• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision: Blizzard In 2011 Or 2+ In 2012, CoD f2p, [Up: Neversoft New IP?]

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
sam27368 said:
They did the exact same with GH. But this time it's worse, not only is it going to destroy a brand, it's going to destroy a genre.

Eh, it's not that big a deal. The industry's head is disappearing up it's arse with publishers falling over each other trying to one-up CoD. The FPS genre will survive the bursting of the CoD bubble, and it will probably end up being better for it.

DaBuddaDa

Zzoram said:
Well then, Heart of the Swarm Q1 2012, Diablo 3 Q2 or Q3 2012, maybe WoWx4 Q4 2012?
I could see it more like:

Diablo 3 - March 2012
Swarm - September 2012
WoWx4 - December 2012

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zzoram said:
Well then, Heart of the Swarm Q1 2012, Diablo 3 Q2 or Q3 2012, maybe WoWx4 Q4 2012?
They didn't rule out 2011 actually.

It could be Q4 2011 and Q1 2012 for HotS/Diablo 3.

Which is which would be the real question if that's the case.

However, I could easily see both in 2012 to avoid the ridiculous Q4 this year.

They are going to burn out the CoD franchise, it would be a very good time for EA to release Battlefield 3 in the next two years.

DaBuddaDa

anonnumber6 said:
They are going to burn out the CoD franchise, it would be a very good time for EA to release Battlefield 3 in the next two years.
Confirmed for late 2011 already, isn't it? All that new fangled Gameinformer stuff that just came out about it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Seems pretty obvious to me.

Diablo 3 is the game that's possible for 2011, subject to change to turn into early 2012.

Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm is slated for 2012.

The "at least two" involves the possibility of WoW Expansion #4 in late 2012.

DaBuddaDa

Kagari said:
Yep and I will continue to not support them.
I wish I had that kind of self-control. But I'd be less whole having never played CoD4 multiplayer, Blur, or Singularity over the past couple years.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so the WOW expansion is a lock for 2012, Diablo may be pushed into 2012 and hey maybe Heart of the Swarm will be ready in 2012 as well.

isny

napkin dispenser
miladesn said:
updated the op with notes from the conference.

Two in 2012 for Blizzard = WoW expansion which will be unveiled at Blizzcon in October, and either the first SC II expansion or Diablo...probably Diablo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Blackface said:
Diablo 3 already looked graphically unimpressive at Blizconn. Dunno what to think about 2012.
name three games in the same genre that look better?

EYEL1NER

Kagari said:
Yep and I will continue to not support them.
Welp, without Guitar Hero or DJ Hero and less mid-tier games, there is nothing really for me to buy from them, so I'll not support them with you.

And to think I've been paying full price for Guitar Hero games on launch day knowing I could get them cheaper in a month to try to support someone...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Blackface said:
Diablo 3 already looked graphically unimpressive at Blizconn. Dunno what to think about 2012.
I really don't think so.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
"Beachhead will create the best-in-class online community, exclusive content, and a suite of services to supercharge the online gaming experience like never before.
Like a boss

Originally Posted by aegies:
activision says “Sales of mid-tier titles are being squeezed out.” non AAA, non-hardcore games didn't perform to expectations.

Originally Posted by geoff:
Activision also planning games based on Family Guy and the TV show Wipeout this year.

--------------------

So don't those two statements completely contradict each other?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
speculawyer said:
Originally Posted by aegies:
activision says “Sales of mid-tier titles are being squeezed out.” non AAA, non-hardcore games didn't perform to expectations.

Originally Posted by geoff:
Activision also planning games based on Family Guy and the TV show Wipeout this year.

--------------------

So don't those two statements completely contradict each other?
I'm guessing that those will be low tier shovelware, not mid tier.

MMaRsu said:
What a shell of a company
Yeah . . . I don't understand the plan. It is almost like they are going through a planned collapse. They've cancelled a pile of projects and laid-off 500 people.

GavinGT

Banned
Jeez, how many Call of Duty studios do they need? I'm gonna go ahead and say it, CoD sales peaked with Black Ops. The market will react negatively to 2-3 CoD games in a single year.

hamchan said:
Mid tier is stuff like prototype, singularity, blur?

Basically anything that's not Call of Duty or made by Blizzard.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Father_Brain said:
Anything about 3DS/NGP support?
The no music games in 2011 comment probably means that they canceled DJ Hero 3DS.

We know they're making (or porting) a CoD game for the NGP though.

But yeah, Activision barely has handheld output outside of Zhu-Zhu.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nirolak said:
However, I could easily see both in 2012 to avoid the ridiculous Q4 this year.
December is always barren and Blizzard is the only company that can get away with a launch at anytime regardless of competition.

speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . I don't understand the plan. It is almost like they are going through a planned collapse. They've cancelled a pile of projects and laid-off 500 people.
Maximize profits for short term. As long as they can bail out before it comes crashing down, and their goal is to just get as much cash in as possible. It makes sense.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Lamonster said:
I say let them take their time.

The user created content in StarCraft II hasn't really even started to blossom yet, so I can wait for D3.

Cause SC2's tools are lame.

GavinGT

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Wow, anyone have Activision stock? Time to dump? Activision ain't looking too hot right now for the foreseeable future.

Cutting employees and focusing on profitable franchises are only good moves for stockholders.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
nextgeneration said:
Wow, anyone have Activision stock? Time to dump? Activision ain't looking too hot right now for the foreseeable future.
[Nintex] said:
Did you see their profits?
GavinGT said:
Cutting employees and focusing on profitable franchises are only good moves for stockholders.
activisionafterhourskh5k.png

markao

No Blizzard game in 2011, it should be disappointing, but deep down I know, as it's the case with Valve, the end result will be worth the wait. So more a meehhh, no Diablo in 2011 :(, but I still have SC2 to fully dig into, so just take your time guys.

SloppehSlawlz

Neo Member
I don't understand, where in that quote does it say no blizzard game in 2011?

edit: Just read it. That really doesn't tell me that D3 isn't coming out this year. To me, all it says is that because blizzard hasn't released any dates yet, Activision can't really say that D3 is coming out this year, because they don't know?

J-Rzez

Blackface said:

Blizzard is not known to be impressive with their visuals and this is no different, it's usually about their gameplay and content. Usually.

Strider2K99 said:
Were people really surprised D3 was not coming out this year?

Pretty much. I always thought there was a "chance" it could launch this year, but I wrote it off basically. At least there's Torchlight 2 right?

So it sounds like Activision is doing something good. Focusing resources onto "Titan", it should get this out sooner than 4-5 years as per blizzard's normal work expectancies. And hopefully, they'll have some tech guys there to make it actually look not "dated" at it's launch.

I can't wait for details on it though. Especially if it does turn out to be a FPSMMO. A large chunk of the Blizzard community will be on suicide watch, and I'll be excited for a real MMOFPS.

Acosta

Activision management is a clusterfuck, the numbers of Call of Duty and Blizzard can't hide the gigantic drop of value they have created on their portfolio.

Haunted

F2P CoD game for the Chinese market is directly countering Crytek's offering. :eek:

Also, Diablo III and Heart of the Swarm next year (or one of them this year) = hot!

Top Bottom