• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS interface / firmware / built-in applications thread

sfog

SolarPowered said:
Edit: I love that you can change the brightness settings in the middle of a game. It'll make gaming sessions easier on the eyes without having to change brightness settings whenever you play multiple games at night.

You could already do that on the DSi/XL by holding Select and pressing the volume buttons.

Amir0x

Banned
notes is a good feature, will likely use that at some point.

Miss flipnote studio though... that was the only application thingy I ever really liked between Wii and DS :/

sfog

Amir0x said:

Miss flipnote studio though... that was the only application thingy I ever really liked between Wii and DS :/

Even if it isn't built-in, I'd think it could still be downloaded as a DSiWare app via the 3DS.

mooooose

Amir0x said:

Wait... WHAT?! 3DS WON'T HAVE FLIPNOTE?!?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
KAL2006 said:
-AR Games - one game is Face Raiders, where you battle against your friends photos

Face Raiders has nothing to do with the AR Games. It is an independent built in game that makes use of the camera. The AR Games line, a different button app on the 3DS, features cards you have to lay on a table or floor.

Glix

Amir0x said:

You'll get 2D flipnote. You can just xfer it over from the DSi.

Or buy it off of DSiware on the 3DS

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
You could get it from the DSiWare store and use it on 3DS, couldn't you?
They could for whatever reason don't allow this one to be exported. Probably not though.

Wiseblade

Amir0x said:

Judging from This:
Games_e-shop_virtual-console.png

DSiWare game will be available on the 3DS eShop, so you should be able to use it, or Nintendo will release an updated version. Nintendo did a sizable promotion in co-operation with Aardman using flipnote studio not too long ago, so I doubt they'll abandon it when both companies plan to work closer together.

Has anything been said about messaging friends? I imagine it will be possible, just as it was on the Wii Message Board... it will be cool if messages and friend requests show up in Notifications along with any StreetPass stuff.

I think with firmware updates, they'll actually have a pretty nice thing in place this time. The main thing holding the Wii back in terms of updating functionality of the system in-game was that the Home menu stuff was baked into each game, rather than running independently on the system. Theoretically, there won't be much that they can't add to the system this time.

antonz

radioheadrule83 said:
Has anything been said about messaging friends? I imagine it will be possible, just as it was on the Wii Message Board... it will be cool if messages and friend requests show up in Notifications along with any StreetPass stuff.

I think with firmware updates, they'll actually have a pretty nice thing in place this time. The main thing holding the Wii back in terms of updating functionality of the system in-game was that the Home menu stuff was baked into each game, rather than running independently on the system. Theoretically, there won't be much that they can't add to the system this time.

There was something about being able to mail friends so we have at least that basic message service in place.

Overall I am pretty impressed. Nintendo has overall seemingly learned alot from the Wii and DS when it comes to OS and Online. They still have areas to improve but they took some big steps here.

radioheadrule83 said:

There are SpotPass notifications, which I'd assume could include messages from friends.

DarkWish

If anyone wants official names for the apps, what I've been able to find are the following:

Top bar:
Screen brightness (not really a name for this)
Change menu icon size (not really a name for this)
Game Notes
Friends list (not sure of official name)
Notifications
Internet Browser

Menu icons:
Nintendo 3DS Camera
Nintendo 3DS Sound
Mii Maker
StreetPass Mii Plaza
AR Games
Face Raiders
Activity Log
Nintendo eShop
Settings (I assume this is there, but I haven't actually seen it)

Also, the whole game coins thing where you rack up coins with the pedometer is called "Play Coins", in case anyone missed that.

And no, there's no PictoChat.

We really need more info on Game Coins. They just glossed over it.
What games use it? What can you buy with them? Can you get them other ways besides walking?

sfog said:
You could already do that on the DSi/XL by holding Select and pressing the volume buttons.
I never got the DSi or the XL so I had did not know that these features already existed. I've been pretty happy with my little blue lite for all this time now and I was waiting for the big update to arrive. The lack of a GBA slot was a big red mark when I first saw the DSi too.

antonz said:
Overall I am pretty impressed. Nintendo has overall seemingly learned alot from the Wii and DS when it comes to OS and Online. They still have areas to improve but they took some big steps here.

They have indeed.

I'm actually a bit disappointed in several posters here on GAF when it comes to their reaction to the OS/online unveiling. This looks to be a really solid setup, with some nice "Nintendo" ideas, all wrapped in a pretty appealing package. There are some niggles, and they haven't gone quite as far as I'd hoped in a couple of areas, but it's a massive step up and looks to be built for future expansion and revision.

