• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II: No overhead view on PC, no toolset, audience is on consoles

Ventrue

It's because the textures are too good.

French Magazine said:
[Mag] Why did you leave/forsake the "a la Baldur's gate" view on PC of the first Dragon Age?
[Mike Laidlaw]For budgetary reasons, we focused our work on a 3rd person view, that asks for very detailed and nice textures so that the player can admire the game with a close-up view. With an aerial view [isometric] we should cover much more ground and so create other textures. Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience"
He does not say though if it is because the game engine could not handle all the zoom out with highly detailed textures. Isometric view means more informations on screen after all.

[Mag] Will you release a toolset for DAO 2?
[Mike Laidlaw] To be short, DAO 2 will not have a toolset. I think that DAO I toolset is very powerful but very complicated" [Then they speak of the fan made campaigns possibility for DAO 1 (too little time since last November to create full campaigns, it usually takes years (so only "simple" mods have been produced so far, but this is about DAO I and not DAO II). Once again, Mike Laidlaw does not give any detail on the reasons of this decision.]

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
120no5y.jpg

I'm confused, so there's no isometric view in DA2?

Wasn't the PC SKU the highest selling version?

The toolset thing I kinda almost understand but since they did all the work for the first game and the sequal is running on the same old shitty engine its hardly going to require a great deal of work. Way to shit on the most loyal section of your fanbase.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Guys over at CD Projekt must be laughing their asses off right now. Bioware fucked this release up pretty good. :lol

KaYotiX

Banned
so the original was amazing on the pc and kinda bad on consoles, so the only reason is to make the pc version more like the console version???

WTF!!!

Parham

Banned
Only demoing the Xbox 360 version at Comic-Con was a pretty clear indication that they changed their lead platform.

This is translated from a French magazine isn't it? There is a huge chance for a few words to get badly translated and the meaning of the whole thing to change.

Ridley327

Circle of Willis said:
I thought they already confirmed that they weren't messing with the combat on the PC version?
Well, they never did specify anything outside of the general combat commands.

Seriously, this is all dumb.

duckroll

Guys, you're all focusing on the wrong issue here. Clearly the important one is that the textures are too good! :lol

Mad_Ban

What a shitty excuse to not include the isometric view.

Just because consoles with 512MB of RAM and video cards from 2005 can't handle it, it doesn't mean those of us who can should suffer for it.

Again, didn't we get sales figures at some point that said the PC version was the highest selling SKU or am I remembering incorrectly? It certainly never appeared as though the PC version underperformed and that's because it was, well, a PC game. Where is the sense in a decision like this? I thought the combat on the console version was universally panned?

coopolon

That's too bad. While I personally don't mind this game turning into more of an ARPG, I also was really happy that they were giving people the option between the two versions. Now clearly they are both going to be streamlined ARPGs.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn. As a console gamer this doesn't really effect me, but still...damn.
I hate to see Bioware taking the PC version in the wrong direction like this, my sympathies for all the PC gamers.

Mrbob

Bye bye Bioware. Nice knowing you as a PC developer.

Bioware stated Dragon Age sold above expectations on PC. So lets take away PC features those in the first game bought it for!

Zeliard

brain_stew said:
Again, didn't we get sales figures at some point that said the PC version was the highest selling SKU or am I remembering incorrectly? It certainly never appeared as though the PC version underperformed and that's because it was, well, a PC game. Where is the sense in a decision like this? I thought the combat on the console version was universally panned?

They're going to make it more action-y this time around.

I guess, the console versions get the brunt of the criticism, so they concentrate on improving those. The PC gets the shaft because they're more concerned with consoles and want to get the games out within a certain release window.

It's time for Irrational to step up.

I bought Dragon Age on 360, but any idiot could tell that it was a PC game. I never really got into it after seeing screens of the PC version with the zoomed out view and hud layout for m/kb.....it's obvious that was how it was meant to be played. I feel sorry for you PC guys now. It may have sold better on consoles, but the audience is on PC.

Bioware you fucked up big time

Edit: I'll be the first to suggest that EA probably had some hand in moving towards the console versions.

Pooya

Didn't they say PC version is unchanged or something like that? :O
PC version is highest rated and most successful version of DA, Why would they do this?

This is taking the place of Invisible War as the worst sequel ever :lol

Parham

Banned
brain_stew said:
They've changed the combat in the Xbox 360 version to be much more action oriented. From what I have played, it feels more like an action RPG with squad commands than it does a traditional isometric RPG.

panda21

what a hell.

not allowing you to zoom out above was one of the most baffling things they fucked up in the console version. i mean performance wise surely theres less in your view if you are looking down at the ground?

dont care about the toolset since that stuff is always janky anyway

Ridley327

Zeliard said:
They're going to make it more action-y this time around.

I guess, the console versions get the brunt of the criticism, so they concentrate on improving those. The PC gets the shaft because they're more concerned with consoles and want to get the games out within a certain release window.

It's time for Irrational to step up.
They finally found super success by targeting Bioshock for consoles. I don't think that their next project is going to deviate too far from that idea.

~Kinggi~ said:
Guys over at CD Projekt must be laughing their asses off right now. Bioware fucked this release up pretty good. :lol

Even if CD Projekt is teh shit now a days, I am not quite there where it's easy to laugh at Bioware. I just wonder if we will see an interview from some person who will flatout ask a question like; "Are you aware of the backslash and dissapointment you guys will face because of this? What on earth gives the second game, the same sort of values than the first, when you are stripping it for all these things?"

I was positively surprised at both DAO and ME2, so I will have to see it to believe it, that they screw this up. I can only hope they have so much confidence in their new campaign.

Zeliard

Ridley327 said:
They finally found super success by targeting Bioshock for consoles. I don't think that their next project is going to deviate too far from that idea.

I don't expect it to, but one can dream.

Grayman

wow. lets ruin a good thing as fast as possible in as many ways as possible.

Time to get into my zeppelin and throw silver dollars at the peasants.

Top Bottom