• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
Welp, at least a non-retina icon is a good indication of the app itself not supporting the retina display either.

quetz67

Banned
Painraze said:
Yup... it's as simple as creating a 114x114 pic and saving as "Icon@2x.png"

It's crazy that new games come out and just don't throw that in.
maybe they just dont want to raise false expectations

quetz67 said:
maybe they just dont want to raise false expectations

It's not false expectation if you say nothing about supporting retina graphics on your description. There's no need for uglyness in my phone's menu though.

Remy

Neowiz has released Tap Sonic onto the Korean app store. People familiar with DJ Max will recognize a lot of the artists (Mr. Sonic, ND Lee, Planetboom).

Game plays like the Guitar Hero version did, but the graphics are very clean and the framerate is damn fast.

Weird business model: it's free, a handful of the songs are free, and some of the songs cost 15 "music points", which you get 300 of at the beginning. You have to buy points to refill them, although the rate for them is pretty fair (1000 points for $1). Still would need a Korean form of payment, though.

the TMO

Is there a way to get contents from the other stores without consequences?
I mean itunes doesent support multiple accounts right?

japtor

the TMO said:
Is there a way to get contents from the other stores without consequences?
I mean itunes doesent support multiple accounts right?
You can, and it does. I forget how to switch stores on iOS but on iTunes there's a round flag icon somewhere which lets you change stores. From there you can select a free app to download, then you can make a new account for that region (may be varying difficulty, I did Japan with a simple guide I found online), and download from that store with that new account.

I think on iOS you go into Settings->App Store and sign out, then into your new account. I'm pretty sure that works to change the store (might be the only way?), and from there you can to to the App Store and download stuff from that region.

Updates work across regions, like if Jubeat and some US game both have updates available and I hit "update all" it'll ask for both regions' accounts' passwords.

I just got an iPad this weekend, what are the must own gamezzzz?

I'm an iPhone owner since day 1, so I'm looking for games that provide a different or unique experience for iPad. Any good, tactical strategy games available?

wondermega

Our new contest is a go! Compete for high scores daily, win prizes. Today's prize is $4.99 iTunes credit, tomorrow's prize is a copy of Dead Space! TONS of other indie devs stepped up to help contribute, so support us all and check it out (you'll see their names trickle in as the contest gets further underway, each day)

Fusebox

Banned
Keen to try Dead Space HD but I've got so many iOS games on the burner, will have to wait for the inevitable sale.

MrCompletely said:
I just got an iPad this weekend, what are the must own gamezzzz?

I really like World of Goo, PvZ HD and Aralon HD.

Ninja Dom

Today I decided to put some time into Mushihimesama Bug Panic by Cave on iPhone 4. After the incredible Espgaluda 2 and DoDonPachi Ressurection on iOS. I was expecting good things from this. I knew in advance it wasn't an arcade shooter like the others.

I'm in the middle of the second world (Desert) but I'm just not feeling this game. I think Cave messed up.

Has anyone played this game? Does it get any better? I expected this to be a lot better.

Psy-Phi

Ninja Dom said:
Today I decided to put some time into Mushihimesama Bug Panic by Cave on iPhone 4. After the incredible Espgaluda 2 and DoDonPachi Ressurection on iOS. I was expecting good things from this. I knew in advance it wasn't an arcade shooter like the others.

I'm in the middle of the second world (Desert) but I'm just not feeling this game. I think Cave messed up.

Has anyone played this game? Does it get any better? I expected this to be a lot better.

I thoroughly enjoy the game. It gets more frantic as you go on, but otherwise you know what it's like already. Like all Cave games, start out with all of your abilities but gets more and more demanding of your ability to dodge while still hitting the enemies that you need to, and of course keeping your score multiplier up.

Just finished Game Dev Story - boy, was that addictive... I played nearly non-stop, at every possibly opportunity for about 3 days. I was sort of surprised when it ended, as I didn't know there was a 20 year cap (I hadn't even designed a console yet, and didn't know the goal was to increase capital!).

I had a TON of fun with it, but I can't see myself playing it again, so it's off my iPhone for now. In any case, I highly recommend it, even at full price!

£3.99 for Dead Space is pretty reasonable, but I don't have the money to spare at the mo. (Only just able to afford Dead Space 2 on console)

Do want to hear impressions though, especially about the controls. Will be waiting eagerly for a price drop or an excess of cash on my part.

randomwab

Dead Space is niiiiiiiiice.

Just ran through the first two chapters. Controls are great. Movement is controlled by touching anywhere on the left side of the screen (pushing up a bit walks, a bit further runs), while aiming is done by touching anywhere on the right. Tapping on the screen aims your gun, while tapping again fires. Tilting the device changes the firing mode.

You also get a plasma sword, which you can use by swiping over an arrow when given the choice, like to cut the cables in a box or cut the limb off an attacking enemy. Stasis is handled by touching the module on your back when aiming, while the kinetic stuff is done by touching an icon when looking at boxes.

It looks fantastic too. I'm playing on an iPhone 4 and it's really crisp and runs at a really damn smooth framerate.

I'd say if you have any passing interest in the console Dead Space titles, grab this. I'm impressed at how well it has translated over to iPhone.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Guys, I always wanted to know how's Sonic 4 Ep1?
I only played the 360 demo and while obviously not really Sonic 4 I didn't think it was bad either. Also, is it playable on the iPad and how does it look on that?
I'm also interested on Monkey Ball 2 Sakura for the iPad.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
randomlyrossy said:
£3.99 for Dead Space is pretty reasonable, but I don't have the money to spare at the mo. (Only just able to afford Dead Space 2 on console)

Do want to hear impressions though, especially about the controls. Will be waiting eagerly for a price drop or an excess of cash on my part.
Don't worry, it's EA. I'm sure it'll be .99 in a week. And then .99 every three days thereafter.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Question as a new Touch owner: yall use any protective touch screens? I'm using my PSPGO extra film screen right now for the Touch but I just got my stylus in and it's not responding all that well. Has anyone gone non-protective screen-less?

hyp

randomwab said:
Dead Space is niiiiiiiiice.

Just ran through the first two chapters. Controls are great. Movement is controlled by touching anywhere on the left side of the screen (pushing up a bit walks, a bit further runs), while aiming is done by touching anywhere on the right. Tapping on the screen aims your gun, while tapping again fires. Tilting the device changes the firing mode.

You also get a plasma sword, which you can use by swiping over an arrow when given the choice, like to cut the cables in a box or cut the limb off an attacking enemy. Stasis is handled by touching the module on your back when aiming, while the kinetic stuff is done by touching an icon when looking at boxes.

It looks fantastic too. I'm playing on an iPhone 4 and it's really crisp and runs at a really damn smooth framerate.

I'd say if you have any passing interest in the console Dead Space titles, grab this. I'm impressed at how well it has translated over to iPhone.
great impressions. i hope the other big developers put forth greater efforts *ahem capcom* on iOS moving forward.

japtor

crazygambit said:
Nice! I'm a big fan of Mika Mobile. Loved OMG Pirates. I'm expecting good things.
I thought it seemed pretty nice but I could never get used to the buttons, the jump/attack arrangement went against 20+ years of gaming muscle memory.
Psy-Phi said:
I thoroughly enjoy the game. It gets more frantic as you go on, but otherwise you know what it's like already. Like all Cave games, start out with all of your abilities but gets more and more demanding of your ability to dodge while still hitting the enemies that you need to, and of course keeping your score multiplier up.
Yeah it takes a while to ramp up, even then there's a problem of pacing since it's kind of checkpoint based. Get to a point, spawn enemies, kill all, repeat, with potential for a chunk of downtime if you can't find the next spawn point. The difference is that there's more stuff later on which helps a bit.

Synless

Keyser Soze said:
Getting Dead Space too... will probably drop later, but I want it!!!

If it is after Midnight on Monday night where you are, then yes. If not then a few hours later.
Thanks! 3.5 hours to go. I needed a good game such as infinity blade and rage. All these other games are not holding my interest.

chubigans said:
Question as a new Touch owner: yall use any protective touch screens? I'm using my PSPGO extra film screen right now for the Touch but I just got my stylus in and it's not responding all that well. Has anyone gone non-protective screen-less?
I have the Powersupport Crystal screen protector on my 4g. Doesn't look like I have anything on and it's done it's job for about 4 months now.

Burger

chubigans said:

Unless you work in the desert they are a waste of money. The glass is stronger and more scratch resistant than a thin bit of shitty plastic.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I used my iPhone4 naked for about 2 months, and with the Power Support Crystal (front and back) screens for the past 4. They're incredible. They actually feel better than the naked glass, IMHO. They're also literally the cleanest and clearest screens I've ever seen. I wish they made 'em for other gadgets, such as the various DS and PSP systems.

shinjijai

Mejilan said:
I used my iPhone4 naked for about 2 months, and with the Power Support Crystal (front and back) screens for the past 4. They're incredible. They actually feel better than the naked glass, IMHO. They're also literally the cleanest and clearest screens I've ever seen. I wish they made 'em for other gadgets, such as the various DS and PSP systems.

does your crystal scratch like crazy? because mine does... at least the anti-glare one doesn't scratch...

Neki

anyone try Surveillant yet, it's free for the first 24 hours. Just wanted to get it on this page so you guys don't forget. :p

Mejilan said:
They are incredible. Absolutely no scratches here.

The real part of the Touch you should be worried about with scratches is the metal back. They just appear.

Grabbed SkyCat and Surveillant due to the free promo periods. Love this thread. :D

Looking forward to trying out Dead Space... but... Gah... I have 999, Ghost Trick, Nier and a guitar to play too :/

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Shinji said:
does your crystal scratch like crazy? because mine does... at least the anti-glare one doesn't scratch...

Nah, looks great. But I've also got an official bumper (got it for free during Antennagate) installed which "raises" both surface sides like 1mm out. They make for a pretty good combo, IMHO. Even when I put the phone down, it's not really all the way down.

Ordered the screen protectors such that they'd arrive together with the free bumper.

AstroLad said:
Don't worry, it's EA. I'm sure it'll be .99 in a week. And then .99 every three days thereafter.

Yeah, I'd get Dead Space in a heartbeat, but EA Mobile has trained us to wait a week for the $0.99 special on every game. Didn't they do that with Mortal Kombat? Like..literally a week later it was dropped?

chubigans said:

No screen protector here (and I had one for the PSPgo). The screen is scratch resistant enough to handle a lot of action. I've had mine since..what...September? Screen is in perfect shape still.

Nemesis_

I have a vinyl skin on the back to protect the rather scratch prone back of my Touch. But otherwise everything else is fine. The skin is very resistant.

(It's also the artwork from Muse's THE RESISTANCE album. Hur hur)

Fusebox

Banned
Burger said:
Unless you work in the desert they are a waste of money. The glass is stronger and more scratch resistant than a thin bit of shitty plastic.

This. Also every protector I've seen makes the screen look like sub-par.

Jonnyram

Burger said:
Yep, only time I got my screen scratched was on the beach, and even then, it's really minor. Doesn't bother me at all when the screen is on.

Gamecocks625 said:
Yeah, I'd get Dead Space in a heartbeat, but EA Mobile has trained us to wait a week for the $0.99 special on every game. Didn't they do that with Mortal Kombat? Like..literally a week later it was dropped?.

Yeah, they do that in a bid to get more people to download so that they hit the top of the charts and generate revenue real quick. It's pretty shitty for the early adopters :/

Ok the meltdown in the ghost recon 3DS thread got me thinking. Is there a ghost recon TBS game for iOS? I wasn't sure if Ubi ported the DS version or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom