• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
I was tempted to vote for Reach, but I didn't play enough games released this year to make the vote seem meaningful. I played mostly catch-up on older games like Fallout 3 and Arkham Asylum, and a gaggle of Arcade games. That and tripe like Crackdown 2.

It was the best game I played last year, but I didn't play many games from last year, last year.
Yeah that's why I never vote in these threads. Thanks to my backlog I tend to be a year behind. I actually played a lot more new games last year than normal but only Mass Effect 2 and Lara Croft were good enough for me to consider giving them a GOTY vote.

EDIT: Holy crap I forgot Galaxy 2 came out this year.

cantona222

I voted many days ago and I haven't followed this thread since then. So, when are we gonna see a post of the final results? and is it gonna be in a new thread?

cantona222 said:
I voted many days ago and I haven't followed this thread since then. So, when are we gonna see a post of the final results? and is it gonna be in a new thread?

We're going to try and post the results thread in about 8 hours. Please don't race to get the first reply, as we'll need the first few posts to get everything up.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So, we already know that Mass Effect 2 is the winner, and Red Dead Redemption is the runner up. It'll get more interesting at 3. I would guess that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will hold that slot, but after that it's seems wide open. Bayonetta might be up there, as well as Super Meat Boy. Halo 3: Reach is sure to be up there as well. After those, it's hard to predict.

Dead Rising 2 should be above most of those games, but most people don't know how awesome it is.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cheesemeister said:
We're going to try and post the results thread in about 8 hours. Please don't race to get the first reply, as we'll need the first few posts to get everything up.

DontPanic.gif

Haunted

Amir0x said:
If I buy 999 and it's like fucking Last Window or one of the other terrible DS adventure games bandied about as some storytelling pinaccle I'm never buying anything GAF recommends again

this time I AM SERIOUS
Don't listen to them. The story is infuriatingly verbose nonsensical Japanese garbage, despite what the fans bedazzled by some narrative tricks want you to believe.

It's a visual novel with super-short escape the room sequences, you'll hate it. Watching someone else play Heavy Rain provides more gameplay than 999.

BaronLundi said:
It's the best surprise of 2010 though with Heavy Rain and Limbo
Everything you need to know, Ami.

AniHawk

If I buy 999 and it's like fucking Last Window or one of the other terrible DS adventure games bandied about as some storytelling pinaccle I'm never buying anything GAF recommends again

this time I AM SERIOUS

You're going to hate it. The reasons I like it aren't exactly the reasons you'd like a video game.

One, it's not much of a video game. Tons of writing means clicking through tons of text. When people say it's a visual novel, they aren't kidding. The "adventure" segments are few and far in-between (one that you have to play and 2-4 other segments throughout the rest of the game depending on your path). Hotel Dusk, despite it being presented like a book, had more of an adventure game feel.

Two, I'm not sure you'll appreciate the final twist. For me, it was like the end boss from Beyond Good & Evil or Metal Gear Solid 3, a small moment when you're given control that actually says a lot. And it's a really, really small thing that's done, but it puts the entire rest of the game and how the story was told in another light. The actual plot twists are sometimes predictable and sometimes really crazy, but the way the last one is done is brilliant and justified the craziness that came before.

Three, there's a lot of repetition (a lot of repetition) to get the true ending. I think it took me about 20+ hours to get it.

But, basically what I enjoyed about it was that the designers asked what could be done with a story in video games, and they took this kinda overused thing (won't say what it is lol) and decided to do something new with it. Heavy Rain, by comparison, could basically exist as a choose-your-own-adventure book.

I don't think it's quite as slow-going as Hotel Dusk was though. And I don't think anyone was recommending it to you. I certainly wouldn't have.

But you know what you'd really like? DKCR. We could talk about how much we like it in the main thread at the same time!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
AniHawk said:
You're going to hate it. The reasons I like it aren't exactly the reasons you'd like a video game.
Yeah, I said in my GAF review that it probably pushed the definition of "video game" more then any other title I've ever played. But as a visual novel its awesome, the occasionaly lackluster writing made up for that hard-to-capture feeling of actually being involved with the story.

Durante

Regarding 999, it may not have much gameplay, but what's there is actually pretty good. Puzzles in adventure games are often either unintuitive guessing games or far too easy. The rooms in 999 are all internally consistent and can be figured out from the clues presented, while still requiring some thought.

The writing is wordy and some of the dialogue is very unrealistic, but I don't mind that.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
But you know what you'd really like? DKCR. We could talk about how much we like it in the main thread at the same time!
I thought you didn't like it.

Man I still need to pick this up, what's wrong with me

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cheesemeister said:

If there's a lot of posts required, PM a mod in advance, post the thread in Community/Online, and a mod will move it to Gaming when the mega-OP is done. It's easier on us than cutting out 24398739487 "FIRST!!!! LOl!!!!!! OMG!!!!! ME2 PWNT!!!!!" posts

Stumpokapow said:
If there's a lot of posts required, PM a mod in advance, post the thread in Community/Online, and a mod will move it to Gaming when the mega-OP is done. It's easier on us than cutting out 24398739487 "FIRST!!!! LOl!!!!!! OMG!!!!! ME2 PWNT!!!!!" posts

Cool, thanks for the heads-up.

what's actually the character limit per post btw?
(and is there maybe even a greasemonkey script that can display how many characters you have left?)

Haunted

BaronLundi said:
Ain't that grand to have people at the polar opposite of the spectrum taste wise (*cough*with good taste*cough*) so they can help you dodge disillusion :lol
:lol Ami and I might have very different tastes, but we share some dislikes.

For the record, I loved Limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom