• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's X-Men Arcade game - XBLA/PSN, 6 player drop-in/drop-out online multiplayer

andymcc

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Hmm, there are better beat 'em ups out there but only the licensed ones get this kind of attention.

Well, I guess the first two of these are licensed as well, but anybody that freaks out over The Simpsons, TMNT or X-Men would have their minds blown away by Tower of Doom, Shadow of Mystara and Battle Circuit.
... but tower of doom and shadow of mystara ARE licensed games.

battle circuit is the best beat em up ever, though.

Huggy

When I was playing these games in the arcade I was more into X-men and TMNT (TMHT?), so these remain with me more.

fionel

Daigoro said:

I take it you're being sarcastic, but I seriously wonder what all this fuss is about when you can virtually do the same thing on MAME including online play, except of course the interface is not as streamlined.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
fionel said:
I take it you're being sarcastic, but I seriously wonder what all this fuss is about when you can virtually do the same thing on MAME including online play, except of course the interface is not as streamlined.

Because many of us don't push "legality issues aside" when it comes to games. That's what the fuss is about.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hooray for 6 player local co-op on PS3

aC17E.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara

Are these available on any modern system? I'm sure I'll MAME it up but it would be great to have some enhancements on Steam/XBLA. Also thinking about grabbing an arcade stick just because.

kassatsu

Banned
I don't have high hopes for the online play... seeing how Backbone have yet to prove they can make a game with decent netcode.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
mikespit1200 said:
Are these available on any modern system? I'm sure I'll MAME it up but it would be great to have some enhancements on Steam/XBLA. Also thinking about grabbing an arcade stick just because.
The only home release they received was on the Saturn.

kassatsu

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
This is by Backbone? Ugh, I thought they closed. :|
Developed by Backbone Entertainment, this first ever home version of the popular 1992 cabinet arcade classic allows players to join their favorite X-Men characters in what is widely considered their first great video game appearance.

oracrest

Wario64 said:
http://imgur.com/aC17E.jpg

I was thinking about this screenshot as I was falling asleep last night (what?), and I realized that this will be the first arcade port to the consoles that doesn't have some stupid bad-art border around the edges. Pretty cool!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
kassatsu said:
Developed by Backbone Entertainment, this first ever home version of the popular 1992 cabinet arcade classic allows players to join their favorite X-Men characters in what is widely considered their first great video game appearance.
crymoar.gif

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
MoxManiac said:
How the fuck does Backbone keep getting work? Are they uber cheap to hire or something?
They HAVE to be, it's the only explanation (both for their continued work and the quality of their product).

Mrbob

firehawk12 said:
After Turtles in Time, I`m sort of in the camp that the genre has passed me by. Funny, because I played the shit out of Turtles 89 a few years ago and was amped up for more.

Blame UBI on this one. They completely sucked the soul out of the experience with their terrible remake.

andymcc

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
I noted that.

i just noticed that.

i think capcom's alien vs. predator is also a damn fine licensed beat 'em up. as a whole, capcom's licensed beat 'em ups are WAYYYY better than Konami's.

Mollymauk

kassatsu said:
I don't have high hopes for the online play... seeing how Backbone have yet to prove they can make a game with decent netcode.
Uhhh. Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. As stated, SSF2THDR and MvC2 have some of the best fighter netcode around.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
andymcc said:
i think capcom's alien vs. predator is also a damn fine licensed beat 'em up. as a whole, capcom's licensed beat 'em ups are WAYYYY better than Konami's.
Absolutely! Capcom continued to refine and add depth to the genre while Konami seemed content to stick pretty closely to a basic Final Fight set of mechanics.

oracrest

Hopefully X-Men's success will pave the way for other great beat-em-ups from that era. I am hoping most for the Dungeons and Dragons titles, but AVP, Punisher, Simpsons, Sengoku 3, the list goes on....

A true port of Turtle in Time couldn't hurt either.

Mollymauk said:

No doubt. Shadow over Mystara, AvP, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, The Punisher, Knights of the Round, are all pretty stellar.

X-Men, the Spider-Man Arcade game, Captain America and The Avengers...lots of possibilities out there. I'd enjoy all of them. Don't even need HD.

TreIII

Boombloxer said:
No doubt. Shadow over Mystara, AvP, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, The Punisher, Knights of the Round, are all pretty stellar.

X-Men, the Spider-Man Arcade game, Captain America and The Avengers...lots of possibilities out there. I'd enjoy all of them. Don't even need HD.

To me, the only one who's being tragically left out is Million (aka Technos Japan, makers of Double Dragon and Kunio-kun games like River City Ransom). Then again, they seemingly are focused on Wii and DS development at the moment...

achievements are out:

- Super Mutant (10 points)
You took an energy pill.

- Largest Party (10 points)
You played in a 6-player match with five other people.

- Grounded (10 points)
You completed Level 4 without jumping.

- Xavier Would Be Proud! (10 points)
You used a mutant power 5 times in one game.

- Turn Pyro to Toast (10 points)
You defeated Pyro without using any mutant powers.

- Kidnapped (10 points)
You learned that Magneto has kidnapped Professor X.

- Bamf (25 points)
You completed the game in 25 minutes or less.

- X-pertise (25 points)
You completed the game on Expert difficulty.

- Master of Magnet (30 points)
You defeated Magneto with all 6 X-Men characters!

- Welcome to Die! (10 points)
You were welcomed to die by the White Queen.

- You Fell to Our Trap! (25 points)
Mystique tried to fool you and five other players in a 6-player game.

- Score Inflation (25 points)
You earned at least 250 points in one game.

source: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/xmen-arcade/achievements/

Wow Konami is not fucking around with the proper treatment. Original developers and not backbone? That's some kind of miracle.

Also looks perfect in widescreen. Even in arcades back in the day, two rounded CRT's placed next to each other always looked crappy in the cabinet :lol.

I am super intrigued over this Japanese version which you are able to 1CC.

As far as conveyor belt action games go (don't like the term beatumup), a 1CCable X-Men, IE this Japanese version, actually might hold up as one of the best. One thing Konami's games in this era had going for them was insane amounts of enemies and action. X-Men is in a class of it's own, 6-player across two screens and retarded amounts of sentinals and non cannon creatures awaited.

Top Bottom