• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Ohh the anticipation is building. I'm now contemplating if I should create my own little script to calculate the scores :lol

Would be awesome if the GOTY is a game not often mentioned first (4 points) but very often voted second or third place (3 points). THEN NO ONE WILL AGREE :lol

Kurtofan said:
You don't have to mine every planets you know.
I never got the mining complaints, as I only mined four-five planets in ME2.You don't need much more.

I've just started the game, good to know it doesn't take a lot of mining to research.

TheRagnCajun said:
I've just started the game, good to know it doesn't take a lot of mining to research.

Mine only whan you have something to research, I ended having +100000 unused mineral of each kind (except for element zero).

BowieZ

Banned
Legendary Warrior said:
So people who wouldn't vote for any of those are still boned.
The point is not to avoid bonedness, but rather to focus the list down to a handful of games and give people a month-or-so's chance to play the real contenders (or investigate / watch youtube videos etc) so that more people have a say in what is the BEST of the "best".

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
BowieZ said:
The point is not to avoid bonedness, but rather to focus the list down to a handful of games and give people a month-or-so's chance to play the real contenders (or investigate / watch youtube videos etc) so that more people have a say in what is the BEST of the "best".
Eh, problem is I play most of the major GotY contenders on the platforms I own anyway thanks to GAF-awareness. Another month isn't going to change the fact that I don't own a PS3 or 360.

tiff

Banned
BowieZ said:
That puts too much emphasis on the very top games when that's not the only interesting thing about these threads imo, but, y'know, whatever.

Durante

BowieZ said:
But the whole point of the GAF GotY awards, for me, is to point out the quality games that aren't on every big sites' shortlist. The point structure and 10-item lists are designed for just that.

Dave Long

Banned
My son bought Donkey Kong Country Returns yesterday and it looked pretty damn brilliant watching him play (and hard!). Another that I wish I had time for...

Amir0x said:
I hope Mass Effect 2 wins over Red Dead. Red Dead was one of those games that really did not click with me at all.
I feel the same way. I thought I'd love RDR, but the game just didn't captivate me in any sort of way. The story itself felt like a mobster scenario shoehorned into the old West, which shouldn't be surprising considering the premise of GTA-in-the-old-West, but it was annoyingly disappointing nonetheless. And while everyone can rave about the scenery, etc, it just didn't do anything for me. Sure, I can admit that's probably because I actually grew up hiking, camping, horseback riding, and hunting in that area, but it still doesn't take away from it feeling like a silly caricature of the actual landscape. I mean, when you're talking about having to deal with a dozen cougars after dropping some "bait" on the ground, you know you're dealing with something absolutely ridiculous.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
flabberghastly said:
I feel the same way. I thought I'd love RDR, but the game just didn't captivate me in any sort of way. The story itself felt like a mobster scenario shoehorned into the old West, which shouldn't be surprising considering the premise of GTA-in-the-old-West, but it was annoyingly disappointing nonetheless. And while everyone can rave about the scenery, etc, it just didn't do anything for me. Sure, I can admit that's probably because I actually grew up hiking, camping, horseback riding, and hunting in that area, but it still doesn't take away from it feeling like a silly caricature of the actual landscape. I mean, when you're talking about having to deal with a dozen cougars after dropping some "bait" on the ground, you know you're dealing with something absolutely ridiculous.

Baiting never worked for me unless it was one of those random encounter side-missions in which you help another hunter.

It would be neat if we had a list of gaffers whose top 10 was the same games in the same order as the GAF GOTY top 10. Also I wonder if anyone listed 10 games where not one of them appeared on someone else's list

Who are our most average and unique gaffers?

Edit: Did Icecream vote? Thats the only top 10 that matters

Yeef

flabberghastly said:
I feel the same way. I thought I'd love RDR, but the game just didn't captivate me in any sort of way. The story itself felt like a mobster scenario shoehorned into the old West, which shouldn't be surprising considering the premise of GTA-in-the-old-West, but it was annoyingly disappointing nonetheless.
The story is an amalgam of a bunch of different popular western movies, but mainly a takeoff of The Proposition, one of my personal favorites.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ShockingAlberto said:
I kind of wish I could go back and edit 999 in to my post.

Oh, well.

Man, it's so weird. Before release I was like "this is going to be such a sleeper hit". Then I forgot to buy it. Then it ended up being a sleeper hit and I feel like I'm the only one who didn't play it. Hurrr.

AniHawk

Man, it's so weird. Before release I was like "this is going to be such a sleeper hit". Then I forgot to buy it. Then it ended up being a sleeper hit and I feel like I'm the only one who didn't play it. Hurrr.

It's the exact sort of thing Heavy Rain wishes it was.

Well, okay, maybe not the exact sort of thing, but the design and the way it's woven into the storytelling is outstanding.

AniHawk said:

Well, okay, maybe not the exact sort of thing, but the design and the way it's woven into the storytelling is outstanding.

Pretty much. I should've put it higher in my list, actually.

As far as storytelling goes, 999 is leagues beyond Heavy Rain, but it won't get the credit for it. Such a shame. Heavy Rain is stuck in the dark ages by comparison.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:

A ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one. Going to have to remember to pick it up before it goes out of print.

AniHawk said:

I completely agree. And that is coming from someone who loved Heavy Rain.

AniHawk said:

This is actually a fantastic analogy.

Helmholtz

Super Meat Boy better win.
In all seriousness though, I'd be fine with RDR or ME2. I think RDR is a better game, but it's a close call.

Amir0x

Banned
If I buy 999 and it's like fucking Last Window or one of the other terrible DS adventure games bandied about as some storytelling pinaccle I'm never buying anything GAF recommends again

this time I AM SERIOUS

Grisby

Amir0x said:
I hope Mass Effect 2 wins over Red Dead. Red Dead was one of those games that really did not click with me at all.

I feel the same way. It should have clicked. I liked GTA and the gameplay and yadda yadda. The western setting and production values were great. It's just that I never felt like I was doing anything worthwhile and after beating it I couldn't even remember a lot of the story missions.

I think the pacing was just killed for me in Mexico and it never came back.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
If I buy 999 and it's like fucking Last Window or one of the other terrible DS adventure games bandied about as some storytelling pinaccle I'm never buying anything GAF recommends again

this time I AM SERIOUS
I heard it's pretty wordy at times, but I've yet to pick it up.

Snuggly you back!!

Amir0x said:

this time I AM SERIOUS

It's very verbose. Go in prepared to do a LOT of reading and a lot of replaying the game over and over.

If you're not willing to do that, then don't bother.

ZZMitch

Minecraft is gunna win it all!

Please just be in the top 25 or I lose ALL faith in GAF, top 15 only lose a little faith, top 10 and faith remains at the current level

Amir0x said:

this time I AM SERIOUS

You aren't going to like it.

timetokill said:
It's very verbose. Go in prepared to do a LOT of reading and a lot of replaying the game over and over.

If you're not willing to do that, then don't bother.

Probably shouldn't bother else we might be in for a lot of reading.

It's the best surprise of 2010 though
with Heavy Rain and Limbo

GhaleonEB

I was tempted to vote for Reach, but I didn't play enough games released this year to make the vote seem meaningful. I played mostly catch-up on older games like Fallout 3 and Arkham Asylum, and a gaggle of Arcade games. That and tripe like Crackdown 2.

It was the best game I played last year, but I didn't play many games from last year, last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom