• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
timetokill said:
Not really. The parser has been updated a lot by Cheesemeister since the thread started (and I've made note of those updates in the OP). I've looked at some preliminary results and basically everyone's votes are being picked up unless they weren't numbered or something. There will be a little clean up but not much.

The only thing that might not be tallied for everyone is the honorable mentions, which is happening if people do not use the "x." format. It's the same as if people weren't using numbers to delineate their list -- there's not really a way for the parser to know those are honorable mentions. That said, the honorable mentions are really for fun so it won't affect the final results.

Oh nice! I didn't realise it was being updated to accomidate those who can't read / follow the OP lol.

exciting times ahead :D

RustyO

1. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
2. Dead Rising 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Dead Nation
5. Assassin's Creed 2
6. Heavy Rain
7. Alpha Protocol
8. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
9. Civilization 5
10. Alan Wake

Ellis Kim

Banned
1. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; Amazing PSP and MGS game
2. Heavy Rain ; Most innovative game
3. Valkyria Chronicles 2 ; God damn addicting
4. Metroid: Other M ; Better than I initially felt it to be
5. Yakuza 3 ; Moar crime underworld drama
6. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Best co-op
7. Resonance of Fate ; Most unique RPG of the year
8. Final Fantasy 13 ; Beautiful
9. MAG ; Its Zipper at their best
10. Super Street Fighter 4 ; Engaging on multiple levels
x. Disgaea Infinite ; So funny
x. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love ; lol
x. God of War 3 ; Gorgeous
x. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep ; still need to do Terra and Ventus
x. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game ; So addicting
x. Halo Reach ; A fitting finale
x. Bayonetta ; Still need to finish :x

gamerx

1. Dance Central
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
5. Goldeneye 007
6. DJ Hero 2
7. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
9. Just Cause 2
10. Deadly Premonition

Finaika

1. Resonance of Fate
2. Heavy Rain
3. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
4. Vanquish
5. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
6. Majin & the Forsaken Kingdom
7. Starcraft 2
8. Apache: Air Assault
9. Super Street Fighter IV
10. Bayonetta

tiff

Banned
timetokill said:
No, it won't be too long. Day or two. Last year I had pretty much kept up with the voting even while hand-counting. The main difference this year is there will be more "stuff" in the results thread, so formatting and presenting all of that will take a little time.
A day or two seems kind of short for going through 30 pages of lists.

Its late and I had trouble picking the games so I am just going to post a list without impressions. Bu more or less these are either games that had a quality that stood out compared to others or I just found really fun to play. Although I kind of abstained from listing games like WoW or Bad Company 2, because well even if I did put hundreds of hours into them for some reason I don't really think of them as games of the year.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Bayonetta
3. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
4. Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
6. Vanquish
7. Darksiders
8. Infinite Space
9. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
10. Mafia 2

1. Ys Seven
2. Ys: The Oath in Felghana
3. Yakuza 3
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5. Nier
6. Gran Turismo 5
7. Resonance of Fate
8. Bayonetta
9. Valkyria Chronicles 2
10. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

five handheld games this time, this generation is weird.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Battlefield Bad Company 2
5. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
6. Heavy Rain
7. Halo: Reach
8. NBA 2K11
9. Costume Quest
10. Alan Wake

x. MLB 10: The Show
x. Super Meat Boy
x. 3D Dot Game Heroes
x. Blur

I didn't get to finish or even play a lot of what I wanted to. A down year compared to last, and seemingly next year, but nothing to be unhappy about.

tiff

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
computer programs have a lot of spare time
I was just wondering how he's getting all this into the program, basically.

I don't know a lot about computer programs, obviously.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1. Mass Effect 2 ; A solid game and a proper example on how to do a sequel right. Remove what plagued the core experience, and add more sexy goodness to the package.
2. Halo: Reach ; Bungie did it yet AGAIN. They wanted to send the series off with a bang, and created the penultimate Halo experience, that has challenged all it's predecessors and even the almighty original in quality.
3. Blur ; An underlooked, yet fantastic overall package of a game. Nothing revolutionary, but is a game made so well, that is technically impressive and still reaches Bizarre's high quality standards.
4. Minecraft ; This game is nothing short of revolutionary, and has reached levels of success that even I fail to comprehend. Another example of an experience that is driven by it's core, functional gameplay, with all auxillary components made so they don't interfere with that core.
5. Fruit Ninja ; I would be lying if I didn't say this game sucked so much gaming time out of me this year. Deceptively simple, and deceptively addictive, and well supported after release.
6. Super Meat Boy ; This. This game is an abusive wife, that you can't seem to resist getting away from.
7. Super Street Fighter 4 ; As a huge fan of fighters, this game was worth the $40 even after buying Street Fighter 4 years before. The penultimate fighting series returned to breed new life into the genre, that will only lead into the alley oup that is MvC3.
8. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game ; After discovering, like, the greatest comic ever, this game was the perfect fanservice. And the music was fucking awesome. And the sprites were fucking awesome. And the gameplay was fucking awesome. And..
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; A masterpiece of level design and a proper example of how to do a sequel once again. Moments like this make me thank Nintendo for the sprinkles of awesome they give us in times of bullshit.
10. Final Fantasy 13 ; The ending sucked. The story fell apart in cohesion. Some of the characters and the story was a bit too up it's own ass. But I'd be damned if it wasn't a hell of a fun experience, and amazingly gorgeous game.

Hope my formatting is alright.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Legendary Warrior said:
I was just wondering how he's getting all this into the program, basically.

I don't know a lot about computer programs, obviously.

the computer program reads gaf, extracts the results, and tabulates the results.

tiff

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
the computer program reads gaf, extracts the results, and tabulates the results.
Hah, I was trying to make it more complex than it is. That's why the format was a big deal at first - it needed to know what to read.

I feel dumb for asking, now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Amir0x said:
timetokill, remember to implement the script to invalidate all ballots that voted for Heavy Rain. Mod sanctioned.
heavyrainthefuck.jpg

I've been looking for the image forever and can't seem to find it :(

Amir0x said:
timetokill, remember to implement the script to invalidate all ballots that voted for Heavy Rain. Mod sanctioned.

:lol

also, be sure to set it to where all #1 spots are automatically Castlevania: Lords of Shadow :D

1. Super Meat Boy
2. Mount & Blade: Warband
3. Minecraft
4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
5. Just Cause 2
6. Halo Reach
7. Toki Tori
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
10. The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

x. Shatter
x. The Ball (need to play more of this)

what a brilliant year for platformers, and i haven't even played VVVVVV, Bit.Trip Runner, or SMG2 yet

1. Bayonetta ; Absolutely perfect gameplay, and the best new game character in years.
2. Super Meat Boy ; Mario quality. Fucking amazing.
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; SMG disc 2.
4. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; Loved the traditional JRPG feel mixed with WRPG loot. Game looked great too.
5. Vanquish ; Fast arcade fun.
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; The gameplay is imperfect, and the level design too straightforward, but both are still well above average and I really enjoyed the presentation.
7. Mass Effect 2 ; Good Mass Effect 3 promo DLC.
8. Nier ; Ugly Zelda with great writing, voice acting, and music.
9. Deadly Premonition ; Fuck, I enjoyed it.
10. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ; It's not 1942 or BF2, but it's as close as I can get in a modern game.

x. Minecraft ; I kind of have to force myself to buy into a feeling of danger now, but it's still pretty awesome.
x. Red Dead Redemption ; The open world western half is fun and gorgeous. The GTA IV mission half is still shit.

Jhoan

1.Deadly Premonition; The best $20 I've ever spent on a 360 game. It has everything a full price game has. I mean, sure the combat sucks and it has outdated visuals and the game needs some editing here and there, and the story goes supernatural towards the later half of the game which kind of kills the realism and the intrigue but the real star of the game is the mysterious town that is Greenvale and its inhabitants and of course York whose gotta be one of my favorite video game characters of 2010. The VA in this game rivals the VA of any AAA game and it delivers it with plenty of humor and charm. That's more than enough of a reason to warrant it my personal favorite game of the year
2.Red Dead Redemption; Right off the bat, I have to say that the Mexico part sucked and it should have been cut out or at least revised story wise like many people have said. With that out the way, it was an extremely well realized world and the ending has gotta be one of the most surprisingly well done endings in recent memory. I had loads of fun playing the Multiplayer with other fellow GAFfers (you know who you are) and almost all the characters except for a few, are great and it retains Rockstar's signature humor. And there's plenty of stuff still left to do in the Multiplayer.
3.Resonance of Fate; This is Tri-Ace's best game to date and one of the funniest games I've played this year. The main characters are funny and don't take each other seriously, especially Vashyron who's one of the best new characters this year and the side characters are for the most part, eccentric and kind of nuts. Although the main story was kind of complicated, it didn't stop me from enjoying the characters and the Gun-Fu crazy combat.
4.Dead Rising 2; It's a good sequel. I enjoyed it despite the fact that the game offered few achievement tied in game awards compared to DR1, so that sucked and framerate issues. It was fun to kill zombies with crazy combo weapons.
5.Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; The revamped combat system makes this game a blast to go through and puts AC2's combat to shame. The MP's pretty good I suppose, although after reading that it was stolen from another developer's idea, it loses respect for that and the Romulus Tombs are o.k. Other than that it's a pretty good sequel and I loved micromanaging would-be Assassins and sending them on missions and the crossbow was pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what direction Ubisoft plans on taking AC3 in without Patrice Desillets.
6.Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light; I haven't fully beaten the game, but I've played enough of it to say that it's one of the best DD games out there and the co-op's pretty good from what little I've played of it and more enjoyable (I played it with my brother; local). There's a ton of stuff to unlock, a pretty decent story, lots of puzzles and combat thrown in, a score system and RPG elements which make this game a worthy purchase as there's a lot of bang for your buck and I got it for 800MSP. It's a great overall and I enjoyed the playing the single player as well as the co-op and there's plenty more to come.
7.Mass Effect 2; Lemme get it out of the way and say that ME2 disappointed me in that it turned into a corridor shooter with a little bit of RPG elements and a mission over screen and an overwhelming amount of characters with little overall plot progession and I loved ME1. With that out the way, I liked the interrupt system, and a couple of new characters like Mordin, Thane, and Legion but the rest of the characters sucked and I liked the fact that party members and crew members can all die although I've only beaten it once. Despite my qualms, I thought it was a decent sequel with a lot of flaws.
8.Splinter Cell: Conviction; I'm not that much of a fan of the Splinter Cell series and my only experience with the SC series is SC1. With that being said, I enjoyed it for what it was and I liked messing around with all the different ways to take down enemies and the take downs themselves, although the story was pretty forgettable and it reminded me of MW2's story. And the co-op is pretty damn good I must say.
9.Prince of Persia: TFS; Despite the fact that the story is pretty forgettable and meh, I loved the platforming sections and it was some of the best platforming in the series whereas the combat was pretty boring. The last part of the game was pretty cool and it reminded me of Bayonetta's prologue.
10. Bayonetta; Great action game, over-the-top, lots of references and extremely deep and rewarding.

x Toy Soldiers; Awesome strategy game and one of the best XBLA games. I loved the WW1 theme and setting.
x Scott Pilgrim VS The World; I love me some beat em ups and this game was pretty awesome and delivered in spades.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The best 3D platformer ever made
2. Red Dead Redemption ; The best videogame western ever made, and it set a high bar.
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; Insanely fun and difficult to put down. I loved it.
4. Fallout: New Vegas ; So much better than Fallout 3 in almost every way.
5. Mass Effect 2 ; I'm a sucker for sci-fi, and even if this game had a really disappointing ending, I still can't wait for the third installment.
6. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors ; Some of the best, most interesting storytelling of the year.
7. Amnesia: The Dark Descent ; First truly scary game I've played in a long time
8. Civilization 5 ; So many positive steps, and a few missteps, but overall still my favorite strategy series in the absence of Alpha Centauri
9. Goldeneye 007 ; A surprisingly fun game... I expected mediocrity, but I couldn't stop playing this. A welcome surprise.
10. Costume Quest; My girlfriend's favorite game this year, so I had to include it :p

Dabanton

Can't wait to see the result. :D

I'm expecting either ME2 or RDR as the top contenders they seem to be in nearly every list.

When was the last time a multiformat game won GOTY?

AniHawk

You're making my head spin... are you in favour of heavy rain or against it!

I am honestly confused. What does Twilight Princess being available on multiple platforms in 2006 have to do with Heavy Rain being better than most games (and movies) of the last decade?

nny

Well, I'm not in time for voting, but I just wanted to mention Last Window. Unfortunately, it was not released in the US so it didn't get as much exposure as it deserved. A nice sendoff for Cing.

<3

Damn, I thought I had longer to consider some of my choices (I thought it ended tonight). Well, I'll put my list up anyway.

1) Mass Effect 2
2) Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
3) Alpha Protocol (PC)
4) Donkey Kong Country Returns
5) Metro 2033
6) Tales of Monkey Island
7) Dragon Quest 9
8) Super Mario Galaxy 2
9) Red Dead Redemption
10 Deadly Premonition

Worst Game: Heavy Rain

BowieZ

Banned
Massa said:
Spoiler alert, I've been counting the votes and the winner is
Heavy Rain
:lol But seriously, I've been tallying the votes for the obvious top ~ 10 or so and the GOTY2010 is
not
what
ur thinking

Empty

bah. forgot to edit my list into a top 10 and change it to include stuff i played over christmas break. oh well.

Ydahs

It'd be awesome if we can get a tally of most voted for games. That is, the games that appeared the most in the lists.

tiff

Banned
Ydahs said:
It'd be awesome if we can get a tally of most voted for games. That is, the games that appeared the most in the lists.
It'll likely be the games that end up winning anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom