• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens Nintendo 3DS preorders in Canada, sets 20th March release and $299 pri

wwm0nkey

Taken from the 3DS Blog:

"Are you one of the few Canadian folk who read this blog? Well if you’re super keen to preorder the Nintendo 3DS then you might be glad to know that GameStop and EB Games retailers throughout Canada are now accepting your reservations. It’s quite likely that they’re just guessing the data, but for now, the preorder listing has the Nintendo 3DS set for a 20th of March release date (which is a Sunday) and a price point of $299 CAD."

Also even if it is a mistake if its on the machine they pretty much still have to take your reservation.

fernoca

$299 CAD is $99.99 US right? :p
Nah, but the $300 price is expected and I think the latest Nintendo consoles/handhelds has been released a sunday; so it fits.

shuri

Banned
GBA was 199$, so was the DS. I bought them both at launch and it took a full year for really interesting games to come out. Count me out. I don't want to live the nightmare again.

fernoca

shuri said:
GBA was 199$, so was the DS. I bought them both at launch and it took a full year for really interesting games to come out. Count me out. I don't want to live the nightmare again.
The GBA was $199?
I got it at launch with 2 games too and doubt I paid around $300 for everything.

EDIT:
Just confirmed; $99.99 unless the price difference in other regions was of $100 more.

jeremy1456

So a placeholder price that no one seems to realize is in canadian dollars and thus is panicking about?

:lol

Gaf never fails to amaze.

jeremy1456 said:
So a placeholder price that no one seems to realize is in canadian dollars and thus is panicking about?

The Canadian and US dollars have been close to parity for a good while now.

fernoca

wwm0nkey said:
It was $150 in the states and $179 in CA (at least im pretty sure)
Just checked:
fernoca said:
EDIT:
Just confirmed; $99.99 unless the price difference in other regions was of $100 more.

Nintendo has announced the official North American launch details for its upcoming Game Boy Advance. The 32-bit handheld will be released on June 11 for a suggested retail price of $99.95. It will ship with 15 games at launch, including such high-profile games as Super Mario Advance, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, ChuChu Rocket!, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2, Rayman, and the newly announced Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. All new Game Boy Advance game software will retail for between $29.95 and $39.95.

Link1110

Every time I buy a system on launch it either collects dust or winds up a backwards comparability machine for s year. Thank you for this price point, making my decision to wait all the easier.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
jeremy1456 said:

We uh, pay the same price as the US on consoles.

Phenomic

DR2K said:
It really feels like Nintendo is pulling a Sony here.

The problem here is I feel Nintendo can pull that off and still sell tons of units. Once people see that device and if it actually works like they claim some serious people are going to be wanting that jazz. I will probably be one of those people myself. I must tell myself "NO" I always get handhelds and under use them.

iammeiam

What's Gamestop's track-record like at guessing unannounced hardware pricepoints?

Based on the JP launch price, $300 makes the most sense as "Well we want to take preorders, aren't sure what to charge yet, and there's no way it's going to be more than $300, so."

You don't want to take preorders for less than final cost, because customers would be pissed, but over-shooting lets them start gauging potential interest very early on while, at worst, having to tell people they've over-paid for a preorder come launch time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
$299?

I'll wait for a Lite version.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
WWRhO.jpg

Trurl

Banned
DR2K said:
It really feels like Nintendo is pulling a Sony here.
I fully agree.

There is no way I'm buying it at launch for $300. Even if I were personally willing to swallow that price, I have a feeling that the market won't and the 3DS's library will be a disappointment as a result.

LCfiner

Nirolak said:
How much was the Wii in Canada?

It was 280 at launch but the CDN dollar was weaker back in 2006.

300 CDN for a 3DS could very well be 300 USD now.

I hope not, but it’s possible.

I might consider getting in at launch if the placeholder price is adjusted to 250 bucks but at 300, I can wait a year.

Those dates aren't accurate. If you people paid attention you would notice it says March 1st for Kid Icarus Uprising. Why would the game be released before the console?

I'm hoping it comes out March 6th...why do we have to wait almost a month after Japan when we make Nintendo the most money? BS!

If Nintendo does end up pricing this at $300, they'll have missed out on one of their biggest opportunities of all time to literally destroy their competition. No way that thing is going to continually sell at an insane price like that.

mj1108

Definitely a placeholder price until the real price (in CDN) is revealed. Nothing to see here...move along.

Top Bottom