• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got an Xbox Live update right now...

Wasn't this always an option?

Edit: Ahhhh, now I see. I was thinking the option where you insert the disc and automatically boots up.

Nice. Be able to skip all the dashboard stuff and go straight you gaming. :)

Pooya

also this tomorrow:

a_med_2656.clip_image002_thumb_1374A580.jpg.jpg

black_vegeta said:
Wasn't this always an option?
it was, the new kinect dash disabled it, it was a bug.

GhaleonEB

Xbox LIVE Dashboard update:

On Wednesday, January 19th we will issue a mandatory dashboard update that (re) enables the ‘Boot to Disc’ option in the Xbox 360 dashboard. After you accept the update, you’ll be able to set the option to boot to the Xbox 360 dashboard OR directly to the game you have in the tray when you power up your console. This option can be found in the System Settings.​
http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/01/18/xbox-live-and-xbox-com-updates-this-week.aspx

And yeah, I thought it was already an option. Though I wouldn't miss it since I boot to Dashboard every time.

GhaleonEB said:
Xbox LIVE Dashboard update:

On Wednesday, January 19th we will issue a mandatory dashboard update that (re) enables the ‘Boot to Disc’ option in the Xbox 360 dashboard. After you accept the update, you’ll be able to set the option to boot to the Xbox 360 dashboard OR directly to the game you have in the tray when you power up your console. This option can be found in the System Settings.​
http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/01/18/xbox-live-and-xbox-com-updates-this-week.aspx

And yeah, I thought it was already an option. Though I wouldn't miss it since I boot to Dashboard every time.
It was always an option, it just didn't work.

This is good when I'm heavy into a game and there's a 99% chance that I'm going to want to play it at startup, otherwise I like to boot to the dash and rummage around for a while.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I want a boot to game option for XBLA. When I hit that power button, I want it to go to Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers.

Eggo said:
I want a boot to game option for XBLA. When I hit that power button, I want it to go to Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers.

I think dashboard advert agreements might stop this even if they wanted to. It would be different than the disc option, as the disc has to come out sometime.

sangreal

Neuromancer said:
It was always an option, it just didn't work.

Actually, it wasn't always an option. It used to be the only behavior. The option to boot to the dashboard instead of the disc came later.

/pedantic

Had this pop up on me earlier and I wondered what it was for, my 360 has always booted to dash since it was first added in so I never noticed the bug.

Phloxy

Apparently anybody with a hacked Xbox can't play Modern Warfare 2, Blops, and Halo Reach. Talk about getting pwned lol.

Z_Y said:
This was a surprisingly annoying bug.

It was likely intentional to make the default option boot to dash so that people who leave Halo 3 in their Xbox all the time can see that theres other things to do on their Xbox. And honestly I think it worked. I actually have a group of friends who only bought a 360 for Halo 3 and never saw them do anything else until the latest dashboard update.

Dabanton

Phloxy said:
Apparently anybody with a hacked Xbox can't play Modern Warfare 2, Blops, and Halo Reach. Talk about getting pwned lol.

Good news.

Such an innocuous update and within it a trap was sprung for our freeloading 'friends'

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Phloxy said:
"Hey guys, here's an update that re-enables boot to disc. Nothing else. Honest. ;)"

sangreal said:
Actually, it wasn't always an option. It used to be the only behavior. The option to boot to the dashboard instead of the disc came later.

/pedantic
It was an option, it was just the only option! That's how convenient it was!

infinityBCRT said:
It was likely intentional to make the default option boot to dash so that people who leave Halo 3 in their Xbox all the time can see that theres other things to do on their Xbox. And honestly I think it worked. I actually have a group of friends who only bought a 360 for Halo 3 and never saw them do anything else until the latest dashboard update.
Mmm. Nice theory but I doubt it.

Phloxy said:
Weird timing if this is the case, but it might just be that MS is trying to keep the pressure on casual X360 modification after a huge influx of new systems and games came with the holiday season. And the timing is weird because it's almost as if MS is thumbing their nose at Sony given the cloudy, almost completely negative outlook for the future security of software and PSN very recently. Was probably just time for a flushing of the online community, I guess.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Dark Octave said:
lol Shadowrun?

I imagine many people will never see the dashboard again thanks to this option.

Plenty of people still play Shadowrun. Sadly when a PC player is on, all you get is digital garble when they talk which is rather frustrating. One of the dashboard updates broke voice chat in Shadowrun.

Z_Y

Meier said:
There are people who use the Boot to Disc option? What a nightmare.

Actually...I may have misunderstood the bug. I hate boot to disc. But my box has always booted to disc since the latest update and I thought that was the bug that had everybody peeved...so I never really went and tried to correct it.

Are you telling me that I've been living with an option that I could have easily disabled for the past 3 months?? Or were some people stuck with boot to disc...and others were stuck with boot to dash with no way of toggling? If so...that is hilarious.

WaltJay

Even when it was an option, I never used it. I like to check what my friends are playing first because often times I'm not sure what I want to play.

What would be nice, which will never happen, is if they let me pick what blade I see when I start up. My Friends please!

WaltJay said:
Even when it was an option, I never used it. I like to check what my friends are playing first because often times I'm not sure what I want to play.

What would be nice, which will never happen, is if they let me pick what blade I see when I start up. My Friends please!
Will never happen unless they figure out away to spam your friends blade with ads.

LosDaddie

Banned
Z_Y said:
Actually...I may have misunderstood the bug. I hate boot to disc. But my box has always booted to disc since the latest update and I thought that was the bug that had everybody peeved...so I never really went and tried to correct it.

Are you telling me that I've been living with an option that I could have easily disabled for the past 3 months?? Or were some people stuck with boot to disc...and others were stuck with boot to dash with no way of toggling? If so...that is hilarious.

I've been booting to the dashboard ever since MS gave X360 owners the option. Like someone else said, I like to check my FL and sometimes even Twitter/Facebook before playing a game.

Dabanton

LosDaddie said:
I've been booting to the dashboard ever since MS gave X360 owners the option. Like someone else said, I like to check my FL and sometimes even Twitter/Facebook before playing a game.

Same here i want to see what new content is up and what my friends are doing before i begin a game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
angelfly said:
Curious why only those titles as opposed to everything.
Maybe Microsoft realized the bulk of people likely use a single ISO, do a simple check to see if any files are changed, make the new firmware check those files for alterations, and stop it from booting.

One possibility is that it could just eat up a decent chunk of firmware space for each entry, so they kept it to a few large titles.

This is all baseless speculation mind you.

I don't use the option since a good amount of the time when I boot my 360, I want to play an XBLA game.

I boot to dash since half the time I have no idea what game I am going to play :p either I hop into my arcade games or pan over my retail games while a friend wants me to join him in party chat, so dashboard boot works the best for me.

As for those 3 games not working as copies now, I bet if gears 2 was still selling like hotcakes and had a super huge player base it would have the same treatment, microsoft's hot titles along with activision sleeping in the same bed, figures :p

Top Bottom