• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS interface / firmware / built-in applications thread

KAL2006

Banned
Here is a video of the OS, there will be a longer video from Kotaku soon
http://kotaku.com/5737661/

These are the in game apps that can be launched in game, similar to in game XMB and dashboard
- notepad app - basically a scribblepad (imagine you can leave notes while doing a Zelda puzzle)
- friends list
- activity log (spotpass and streetpass notifications, game history and stats)
- web browser

Apps in the menu
-3DS store (Virtual Console, 3D classics, DSiWare, 3DSWare, 3D movies, Software download)
-Sky 3D (not for launch, Europe only)
-Eurosports 3D (not for launch, Europe only)
-Photo - create and view 3D and 2D photos
-Mii Creator
-AR Games
-Settings
-Music Player - (MP3 support) Edit and play with sounds.
-StreetPass Mii Plaza - A plaza where Mii characters acquired via StreetPass gather. Here you can check out the profiles of other Nintendo 3DS players via their Mii character profiles, such as which country and region they are from and their most recently played game.
there are more icons in the menu but I cant tell what they are
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/systems/pre-installed_software_30864.html

5 Levels of brightness setting (can be changed in game)
Powersaving mode

Updated longer hands on
http://kotaku.com/5737878/hands+on-with-the-3ds-picture-morphing-monster-seeing-freebies

EDIT: I'll put his in the OT as people keep asking about GBA, SNES and etc.
Nintendo are probably finding it difficult to emulate GBA games, once they figure it out, I am sure they will start releasing GBA games. As for SNES, NES and N64, well Nintendo said they will be releasing some classic games with enhancements (such as 3D), I think this is better than lame rom dumps. So in conclusion rom dumps for GB/GBC, some classic console games (SNES/NES) getting enhanced ports, some N64 games getting remakes (Star Fox and Zelda), and we are waiting to see what happens with GBA.

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Notepad is new. That's gonna come in very handy for Zelda and Layton :D

Cool to see that you can have 3 rows of icons as well as 1-2!

Hint: The new Layton games do have a notepad function.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Neuromancer said:
That notepad app is really going to eat into sales of My Notebook: Carbon and My Notebook: Shift.

Not if you can 3DSWare open at the same time, on the video Kotaku have the Mii Channel has a green dot on it - maybe it's open.

Medalion

Banned
Pretty neat, but was hoping for a whole new look to the interface than a slightly modified DSi OS, oh well... maybe future firmware updates may change it, who knows

zigg

VOOK said:
Not if you can 3DSWare open at the same time, on the video Kotaku have the Mii Channel has a green dot on it - maybe it's open.

Tathanen was just speculating that it meant there might be new data for that app. e.g. you StreetPassed some new Miis.

KAL2006

Banned
I hope you can save more that one notepad, it would be great if I can open a GameFAQs guide while in game, but I am guessing this is going to be more of a scribble pad that can't be saved as a file

Poyunch

Didn't the DSi need to be open for the music player to work? If it's the same way for the 3DS I'll be somewhat disappointed.

KAL2006

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Didn't the DSi need to be open for the music player to work? If it's the same way for the 3DS I'll be somewhat disappointed.

I agree, the music player should have been an in game feature too

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
PounchEnvy said:
No, you can close it and still listen to the music through a pair of headphones.

Ezduo

Banned
I wish someone would post a video clicking on the freaking friends list already instead of screwing around with the Mii and AR stuff we've already seen.

zigg

Effect said:
Like the new interface. I hope that longer video goes up soon. I do hope the US version is getting extra apps the way the Euro version and I'm sure the Japanese version are getting.

Netflix 3D would be pretty fantastic.

KAL2006

Banned
I hope us folks from UK get

iPlayer
4OD
Five Demand
iTV player

I also hope we all get
YouTube app
Facebook app
Twitter app
hell they should have an app store similar to iPhone

Shiggy

KAL2006 said:
hell they should have an app store similar to iPhone

Games_e-shop_download.png

Nintendo 3DS download software

Discover exclusive content for your Nintendo 3DS and save it to an SD Memory Card which comes packaged with your system.

KAL2006

Banned
Shiggy said:
Games_e-shop_download.png

Nintendo 3DS download software

Discover exclusive content for your Nintendo 3DS and save it to an SD Memory Card which comes packaged with your system.

is that in the main menu, if so I may add that to the OP

Shiggy

KAL2006 said:
is that in the main menu, if so I may add that to the OP

It's part of what you call the 3DS Store, which actually is the eShop.

The Nintendo eShop has three parts:
- Virtual Console
Relive your memories of gaming classics by downloading Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles to play on your Nintendo 3DS.
- Nintendo DSiWare
Your Nintendo 3DS system also plays Nintendo DSiWare games: exciting and innovative games and applications from Nintendo and independent developers that can be downloaded to your system in an instant.
- Nintendo 3DS download software

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/systems/pre-installed_software_30864.html

Jazzem

And to the left of it is Dr Mario DSiWare. I hope some of the more obscure, hard to find Game Boy games go up on the 3DS store. And of course, GBA games need to happen!

KAL2006

Banned
Nintendo are probably finding it difficult to emulate GBA games, once they figure it out, I am sure they will start releasing GBA games. As for SNES, NES and N64, well Nintendo said they will be releasing some classic games with enhancements (such as 3D), I think this is better than lame rom dumps. So in conclusion rom dumps for GB/GBC, some classic console games (SNES/NES) getting enhanced ports, some N64 games getting remakes (Star Fox and Zelda), and we are waiting to see what happens with GBA.

Jazzem

Actually now that I think about it, isn't the way sound is handled on the original GBA a bit weird? Would that make it hard to emulate in the same way the Mega Drive/Genesis is?

KAL2006 said:
These are the in game apps that can be launched in game, similar to in game XMB and dashboard
- notepad app (imagine you can leave notes while doing a Zelda puzzle)
- friends list
- activity log (spotpass and streetpass notifications, game history and stats)
- web browser

All four of these are huge (and far beyond my expectations), but the notepad in particular is the feature of the forever. If it's per-session this is like a 9.5/10 feature; if it's persistent in some way across games/reboots it's like a 29,000/10.

JodyAnthony said:
so does stuff play right off the SD card, then? I hope so.

I think that was confirmed.

Gravijah said:
Will Nintendo update the OS over time with new features?

Well, apparently 3DSWare and Virtual Handheld won't be on the system on launch date, so they really ought to be able to. :p

zigg

Gravijah said:
But will they? Haha. Guess we'll see.

Precedent and the PR suggest they will. DSi shop was available a few days before launch. Nintendo's only saying that the DSiWare transfers will be available after launch; only saying an update is required for the eShop.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will the new store let me browse in other ways than just a fucking A-Z list with three items per page? Ideally letting me scroll backwards to the bottom of the list quickly, and maybe even remembering where in the fucking list I was when I buy something - just occasionally I want to buy a couple of things.

Its such a shit shop. grr.

swerve

charlequin said:
If it's per-session this is like a 9.5/10 feature; if it's persistent in some way across games/reboots it's like a 29,000/10.

*SURELY* it'll be persistent. I'm imagining like flipnote studio, but without the animation features.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanna hear more about this friends list stuff. Please let it be comparable to XBL (-$60).

Top Bottom