• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Blizzard In 2011 Or 2+ In 2012, CoD f2p, [Up: Neversoft New IP?]

Pooya

updated the op with notes from the conference.

// Mod Edit:

Kifimbo said:
The "new" franchise at the Toy Fair event might be Sypro. Called Sky Landers/Spyros Adventure.

Source: superannuation

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Beachhead_Studio_For_CoD_Online_Platform.php

Gamasutra said:
Sources have told Gamasutra that Neversoft, once heavily involved in the Guitar Hero brand, is working on a new original IP project and is unlikely to be meaningfully affected by the cuts.

Joystiq said:
"Should we not release a major title from Blizzard this year, we would expect for planning purposes to launch a minimum of two Blizzard titles in 2012."
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/09/activision-at-least-two-blizzard-titles-coming-by-2012-diablo/

aegies said:
Activision also says the "peripheral business was not profitable in 2011."

vg247 said:
Activision just confirmed that there'll be no Hawk or music titles other than GH coming this year. Ergo, no DJ Hero 3.

aegies said:
activision says “Sales of mid-tier titles are being squeezed out.” non AAA, non-hardcore games didn't perform to expectations.

geoff said:
Activision also planning games based on Family Guy and the TV show Wipeout this year.

Wario64 said:
Call of Duty China being developed too. Free to play, microtransaction based

geoff said:
Activision will talk about the "content" and "services" for Call of Duty: Beachhead at a later date. Not today.

Wario64 said:
Diablo 3 coming along very well, but no release date locked in. No date set.

Wario64 said:
They're talking about Beachhead [the new CoD studio announced today]. Best in class online community, exclusive content, services to Call of Duty. Support in-game integration. Project is in over a year. Didn't really talk much about it

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/09/beachhead-studio-to-work-on-call-of-duty-digital-platform/
"Beachhead will create the best-in-class online community, exclusive content, and a suite of services to supercharge the online gaming experience like never before. The platform will support in-game integration and bring online experiences and console play together for the first time. The platform has been in development for over a year and we're very excited about the increased value we can bring to the community. We look forward to sharing more specifics on this exciting new endeavor with you in the near future."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/09/activision-announces-beachhead-studios.aspx
The new division will entirely focus on creating a new digital platform and services for the Call of Duty franchise.

Announced in Activision's conference call this afternoon, this new studio is expected to follow in the massively successful footsteps of Blizzard's Battle.net service. With the high profit margins enjoyed by direct digital distribution, you can bet that Activision is drooling at the thought of bringing the huge Call of Duty audience over to that model.

Is this the first step toward the long-rumored pay-for-play Call of Duty online mode? Activision hasn't said yet, but statements about how Beachhead will be creating "special services" for Call of Duty are easy to read as such.

activisionafterhourskh5k.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
miladesn said:
updated the op with notes from the conference.
Actually, I think we'll break out one more thread for their 2011 line-up since this topic kind of deserves its own.

Edit:

Here we go.

DaBuddaDa

Diablo...3....:(((

The three year Blizzard cycle is broken. I do not know anything anymore.

Is "Call of Duty: Beachhead" the name of the China CoD?

activision says “Sales of mid-tier titles are being squeezed out.” non AAA, non-hardcore games didn't perform to expectations.
Wait so if I'm reading this correctly, it's pretty awesome news, right?

They will make more hardcore AAA titles?

EYEL1NER

Well, no new Hawk games might be a good sign. Instead of cranking out a bad board-based game, maybe they will put some effort into one.
No DJ Hero 3, shitty news.
Possibility of no more 'mid-tier titles'=shitty news.
Family Guy- and 'whatever the fuck Wipeout is-'based game=shitty news.

Well, you're saving me money Activision, so I guess I can thank you for that.

Sad for all my gaf friends who wont be playing diablo any time soon, but happy for myself as I can delay buying my gaming PC :S

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Keeping milking franchises to death Activision. What are you going to do when people get tired of CoD? Squeeze Blizzard to death?

DaBuddaDa

The Lamonster said:
Wait so if I'm reading this correctly, it's pretty awesome news, right?

They will make more hardcore AAA titles?
Not really. It just means we won't see games like Blur, GoldenEye or Singularity.

U2NUMB

"Activision just confirmed that there'll be no Hawk or music titles other than GH coming this year. Ergo, no DJ Hero 3."

Wait what? I thought even GH was dead for this year.

And also.. instead of great games like Singularity and Blur we are gonna get a Family Guy game... great.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Jesus Tap-dancin' Christ, no Diablo in 2011? Ahh well, plenty else to look forward to what with, uh.... that one fps, and that sequel to that blockbus.... *runs off to cry in the corner*

Gowans

God Acti are so lucky to have Blizard. I can wait for Diablo 3, sure it will be aces.

The writing was on the wall years ago, now to are what happens with CoD and how they get free to play to the huge console audience and how the plat owners deal with it.

Thank god for Rock Band.

What did Bliz get out of the deal with Acti exactly????

The Bookerman said:
No Blizzard products in 2011? Hell how long does it take to make diablo 3?

it's like 8 years in the making.
I say let them take their time.

The user created content in StarCraft II hasn't really even started to blossom yet, so I can wait for D3.

KAL2006

Banned
I am actually glad Diablo 3 is not coming out in 2011, then I will miss out on MvC3, Mortal Kombat, Twisted Metal, Uncharted 3, ES Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Witcher 2, Saints Row 3, Dark Souls, Crysis 2 and etc.

Diablo 3 would have just consumed me and I wouldn't touch any other game.

DaBuddaDa

So for the majority of GAF, the only thing to look forward to from Activision this year is Call of Duty? And I assume the two 2012 Blizzard titles will be Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2-2?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DaBuddaDa said:
So for the majority of GAF, the only thing to look forward to from Activision this year is Call of Duty?

I hope you love microtransactions. By microtransactions, we mean $20 map packs that will "super charge" the Call of Duty franchise.

There have been leaks over the past few months about a new Spyro game coming out called Spyro's Kingdom, a few sources list it as Wii and DS only, with one just found saying it'll also be on PS3 and 360 as well as PC as a first in the series IIRC, set for release on September 30th, Activision predictably has been killing evidence of it from resumes and the like.

I hope we hear something about this soon.

Salz01

I think I'm starting to get really pissed at no Diablo3. Seriously, I almost think its vaporware at this point and all the Blizzcon's previews they did was some fucking magic trick. Why announce the game 5 years early to build hype and then just keep it in the oven till they 'feel' like it its ready. Since its been announced, I've had two kids, two wives, moved states, switched jobs, drank gallons of Schnaps, cried over MJ, and I'm going to play Duke Fucking Nukem before this game... Gimme the damn game already before I loose a nut to old age.

ithorien

Gowans007 said:
God Acti are so lucky to have Blizard. I can wait for Diablo 3, sure it will be aces.

The writing was on the wall years ago, now to are what happens with CoD and how they get free to play to the huge console audience and how the plat owners deal with it.

Thank god for Rock Band.

What did Bliz get out of the deal with Acti exactly????

They got greed and bad decisions from the Activision deal.

Tucah

you speak so well
Not surprised at all at: No more GH (band game genre is over), D3 not coming out this year (did anyone honestly expect this?) and microtransaction CoD.

However, I was curious about True Crime and I'm pretty bummed that was cancelled.

DaBuddaDa

Salz01 said:
I think I'm starting to get really pissed at no Diablo3. Seriously, I almost think its vaporware at this point and all the Blizzcon's previews they did was some fucking magic trick. Why announce the game 5 years early to build hype and then just keep it in the oven till they 'feel' like it its ready. Since its been announced, I've had two kids, two wives, moved states, switched jobs, drank gallons of Schnaps, cried over MJ, and I'm going to play Duke Fucking Nukem before this game... Gimme the damn game already before I loose a nut to old age.
It hasn't even been 3 years since it was announced, c'mon now. Announced June 28, 2008, that's 2 years 8 months ago.

Zzoram

Salz01 said:
They anounced sc2 3 years before release with gameplay footage, most games don't show gameplay until months before release. When was diablo 3 officially announced?

Takao

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Pretty much. I have zero expectations for the Transformers movie tie in game.

Given they killed the studio who made Revenge of the Fallen's console game, do we even know who's doing Dark of the Moon?

Diablo III is probably coming Summer 2012. Diablo 2, Warcraft III, and Starcraft II were all released during the summertime.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zzoram said:
They anounced sc2 3 years before release with gameplay footage, most games don't show gameplay until months before release. When was diablo 3 officially announced?
June 28, 2008.

This will be the longest reveal -> release in Blizzard's history.

Cerberus

Zzoram said:

June 2008. Was hopeful for a release this year since WCIII, WoW, and SCII were released 3 years after their announcement. :(

2 Blizzard games in 2012! :)

Given the fact that there's no Tony Hawk in 2011, would it be safe to assume that Neversoft are working on a reboot? Activision have the licence until 2015.

sam27368

Banned
paranoidfortean said:
they are betting heavy on COD. this won't go well.
They did the exact same with GH. But this time it's worse, not only is it going to destroy a brand, it's going to destroy a genre.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Cerberus said:
June 2008. Was hopeful for a release this year since WCIII, WoW, and SCII were released 3 years after their announcement. :(

2 Blizzard games in 2012! :)
A game and an expansion.

jluedtke said:
Since there's already a game called "Wipeout", what are they going to call their Wipeout-the-show-based-game?
They've already released Wipeout the Game for the DS and Wii, and it was one of the best-selling Wii games of 2010.

Salz01

DaBuddaDa said:
It hasn't even been 3 years since it was announced, c'mon now. Announced June 28, 2008, that's 2 years 8 months ago.

I was rounding up, if it comes out in 2012 (assuming it does).

DaBuddaDa

sam27368 said:
They did the exact same with GH. But this time it's worse, not only is it going to destroy a brand, it's going to destroy a genre.
Nah. Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, Halo 5, Brink, Homefront, Duke, and RAGE will do the genre just fine.

Top Bottom