• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II: No overhead view on PC, no toolset, audience is on consoles

Cartman86

Banned
Hate overhead views with a passion. They go along with loading screens with random images/hints, and mid mission load out screens as immersion breaking BS for me. Still it's too bad the option isn't there for people who like them. Not going to pretend I know the circumstances though. Time is money after all.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
aeolist said:
What higher margins on consoles? They don't have to pay Microsoft a license fee to put a game out on Windows.
No, but in general console games sell at full retail for far longer than their PC counterparts, also Steam sales etc.

brain_stew said:
Then slap a big warning on the isometric view setting saying that the visuals aren't optimised for this mode or something. I doubt anyone one will care that their fugly game looks a little uglier than before when it actually plays much better. No one is going to play DA2 for the visuals.
Indeed, This is all because the console version of Dragon Age was a poor relation to the PC edition. Note to Bioware, don't fuck the PC edition to rectify it, improve the Console version to match the PC. This is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Draft

:lol

Boy, a lot of the DA2 defense squad looks pretty silly right now! Bububu, people said the same things before DA1 came out!

Maybe the French mag got it wrong, or it's a mistranslation. Probably not, though.

Dragon Age :lol :lol

Chrange

Banned
Mrbob said:
Bye bye Bioware. Nice knowing you as a PC developer.

Bioware stated Dragon Age sold above expectations on PC. So lets take away PC features those in the first game bought it for!

Maybe they had low expectations?

I don't know why people get so upset about it. They're following the money and obviously don't believe the money is there on the PC platform. What were they supposed to do...concentrate on the PC versions until they closed their doors? EA's not a patient overlord :lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Emonk said:
I try really hard to not overreact to news about a game before it comes out, but I have not heard one thing at all about Dragon Age II that I've liked. It's like a little piece of me dies every time there is new information about it.

I feel the same exact way. I just checked my Steam. 123 hours played of Dragon Age: Origins. More than 15 in Awakenings.

Number of hours I'm going to play Dragon Age II....zero.

MrHicks said:
valve = multiplat @ this point
how is that wrong??
again for fucks sake

Oh, shut the fuck up. You do this same shit in every thread. If we could search your post count, I doubt you'd have more than 5 posts about anything else. We're not talking about Valve. Go peddle your horseshit elsewhere.

Splatt said:
What the fuck. What's with the latest trend of mutilation of PC ports. I fully expect the next news to be that Bioware adopted Ubisoft BS DRM measures.

Goddamn it... it's like the world is spinning in the backwards direction!

The completely ridiculous part was that the original Dragon Age was a great example of how to do multiplatform development right. It was tailored to the target platform and took advantage of the uniqueness of the PC platform and it was rewarded with great sales. If you succeed where so many fail then why the hell would you go and make everyone else's mistakes when you come to create a sequal.

bluedeviltron said:
Nobody cared about the toolset, and nobody used the overhead view of Dragon Age.

Now that that's out of the way, bring on DAII PC.

2mg6o38.jpg

Ventrue

Draft said:

Boy, a lot of the DA2 defense squad looks pretty silly right now! Bububu, people said the same things before DA1 came out!

To be fair, I posted that, and started this thread. :p

I'm not totally sold on the hatefest, despite the wording of the OP, but I am a little peeved that there won't be toolset support and disappointed that the game is apparently so dramatically changed.

Mrbob

MrHicks said:
valve = multiplat @ this point
how is that wrong??

again for fucks sake

This is your original post:

MrHick said:
valve isn't really a PC dev anymore
everything they make is available 360

they are multiplat at this point

You said they aren't a PC dev, yet everything they do is still made with PC in mind for Steam. You also forgot PS3 and MAC. Valve's goal is to get Steam on every platform eventually, but they doesn't make the fact they focus on PC first and foremost.

Alien Swarm was just released for free on Steam, and Valve is also making a DOTA clone. Their games still have the best support on PC, how are they not still a PC dev?

I just wonder if there will come a time when their games simply just make more money on consoles, regardless of how many times they sell Left 4 Dead 2 for 10 bucks on Steam.

Doubtful, unless Steam is going away. Their games are a gateway to the Steam platform.

raphier

Banned
Sounds like Dragon Age 2 is being rushed on a small budget, creating all these constraints. Fucking EA, ofcourse.

Jin34

WanderingWind said:
I am an incandescent ball of fiery rage.

Fuck you glenboy. Fuck you so much.

Goddman wtf. I see this all the time, instead of fighting to have all the extra features too; people prefer they be stripped from the PC. Race to the bottom.

Stop It

Draft said:

Bastard :(
Interfectum said:
:lol bioware :lol
Bastard :(

raphier said:
Sounds like Dragon Age is being rushed on small budget.
Possible, after all I have to wonder just how much of Bioware has been assigned onto the monster project that is Star Wars: The Old Republic. This may be just a fig leaf hiding the fact that this is just an exceptionally cheap cash in to try to re-coup the very large initial cost of the Dragon Age IP.

MrHicks

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Oh, shut the fuck up. You do this same shit in every thread. If we could search your post count, I doubt you'd have more than 5 posts about anything else. We're not talking about Valve. Go peddle your horseshit elsewhere.

someone else brought up valve not me as an example of remaining PC devs
i called valve pretty much a multiplat dev

and all of a sudden i'm mr troll up here
cannot fucking believe these replies man

Stop It said:
No, but in general console games sell at full retail for far longer than their PC counterparts, also Steam sales etc.

Indeed, This is all because the console version of Dragon Age was a poor relation to the PC edition. Note to Bioware, don't fuck the PC edition to rectify it, improve the Console version to match the PC. This is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Why this is so difficult to grasp, heaven only knows. All games are better on the PC, I think console gamers are pretty accepting of that, so purposefully making your PC SKU worse in order to improve console sales hardly seems like a smart business decision.

Mrbob

Chrange said:

I don't know why people get so upset about it. They're following the money and obviously don't believe the money is there on the PC platform. What were they supposed to do...concentrate on the PC versions until they closed their doors? EA's not a patient overlord :lol

Do you have data, because there is nothing to suggest the 360 version of Dragon Age sold much better than the PC version worldwide. I guarantee Dragon Age 2 will sell much better on 360 though.

This sounds like a case of short development cycle equals streamlined development.

Zeliard

Chrange said:

It seems impossible that it didn't sell well. Steam doesn't release sales, but DA:O was on top of the Steam charts for quite a while, and that was both the regular and the more pricey ($64.99) Deluxe version. PC games also have far greater legs than console games.

Draft said:

Maybe the French mag got it wrong, or it's a mistranslation. Probably not, though.

The difference is also that the first DA was criticized pre-release for its shit-rock marketing (and also art style/setting to an extent), not its gameplay mechanics.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
MrHicks spews more gibberish about Valve and then has the audacity to feign surprise when people call him on it. News at 11.

Cartman86 said:
Hate overhead views with a passion. They go along with loading screens with random images/hints, and mid mission load out screens as immersion breaking BS for me. Still it's too bad the option isn't there for people who like them. Not going to pretend I know the circumstances though. Time is money after all.

Fucking hell. It was the way that the game was supposed to be played. Removing it means that DA2 is a completely different game.

Cartman86 said:

Coding a new camera viewpoint in a 3D videogame is hardly rocket science or an expensive endeavor especially when the engine is already built for it in the first place.

raphier said:
Sounds like Dragon Age 2 is being rushed on a small budget, creating all these constraints. Fucking EA, ofcourse.
Actually this is what I probably believe after reading your post. If Dragon Age 2 is coming out early next year, the cuts are most likely being made because of budget and time constraints rather than pure disregard and maliciousness towards anyone who would be playing it on PC.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
brain_stew said:
Coding a new camera viewpoint in a 3D videogame is hardly rocket science or an expensive endeavor especially when the engine is already built for it in the first place.

Exactly. The camera viewpoint is already fucking there. They had to go out of their way to remove it. Plus the removal of the toolset...

...oh FUCK. They're going to sell us the isometric camera angle mod, aren't they? FUCK!

Mr_Zombie

I think I'm more mad at the lack of Toolset. While I agree that there aren't many (if any) custom campaigns, it helped improve lots of fuck-ups in the game (interface, glitches, faces, balance), add new models and textures etc. It even allows to create better characters thanks to much more availible options (compared to the toolset, the in-game character creator is very limited).

If those words are true, then fuck you Bioware. :/

I'm playing through DA:O right now and I can't fathom playing this game without the isometric view.

I'm guessing that they'll piece meal itemization even further like ME2. Players will be using the same weapons/armor the whole game unless they preorder at GS...

Ventrue

Mr_Zombie said:
I think I'm more mad at the lack of Toolset. While I agree that there aren't many (if any) custom campaigns, it helped improve lots of fuck-ups in the game (interface, glitches, faces, balance), add new models and textures etc. It even allows to create better characters thanks to much more availible options (compared to the toolset, the in-game character creator is very limited).

If those words are true, then fuck you Bioware. :/

It's worth noting that there are several worthwhile custom campaigns under development; they just take time. But by the time they are done, DAII will be out...

Stop It

brain_stew said:
Why this is so difficult to grasp, heaven only knows. All games are better on the PC, I think console gamers are pretty accepting of that, so purposefully making your PC SKU worse in order to improve console sales hardly seems like a smart business decision.
Well, I would qualify that by saying all PC games have the potential to be better on PC than their console brethren, as there have been PC ports past and present that have been truly dire.

As I just edited above, this may not be entirely Biowares fault. Dragon Age had a long, turbulent and expensive dev process. EA may not be willing to let Bioware have as many resources as they would like for this sequel, and coupled with the fact that they would like higher console sales, may have forced this decision onto them.

It doesn't make it right, as it is still a very short-sighted decision, but I don't think Bioware have made it out of spite. I haven't really seen any evidence to suggest that they would wilfully screw over their PC audience. Further to this the initial looks at Dragon Age 2 have been pretty laughable, so maybe we're better off forgetting about the IP and remembering the good times with Dragon Age, and hope that the modding community comes to the rescue.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I was so happy for Dragon Age 1, I thought BG2 rpg era will be back... guess I won't be getting DA2 after all =/

What's next? No mod for TES5? everything will be DLC?

firehawk12 said:
I just wonder if there will come a time when their games simply just make more money on consoles, regardless of how many times they sell Left 4 Dead 2 for 10 bucks on Steam.

Each sale of a Valve game is a new Steam user or a previous user more entrenched in the community and more beholden to the platform and each and every penny generated from a Steam copy goes direct to Valve's coffers. A $10 sale of L4D2 to a new Steam user is worth more to Valve than a $60 copy sold on the 360 at retail, why do you think they have just given away two highly polished, high quality games recently? You think they like throwing cash away or something?

zoku88

Lostconfused said:
Actually this is what I probably believe after reading your post. If Dragon Age 2 is coming out early next year, the cuts are most likely being made because of budget and time constraints rather than pure disregard and maliciousness towards anyone who would be playing it on PC.
Yea, except this is freakin isometric view. I doubt cutting it saves them any significant time. I'm sure it's just blatant disregard.

Cartman86

Banned
brain_stew said:

Well they said for budget reasons they couldn't handle it. What else can be said? They are lying?

ArjanN

From everything I've heard they seem to be taking DA2 a lot more in the direction of Mass Effect 2. I like that, because Dragon Age felt kind of stuck halfway between Baldurs Gate and Mass Effect.

And to be honest I don't mind if they make the combat more action-based, even with the zoomed out view there was nothing really tactical about the combat in Dragon Age 1 anyway.

zoku88 said:
Yea, except this is freakin isometric view. I doubt cutting it saves them any significant time.

I think it actually does cost them a lot of time. Because you have to design the areas to also be seen and look good from a much higher viewpoint.

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:

Which is a bit silly since they're unnecessarily adding full voice-over to what were previously silent lines of dialogue, which costs them both more time and money, as would these mythical "high production values" they keep going on about when it comes to the visuals.

Cartman86 said:
Well they said for budget reasons they couldn't handle it. What else can be said? They are lying?

Uh yes? Read the post from their forums. Dragon Age was unquestionably meant to be played on PC. They're gimping the PC version so that little console kiddies don't get upset that they aren't getting the best version.

Wow, and after all that "this is our love letter to PC gaming!"-talk with the first one. That’s a really scummy move on their part.

But really, all things considered, the first game turned out to be kind of shitty except for the setting (generic plotline, easy combat, unbalanced classes, weird encounter balance, pretty bad writing (for video game standards), extremely shitty loot, horrible “pay for cheats in disguise”-DLC etc. etc.). It was fun to plow through once but the more I thought about the game as a whole the more disappointed I became with it. In comparison to BG -- the comparison that they drew themselves, all the time – it was a very watered-down RPG experience. If they strive to make the sequel be even less than that (ME -> ME2) and cater to the console crowd then I’m really not interested to see where they go with the series.

zoku88

Why do people keep on bringing up Witcher, btw? I played a bit of the Witcher and it seems like a totally different game. (didn't really seem like my cup of tea from what I've played.)

Salsa

Well fuck you Bioware.

Seems like theyre gonna pull a Mass Effect 2, only in that game it kinda made sense. Why the fuck would you make an RPG inspired by Baldur´s Gate less complicated ?

I blame pirates.

Draft

There's more to the camera angle than engine code. Encounter design is going to start with how the player is viewing and controlling the action. Over the shoulder is fundamentally different from isometric, and really requires a whole different approach in terms of enemy behavior, spell behavior, room design, etc.

Bioware has decided to focus on the console audience because Bioware has that hunger. They've got that 4 million unit hunger, the kind that can only be satisfied by being a super hit on the Xbox. They want DA2 to be an Assassin's Creed 2 level hit. A Gears level hit. Dare I say, a MW2 level hit.

Someone's crunched numbers, and the 1 million guaranteed sales of a PC game built for PC gamers just isn't as enticing as the potential of 5 million sales across Xbox/PS3/PC if they can nail the marketing and timing (and if the game's OK enough to get the requisite 9s from mainstream publications.)

~Kinggi~

Banned
zoku88 said:
Why do people keep on bringing up Witcher, btw? I played a bit of the Witcher and it seems like a totally different game. (didn't really seem like my cup of tea from what I've played.)
Im more thinking along the lines that the Witcher 2 seems like it is leading the way for PC RPGS, and is releasing around the same time Dragon Age 2 is releasing. And of course, Dragon Age 2 is appearing as not quite the improvement the Witcher 2 is seeming to be. At least we all hope the games are good. It might be reversed come release date.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Cartman86 said:

Well every dollar they saved is a dollar earned. I guess they think that PC gamers have no other RPG to play, and most money will be from console anyway.

Top Bottom