With all that in mind, seeing a stream of posts that basically come down to "Meh - they've not done x / not done x as it *should* be done" seems a bit too glass-half-empty for me.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
What games use it? What can you buy with them? Can you get them other ways besides walking?
Yeah, Seth Killian declined to comment as well. But didn't seem good.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AceBandage said:

At the NoE event they just said that that you'd be able to use them to unlock extra content in compatible games. And that you earned them by walking. No specifics on what games would support it though.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
KAL2006 said:
I hope us folks from UK get

iPlayer
4OD
Five Demand
iTV player
Seesaw

I also hope we all get
YouTube app with tv shows
Facebook app
Twitter app
hell they should have an app store similar to iPhone

fixed

Emitan

I never thought the AR cards would be that cool. DS was my favorite system ever, and the 3DS seems to be making the best system ever even better. My body cannot hold such readiness.

Mdk7

Billychu said:
I never thought the AR cards would be that cool. DS was my favorite system ever, and the 3DS seems to be making the best system ever even better. My body cannot hold such readiness.
The one with the dragon that was at the N booth at E3 was something mindblowing.

Too bad that after the initial surprise i fear that not even a single developer will make a clever use of this feature (see what happened with WiiConnect 24 and PictoChat for reference).

Mdk7 said:
The one with the dragon that was at the N booth at E3 was something mindblowing.

Too bad that after the initial surprise i fear that not even a single developer will make a clever use of this feature (see what happened with WiiConnect 24 and PictoChat for reference).

There was really nothing you could do with PictoChat, though.
I can see a LOT of AR games being released on the eShop.

antonz

AR I really see being a popular thing. Studios can develop some interesting games for cheap and market them in the store as low priced games.

swerve

Stumpokapow said:
if only nintendo had a CCG franchise they could release on a handheld...

omg I *LOVE* Card Hero.

:)

No, but seriously, I do. Card Hero will be awesome on 3DS even when everyone is playing PokeMon CCG The Video Game

I'm guessing that the remaining questions about the OS features - 3DSWare, what happened to 3D Classics, available video content in the US - will be answered by Iwata as part of his GDC keynote. Yeah, that's after the Japanese launch, but DSiWare wasn't available at launch there either.

gblues

Banned
Step 1: Put Dragon Warrior 1&2, and Dragon Warrior 3 GBC on Virtual Console
Step 2: Port Dragon Quest 7 and 8 to the 3DS

If these two things happen, the 3DS becomes the Dragon Quest console of the forever. You would be able to play every game on the series with it.

Make it happen, Squeenix!

KAL2006

Banned
I really want to see how good the web browser is, a decent web browser is important to me. I want to see how bad it is due to the shitty screen resolution. I also want to see how fast it is compared to iPhone. I love chilling with my mates iPhone and using the web browser while sitting in the living room

a decent web browser is going to be one of my deciding factors of if I want to get a PSP2 or 3DS first (will end up with both in a few years though)

Stumpokapow said:
if only nintendo had a CCG franchise they could release on a handheld...

Eye of Judgment returns!
But done right! It could link with a new Pokemon TCG RPG game as well!

The best thing is, Nintendo could technically do it without having to release any new cards at all!

boiled goose

good with gravy
hopefully they someday integrate the virtual console between portables and consoles.
If you own the game, you can play it on either the console or portable.

I would like to play NES, SNES games on the go and sometimes play GB games at home.
It is fine if n64 games cant be downloaded to the portable because of lack of buttons, but otherwise it would be nice.

It would be nice to have an account based system where you can have 3 devices tied to your account.

Empty

gblues said:

If these two things happen, the 3DS becomes the Dragon Quest console of the forever. You would be able to play every game on the series with it.

has enix ever put a dragon quest game up on a download service before?

KAL2006

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Eye of Judgment returns!
But done right! It could link with a new Pokemon TCG RPG game as well!

The best thing is, Nintendo could technically do it without having to release any new cards at all!

a Pokemon version of Eye of Judgement would be fucking awesome, but that will never happen as its too awesome and makes too much sense

justchris

gblues said:

I'm down. I would totally rebuy DW1, 2 & 3. I clearly don't own enough copies of any of them.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
KAL2006 said:
I really want to see how good the web browser is, a decent web browser is important to me. I want to see how bad it is due to the shitty screen resolution. I also want to see how fast it is compared to iPhone. I love chilling with my mates iPhone and using the web browser while sitting in the living room

a decent web browser is going to be one of my deciding factors of if I want to get a PSP2 or 3DS first (will end up with both in a few years though)
It won't even hold a candle to a smartphone browser. Sorry.

Top Bottom