• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First pics of current PSP2 DevKit [Update: Large Update In OP]

// Mod Edit

New IGN Rumor:

IGN via Suzzopher said:
We've heard a lot of rumors regarding the PSP 2 but it has been limited largely to isolated reports regarding specific features; today, however, we've received a comprehensive rundown of the device's features from someone with direct hands-on experience with the forthcoming handheld.

According to our source, current iterations of the PSP 2 feature dual analog sliders that are comparable to those found on the existing PSP but are unique in that they have concave indentations rather than convex. It maintains the slider design of the PSPgo, but increases the overall size to accommodate the new features and a slightly larger touch-enabled display.

As would be expected, the PSP 2, like the PSPgo, lacks a UMD drive and will run downloadable or expandable memory-based games. The device also incorporates both front- and rear-facing cameras, presumably for pictures, video recording and communication, and augmented reality-based games.

Notably, the frequently rumored rear-mounted touch panel is real and features a smooth glass-like surface, which our source says can be used for a variety of input functions such as analog thumbstick-type controls, taps, swipes and other gesture commands like a swipe to reload motion.

Our source also confirmed the recent batch of leaked images from VG247, which detail the state of current development units.

As far as graphics are concerned, the PSP 2 is a beast, packing enough processing hardware to produce graphics comparable to early PlayStation 3 titles. The processor, we're told, is just over half as powerful as the PS3, though the specific framework of the cores and the clock speed was not revealed.

While the device isn't as powerful as the PlayStation 3, its components should allow it to sufficiently play games of comparable graphical quality due to the fact that it is rendering to a smaller, lower-resolution display than a full 1080p HDTV.

All things considered, it seems that Sony aims to allow developers to port or custom-tailor PlayStation 3 titles for use on the handheld, potentially to create a ubiquitous gameplay experience that could sync seamlessly between the console and the handheld. In other words, players could potentially start games on their PlayStation 3 and continue them on-the-go with the PSP 2.

Despite all we've learned, several key questions remain – namely how much it will cost and when we may see it publicly unveiled. Naturally, a device as powerful and full-featured as this would fetch a pretty penny, perhaps as much as the PS3 itself, and we wouldn't be surprised to see its official debut at E3 2011.
Source : http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/113/1138871p1.html

This seems to match up with recent comments from EA's CEO, and EA is known to have PSP2 dev kits.

// End Mod Edit

VG247 has obtained the world’s first images of the current PSP2 dev kit.

The shots clearly show the device’s forward- and rear-facing cameras, as well as the much-discussed trackpad on the rear of the unit.

Note that this isn’t the console’s final form factor. As you can see, developers are working with a kit with similar construction to a PSP go at the moment, with a sliding screen over physical controls. We don’t know when the final physical spec will be nailed down, only that this isn’t it.

We were first told PSP2 kits were in developers’ hands early this year.

It has an HD screen. The last set of rumours surrounding the handheld said the chipset has yet to be finalised.

The machine is rumoured to be extremely powerful, with approximately twice as much RAM as a 360.

EA has confirmed it’s had “exposure” to the unit, and developer Netherrealm has openly admitted it’s working with a kit.

PSP2 is supposedly heading for release in late 2011.

If you’re in any doubt as to the authenticity of these images, don’t be. It is what it is. Enjoy.

Source

Front:

front.jpg

Back:

back.jpg

Yes here it is fokes pix from a psp2 with all the rumor based ellements:

Backside Tochpad
2 analog sticks
HD screen

http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/17/psp2-dev-kit-snaps-show-twin-sticks-trackpad

VG247 has obtained the world’s first images of the current PSP2 dev kit.

The shots clearly show the device’s forward- and rear-facing cameras, as well as the much-discussed trackpad on the rear of the unit.

Note that this isn’t the console’s final form factor. As you can see, developers are working with a kit with similar construction to a PSP go at the moment, with a sliding screen over physical controls. We don’t know when the final physical spec will be nailed down, only that this isn’t it.

We were first told PSP2 kits were in developers’ hands early this year.

It has an HD screen. The last set of rumours surrounding the handheld said the chipset has yet to be finalised.

The machine is rumoured to be extremely powerful, with approximately twice as much RAM as a 360.

EA has confirmed it’s had “exposure” to the unit, and developer Netherrealm has openly admitted it’s working with a kit.

PSP2 is supposedly heading for release in late 2011.

If you’re in any doubt as to the authenticity of these images, don’t be. It is what it is. Enjoy.

back.jpg

front.jpg

soooo I guess sony needs to think about something else to show @ E3 2011?

It lives! Wow is that trackpad covering the entire rear of the unit?

Looks like there might be both corner mounted and top mounted shoulder buttons? Or is that only a watermark?

D pad is giving me flashbacks to Gamecube games...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm. VG247's record with rumours has been spotty.

It could be just a faked unit.

Interesting either way, but MORE interesting would be actually details on what's inside. This isn't really telling us anything new vs prior rumours.

I love how spy shots always seem to be taken with low-end digital cameras from 1998. If those are legit, then I like the design. A flip-up screen is pretty much a given, and dual analog sticks will make a lot of people happy.

Arnie

Looks great to me, they have the two sticks for games such as Socom or Metal Gear yet they have a (I presume) multi touch track pad for navigation and smaller games more accustomed to something such as the iPhone. One thing I would say is they need to make sure it's clear on screen where your fingers are located behind it.

My only complaint is the placement of the second analogue stick, it's so awkward it needs to be swapped with the buttons.

Vinci

Danish
Adam Prime said:
I can't see the pictures from work!!! :(

Don't worry, you're not missing a helluva lot.

EDIT: Is this the cellphone version? If you slide that thing closed, it would be a cellphone.

Hugbot said:
Man why can't people who leak hardware shit like this ever use a half-decent camera?

my guess would be that these were taken w/o permission? in that case it would probably be a bad idea to whip out the 50mp slr with the zoom lens and tripod

DMeisterJ

Banned
Is there a rule that leaked photos have to be blurry and shitty? Wait until I get to leak something... it's going to be a photoshoot with a fucking DSLR camera :/

I don't see how anyone can discern anything from that pic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Byakuya769 said:
.. why would the d-pad look like that?

It struck me as a little odd too, but maybe it's just the picture. Slightly unconventional thumbstick placement too, though I suppose it makes as much sense as being under the other stuff.

1-D_FTW

That's actually pretty nice.

People can complain about the unwieldy location of the buttons, but gaf wanted a second stick. And something is going to get slotted into that unwieldly location.

Like the big touch pad on back and the top slider for touchscreen only games. I imagine touchscreen on top and touch pad on bottom would give some interesting combos for those games.

Top Bottom