• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie : No Wii successor talk until 45 million US Wiis sold / GAF speculates

farnham

Banned
This Wii has had a great run, but surely Nintendo's console is primed for replacement? Nintendo of America's top guy, Reggie Fils-Aime, told Kotaku today that a successor to the Wii doesn't have to come out in 2011.

Of course he'd say that, right?

He's got Christmas 2010 coming and he wants the world to keep on buying Wiis, even if they're not buying them in the ridiculous amounts they used to.
"After we've reached an installed base of 45 million here in the U.S., we can have a conversation about the next generation."

Reggie says Wii sales peaked in the system's third full year and he proudly states that there are more than 30 million Wiis out there in America. He's got a chart — he showed it at a business conference in New York yesterday — that shows the Wii is still selling faster than the the PlayStation 2, the juggernaut of the last generation of gaming consoles, did in the same amount of time. 23% faster, he says. Wii was and is a monster hit, no doubt about it. Nintendo was right this generation despite so many people thinking they were wrong.

But when a system's sales slow, that's a good time for gamers to expect the sequel. DS sales began to drag in Japan in the last year or so and, what do you know, we've got the very cool 3DS around the corner.

I asked Reggie the question this morning during an interview at the hotel he's using this week in Manhattan: "Wii 2 is not a must for next holiday?"

His answer: "No."

Again, of course he'd say that. He's not going to reveal the next Nintendo console during a Friday morning chat.

But it sure seems like a Wii 2, or whatever you would want to call it, could nestle in nicely as the hot gaming machine of Christmas 2011 (other than that PSP2 we hear may be coming out in the fall, of course, and that Nintendo 3DS that's coming to America in March).

Reggie, however, just doesn't believe it's time to talk about this kind of thing yet, probably because he'd like people to be thinking of buying a new red Wii or Donkey Kong Country Returns, Nintendo's big things for this fall.

"As we sit here today we're saying the Wii has many, many more units to sell," he said today. "After we've reached an installed base of 45 million here in the U.S., we can have a conversation about the next generation. "

Let's do it.

http://kotaku.com/5688540/wii-2-is-not-a-must-for-late-2011

yeah.... good luck with that.

Eh, they'll easily do that once the Wii drops in price to $99, but will probably be able to do it at $149. I'm more concerned that they aren't pushing Motion + very much with software instead of looking forward to another console. Really poor software support for it.

antonz

Kandinsky said:
Brb buying 300,000.
Fixed and Ill buy 150,000 . Lets do this Gaf!

After the holiday season is over they should come close to the 35 million mark so thy will pass 45 million by the end of next year probably though I would prefer wii2 next fall :/

farnham

Banned
antonz said:
Fixed and Ill buy 150,000 . Lets do this Gaf!

After the holiday season is over they should pass the 35 million mark so thy will pass 45 million by the end of next year for sure though I would prefer wii2 next fall :/
why would anyone want wii 2?

Emitan

I bought a Wii as soon as I could and then gave it away a few months later. I ordered a red Wii off Amazon yesterday, so that's 2 from me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For some reason, I see this more of a threat from Iwata to Reggie. "I'm not going to tell you what the Wii's successor is till you can sell 45 Million Wiis!"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
:\

Huh. I'd like a Wii 2, I'm ready for HD, HDD, and real online.

...but I'm still fine with my Wii for now, as long as they continue to support it. 2011 post-Zelda is looking pretty bleak, though.

farnham

Banned
Snuggler said:
:\

Huh. I'd like a Wii 2, I'm ready for HD, HDD, and real online.

...but I'm still fine with my Wii for now, as long as they continue to support it. 2011 post-Zelda is looking pretty bleak, though.
you have that on 360 and ps3.

totowhoa

Banned
I'd imagine they'd rather not pit Wii 2 and 3DS against one another during the holidays. I'm expecting something in 2012 probably

farnham

Banned
Billychu said:
I can play Smash Brothers without shit online on PS3? Awesome!
no you obviously cant. but there are games like.. heroes on the move or... what was that one game with the meat puppets from the LBP guys ? i think that one is on PS3 too.

Not surprising. It seems all three companies want this gen to last awhile, and 45M is a lofty, yet attainable goal for the Wii. I really am not expecting any next-gen rumblings to 2011 at the earliest.

Majine

Banned
I don't dare to argue with them at this point. They have been consistantly right about what consumers want for this whole generation.

Log4Girlz

This does not surprise me. First, they will not want to compete with themselves and lower 3DS sales during next holiday or conversely limit Wii2 sales. People have only so much money to buy Nintendo hardware. They will wait until 2012 at the earliest. They still have the option of dropping the Wii's price to $99.00

Big One

Banned
Don't see how this wouldn't be possible, Wii sells like hotcakes and I know tons of people who don't own one. With that being said, will Nintendo prolong the Wii's lifespan like Microsoft and Sony are planning with the 360 and PS3?

farnham

Banned
Majine said:
I don't dare to argue with them at this point. They have been consistantly right about what consumers want for this whole generation.
not this year though
levious said:
so why'd you make this thread?
to point out that reggie made another ridiculous comment ? usual business.

Big One said:
Don't see how this wouldn't be possible, Wii sells like hotcakes and I know tons of people who don't own one. With that being said, will Nintendo prolong the Wii's lifespan like Microsoft and Sony are planning with the 360 and PS3?
not anymore though

they are not at gamecube numbers yet (although in japan they look close to falling to that level) but yeah its not looking good for them right now.

seady

I doubt Nintendo will release two major systems in one year. That will just spread out their resources and consumers' ability to buy too many systems at once. They will focus on the 3DS next year, and Wii 2 in 2012.

Plus, they have Zelda for next holiday and I doubt they will pull the same move again like the Wii-Gamecube's Zelda enhanced port.

WillyFive

This isn't the reaction I expected from this. Considering the success of the Wii over the past 4 years, this isn't exactly a difficult thing to expect.

Heck, this is more of a more reliable timeline of when we can expect the next console.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
farnham said:
to point out that reggie made another ridiculous comment ? usual business.

which part is ridiculous? Selling another 15 million or not releasing a new console in 2011?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
farnham said:
you have that on 360 and ps3.

and?

That's why I'd like a Nintendo system that meets those standards. I can play a game in SD and still enjoy it, but I'd like a system that's up to par with modern standards and I'd like something with a legit online system, not the archaic (at best) crap that is WiiConnect323. It doesn't have to be a powerhouse system, but there is nothing wrong with wanting more.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
farnham seems like some kind of forsaken wii enthusiast that's long given up fightan the good fight

now it's like "i don't give shit"

Emitan

The Abominable Snowman said:
I don't want a Wii successor.

I want a SNES successor.
I always thought the Wii was the modern NES and that the next console will be the modern SNES. Don't forget how long the NES lasted.

farnham

Banned
Snuggler said:
and?

That's why I'd like a Nintendo system that meets those standards. I can play a game in SD and still enjoy it, but I'd like a system that's up to par with modern standards and I'd like something with a legit online system, not the archaic (at best) crap that is WiiConnect323. It doesn't have to be a powerhouse system, but there is nothing wrong with wanting more.

yeah but at the sametimes pretty much every game on the planet that is not made by nintendo meets those standards. there are a lot of game to play if you want HD,HDD or Online.

levious said:
which part is ridiculous? Selling another 15 million or not releasing a new console in 2011?

he is saying

"we wont be releasing information if we dont sell a certain amount of units."

you know that he is lying

because if they are keep selling like this they will hurry to throw something new on the market.

The Abominable Snowman said:
I don't want a Wii successor.

I want a SNES successor.
n64.jpg

Top Bottom