• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie : No Wii successor talk until 45 million US Wiis sold / GAF speculates

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
CiSTM said:
DQX is 2011 title and it's for 3ds ! :O
I don't think anyone could love an inanimate object such as the 3DS as much as me

BUT

I would rather prefer DQX stay on a console.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I assumed he meant they wouldn't want to release info until the wii sales were at a certain point as to not help them slow down any further than they would on their own.

Will talking won't get you there. If I'm were Nintendo I would've pushed special promotional Wii edition like a golden Wii with GoldenEye limited edition for instance.

farnham said:
n64.jpg
Better answer would have been

psx.png

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm raging inside. Absolutely sick and tired of the Wii and its innability to offer me the kind of experience I want from a console. MH3Tri was such a terrible waste of potential that I felt like robbing a bank and funding a PC/online console version.

Argh. Well, at least I know I won't be a day 1 adopter next time around. Nothing coming out of Reggie or Iwata gives me comfort about Nintendo's vision.

timetokill said:
You don't think they'll hit 45 million? What exactly are you saying?
4 years and 30M units means we have a long, terrible wait ahead of us. Especially since the console actually has some competition now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
farnham said:
yeah but at the sametimes pretty much every game on the planet that is not made by nintendo meets those standards. there are a lot of game to play if you want HD,HDD or Online.

True, but I <3 Nintendo and I plan on sticking with them until the end (of me), so I want to get the best of out their lovely franchises.

But like I said, it's not the end of the world for me. Between my Wii and PS3, I'm set for now, I can wait another year or so for new Wii.

farnham

Banned
DXB-KNIGHT said:
Will talking won't get you there. If I'm were Nintendo I would've pushed special promotional Wii edition like a golden Wii with GoldenEye limited edition for instance.
they are doing this. they are pushing out bundles with mario kart, wii sports resort and NSMBWii (all with wii sports of course)

The Abominable Snowman said:
Better answer would have been

psx.png
hardly. PSone is PSone. the start of a whole new lineage.
Snuggler said:
True, but I <3 Nintendo and I plan on sticking with them until the end (of me), so I want to get the best of out their lovely franchises.

But like I said, it's not the end of the world for me. Between my Wii and PS3, I'm set for now, I can wait another year or so for new Wii.
well if you do like nintendo you do know that they are the worst when they are trying to meet industry standards.

they did that with the GC and boy that was a desaster for them

gogojira

We'll see come E3 next year. I'm not saying a successor will hit in 2011, but fuck, I have to imagine if sales continue to decline they'll at least announce one.

Or at least that's my hope.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Wii and I'm picking up both Epic Mickey and DKC Returns this month, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dying for Nintendo the step the fuck up and put out a system that's not a generation behind the competition from a tech perspective.

farnham

Banned
Lyphen said:
I'm raging inside. Absolutely sick and tired of the Wii and its innability to offer me the kind of experience I want from a console. MH3Tri was such a terrible waste of potential that I felt like robbing a bank and funding a PC/online console version.

Argh. Well, at least I know I won't be a day 1 adopter next time around. Nothing coming out of Reggie or Iwata gives me comfort about Nintendo's vision.

4 years and 30M units means we have a long, terrible wait ahead of us. Especially since the console actually has some competition now.
well MH3P is comming out soon so maybe that will soothe your soul..

if you happen to have a psp that is

CiSTM

Banned
Serenade said:
I don't think anyone could love an inanimate object such as the 3DS as much as me

BUT

I would rather prefer DQX stay on a console.
I do agree but the Wii hardware and software sales aren't really booming in Japan. 3ds is the next hot thing and if the early concept of dqx wasn't relaying too much on waggle it would only make sense to make the game for 3ds.

farnham

Banned
CiSTM said:
I do agree but the Wii hardware and software sales aren't really booming in Japan. 3ds is the next hot thing and if the early concept of dqx wasn't relaying too much on waggle it would only make sense to make the game for 3ds.
3DS sold 0 units. and by 2011-2012 it will not have reached wii numbers yet (probably)

no way hori yuji will be releasing that on 3DS

CiSTM said:

I thought DQ is supposed to be on the system with the most number of owners. So 3DS wouldn't make any sense. If not Wii, then it has to go to the DS.

farnham said:
they are doing this. they are pushing out bundles with mario kart, wii sports resort and NSMBWii (all with wii sports of course)
Will some of Wii's big games this winter comes from 3rd parties like Epic Mickey and GoldenEye
I really want a Golden Wii

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
farnham said:
well MH3P is comming out soon so maybe that will soothe your soul..

if you happen to have a psp that is
Heck no! And thats the problem, I'm not a commuter in Japan taking the train every morning. So I'm not exactly Capcom's target audience. Hell, I don't think I'm the target audience for anything coming out of Japan anymore, but I want them to make games for me. :lol

farnham

Banned
JordanLMiller said:
I don't think 45 is an impossible number at all to reach. With bundles and price cuts it's certainly possible over the long term.
isnt 15 million a little bit less then what the PS3 sold in NA ?

its not a unsubstantial number.
DXB-KNIGHT said:
Will some of Wii's big games this winter comes from 3rd parties like Epic Mickey and GoldenEye
well at least there is a golden classic controller bundle.

but i agree. monster hunter tri bundle was awesome

Emitan

JordanLMiller said:
I don't think 45 is an impossible number at all to reach. With bundles and price cuts it's certainly possible over the long term.
But...but...but... I want my Wii 2 now!

swerve

CiSTM said:
I do agree but the Wii hardware and software sales aren't really booming in Japan.

That makes it all the more likely that Nintendo will pressure S-E to keep DQX on Wii, right?

Mudkips

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:

Holy shit that power button infuriates me.

The symbol for power buttons is I/O or C-. I/C- is a retarded, unnecessary, pointless mishmash of the two.

The symbol represents an open / closed circuit.

Zoe

JordanLMiller said:

But the long term is loooooooong, and Reggie's saying they won't even consider it until that point?

Though realistically I'm sure they've already started R&D. We just won't hear any acknowledgement for a long time.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
CiSTM said:
It's Dragon Quest X. It's going to sell on anything. And it's on the system that's has already secured itself as first this generation. It's going to do well. Declining sales on a platform that everyone and their momma has aren't going to change much, honestly.

farnham

Banned
swerve said:
That makes it all the more likely that Nintendo will pressure hori yuji to keep DQX on Wii, right?

fixed

and you know what. if nintendo pisses off hori yuji they are going to loose a big game for them.

they already did that once with gooch (funny that he is making a game for them right now. but yeah it was back then when gooch meant something). dont think they want to make a mistake like that again.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
DXB-KNIGHT said:
There's an Austin Powers joke in there somewhere

farnham

Banned
Zoe said:
But the long term is loooooooong, and Reggie's saying they won't even consider it until that point?

Though realistically I'm sure they've already started R&D. We just won't hear any acknowledgement for a long time.
Nintendo starts RND of the next gen when the current gen gets released. thats how they work according to them (could be bullshit).

and yes. reggies words mean nothing when iwata says. f it lets make wii 2 with skittles.

CiSTM

Banned
farnham said:
3DS sold 0 units. and by 2011-2012 it will not have reached wii numbers yet (probably)

no way hori yuji will be releasing that on 3DS
Will feel so good when they show new trailer and at the end of the trailer it will say "2011 only for 3ds." And I can say I called it.

farnham

Banned
CiSTM said:
Will feel so good when they show new trailer and at the end of the trailer it will say "2011 only for 3ds." And I can say I called it.
i guess it will feel good. but it would also mean that hori yuji changed his platform choice strategy all of a sudden.

Sadist

Well, Reggie wouldn't talk about a DS successor at the beginning of 2010 because it performed so well in 2009. "It broke another record" was the argument. Two months later...

Kard8p3

seady said:
I doubt Nintendo will release two major systems in one year. That will just spread out their resources and consumers' ability to buy too many systems at once. They will focus on the 3DS next year, and Wii 2 in 2012.

Plus, they have Zelda for next holiday and I doubt they will pull the same move again like the Wii-Gamecube's Zelda enhanced port.

Nintendo did launch the GBA and the Gamecube in the same year so it's not unheard of for them to do it. Still though I agree that Wii 2 is likely a 2012 event.

xbhaskarx

Wii came out November 2006, it's now November 2010, so that's 4 years.
In that time Wii has sold ~30 million units in the US, so 7.5 million a year.
It needs to sell 15 million more to get to 45 million, which is 2 years at 7.5 million a year.
But Wii sales had slowed down considerably in the US over the last year.
I say 3 years to reach 45 million, so new Wii for holiday 2013.

Emitan

Sadist said:
Well, Reggie wouldn't talk about a DS successor at the beginning of 2010 because it performed so well in 2009. "It broke another record" was the argument. Two months later...
Exactly. A second Zelda title is coming out in a few months, we've had a 2D Mario and 2 3D Marios. Nintendo doesn't release a ton of AAA titles like this on every platform; they've got to have a new console on the way.

farnham

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Wii came out November 2006, it's now November 2010, so that's 4 years.
In that time Wii has sold ~30 million units in the US, so 7.5 million a year.
It needs to sell 15 million more to get to 45 million, which is 2 years at 7.5 million a year.
But Wii sales had slowed down considerably in the US over the last year.
I say 3 years to reach 45 million, so new Wii for holiday 2013.
if the 99dollar and 50 dollar pricedrop kick in it could be 2012 though (if they can get rid of the bad image they have gotten recently)

also note that he said he would be start talking about it once they hit that number.

The only way that I think the Wii 2 will be successful is if they make it hugely backwards compatible. All Wii accessories work for it, any new accessories come packed in (major ones), all downloadable games work on it. Otherwise, I don't think people will bite as much as they'll hope for them to.

FoneBone

I don't think that there's anything to this other than PR bullshit.

Sadist said:
Pretty much this, although I still don't think we'll hear anything before E3.

Emitan

FoneBone said:
I don't think that there's anything to this other than PR bullshit.

Pretty much this, although I still don't think we'll hear anything before E3.
I'm expecting an announcement at E3 and a Q2 2012 release.

Top Bottom