• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Female Heroes At Activision? (Gamastura Article)

Jex

Games with female leads don't sell. At least that's what Activision believes, looking at top software sellers in any given year for evidence and choosing only projects that go with the trend, sources claim.

In 2007, we're told the publisher even went so far as to change the protagonist in a new concept -- the project that would become True Crime 3 -- from a female to a male, on the rationale that the female wouldn't move software units.

Numerous former employees of the company's studios tell Gamasutra that Activision relies on focus tests to a contentious extent -- and the result is that according to our research, the only titles published by Activision since 2005 that feature female leads are licenses, like Barbie and Dora.

--------------------------------

It's important to stress that many publishers use focus testing and market trends to try to predict what will sell, and to some extent the design follows.

However, our sources contend that Activision corporate routinely takes this methodology to extremes, making the pioneering of new ideas difficult -- and, some believe, at the expense of not only innovation, but overall quality, as developers get instructions to re-work projects mid-stream to keep pace with checklists of gameplay trends, even against the better judgment of the design teams.

Look to that methodology to explain why all of Activision's flagship properties are male-led, says the source: "If Activision does not see a female lead in the top five games that year, they will not have a female lead," says the other source. "And the people that don't want a female lead will look at games like Wet and Bayonetta and use them as 'statistics' to 'prove' that female leads don't move mass units."

Characters like Tomb Raider's Lara Croft -- who's received modifications in recent years to show more spine than skin -- and Metroid's iconic Samus would seem to challenge the assertion that strong female heroes are not marketable. Audiences embraced Mirror's Edge tough-girl Faith, around whom EA's made no secret it plans to build a franchise, after the game's below-target sales numbers were chalked up to design issues and poor release timing, not the heroine.

An informal poll of gamers on Twitter hardly showed a preference for male leads. While many said the gender of their hero doesn't matter "as long as it's a fit" for the game's story, or as long as the hero "is well characterized", more respondents actually expressed a preference for female leads (with one common caveat: "as long as it's a real woman and not a seventh-grader's fantasy") and complained about the lack of diversity in games -- suggesting at a glance, at least, that there's a market opportunity for a strong heroine, not a net negative.

However, when contacted for comment on this article, Activision explicitly denied the assertions of the multiple sources cited on this piece. "Activision respects the creative vision of its development teams," said the company in a statement. "The company does not have a policy of telling its studios what game content they can develop, nor has the company told any of its studios that they cannot develop games with female lead characters."

Full, unedited article over at Gamastura (also see some stupid comments).

These claims, if true, are certainly interesting.

Lock if old, etc.

Jex

It's time like this I'd enjoy the ability to rewind time, post the 1up.com version of the article with a different name attached, and see what the first few responses would be.

Zoe

As disappointing as it is, I really doubt I would play any of those games anyway. Make more games that appeal to women first and then worry about equality.

Xater

Dance In My Blood said:
Oh look, it's Leigh Alexander.

Does that really matter? Female heroes are totally underrepresented and I would like to see that change. Diversity is pretty cool.

Oxymoron

gdt5016 said:
Who's Leigh Alexander?
A woman.

Covering games.

Worse than that: she's a feminist, and would like to see games have a lot less testerony "hells ya, brah" bullshit, and explore more different themes and characterisation.

You can probably see why a certain segment of GAF feels threatened by her.

KingJ2002

diversity is missing in video games period.

it's all bald space marines and aliens.

if there is any gender or race... it's a stereotyped caricature of them

and focus testing doesn't work well when it comes to bringing NEW ideas... then again... new ideas isn't really Activisions forte.

oracrest

Oxymoron said:
Worse than that: she's a feminist, and would like to see games have a lot less testerony "hells ya, brah" bullshit, and explore more different themes and characterisation.

That sounds like a good idea.

But she could work on her understanding of economics.

You people need to grow up.

As for the article, Activision, greedy assholes though they are, is in the right to do whatever they feel will bring them more money.

As a gamer, if you care anything for originality and such daring and unbelievable things as having a female (gasp! they don't even have penises!) as your game's protagonist, please support devs and publishers who make such cutting-edge decisions with your money.

pslong009

Neo Member
But if there were top-selling games that had female leads, Activision would likely put female leads in their games.

Activision isn't sexist.

They just have no original ideas. They're completely derivative. They're only going to follow market trends and present absolutely nothing new to the table. If you're looking for the future of gaming, don't look at Activision - because they seem to be set at looking at the past and duplicating it.

Johann

sflufan said:
This is why I DEMAND the return of Cate Archer!

Seirra Entertainment not only had published a lot of games featuring female protagonist, it also had some of the most talented women in the industry working on them.

Seirra is a part of Activision now.

mollipen

More character creation. Seriously! More more more. I'm going to pull a number out of my ass and say that at least 70%, if not more, of games would not be impacted negatively at all by killing the main character the developers created and instead making it a customizable character, ala Mass Effect.

That way, all of the little boys who are afraid to play anything other than a white male won't be threatened, and the people who want actual diversity in gender and race can be tossed at least somewhat of a bone.

And I'm really not all that familiar with Leigh except for a few things, but this

and would like to see games have a lot less testerony "hells ya, brah" bullshit, and explore more different themes and characterisation.

I'm right there with her on.

The only female leads that tend to sell to dudebro gamers these days are ones like Lara Croft, or as busty ensemble members in JRPGs or fighters.

I wish there were more leads like Jade from BG&E or Faith from Mirror's Edge; they were great characters. Cate Archer from NOLF was awesome, too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Johann said:
Seirra Entertainment not only had published a lot of games featuring female protagonist, it also had some of the most talented women in the industry working on them.

Seirra is a part of Activision now.
However, it's notable that the vast majority of Sierra was closed down after the Activision Blizzard merger.

They even sold off most of their IPs to other companies and shut down or spun off most of their studios.

Though it's also worth noting that Sierra itself was very unprofitable at the end...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oxymoron said:

To be fair, it doesn't make you a feminist or have any kind of female 'agenda' to want less of the mentioned bullshit.

Themes and characterisation are genderless. People can excel at exploring different ones without pidgeonholing it into simple gender wars.

I personally feel like Activision is honing in on one particular formula that they feel is going to be a never-ending fountain of cash, Koei/Musou style. And so far, they're not wrong.

We need to get out and show them that we value more than soulless, faceless (literally; just look at the covers of the last 4(!) Call of Duty/Modern Warfare games), repetitive and grindy bro-yeah shooters.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Xater said:
Does that really matter? Female heroes are totally underrepresented and I would like to see that change. Diversity is pretty cool.
It does matter. Why do you think she wrote this piece now with a slant against Activision? Clearly this piece was predicated as a slam against Activision for anything Leigh could think up, and once again she cries foul about someone hating women.

This piece could have just as easily been about a myriad of companies, but instead it singles out Activision and praises a number of companies for aging titles. This article is whining about women not being in games because of the success of an NFL game, a war game, and Assassin's Creed, a game about a time when most when probably rarely strayed from home unless it was to buy dinner. The article is just stupid, vindictive, and anything but subtle about its agenda.

Johann

shidoshi said:
That way, all of the little boys who are afraid to play anything other than a white male won't be threatened, and the people who want actual diversity in gender and race can be tossed at least somewhat of a bone.

Actually, studies show that in games with character creation tools, such as online RPGs and the Sims, men aren't afraid to play as a female avatar. Some male players are likely to have more female characters than male on their MMO account since they like the 'look' of the women better. Female players, on the other hand, rarely play as male characters since they find it weird and the male characters aren't attractive.

Jex

Mafro said:
Knew it would be Leigh Alexander as soon as I saw the thread title.

Now I'm sure - I definitely know I should have posted the other version of this story to avoid comments like these. Ah well!

Dude Abides

Banned
oracrest said:
That sounds like a good idea.

But she could work on her understanding of economics.

Did you read the article or the OP? She addressed the banal and obvious "Activision is just following the market" argument that the armchair David Ricardos are making.

It's important to stress that many publishers use focus testing and market trends to try to predict what will sell, and to some extent the design follows.

However, our sources contend that Activision corporate routinely takes this methodology to extremes, making the pioneering of new ideas difficult -- and, some believe, at the expense of not only innovation, but overall quality, as developers get instructions to re-work projects mid-stream to keep pace with checklists of gameplay trends, even against the better judgment of the design teams.

Dance In My Blood said:
It does matter. Why do you think she wrote this piece now with a slant against Activision? Clearly this piece was predicated as a slam against Activision for anything Leigh could think up, and once again she cries foul about someone hating women.

This piece could have just as easily been about a myriad of companies, but instead it singles out Activision and praises a number of companies for aging titles. This article is whining about women not being in games because of the success of an NFL game, a war game, and Assassin's Creed, a game about a time when most when probably rarely strayed from home unless it was to buy dinner. The article is just stupid, vindictive, and anything but subtle about its agenda.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about this post!

Oxymoron

pslong009 said:
But if there were top-selling games that had female leads, Activision would likely put female leads in their games.

Activision isn't sexist.

They just have no original ideas. They're completely derivative. They're only going to follow market trends and present absolutely nothing new to the table. If you're looking for the future of gaming, don't look at Activision - because they seem to be set at looking at the past and duplicating it.
I agree that Activision isn't particularly sexist, but it's not just an Activision problem, it's an industry problem. I can't think of many memorable strong female characters in videogames, but that's mostly because the industry is almost entirely male. You see the same thing at Pixar: they're a bunch of male geeks, so they don't have many female characters in their movies.
The onus isn't on us, as gamers, to deal with it. It's on the industry to make an effort to recruit more females to work in it, in art and story and programming, and get viewpoints other than that of a young white male.

VaLiancY

I don't think it's sexist, maybe it isn't profitable or like some people already said it's all military machoism that has been in gaming for a while now. No one wants or knows how to make female leads that aren't cookie cutter tough girl.

captmcblack said:
I wish there were more leads like Jade from BG&E or Faith from Mirror's Edge; they were great characters. Cate Archer from NOLF was awesome, too.

THIS.

April from The Longest Journey is another good one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jexhius said:
Now I'm sure - I definitely know I should have posted the other version of this story to avoid comments like these. Ah well!
You still have time.

There is a surprisingly large number of people who don't read threads past the OP. :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
captmcblack said:
The only female leads that tend to sell to dudebro gamers these days are ones like Lara Croft, or as busty ensemble members in JRPGs or fighters.

Faith was pretty bland. Having a small chest doesn't make up for a lack of personality or good character development. That's the problem with video game characters in general, male or female.

Empty

Mafro said:
Knew it would be Leigh Alexander as soon as I saw the thread title.

me too, as y'know, she both writes for gamasutra and has an interest in the role of women in games, but i also knew exactly why jexhius didn't include her name in the op. unfortunately his noble attempts to stop posters de-railing the thread by going all ad-hominem because of how ridiculously she acted while drunk, as well as using the opportunity to shit out 'lolololol feminism is dumb loolololol' comments, didn't work.

Jex

Dance In My Blood said:

I'm glad we can get this level of comments on NeoGaf.

Dance In My Blood said:
This piece could have just as easily been about a myriad of companies, but instead it singles out Activision and praises a number of companies for aging titles.

Well, you're wrong here.

Mainly because it's dealing with reports from "sources" at Activision, about Activsion games, and Activision business practice. Practices, not unique to Activision of course, but this article actually deals with specific games from that publisher.

So no, it had to be about Activision.

Dance In My Blood said:
This article is whining about women not being in games because of the success of an NFL game, a war game, and Assassin's Creed, a game about a time when most when probably rarely strayed from home unless it was to buy dinner. The article is just stupid, vindictive, and anything but subtle about its agenda.

Very insightful of you. Derp derp, and the like.

Oxymoron

You know, it might have been poor judgement for Leigh Alexander to get on that podcast smashed as she was, but I'd really hate if it were me, and people used laughing at some dumb shit I said when I was drunk as a substitute for engaging my arguments and points of view.

VaLiancY said:
I don't think it's sexist, maybe it isn't profitable or like some people already said it's all military machoism that has been in gaming for a while now. No one wants or knows how to make female leads that aren't cookie cutter tough girl.

No one in the industry knows how to make female leads that aren't cookie cutter tough girl. That can change.

Weenerz

Banned
Activision might be the devil, but I don't see many other game companies using female leads either. Were they named? Or is this just a smear campaign against one company?

mollipen

thebaroness said:
She played Persona 3 Portable as a girl and now is on a rampage about female leads. :/

Not joking, I watch her twitter.

To be fair, her write-up about her feelings on playing a female in P3P on Kotaku made a lot of really interesting and valid points. Also to be fair, I have not yet myself played P3P yet, so I don't know for sure that I will (or will not) feel the same way while playing the female lead.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Oxymoron said:
I agree that Activision isn't particularly sexist, but it's not just an Activision problem, it's an industry problem. I can't think of many memorable strong female characters in videogames, but that's mostly because the industry is almost entirely male. You see the same thing at Pixar: they're a bunch of male geeks, so they don't have many female characters in their movies.
The onus isn't on us, as gamers, to deal with it. It's on the industry to make an effort to recruit more females to work in it, in art and story and programming, and get viewpoints other than that of a young white male.
left-4-dead-2-presales.jpg

take your pic.

Oxymoron said:
No one in the industry knows how to make female leads that aren't cookie cutter tough girl. That can change.
I don't think they know how to make male characters that aren't "badass" either.

But whatever. Video games are a bushiness, with I feel for many things like artistic creativity a distinct 2nd. So, its not very surprising that Activision follows through with these practices to determine things like game characters.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Dance In My Blood said:
Oh look, it's Leigh Alexander.
Well there goes the thread...

Top Bottom