• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Ransom sequel coming to consoles summer 2011, PC 2012

dnm2_t.gif

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari 2

River City Ransom 2 In The Works & Kunio-Kun Dodgeball Smashing WiiWare
Siliconera said:
Miracle Kidz also told Impress Watch about their future projects. River City Ransom 2 (Downtown Hot-Blooded Story 2) is in development and staff from the original game are working on it. An online version for PCs is in the pipeline slated for release next year, but before that Miracle Kidz will release River City Ransom 2 for consoles this summer. No specific systems were specified, but Miracle Kidz developed games for Xbox 360 and now Wii.

which is referencing this Game Watch article. In its original language:
また、同社では、「ダウンタウン熱血物語」のオリジナル開発チームと当時からのコアユーザーのトップメンバーが集まり、「ダウンタウン熱血物語」の正式な流れを汲む新作「ダウンタウン熱血物語2」を、PC版オンラインゲームタイトルとして2012年サービス開始を目標に、コンソールタイトルとして2011 年夏先行発売を予定しているという。

Taking a look at Miracle Kidz' website, it seems this is actually really old news that has flown under the radar until now somehow? Their blog links to the character page they have for the game way back in July 2010. The sprites shown remind me of GBA River City Ransom EX in detail.

sueshiro.gif
kurenuma.gif
shimao.gif
murofuji.gif

Beardz

OMFROIUTNGIURNTGUIRTNGIURNTG!!!!!!!!

MY FUCKING DREAM!!! I WANT TO CRY!

edit:

ahem... I'm very excited for this news, I hope the game retains the charm of the first one. RCR is one of the games that I can play today and have the same fun I had as a kid. :)

akira28

Now I await the announcement for the Crystalis sequel.

But I will buy this for sure. Just as long as I can have my Acro Circus and of course Fatal Steps Technique + Texas Boots.

Wasn't there already a 'sequel'? I don't mean dodgeball or the crash games, I just remember a sequel of some kind that didn't look anything like the first one...on S.N.E.S I think

Salsa

read this earlier and saw something about PC VERSION ONLINE and i was kinda confused

but yeah, if it ends up being a true sequel, then holy shit

Parasite Eve
Punch Out!
Kid Icarus
Versus Series
Mega Man Legends
River City Ransom
Demon's Crest

Well shit, I think that nearly completes my personal "Franchises I'd like to see return this generation" list.

Now if only Capcom could do something about that last one...

Davidion

Where's Crash n' the Boyz 2?

I want them to merge the swimming and rooftop jumping and make an infinity pool jumping beatdown game.

BobTheFork said:
Wasn't there already a 'sequel'? I don't mean dodgeball or the crash games, I just remember a sequel of some kind that didn't look anything like the first one...on S.N.E.S I think
There was an SNES Kunio side-scrolling fighter that has often been referred to as "River City Ransom 2", but based on the Japanese names it's more like "Renegade 2". Different sub-series.

JoshuaJSlone said:
There was an SNES Kunio side-scrolling fighter that has often been referred to as "River City Ransom 2", but based on the Japanese names it's more like "Renegade 2". Different sub-series.
Yeah, that's the one. I remember freaking out there was RCR 2 then I said WTF is this?!

TreIII

MightyHedgehog said:
Whoa. I've never seen that one before. Neato shit, man!

Go watch the rest of the goods in that guy's channel. Can't say as such for the DS Kunio games, but the PC Doujin fan games are all awesome stuff. A full-fledged "expansion" for both Downtown Special Jidaigeki (Technos Samurai) as well as Kakuto Densetsu (the game that beat Powerstone and Smash Bros. to the punch by several years) are but touching the tip of the iceberg...

Davidion said:
How about Riki vs. Kunio sequel? Online simultaneous 32 player battle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sltd_fNXgwI

DO IT

Wait a few more years. For now, watch what they have done with the doujin expansion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4_MLCPEwnI

RedSwirl

So I basically need to go ahead and check out RCR1 on Virtual Console. People have actually compared Yakuza tao RCR. Is that a just comparison?

TreIII

Davidion said:
I remember you as being the big Kunio fan on here from way back. lol

That looks pretty impressive; is that online or bots?

Bots. Like I said, it likely will be a while before they get around to getting KD online. Considering everything else that's possible with the engine though, I'm sure that will likely come some day.

Top Bottom