• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS interface / firmware / built-in applications thread

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
jman2050 said:
Dash.

dallow_bg said:
It won't even hold a candle to a smartphone browser. Sorry.

Out of wild curiosity, is there any reason for us to be sure of that at the moment? I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be, mind you, but I wasn't aware that there had been an overview of it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
DavidDayton said:
Dash.
Out of wild curiosity, is there any reason for us to be sure of that at the moment? I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be, mind you, but I wasn't aware that there had been an overview of it.
Resolution, mostly. But if they use Opera again, the browser is going to be as good as it can be with those specs. Just like Wii's.

DarkWish

Okay, based on recent videos, I've updated my list of official names of everything on the menu...

Top bar:
Screen brightness (not really a name for this)
Change menu icon size (not really a name for this)
Game Notes
Friends List (not sure of official name)
Notifications
Internet Browser

Menu icons:
Health & Safety Information
Nintendo 3DS Camera
Nintendo 3DS Sound
Mii Maker
StreetPass Mii Plaza
AR Games
Face Raiders
Activity Log
Download Play
Nintendo eShop
Settings
And of course, the space for where the 3DS or DS games show up when inserted

Emitan

Stumpokapow said:
if only nintendo had a CCG franchise they could release on a handheld...
I'd rather it not involve real cards. I loved the GBC version because it was self contained.

Shit sky3d could be a megaton for me, i dont see me buying a big 3dtv atm but would love to watch some football in 3d as sky do 3d games every week.

Empty said:
has enix ever put a dragon quest game up on a download service before?

if japanese phones count, sure.

gofreak said:
You can switch into one of the 4 'multitasking' apps while using the camera. You can't switch into the camera app while using others. If that makes sense.

it doesn't, at all, but this is nintendo.

so there's little chance of new downloadable apps being multitaskable?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some info here. Kotaku did finally get around to asking about friend list.

http://kotaku.com/5738668/short-cords-long-friend-lists-and-other-burning-3ds-questions-answered

We know the Friend Code system is better this time around. Can you even send messages to people while you're playing, maybe while the game is suspended?
Trinen says "the goal is there will be some messaging functions" but couldn't lock in details for us.

How many friends can we have registered in the system?
Nintendo's pegging it at "about 100."

By the sounds of it I guess the friend list app wasn't accessible at the show - I'm sure SOMEONE would have gotten video of it by now if it was.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DavidDayton said:

RAM, resolution, 3G support.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Would the apps be available in DS mode? I can see some DS games benefiting for obvious reason. 999 in particular.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Stumpokapow said:
RAM, resolution, 3G support.

3G support really seems unfair, though -- not all handheld or wireless devices need to be phones or use phone services, afterall, especially in this age of rising data rates.

I'll give you RAM and resolution, although we still haven't seen this system in place, and it IS Opera we're talking about...

rpmurphy

One thing I just saw on a video on NWR is that there's top screen animations and chimes for apps and games now, rather than just the animated icons for the DSi. Much like on the Wii. Very nice.

Oh, and I love how what's on the screen at the moment you press the Home button fades into the background of the top screen. Almost like a universal pause screen option.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Did anyone bother to ask if the activity log will be able to count steps if you have the system in a bag ?

cw_sasuke said:
Did anyone bother to ask if the activity log will be able to count steps if you have the system in a bag ?

Why wouldn't it? The system is likely just using the motion sensor (was it a gyro or accelerometer? I forget) and it's just as likely to track the movement of your bag as you walk as it is to track your own movement, or the movement of the jacket you're wearing etc. etc.

Shiggie

Cosmonaut X said:
Why wouldn't it? The system is likely just using the motion sensor (was it a gyro or accelerometer? I forget) and it's just as likely to track the movement of your bag as you walk as it is to track your own movement, or the movement of the jacket you're wearing etc. etc.
both.

Friend Code is 12 digits long.

AQdrm.jpg

Also, "we will distribute the classic games with a new 3D look, called "3D Classics." So no need to worry about that.

Jikagi

Sammy Samusu said:
Friend Code is 12 digits long.

AQdrm.jpg

Also, "we will distribute the classic games with a new 3D look, called "3D Classics." So no need to worry about that.
Not too bad, at least the FC is less than what the Wii had (I think it was 16 digits)

Has there been any info about how DS games look and play on this? I wonder if the screen will be stretched or if it will be 1:1 with black borders.

I'm also curious if the analog slider can replace the d-pad

Top Bottom