• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Dance with Dragons" publication date revealed!!! [aSoIaF unmarked spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
For years we've get trolled on GAF with various date releases of Dance with dragons...now it's finally real!

a-dance-with-dragons_240.jpg

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/dance-with-dragons-date/

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

A Dance With Dragons will be published on July 12. The manuscript is huge — the publisher estimates the hardcover edition will run more than 900 pages, putting it about the same length as the longest book in the series, A Storm of Swords. Schedule your summer vacation accordingly.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What took so long?
GEORGE R. R. MARTIN: I’m not sure I have a good answer. If I did, I would have taken less time. It’s enormous. It’s as long as A Storm of Swords. It’s very complicated. I have a lot of characters and points of view. And I’ve been doing a ton of rewriting, trying to get it where I wanted it to be. Some of these chapters I’ve rewritten more times than I can count before I’m satisfied with them.

Can you tease something from the book?
I don’t want to spoil any surprises. I can say all the characters people have been waiting for are there: Daenerys, Jon Snow, and Tyrion. There’s also new characters, and viewpoints from characters who did not have viewpoints before.

Hari Seldon

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Oh shit they didn't say the year :(

ultron87

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SyNapSe

!!!!!

Coincidentally, I've loved Martin's last update to the website for these last 3 years. "Hey guys, I know I said my next update would be announcing the release but uh it's not! In fact, I'm going to have to miss some damn conference in Japan to write this stupid thing. Which means it should be out fall 2008. Stop fucking emailing about when it'll be released now! Here is a list of some other fantasy writers who actually write books for their series. Feel free to read them!"

3 years later...

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
shintoki said:
I say bullshit! If the Donkey ever gets the carrot, then what is left for the Donkey?

Kinky Kelly

yacobod

Banned
FUCK YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although the book isn't completed so it gives me some pause, hope it comes out on that date.

Peff

You know, I can't feel anything after so long. I guess until I see the book in my hands I won't believe it!

Peru

I feel like I'm cheating. Started reading GoT a few weeks back and now I'll get to read all five books without break. Well, at least there's #6 to wait for.

Now HBO's got 4 more seasons to go with if the series is a success though, and by that time #6 SHOULD be out, and then there's only one left.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Peru said:
I feel like I'm cheating. Started reading GoT a few weeks back and now I'll get to read all five books without break. Well, at least there's #6 to wait for.

Now HBO's got 4 more seasons to go with if the series is a success though, and by that time #6 SHOULD be out, and then there's only one left.

Wait 6 years like the rest of us! :D

YES YES YES YES YEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

Now hurry up and finish so you can start on The Winds of Winter!

Fjordson

Oh my god. Had to make sure I was awake after reading the OP. Can't believe it's finally coming out. Time to re-read the first four!

Fjordson said:
Oh my god. Had to make sure I was awake after reading the OP. Can't believe it's finally coming out. Time to re-read the first four!

Me too! But I will do it now via the new Kindle Editions that will be out later this and -- and are on sale for a limited-time.

thy_

Finally.

So the first season of Game of Thrones ends on the 12th of June and A Dance With Dragons comes a month later.
Wonder how much cross-promotion we are going to see.

mr. puppy

Banned
HOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHITHOLY SHIT

2196179880082383274HIlMnK_ph.jpg

I WANTED TO BELIEVE

This allows me to set a re-read schedule.

Hmmm...what to do? Read Clash after GoT finishes airing on HBO? But that will put us close to July...and I MUST read it the first day it's available...and I probably can't read Clash/Storm/Feast in just a month (assuming GoT finishes airing in early June)

It would be weird to read Clash while I'm watching GoT the series though...

Eh...what to do..

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord. It has finally come.

I am almost afraid of reading it. The wait afterwards for the next book will be too much to bear.

aceface

Don't the British versions of of Song of Ice and Fire always get released a few months before the US versions? I remember ordering Feast on amazon.co.uk to get it early. Is July 12th the worldwide release date then?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Dark FaZe said:
2196179880082383274HIlMnK_ph.jpg

I WANTED TO BELIEVE

This allows me to set a re-read schedule.

Hmmm...what to do? Read Clash after GoT finishes airing on HBO? But that will put us close to July...and I MUST read it the first day it's available...and I probably can't read Clash/Storm/Feast in just a month (assuming GoT finishes airing in early June)

It would be weird to read Clash while I'm watching GoT the series though...

Eh...what to do..

It's doable, I re-read all of them in 2-3 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom