you don't need connections. You need to know enough Japanese, know how the culture works and just work harder than the Japanese so that you get treated at their same level.. I think the lack of foreigners in Japanese game companies is pretty much because everyone says 'fuck it' after seeing how hard they make it for us. But still, not impossible.

Zenith said:
Be willing to work 16 hour days with no overtime pay.
See, now that's bullshit. You get paid overtime, and 25% extra of your normal salary (I guess the % might depend on the company? But still, yes, you get paid).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Two colleagues went off to work in Japan (KojiPro, Namco), but they're fluent in Japanese and have contacts in the gaming industry there.

I'd say you should at least keep studying Japanese if you're still interested. It'd be a long term goal. Try Canada first :p

Mik2121

Tempy said:
Two colleagues went off to work in Japan (KojiPro, Namco), but they're fluent in Japanese and have contacts in the gaming industry there.

I'd say you should at least keep studying Japanese if you're still interested. It'd be a long term goal. Try Canada first :p
That's cool. I didn't know there were any foreigners there. My '3D Animation' teacher is the guy that did the Snake (and other characters') animations :p

AniHawk

Hone the skill of doing what you're told very quietly for every hour of the day that you're paid.

If you're japanese though, go nuts and talk to anyone.

Tempy said:

Hmm yes :p

Well it certainly is a long term goal. I won't be going anywhere for a couple of years, but I do tend to think about my future, and I do tend to aim high. Case in point, I was looking at what kind of people Pixar hire. And for what I do, they won't have a job for me. All their characters are scanned in from maquettes. Sooo. It just means I know what I need to do to be able to achieve my goals. I like to plan ahead essentially. Maybe things will change, who knows, but I am quite ambitious in that sense. I predict, realistically, that if I do work abroad, Canada is the most likely of those places.

Equus Bellator Apex

Amir0x said:

146766_Weeaboo.jpg

Truespeed

So, I'm going to give you the real answer to what it takes to work in the Japanese games industry - the relentless pursuit of perfection. Wait, check that, that's what it takes to work in a Lexus factory. Getting back to the Japanese games industry - you need to be able to work 6 days a week and 12-14 hour days while being paid for only 40 hours and not complain. Also, crunch mode is considered an opportunity to differentiate yourself and show your loyalty. If you can do this then you may have a future in the Japanese games industry.

Somnid

Mik2121 said:
And Somnid, as I said, I already got a job here and I'm looking for my next one, on a game company. It's not impossible and you don't need connections. You need to know enough Japanese, know how the culture works and just work harder than the Japanese so that you get treated at their same level.. I think the lack of foreigners in Japanese game companies is pretty much because everyone says 'fuck it' after seeing how hard they make it for us. But still, not impossible.

That's encouraging and I'd be interested to see how your career progresses. Still, I have my doubts about long term prospects, and definitely I don't have much faith in Japanese meritocracy. Were you doing contract work or something? Why are you looking for a new job?

Smo21

if you want to get into Japan and be able to work the best was is to teach English. Once you're there and have a job you can start figuring out the rest

Smo21 said:
if you want to get into Japan and be able to work the best was is to teach English. Once you're there and have a job you can start figuring out the rest

Yeah but the Jet program is in danger. Not the best plan at the moment.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
Do you want to work 80 hour work weeks? One of my students that is a programmer for a software company does that every couple of weeks, he usually does 60 on a normal one, and he gets 0 overtime. Poor guy is a zombie.

Amir0x said:

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but have you lived in Japan and experienced this first hand because I've heard stories of foreigners being treated very well in the industry. That's not to say it isn't brutal but I have a hard time believing this isn't an exaggeration based on misconceptions.

Top Bottom